I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hyatt 2 free nights bonus is going away on 6/29, being replaced with a 40K point bonus. Noooo! It was part of my longer term plan for each of us to get one so that we could use the 4 certs for a trip to Japan in 2019. There's no way I can meet the minimum spends on my new CIP and 2 Hyatt cards at the same time now that I can't pay my mortgage with Plastiq. I think I'm going to try Tio, even though I haven't seen many DPs on it yet.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/hyatt-sign-up-bonus-drops-june-29/

I tried skimming through, so sorry if I missed it. For Freedom restaurants next quarter - does anybody know if restaurants inside of the Disneyland park post as restaurants for the 5% back? TIA!

i believe it does, i know my CSR codes travel at some QSR places in Disneyland.

The Hyatt 2 free nights bonus is going away on 6/29, being replaced with a 40K point bonus. Noooo! It was part of my longer term plan for each of us to get one so that we could use the 4 certs for a trip to Japan in 2019. There's no way I can meet the minimum spends on my new CIP and 2 Hyatt cards at the same time now that I can't pay my mortgage with Plastiq. I think I'm going to try Tio, even though I haven't seen many DPs on it yet.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/hyatt-sign-up-bonus-drops-june-29/

well damn, i have to plans to go anywhere, but that was one of the cards i was planning to apply for the future. Once this goes into effect, its no longer desirable to me. I guess ill stick with my SPG card instead.

Ok so after y'all have explained the $450 sounds a little less extreme. If Im understanding correctly to go forward with this card I need to contact Chase and have them upgrade my current CSP card to the CSR, instead of outright applying? Then after 1 yr downgrade it to a freedom to get the 5% categories.
Sorry if I'm not following along.

No do not call CHase to upgrade card. To get the bonus you have to apply for the card. If they ask why you need a CSR and a CSP tell them you want to separate your personal and business expenses and you like the idea of keeping the same bonus categories.

wait..... I'm trying to follow your advice here- you're saying book swolphin thru UR portal,using points or money? If you're booking on points,how are you getting the $300 credit? And likewise,how are you getting any SPG points for booking thru UR portal (all dependent on inventory available too) I like your thinking, and would love to utilize it myself, but how? ALSO....anyone know if parking fees at Swolphin would show up as travel fees on the CSR? I was thinking of booking a room,(on points) but I need one night parking(25) a rollout bed(25) and the resort fee is 28..... would those 3 fees categorize as travel spend,making them credit back as part of the $300?

You can pay part of the amount with your card and part with points. When you check in to swolphin tell them you forgot to add your SPG number to the reservation. Then you should be able to earn points for the stay.

You can pay part of the amount with your card and part with points. When you check in to swolphin tell them you forgot to add your SPG number to the reservation. Then you should be able to earn points for the stay.

When I made a reservation through the Chase UR portal yesterday there was actually a screen with a field for hotel loyalty name and number (or at least something along those lines). I was booking a Disney owned property, so I just skipped over that part. I definitely do not recall seeing that section when I booked through the portal a few months back. I'm wondering if the SPG number were entered there if the points would be awarded.

well damn, i have to plans to go anywhere, but that was one of the cards i was planning to apply for the future. Once this goes into effect, its no longer desirable to me. I guess ill stick with my SPG card instead.

40K points will still be useful for a lot of places, but I wanted to live the high life at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for a few days.
Someone is speculating the card will soon fall under 5/24, too, since Chase and Hyatt just renewed their partnership.

40K points will still be useful for a lot of places, but I wanted to live the high life at the Park Hyatt Tokyo for a few days.
Someone is speculating the card will soon fall under 5/24, too, since Chase and Hyatt just renewed their partnership.

categories suck for the hyatt card. i could just use my UR points on it. Thats what i originally been doing. haha

I tried skimming through, so sorry if I missed it. For Freedom restaurants next quarter - does anybody know if restaurants inside of the Disneyland park post as restaurants for the 5% back? TIA!

I very rarely charge snacks and meals to credit cards at Disneyland; I try to charge everything to Disney Gift Cards that I buy at a discount. Nevertheless, when I was at DLR last month and didn't have a gift card on me, I charged an ice cream scoop from Clarabelle's to my CSR. It posted with the 3x dining bonus like this:

CLARABELLE'S ICE CR
This transaction posted on May **, 2017
Additional merchant and transaction information
ANAHEIM, CA 928020000 US
In-person transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
How we calculate rewards

+ 3 Points per $1 earned on dining
Total Points

Yes, a scoop of ice cream cost me $4.73.

Beware: I've read mixed results for restaurants or dining locations at the parks, like some could code as entertainment, theme parks, etc.

You can add all of your airline, hotel and rental car loyalty program info into your travel profile on the Chase UR travel portal so that it's ready to go when you book. We booked one night with points at a Best Western near our home airport before our January WDW trip. I double checked when we checked in and the front desk said the loyalty number was already in their system. You can have up to 9 profiles, so you can add family and friends that might travel with you.

If tit becomes part of the 5/24, will it count for those that applied before the policy changed?

When I made a reservation through the Chase UR portal yesterday there was actually a screen with a field for hotel loyalty name and number (or at least something along those lines). I was booking a Disney owned property, so I just skipped over that part. I definitely do not recall seeing that section when I booked through the portal a few months back. I'm wondering if the SPG number were entered there if the points would be awarded.
I do remember adding my AA number when booking air thru Chase portal, so I believe there is a place for hotel/air loyalty programs.

I very rarely charge snacks and meals to credit cards at Disneyland; I try to charge everything to Disney Gift Cards that I buy at a discount. Nevertheless, when I was at DLR last month and didn't have a gift card on me, I charged an ice cream scoop from Clarabelle's to my CSR. It posted with the 3x dining bonus like this:

CLARABELLE'S ICE CR
This transaction posted on May **, 2017
Additional merchant and transaction information
ANAHEIM, CA 928020000 US
In-person transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
How we calculate rewards

+ 3 Points per $1 earned on dining
Total Points

Yes, a scoop of ice cream cost me $4.73.

Beware: I've read mixed results for restaurants or dining locations at the parks, like some could code as entertainment, theme parks, etc.
We found that actual restaurants coded 3x, carts did not. Food & Wine kiosks were 3x. Extra parties, i.e. Halloween, Dessert party, etc did not (found this at both DL & WDW)

Well, I bit the bullet and applied and got approved for the Southwest cc for the 60,000 points. I just got the spend done for the CSP within a month of having it and now to I need to get the spend on the SW cc. This is my third Chase cc in 4 months (2nd in one month) so I was surprised by the high limit, but also the interest rate was higher than my other cards that all have the lowest rate :(. I pay the cards off each month so it doesn't matter, but still bummed.

Random PSA: if you have super old and inactive credit cards still open, might be worth checking for any rewards that haven't been cashed out. I got an email from Capital One about a card I don't even remember having - they said they were closing it for inactivity and I had rewards remaining. I looked into it and found it was last used over a decade ago. At any rate, I was able to cash out the rewards for a $10 Target gift card (which I'll use toward a Disney Gift Card) and a 92 cent check they're sending me. :rotfl: It's not a lot, but it can probably buy me some Casey's corn dog nuggets or something. :thumbsup2

Random PSA: if you have super old and inactive credit cards still open, might be worth checking for any rewards that haven't been cashed out. I got an email from Capital One about a card I don't even remember having - they said they were closing it for inactivity and I had rewards remaining. I looked into it and found it was last used over a decade ago. At any rate, I was able to cash out the rewards for a $10 Target gift card (which I'll use toward a Disney Gift Card) and a 92 cent check they're sending me. :rotfl: It's not a lot, but it can probably buy me some Casey's corn dog nuggets or something. :thumbsup2

If the Capital One card doesn't have an annual fee, you should see if you can keep it open because it has a positive effect on your average age of accounts. I have two old no-AF credit cards that I got when I was 18 that I keep open with a charge or two a year.

If the Capital One card doesn't have an annual fee, you should see if you can keep it open because it has a positive effect on your average age of accounts. I have two old no-AF credit cards that I got when I was 18 that I keep open with a charge or two a year.
The email was pretty clear that they were closing it and there was no chance of changing their minds. However, this was only a $300 limit business card, so I'm not too worried what it will do to the overall picture. I still have older, unused, no-fee cards that are hanging out on my record since 20-ish years ago. In fact, one of the oldest is still active because it had a "0% interest for life of the balance" offer on it, so instead of paying it off when we were eliminating our debt back in 2009, we just put the money in savings and let it pull the minimums automatically each month...I think it still has like 3 years before it pays itself off. :rotfl:

No do not call CHase to upgrade card. To get the bonus you have to apply for the card. If they ask why you need a CSR and a CSP tell them you want to separate your personal and business expenses and you like the idea of keeping the same bonus categories.

Oh ok. I should call and change my current CSP to the freedom then?

Question: does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy through the Southwest shopping portal to keep SW points from expiring? I was all set to buy a 99 cent iTunes song but apparently iTunes doesn't participate anymore . . . maybe a small-dollar gift card?

Question: does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy through the Southwest shopping portal to keep SW points from expiring? I was all set to buy a 99 cent iTunes song but apparently iTunes doesn't participate anymore . . . maybe a small-dollar gift card?

Does SW allow you to donate miles and extend your points life like United and AA? That can be a win-win :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter