How to turn a romantic, affordable trip for 2 into a ruckus.

I burst out laughing with the first post and had to read all the way through the end, and then I shared it with my mother who proceeded to read it laughing all the way. (I felt she could commiserate since I crash her and my dad's vacations to Disney). You're an amazing writer, and I can't wait to read more of your trip. This is amazing! Great work! I love that room! It's quieter than the rest of the restaurant and you have a great view of the lake. I know you don't get to see Wishes from there, but that's why you go out on the balconies and watch. It's just my favorite room there. But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

Thank you for the kind words.

I agree that room is quiet and that has merits! And, true you can go out to the balconies to watch Wishes, and we tried that. But on this night it was chilly, which wasn't a total deal breaker, but it was also very windy. I really couldn't see anything because my hair was in my face and if I used my hands to hold my hair down, my shirt blew up. Ha! I mean we are talking serious wind. One girls jacket blew off and her dad caught it by trapping it against the rails. Most people gave up and went in. Still, that wasn't what did me in. That's just weather and doesn't reflect on the restaurant.

The main issue that ticked me off and kept me from enjoying the experience (admittedly because I allowed it) was that when we checked in with the hostess, she looked at me and said, "But I just seated you?"

I said, "no..."and spelled my last name.

She said, "yeah, because I was saying that my friend had that last name and... Hang on"

Then she disappeared a while and when she returned, I asked, jokingly (mostly) if someone else got my awesome table by the windows.

She didn't answer and looked at me blankly. She spoke with a host who seated us in the little room and I asked him why she thought she already seated us. He said "I really don't know what to tell you." Then I told the waiter the story and asked if he knew what all the discussion was about and it was like he immediately shut down and had zero personality with us. I wasn't nasty to him, but he was sure cold with us.

It just wasn't a positive experience for us. I couldn't help but think we were kinda cheated out of having the fireworks view which was the main reason I booked that late meal.

It's a lovely place and I'm sure it's a lot of fun to watch wishes from your table. I just feel like I paid for that and didn't get it.

oh my goodness…. I am loving your report. Sitting here thinking about how my babies will grow up and how much I will miss them, crying big tears. And they're only 5 and 7!
Disney has that way of bringing out the child in you. I swear I have called my dad "daddy" when we have been there. All the while thinking, "huh, what did I just say?!?!"

Well...some of the time....

My kids are 15 and 11 and sometimes...
I forget
I'm actually in heaven.

I think "7 more years and both will be at college"
We'll get to party
while they increase their knowledge!

I'll have grey hair but I'll travel and play
and hubby
will buy me flowers every day.

Hmmm.

I love your story but when your DD1 drove back home
I saw myself a decade from now
and tears started to flow.

In other words - keep on writing...I'll keep on reading.

So, yeah, I should probably stick with my day job - my best friend is a published poet though!

;)

Okay I found your trip report last night and am loving it!! I like the reality of it and the honesty through humor. I'm pretty sure I would read your book as well.

Also, I like that yours is different than most of the others. It's refreshing and fun.

Of course I am a 30 something with my own child now and my siblings have their own as well - our parents refuse to buy a nice guest bed so none of is stay too long because heaven forbid the guests get too comfortable!

I think if we all went to disney the folks might rent an offsite house for the lot of us (the number of grandchildren keeps increasing) and beyond that it's every person for himself in terms of tickets, food, travel, etc.

Also, I love your painting. If you have a website I would love a PM with that info. Have a new baby room to decorate with a whole wall of shelves.

The girls arrive with mugs of iced tea and a variety of breakfast items and proudly point out that the children's portion of Mickey Waffles is a much better deal than the adult Mickey Waffle entree. I find this ironic since the children-free portion of my trip was $2486.92 cheaper than the adult portion. But still, they saved about $1.80 and they take that as a sign that it's going to be a GREAT day!

Looking back at the photos now, it really hits me. White people (at least the ones in my family) from the Midwest are super pale in March and almost look sick or tired or exhausted. Probably from shoveling snow.

I absolutely get this - get those deals where you can and you can save up for a return trip - lol.

Being from Michigan and our record snowfall this winter, I resemble that second remark.

The Small World parody could become the girls anthem.
GREAT report.

I love your TR so far! Cant wait to read the rest. Your daughters are beautiful, makes me jealous i dont have any sisters ;) anyways keep writting!

I truly enjoyed reading this whole thread! Your experience was fascinating to read and I learned so much!! Thank you for posting and updating.

I am literally in tears as you say goodbye to DD 1. I also have 3 girls now 8,7 and 4 and I can just picture this exact scenario in my future

This turned out to be a shorter conference day and so we all travelled together to Animal Kingdom. The heat and humidity was high and my feet were really starting to bother me at this point so I was moving pretty slowly. I’m quite sure I was not doing anything annoying, whatsoever.

However, my husband was getting on my nerves.

He kept insisting he knew his way around, leaving us frequently walking in circles and backtracking. When I’d sweetly suggest looking at the map on MDE, he’d complain that it takes too long. When I would politely point to a directional sign that said "Africa" that included and arrow pointing to the left, he'd argue that "sort-of left" means the same thing as "left." When the daughters remembered the way to whatever from the last trip, he remembered more accurately.

(At this point in this trip report, you should choose a side and stick with it. Women, of course will take my side and totally understand everything I'm going through. Any men reading should either go away now, order flowers for their significant other or just pretend to agree with everything I type.)

The theming was also on my nerves. It’s too good. It really felt like we were baking, right on the equator, in a third world country during a drought, with annoying husbands everywhere.

Mine had the audacity to remark that, thanks to the look/theming of the park one could not really tell if the “run-down” look of some areas was intentional or age. He then went on to say that he felt the other parks, especially the Magic Kingdom had meticulous attention to maintenance and appearance, where this park was allowed to slip a bit, since it blended in with the theme. What a grouch. His comments triggered either a hot flash or a solar flare because I was instantly drenched and resentful. How dare he ruin my vacation?

I felt my vision was compromised at this point by either rage or raging hormones and I had to sit down. But there was nowhere to do so. I became acutely aware of a lack of seating. WOW. I’m getting old.

This park was not doing it for me. I thought back to the DIS boards and the discussions about whether DAK was a half day park or a full day park and how some people didn’t like it all. AHA! Note to self: conduct discrete study to test hypothesis that the like/dislike of AK is related to the ages and hormone levels of park goers. Ah screw the study. I’m just going to say it. If you are experiencing symptoms of pms and/or menopause, have allergies, asthma or carry excess body weight, have one or more bunions or teenagers or are otherwise negatively affected by hot, humid conditions, stay the heck out of AK unless it is November through February!

Still, I was sure my misery was the fault of everyone else. On the safari, I didn’t speak up and get an end seat and no one bothered to read my mind, so I was stuck in the middle. I was going to take some amazing photos but I chose not to bring my good camera so it annoyed me exponentially when DH took photos with his phone. Furthermore, there were two guys seated behind me that talked to each other a little, making comments like, “Wow, that’s awesome.” And “This is really cool.” Can you believe it?

I’ll spare you all the rest. But I was pretty cranky and I’m sure not pleasant to be around.

I felt much better after getting some shade and a drink and was happy to finally get to see the Nemo show, which had been on my trip bucket list and which we all enjoyed. None of us had seen it before so that was a real treat. I'm pleased to report that I snapped out of my crankiness and my family did not ditch me, though I'm sure they thought about it.

Hubby and I exchanged that glance later on, and no, it was not the one from the Cealis commercial. This glance was the one that says, “We’re getting old.” This occurred after he told the girls he didn’t think his back was up to joining them on Expedition Everest anymore. It was a given that I was out. I had not done coasters for a while. I wonder if the Cealis couples can still do coasters. Or if they even have time.

The rest of our time at the park was of the typical AK variety so to speed things up, I will break it down into the top ten remaining (non attraction) things that made me smile, in no particular order.

1. The little mouse-ear shaped thing with a blue clip that allows you to clip a bottle of water onto your bag.
2. The toddler that freaked out at the end of It's a Bug's Life, and that, adorable as she was, she was not MY problem.
3. The cupcakes my daughters and I split.
4. Telling my family about the Dinoland backstory. If you don't know it, LOOK IT UP NOW!
5. Finally eating at Flame Tree BBQ, and it was every bit as yummy as reported on The Dis.
6. Low crowds.
7. Outstanding cast member friendliness.
8. My daughters saying how much they missed their older sister.
9. Texts from DD1, thanking us for the trip and saying she missed us.
10. That my family puts up with me, even when I am tired and crabby.

Coming up: A much needed down day.

We were all ready for a break at this point and the girls and I had planned on a pool day but it rained all day, of course. So, we just hung out in the room and took it easy and had fun just goofing around. Where did the time go? I really have no idea. We just goofed off. And it was wonderful.

It was the last day of the conference and DH was done at about 4:00. Our evening plan was to check out the AMC Fork and Screen Theater and that fit right in with a rainy day. WHOA. I hadn’t thought of that. RAIN/movie! UH OH.

I had not pre-purchased our tickets and I quickly got on line to check into it. There were only four seats left, other than the wheelchair-friendly seating. And that is how we ended up in the front row, tilting our heads up for 111 minutes, watching Mr. Peabody and Sherman. But at least we got tickets.

We don’t have a fork and screen theater near our home so we were intrigued by this experience. It was kind of fun and I’d definitely recommend it for a down day.

Our food was surprisingly tasty. I had a burger with jalapenos and parmesan fries. I don’t remember what anyone else had but we all over-ate and all agreed that we should have split meals. The portions were large. The prices were also very reasonable and we were again surprised by that since even popcorn at a movie will practically cost you the same as a good quality neck brace.

The seating was comfy and stacked up well so that everyone could easily see over the row in front, so the activity of eating and servers coming and going was not an issue at all. If you do go, try to buy your tickets in advance and get a row in the back. Your neck will thank you. Hubby says he still has a frkn screen stiff neck, six months later. And no, that’s not a typo.

:cool1: And you thought I was misusing the word, "literally!"

Ratings on a 0-4 star scale:

AMC Fork and screen: 4 stars

Mr. Peabody and Sherman: 2 stars

Ty Burrell (voiced the movie): 4 stars

Food: 3.5 stars

Sitting in a recliner-like seat, watching a movie while someone delivers you a plate of fatty food that you did not cook for yourself: 4 stars

Having a down day while at Disney: 4 stars

Loved the updates! :thumbsup2 The Cealis comments cracked me up! :rotfl2:

Boy you have really been making up for lost time judging by your signature! CR in March, then CSR in June, now POR coming up! Lucky you!! :cool1:

BTW, how did you like CSR? We were just there recently for our anniv. and really enjoyed it!! :)

Just love your TR- might be the best one I have read thus far. You are hilarious! And so spot on... ;)

I just came across your review and you have my laughing out loud. Goodness, you have a way with words and sure paint a picture with them. You have a lovely family whom I'm sure has had the benefit of your wonderful take on life.

Judy

I love that one of your best memories is DD1 thanking you. It always makes me smile (and by smile, I mean cry) when I realize they really do appreciate you!

And love your review of Fork & Screen. I am contemplating doing just that in November when I go, and you tipped the scales in their favor.

(and why couldn't you just blame everyone else for your crankiness, I do!)

I stumbled across this thread looking for something positive to read. I've read the entire trip report to date in a couple of hours. MeanestMomEver, you are the next Erma Bombeck. I just love the way you write.

I am also an empty nester and menopausal woman with a few health issues. Fortunately, not asthma or food allergies. Keep on writing! Here, there, anywhere. You should be published.

Love getting my Disney fix and my funny bone tickled at the same time! I am 100% Team MeanestMomEver.

This is one of the best trip reports I've ever read! Please take more trips and write more reports frequently! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter