I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thank you!

On a side note, I forgot I also have a Chase Slate card that's 10+ yrs old. I know I need to keep it open for my age of credit but is it possible to have it changed into a freedom so I can at least get some points if out if? I have nt used it in forever but I know I need to in order for it to remain open. (Learned that the hard way
with my amazon card that was closed for non use :oops: )

it looks like you can PC Slate to a Freedom/CFU

edit: YMMV.

Hey y'all, need some advice.

Just tried applying for the Disney visa card to get the $200 GC bonus.
When i hit submit, it gave me an error msg and to try again later. I don't want to keep applying and hurt my credit. any idea if it went through and how i can check if the application got approved or denied?

TY!!
We had this trouble when an aunt was trying to use our referral link for that card. That happened twice on my computer, then we switched to my fiances laptop and submitted it that way with no error. She didn't have any issues with multiple inquiries. We did give it 20ish minutes to see if she got an email from Chase thanking her for her application before trying again.

We had this trouble when an aunt was trying to use our referral link for that card. That happened twice on my computer, then we switched to my fiances laptop and submitted it that way with no error. She didn't have any issues with multiple inquiries. We did give it 20ish minutes to see if she got an email from Chase thanking her for her application before trying again.

ty! i was also trying to use a referral link, maybe that is the problem.

DH got an offer today in the mail for the Citi Thank You Premier Card offering 50,000 points for $3,000 spend and $95 annual fee waived the first year. We do not have any citi cards and after getting the SW Companion pass, he is done with Chase for now. I've tried researching this afternoon and from what I can see, this would not be bad. I will say, if I'm understanding correctly that you can only have 1 active credit card earning TY points, that there's not a good way to really build up your TY point balance by adding other cards, but at the very least, we could use it for $625 worth of travel through their portal and cancel it next year.

I'm thinking I'm going to apply in the next couple of days, unless it seems like a bad choice. We also do not have any AmEx cards either if that matters.

Thanks!

Last question I think :laughing:. I got the SPG Amex and American Airlines MC on 3/28 and the CSP on 5/28. When would you reccomend going for the CSR?

I try to keep applications 3 months apart but may be breaking that rule next week since the Chase Hyatt as we know it is coming to an end.

Are you saying if you pay even a small amount with cash then you can get points for your stay? I can confirm if you use all UR points, you definitely do not get hotel points. On our trip we stayed at several Marriotts, a Hilton and a Choice Hotel. I put all of our hotel loyalty numbers in the UR portal. Two of the hotels even asked for our numbers and said it was not on the reservation. We received zero points for our stays. With the Hilton, I can see the stay and the zero points. With the Marriott and the Choice the stay doesn't even show up in our past visits. I thought it might at least count as nights for hotel status, but no dice.

No the cash has nothing to do with it. I was giving the pp advice on how to get the travel credit redeemed. Technically, you aren't supposed to be able to earn the hotel points when booking through the UR portal. Hotels want you to book direct through them to earn points not portals like Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia etc. The UR portal I believe is based on Expedia. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. This is why I said when you check in tell them you forgot to add your loyalty number. Sometimes that will work. YMMV. Now, airline miles you can always earn through the travel portals.

The UR portal I believe is based on Expedia.

I was just at the Westin Detroit Monday booked on UR. When I checked in she said "I see you booked through Expedia." So yep it's Expedia. No, I didn't get credit points or stay wise. Yes, she was able to access my SPG number for my gold number verification (whoo hoo upgraded room and free wifi) but no, no points. As @calypso726 said YMMV.

A few questions about SW card and getting CP. I currently have SW Plus card. I got it in 2014. I would like to get the 60,000 bonus points for a Plus and Premier card. Do I need to\can I cancel my current one and immediately get it? Can I apply for both the Premier card and Plus card at the same time? Do I just need to apply by June 29 or do they have to be approved by then?

on a side note- in the cashback monitor I've found a new (to me) portal called Giving assistant- anyone use this? any good or bad reviews?

I've used Giving Assistant. It's legit. I linked it to a Paypal account and my cash back showed up just fine (after the typical holding period for pending earnings). I got email confirmations that I earned cash back, and emails when payment had been sent.

I have numerous portal accounts, and I just go with the one with the highest cash back.

A few questions about SW card and getting CP. I currently have SW Plus card. I got it in 2014. I would like to get the 60,000 bonus points for a Plus and Premier card. Do I need to\can I cancel my current one and immediately get it? Can I apply for both the Premier card and Plus card at the same time? Do I just need to apply by June 29 or do they have to be approved by then?

yes. https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/how-to-get-the-same-sign-up-bonus-twice/
yes. https://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/credit-card-application-restrictions/
yes. apply by June 29th

Last time it was a very long number with a dash in the middle (which is probably what you have). This time it was just a 9 digit number. Were you able to get your vendor confirmation number from Chase? That's what I had to do last time and then have Disney link it for me over the phone. The process wasn't super difficult. I'm just glad the confirmation number on the email worked this time because it saved me a few phone calls.

Where did you find the 9-digit number from your email? I have the long number with the dash in the middle and the trip id (which is 9 digits...a mix of numbers/letters) but neither of those are pulling up my reservation in MDE.

Did they post end date for 60k bonus? I don't see it on their website.

I recall seeing the 6/29 date on several blogs - don't know why I recall that, given that SW pulled out of our area a few years ago and I am way over 5/24 so no way am I applying for a SW card . . .

My goal is to go to Hawaii next year. We have 100,000 UR points. I should have 120,000 SW miles and CP within 3 months. We have to use both new SW cards the next 3 months so we won't earn any UR. We maxed out Freedom 5% the last 2 quarters. DH is 2/24 and I'm 3/24. We have 3 SW cards, CSP, and Freedom. We spend a lot on groceries and gas (at least $1000/month), which card should we go for next? And by next, I mean in 3 months. This is so exciting, trying to get to Hawaii for super cheap.

My goal is to go to Hawaii next year. We have 100,000 UR points. I should have 120,000 SW miles and CP within 3 months. We have to use both new SW cards the next 3 months so we won't earn any UR. We maxed out Freedom 5% the last 2 quarters. DH is 2/24 and I'm 3/24. We have 3 SW cards, CSP, and Freedom. We spend a lot on groceries and gas (at least $1000/month), which card should we go for next? And by next, I mean in 3 months. This is so exciting, trying to get to Hawaii for super cheap.
Another CSP or CSR?

Peeking in with a big Thank You to this thread!

Last August I found this thread while arranging my parent's 50th anniversary trip: a DCL Westbound Transatlantic cruise for them and my family of four. This thread taught me that I could buy flights with credit card miles.

Today my mom asked me how much I've "earned" through my new hobby, so I ran the numbers.

In ten months, I have, valuing things conservatively, earned over $20,000 in travel purchases and cash through credit card and bank account sign ups.

I've been able to purchase:
>$11,500 worth of business class flights for 6 people from NYC to Barcelona (with a "port excursion" stop in Vienna)
$1,400 worth of hotel rooms in Barcelona
$2,400 worth of flights from NYC to Hawaii
>$800 worth of hotel nights in Hawaii
>$2,500 cash from bank account sign up bonuses
>145,000 UR points remaining with a value of $1,450 cash or $2,175 redeemed as cash for travel

And it is all because of you folks. I cannot thank you guys enough!!

You and your husband can do 2-Player mode, so you each can apply for the same cards if there's a good bonus, or strategically decide one of you will apply for one card and the other apply for something else or not (for example, to stay under 5/24).

In the short term, while you and your husband are still under 5/24, I'd suggest focusing on Chase cards that will earn you the most UR points and give you the best redemption value because you can use those points for flights or a stay at Aulani (or any number of other accommodations in Hawaii).

You can go for another CSP, if you don't have two already, which will give you another 50,000 UR points.

The next obvious choice is the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR), which could earn you 50,000 UR points after $4,000 spend/3 months (or double that if both of you apply), and stretches the value of all your UR points by giving you 50% more value in travel redemption through the UR portal.

When you’ve earned the bonuses from the Sapphire cards, you can product change them to more Freedoms, since you’ve been maxing out the categories; or to a Freedom Unlimited, which you can use for general, non-bonus category spend to earn 1.5x UR points for everything else – which then stretches to 2.25x UR points when you transfer the points and redeem them through a CSR. Obviously, one of you should keep the CSR. If you’re product changing within one year, you may first need to change to a no-fee Sapphire, then to the CF/CFU.

Longer term, you may want to look at an airline card that will earn you miles to fly to Hawaii. I don’t know where you’re based, so I can’t give you specific suggestions about what airline services your local airport with routes to Hawaii. But Southwest doesn’t fly to Hawaii, so you’ll need something else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter