I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all done with getting things back in order for tomorrow but thought I would take a little break and post about my 5 night/6 day Texas trip.

Use of points:
-Flights-Southwest using my CP.
Arrival to Dallas 6,458 RR's +$5.6 taxes. Cash price for the flight was $127. Redemption value 1.9c/point with the CP (+additional $5.6 taxes) 3.9c/pt.
Departure from Austin 6,095 RR's +$5.6 taxes. Cash price 135. Redemption value 2.2c/point with the CP (+additional %5.6 taxes) 4.4c/pt.

-Hotels
The first three nights were in Marriott properties.
Fairfield Waco South 17,500 pts and $167. With a redemption value of 0.95c/pt. A basic hotel mainly booked for the location and we did all the Magnolia stuff the next day. It overall was clean and a good redemption value. Has free breakfast which we did not partake.
Westin Downtown Austin (nights 2&3). 1st night used my 35,000 cert and 2nd night used my 50,000 cert. The hotel was 35,000 and I believe that is the standard redemption. 1st night cash rate was $293 with value of 0.83c/pt. It is a very good redemption value for the 35,000 cert, excellent location in downtown austin, with a rooftop deck with pool. No resort fee, but they will get you for parking, only option is valet for $49 a night. 2nd night cash rate was $283 and using my 50,000 cert value was 0.566c/pt. I used my 50,000 cert because I had no other plans for the cert at this time, and I wanted to stay in downtown austin and not pay >$200 a night somewhere else. I'm also all out of Marriott points and as the above demonstrates it does not make sense to transfer URs. Despite this, the redemption value was overall ok. The 50,000 cert is from the SPG lux, and the hotel was definitively worth the $150 from the AF.
The last two nights were at Miraval Austin, which is an adult only wellness resort. It is part of Hyatt. Miraval is a all inclusive resort (except alcohol) and includes many activities. This was booked by transferring UR's to Hyatt. You can book single occupancy for 45,000 and add a guest for 20,000, so 65,000 a night. In total I spent 130,000 UR's for these two nights. The resort is expensive and cash rate would have been $2,667 for the stay (without the taxes and additional fees). Redemption value 2c/pt. In addition to the included food and activities, each guests gets $175 resort credit per night. So we used this for a 100 minute massage and to try an ariel yoga class. Out of pocket for the little bit of overage for the the not included activities mainly the tax was less than $50. They also have a complimentary shuttle to and from the austin airport. There is a no tipping policy which is awesome. As well as a cell phone policy and it is suggested you keep your cell phone in its sleeping bag throughout your stay.
We packed our stay with activities at Miraval doing the included climbing wall, ropes course, cardio drumming, a couple mediation classes, and some time by the pool. Lots of activities that we didn't get to try. The food was good, lots of options and focus whole foods as well as options for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets. I was really looking forward to the Miraval stay, and I overall enjoyed it, but would be hesitant to recommend it and definitively is not worth the cash price of the resort. Mainly coming down to several lapses of communication at the resort and at times poor service. The beds which they brag about were just too soft for me with the down mattress pad on them. I'm interested in visiting their Arizona resort as it seems like with reviews people generally report some service problems which have been attributed to overall newness, so maybe in a few years it will be better.

Those are the highlights of what is related to credit card points. I did rent a vehicle to make the drive from Dallas to Austin and had it for 3 nights, that was the most expensive thing cash wise. We did a lot of sight seeing in Dallas and toured the AT&T stadium. Waco was focused on Magnolia. Austin is really an amazing city and we visited the LBJ Presidential Library, hiked, ate BBQ, and saw the trail of lights.

I called the HH diamond number and asked and they extended mine for me without any issue. As first she said "we can't extend certificates" and I asked if maybe the rules changed recently (I believe it was @calypso726 that posted they had); she checked, came back and said "they rules did change and I can extend for you!". She extended the certificate and booked an extra night at the WA Maldives for me on the same call!
Thanks! Very helpful to know.

Hey SFF, I just read that your school and mine will be football rivals next year! Our HS had a decrease in the male student population and opted to move down a category (wimps!)
I don’t blame them. I’d avoid that evil Catholic football factory if I were them too. 🤣 There were a lot of changes in enrollment this year - a ton of moves up and down. 5A WPIAL is the most solid district/class in the state in my opinion. Tons of great teams! I’m looking forward to some more local rivalries budding in our area with SF, USC, BP, and West A!

Last edited:
I just made DH's Norwegian side of the family holiday treat, lefse. It's like a crepe but made from potatoes. They put butter and sugar on it and roll it up (also sold at Epcot Norway bakery). It's a major undertaking around here with several griddles and electric frying pans going. Not sure how I ended up supplying the whole family with this!

Those are really good! They even sell them pre-made at the grocery stores in Norway. DD made sure we tried some when we were visiting her there. Yum. I can't imagine trying to make them - good for you!

Minor rant today. Adding DD2 and SIL to the travel party has not increased the joy of traveling. I guess it’s difficult for reality to live up to how one would fantasize a vacation going. I love having DH come but not sure he will come without the rest. DD1 and Mom need a fair amount of help on vacation but they are ALWAYS pleasant.

Hang in there!

Approved for the Amex Green! I was playing around with it and was able to in incognito pull with P2’s 25,000 Biz Gold support the 45,000 MR’s plus $150 Away credit. Doctor of Credit posted on it yesterday. Card on account now and they gave me the number to start the spend. Fingers crossed we can have a points posted party!

Even though I am almost done with Chase I hate to use a personal spot but this seems to have some value I think. Plus the only $2000 spend is nice. :)

Yum! Looks like you could have a Biz there.
Thank you! It is one of my "businesses" actually 🙂

This sounds like when my DH makes egg rolls. So many steps and kitchen ends up smelling horrible from the grease to fry them.
My in-laws fry theirs outside or in the garage. I just fry them inside and open a window 🙂

I am seriously considering the Hilton Aspire. Does anyone know if the AMEX Hilton airline credit will trigger if I purchase the SW early bird check in? I just booked my flights to Hawaii on opening day last week. I think the status and perks would hopefully benefit us next year. Staying at the Hilton Embassy Suites for 8 nights.

I am seriously considering the Hilton Aspire. Does anyone know if the AMEX Hilton airline credit will trigger if I purchase the SW early bird check in? I just booked my flights to Hawaii on opening day last week. I think the status and perks would hopefully benefit us next year. Staying at the Hilton Embassy Suites for 8 nights.
It works for the taxes or EBCI on SW. make sure to choose your airline on the Amex website before purchasing.

It works for the taxes or EBCI on SW. make sure to choose your airline on the Amex website before purchasing.
Thanks! I can use up the credit quickly for this year for EBCI and then get the credit again for next year. I'll have to have DH apply in the next few days. DH has the other 2 Hilton cards already and no other AMEX cards. I have been putting spend on the cards so hopefully all goes well!

DH wanted to take advantage of our CP before it expires on Dec 31 so he booked a surprise day-trip up to SF. We spent the day at the Walt Disney Family Musuem, and he didn’t even realize that he had planned it for the anniversary of Walt’s death. Such a great collection and appreciated getting to spend time seeing artifacts/hearing voice recordings of stories that we mostly knew but got new versions of. This is my geeking out while listening to the Andreas Deja recordings about the Mickey shorts :)

Attachments

• 018C46D5-6A1D-473F-B5A4-71E999ACBDFA.jpeg
    018C46D5-6A1D-473F-B5A4-71E999ACBDFA.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 29
Yes, it did for me on the Biz Plat.

While we’re talking about Amex airline credits...haven’t gotten my new gold card in the mail yet, but got my number early and used it for SW. Hoping it works!

Also, I was able to stop by OM/OD four times last week. I thought Shopkicks would work on 4 purchases per store per week but I only got credit for 3. I did make another purchase at a different store so maybe the limit is 4 at any store, total per week. Anybody know so I don’t mess it up again? Can’t complain though. I was able to cash out for $50 PayPal last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter