I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the WOH card. I'm not sure what info you're looking for. I'm still in the MSR stage and haven't redeemed any points. I didn't have a Hyatt acct. before so they issued me one when I got the card and it was linked to my account.
So you were assigned a number and just logged in using that? how? when I try to set up an acct using that number provided I get an error,and I can't set up a new one with a new number b/c I need to use the one printed on the cc....

it was a problem with the acct itself- I should've set up an acct for P2 before app'ing,but forgot. so they auto assigned a WoH acct number on the cc we got. But can't create login or anything using that number now....
I had a problem kind of like this back when I opened my dh’s first spg card. He had to call spg who had to call Amex who got it all sorted out.

Totally agree. Work environments don't seem to value loyalty anymore, at least not to the impression I get from talking to my parents and others around their age. Seems like a lot of people from that generation got a job and stayed with that company through retirement. That sounds great, but I'd never get ahead doing that - and I work for the federal government, which is maybe the last vestige of being able to stay in one place your entire career if you want. I get small annual raises mandated by law (sometimes), but the big jumps and better opportunities always come with bouncing to a new agency. I'll hit 10 years with the government this year, and I interviewed earlier this week with a new job at a different bureau that would open a whole world of new possibilities I'll just never be afforded where I am now.
DH and I are both federal government employees. I have 27 years and he has 30 years. We have no regrets with it. They paid for the majority of my undergrad degree and all of DH and my master's degrees and I actually got the year off from work thanks to a special program to go to grad school. Thanks to our TSP accounts, we'll retire multi-millionaires and be able to retire early, hopefully Congress doesn't do away with the supplement before we get there.

I guess we have been lucky and haven't had to jump around to different agencies for promotional opportunities. At this point, my only promotion would be into SES and I have no desire for that headache. I value the work/life balance I currently have.

Thanks i guess we will call.... so you're saying you have one email and 3 separate WoH accts using it? b/c that's what I accidentally set up,using my standard email on the app...I just don't get why it won't work since he numbers printed on the card...

When I checked, I’m getting notifications for my mother, husband, and myself all to my email account. When DH got his Marriott card I had to set that up with a different email.

Yikes on the paycheck! Hope this gets sorted out quickly!

So you have to cover a $510 doc appt because your ex didn’t have insurance in place?? I’d let him pay for his mistake...
I try to keep the peace—much better for the kids and parents:) but
Yikes on the paycheck! Hope this gets sorted out quickly!

So you have to cover a $510 doc appt because your ex didn’t have insurance in place?? I’d let him pay for his mistake...

I know--I'm just trying to help him out because I think I'm in a better position and have the money in an HSA. I did ask him to call and see if they would bring it down at all. But all he had to do was tell me they didn't have coverage and I would have scheduled her physical for another time. She didn't need it to start school or anything. I'm actually thinking of sucking it up and putting the kids on my plan. It may be worth it not to worry for the next decade or so about whether or not they're covered since he doesn't always keep me in the loop.

And I've made two trips to the ATM to deposit cash so hopefully I'm fine until we get payroll fixed.

We didn’t get a chance to see the new LEGO movie yet. We loved the last one. And I totally enjoyed the Batman one too, I laughed...a lot. Next movie for me though is Happy Death Day 2 U on Saturday before Kelly Clarkson and How to Train Your Dragon next Saturday!
I went to train with another processor today and came home to an internet outage! The plows took out the junction box in our yard. Turns out it’s much bigger than just us, so I don’t know if we have a major line in ours or if it’s just coincidence. This is a huge problem since it’s only my 2nd week on my new job and I work solely from home. :-(

How's your cell service at the house? You could either tether your cell to the laptop or get a portable hotspot temporarily if your cell plan won't work.

Trying to stay calm but didn't get paid today (somehow I have two paychecks which are cancelling each other out and our payroll person is out with the flu) and my Amex rose gold payment was already made today which may overdraw my account. Going to put cash in but not sure that will be fast enough.

Then I learned yesterday my ex didn't have insurance coverage the one month dd got her $510 physical (included second dose of gardasil). He offered to pay but I told him it was fine. Just completely avoidable. Plus we were out of the country in August and the kids had no insurance. Then I woke up in the middle of the night freaking out about the aca tax but I think I'm fine there. It was a short lapse. I think.
Well that totally sucks. Only thing I got for you is banks will post deposits before withdrawals. So if you went negative that day and deposit cash during business hours, when they settle up the day it's like the negative didn't happen. Fingers crossed it all works out for you today.

Can someone remind me when I can downgrade PNC? I completed all the requirements about a week ago for the $300 bonus.
After you get the bonus, as long as it's been 45 days since you opened it you can downgrade it yourself online. Otherwise you have to call or go in branch, so most just wait it out. :)

I’ll be completely honest...in my line of work, if I didn’t get at least a 3% raise I’d be finding a new job within a week. I don’t want to be insensitive to others in a different situation but people in commercial banking are regularly moving from bank to bank for 10-15% more. It’s like I’m already moving backwards by being loyal (but my work/life situation can’t be beat so I’m not really looking to make a move unless they give me a reason to).

Goodness, I wish this were how it was for my dh but that is so not his reality!

A 3% raise?? What's that?? :rolleyes:

I'm fortunate that I absolutely love my job and hope that I can stay here until I retire. But, I work for local government. I got a 2.3% raise last year which was the highest we've gotten since I started. And opportunities for advancement within the organization are almost non-existent. It's not uncommon for people to retire from the office with the same job title they got hired at 20 years earlier. I'd have to move or run for office (HARD PASS) in order to see real advancement. Fortunately, I'm passionate about the work I do and want to do it for a long time!

DH and I are both federal government employees. I have 27 years and he has 30 years. We have no regrets with it. They paid for the majority of my undergrad degree and all of DH and my master's degrees and I actually got the year off from work thanks to a special program to go to grad school. Thanks to our TSP accounts, we'll retire multi-millionaires and be able to retire early, hopefully Congress doesn't do away with the supplement before we get there.

I guess we have been lucky and haven't had to jump around to different agencies for promotional opportunities. At this point, my only promotion would be into SES and I have no desire for that headache. I value the work/life balance I currently have.

It's actually insanely difficult now to find an organization that will pay for a degree. I got hired as a student and I still couldn't get them to pay! The push these days is getting everyone into those USDA grad courses specifically designed for federal work, which is all well and good. And yeah, that pension deal (FERS) has since gotten worse, but I can't complain because at least I get a pension. It's just not nearly as good as CERS was. TSP is more or less a regular 401k, and it's all about how much you put into it. We haven't hit the annual max quite yet, but we're getting there.

When I checked, I’m getting notifications for my mother, husband, and myself all to my email account. When DH got his Marriott card I had to set that up with a different email.
so when he got the card, did he have the separate email acct already? or did you go in and use the number printed on the card with a separate email to 'join'? I'm anxious b/c I don't want to seup a new one and have the points going into the one on the card

How's your cell service at the house? You could either tether your cell to the laptop or get a portable hotspot temporarily if your cell plan won't
That wouldnt' have worked. I don't have a laptop, my work computer is a thin client with no wi-fi/Bluetooth.
My son set up his computer for me, but they amazingly got it fixed about 4 am this morning. Turns out a fiber optic line was cut (at the same time our box was destroyed, very odd) so the whole city was out.

Kind of :offtopic: but I’m working on taxes. I have a rental property, which never makes a profit. I charge $2500in rent. Taxes and insurance insurance are about $2500. This year I put a new roof on the house for $3600. Do I really need to send a 1099 to the contractor? For those of you who have one or two properties, is this necessary? TurboTax thinks so...

Based on my (not very in depth) reading, if you pay via credit card or paypal (I'm putting plastiq in this category, personally) you don't have to send a 1099. Yet another reason to churn!

ETA - because I'm a nerd, I pulled the instructions for the 1099-Misc. Yes, payments (even to LLCs) of more than $600 need to be reported, but not if paid by cc.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

My dad was SES - yes, headaches. He retired early and looked 10 years younger a month after he retired than he had for years.

A 3% raise?? What's that?? :rolleyes:

I'm fortunate that I absolutely love my job and hope that I can stay here until I retire. But, I work for local government. I got a 2.3% raise last year which was the highest we've gotten since I started. And opportunities for advancement within the organization are almost non-existent. It's not uncommon for people to retire from the office with the same job title they got hired at 20 years earlier. I'd have to move or run for office (HARD PASS) in order to see real advancement. Fortunately, I'm passionate about the work I do and want to do it for a long time!

So interesting to hear the perspectives on raises/tradeoffs that people are willing to make in favor of good family/lifestyle choices. When I worked in public accounting, any raise less than 7% was considered terrible and insulting (this was several years ago, but still) and people would threaten/actually go elsewhere. I had worked for non-profits (where 2% was a good raise) before I went to grad school and wanted to shake some of my colleagues - where else do you expect to find good raises/promotions every couple years? Now that I work for a company, we get a flat 3% raise every year - I'm not complaining, its what I expected in my industry. One of my colleagues (who also came from public accounting) continues to have a snit every year because he wants more of a raise, and is cranky about not getting promoted (a whole different story!) The real money around here comes from stock options (which are awarded based on merit) and bonuses (target % of salary, paid on the basis of how well the company does each year - so it can be more than 100% of the target if we have a good year).

Depending on how the stock does and how the company does, I'm making as much or more than I would be in public accounting and have a much more sane, balanced life. I'm here to tell you that having a job you love, or a job that allows you time to do the things you love, while keeping a roof overhead and food on the table is totally worth having fewer $$$ in the bank. My DH left a career that made lots of $$$, but made him miserable. I would rather have him healthy and present than 10x his old salary.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on flyertalk (I don't have an account. Those people scare me. Lol) and there's a post about booking pet travel on United and then cancelling everything to trigger the Amex credit. I'm wondering if this would work on American.

so when he got the card, did he have the separate email acct already? or did you go in and use the number printed on the card with a separate email to 'join'? I'm anxious b/c I don't want to seup a new one and have the points going into the one on the card

I don’t remember any difficulty setting up the 3 Hyatt accounts.
The difficulty I had was with the second Marriott account and after a few tries I called and was informed that DH needed a separate email. I still have difficulty when I call Marriott because my number is associated with his account. I need to explain this to CSR and give them my account number to get to my Marriott account. Good news is after 3-4 calls my Marriott platinum is finally showing on my account.

I'm here to tell you that having a job you love, or a job that allows you time to do the things you love, while keeping a roof overhead and food on the table is totally worth having fewer $$$ in the bank. My DH left a career that made lots of $$$, but made him miserable. I would rather have him healthy and present than 10x his old salary.

So true. I left a miserable job I absolutely hated and took a 15% paycut to come to this job. I've never once regretted that decision.

I'd have to move or run for office (HARD PASS) i

You're in VA, correct? There might be, ahem, an opening or two coming available in Richmond :rolleyes: (sorry, couldn't resist-I lived in the Commonwealth long enough to still occasionally pay attention to the drama).

My DH left a career that made lots of $$$, but made him miserable. I would rather have him healthy and present than 10x his old salary.

Totally agree and I'm pretty sure my DH could have written this. I make no money but am so much more balanced, whole and happier. I was fortunate I could leave my soul sucking occupation!

You're in VA, correct? There might be, ahem, an opening or two coming available in Richmond :rolleyes: (sorry, couldn't resist-I lived in the Commonwealth long enough to still occasionally pay attention to the drama).

Totally agree and I'm pretty sure my DH could have written this. I make no money but am so much more balanced, whole and happier. I was fortunate I could leave my soul sucking occupation!

I'd vote for @DisneyMandC!

CitiBiz AA Miles posted :) With the 10k miles I started with, I now have 73,320 total AA Miles (good for $733 towards Disney :))

I don't believe the offer I used is currently available (probably a similar offer out there) but here's a quick summary of what I did:
  • Signed up for "dummy booking" offer of 40k miles + $250 stmt credit for $2,000 MSR
  • Spend $2,002.95 PLUS $250 for an AA eGC that was reimbursed
  • Asked for "Match" via backdoor SM for 20,000 additional miles
  • Received 2,253 base Miles + 194 add'l miles for a cable purchase + 250 add'l miles for the eGC
  • Earned the Bonus of 40k + the 20k Match
  • Selling the Gift Card on Raise for another $200 Cash
  • Bonus Summary: 62,697 Miles ($626 towards Disney) + $200 cash for $2,000 MSR (>41% return on my spend!)
Obviously I haven't booked a Disney hotel to be certain how this all works. It seems pretty straightforward though, so I'm happy with this move thus far. If I can get approved the Barclay Biz Aviator and Pickup a Biz Mailer from r/churningmarketplace for a 2nd Citi AA card I should have enough AA Miles for 5 nights at an Epcot Area hotel. Then I'm going to have my wife pickup a one of each card to earn enough for 2 nights at a MK area resort and our hotels for our next trip in January 2020 are covered :)

As a reminder, the Walt Disney World Tips thread on DISchurners has a section on AA Miles (as well as a lot of other great info supplied by people here): https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/comments/ai6lq0/dischurners_walt_disney_world_tips/

I got CIP about two weeks ago. Think I need to wait 30 days before I get a CitiBiz or am I good to apply since its a different bank?

Haha thanks guys!

Funnily enough, a friend of mine texted me the other week about how he didn't know what was going to happen with his boss and if he was going to get elevated in this midst of all this drama or what... and then two days later his boss got embroiled in the scandal as well. It's totally cray-cray and embarrassing for our state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter