How to turn a romantic, affordable trip for 2 into a ruckus.

First, I have to apologize for lurking. :sad2:

Second, I had been afraid that you had abandoned the TR but I'm so glad you're back and posting again. Great update! :thumbsup2

Always, thanks for taking the time to share. :flower3: You tell a wonderful story and I can't wait to read more! popcorn::

This park was not doing it for me. I thought back to the DIS boards and the discussions about whether DAK was a half day park or a full day park and how some people didn’t like it all. AHA! Note to self: conduct discrete study to test hypothesis that the like/dislike of AK is related to the ages and hormone levels of park goers. Ah screw the study. I’m just going to say it. If you are experiencing symptoms of pms and/or menopause, have allergies, asthma or carry excess body weight, have one or more bunions or teenagers or are otherwise negatively affected by hot, humid conditions, stay the heck out of AK unless it is November through February!

This! Exactly! Thank you!

The conference my husband attended was now, finally, over and the remaining 2.5 days in Florida were true vacation days for him. Well, kinda. And he was so glad.

As mentioned earlier, he had been feeling very left out. Since our first on-site trip, hes been, possibly, the biggest WDW fan of the entire family and THAT is really saying something! Finally, he was in vacation mode and his expectations were high. Very, very high. And, as all seasoned DISers know, that can be trouble.

The first thing planned for that Wednesday morning was a Keys to the Kingdom tour, planned especially with Hubby in mind.
For most DIS-ers, I think this goes without saying, but that tour did not disappoint! We all loved it.

Almost equally, we loved our first pre-opening park entrance! We checked in at the Chamber of Commerce building and ordered our Columbia Harbor House Lunches. We were given name tags and a bottle of water and we were told we were free to look around the park and enjoy the sights and to meet back no later than 8:30. That 20 minutes of goofing off was a ball. Hubby and the girls did some kooky panorama iphone photography. He would start panning around the park in a circle and as he did the girls ran around, behind him, and struck corny poses so they would each appear multiple times in the same photo. This granted me, at least photographically speaking, my not-so-serious wish having a nearly Duggar-sized family, without all the college tuitions, or park admissions, for that matter. I took lots of photos for some projects I was working on, including the pastel portrait of my daughter that I posted in an earlier entry.

The photo pass photographers were on deck and ready to take pics too and we posed for tons. We didnt even mind the crane being in the photos. I kind of like the quirkiness of it being there. Its kind of like a reminder that WDW is not really magic, but it can be magical if you allow it. You just have to overlook some things. Remember that. I'm old and I know what I'm talking about.

I dont want to spill any beans about the tour. But I will share some general thoughts.

First, if you are hesitant to go because it is billed as a Five hour walking tour, please do not let that stop you. I am not in great shape. I always have some foot hot spot and I have to bring a park bag because I need to bring an epi-pen, an inhaler and a bag of Halls. I can honestly say that the tour was no more strenuous on my body than any other 5 hour block of time spent in a park. If you can tour any of the parks at a leisurely pace for five hours, you can handle this, no problem. And it really is so interesting, that it does not seem like five hours at all. Our guide sought out shady spots with tables and chairs on a regular basis for us when he had longer stories to tell. There were ample restroom breaks and, of course the two attractions we rode, after being led in the back way, were also nice breaks.
We had a person with a scooter in our group and a lovely couple that was there, celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.

Second, the tour, in my opinion is a great value. You not only get five hours of a seasoned cast member's attention, but also a meal, a cute souvenir, early park entry and a bottle of water...and remember, Disney bottled water is...what? Three bucks?

Third, It's pretty cool.

Besides the incident when my husband, who has a background in technology and security, pointed out what stood out to him as a fairly serious fire safety issue to the stunned and visibly annoyed guide, Im only aware of two times I stopped smiling during the entire tour. (As the girls would say: awkward!)

I found myself looking at the shoes of Mrs. 50th anniversary. She had on some shoes I had recently ordered from Zappos and, in fact brought on the trip, but had not yet worn.

Upon my daughters arrival at the resort, these shoes prompted this conversation:

Ew. MOM. NO. Old lady shoes. Just no. (Translation: Oh, mother, I see you got new shoes. They look great but you are such a youthful and hip and trendy mom, Id really like to see you in something more stylish.)

Me: What? These look OK. And besides they are comfy. They arent so bad. Are they?

Daughter: Mom! No. No no no no. (Translation: Well, they arent too bad. But maybe you should look for something thats moreyou.)

Me, frowning and looking at them with that WhatDoYOUKnow look: Ugh! Wha-a-at?

Daughter, to other daughter: EW. Tell her! Ew. Just. (shudders) (Translation: What do you think, Sis?)

Other daughter: Mom! (Translation: I love you, mom.)

Me: WHAT?

Other daughter: I. Literally. Just cant even. (Translation: I, literally, just cant even imagine how great those must feel on your feet.)

Me: Look, they are all soft and bendy. (demonstrates)

Daughter: Old lady shoes! Please. You cant be serious. (Translation: You dont look old, Mommy.)

Me: Well, I might return them. I really havent decided yet. (yeah, I just decided)

Daughters look at each other and make a face usually reserved for when you find some really, really old food behind a drawer in your refrigerator. And who wants to wear shoes that remind other women of old, spoiled, smelly food?

And this is what I was thinking as I looked at the shoes of Anniversary Lady. My daughters were right. They are butt-ugly shoes! But this sweet woman is nearly 80 and doing a five hour walking tour! If I can do a five hour walking tour at age 80, Ill gladly wear smelly old broccoli shoes.

But at that moment, still a few decades behind Anniversary Lady, I knew I wouldnt wear the shoes. My daughters were right. They really were just not me and that is why I had them for a few weeks and never wore them. I only ordered them because I was worried I would have foot issues on the trip. And I was doing OK with my basic Nikes. Man. I hate being wrong.

Wrapping it upso sorry I made you read about the shoes. Back to the trip.

The tour ended and we were all smiles. We sat outside Caseys and discussed our favorite parts of the tour and ate ice cream that someone bought somewhere. I dont even remember. My feet were fine, but I was getting tired. Not just tired-drowwwsy. I suggested that we go back to the hotel for pool, shower, nap, fresh clothes or any combination thereof. Everyone was in.

Except Hubby.

I dont really want to get too into this part because its not pleasant. But you know how sometimes you have an argument and all kinds of things are brought up and tossed about that have nothing at all to do with why you are upset? And you know how sometimes you see people at WDW acting like jerks and you think, People, you are at WDW! Quit acting like jerks!? And you know how sometimes you see a (for now) married couple sitting at a poolside table scowling and talking through clenched teeth? And you know how sometimes the hotel staff messes up your bill and one member of the party cant fix it because her (or his) name is not on the company credit card but yours is and even though you asked her to fix it and she tried and had no luck and you then tried and they scratched their heads and said they would work on it, and you get frustrated and you take it out on your spouse along with anything else you can think of but thats not really why you are angry at all, its just a handy excuse?

Yeah. Me either!

Fast Forward:
We are back at MK for what was a wonderful evening and all the unpleasantness was behind us. Except for the part where I didnt get a nap in. But sometimes that happens.

I will close with another top ten list of MeanestMomEvers somewhat semi- notable moments.

1. As we arrived, we used a fast pass and met Mickey at Town Square. Wow. I had not seen him since he became so gabby. I LOVE THAT! He demonstrated a few card tricks with us and even though we are a family with grown up kids, we received lots and lots of special and magical interaction with the big cheese, himself. And just like that, we were back to grinning like crazy! Thank you, Mickey! You helped us all get the magic back.

2. Dinner at BOG... food delicious. Daughters current college roommate is just a few tables over with a sorority sister. They are dining and using their refillable mugs. Im not sure why or how, since the BOG beverage station is curtained off for dinner, but there they were. It led to some dinner conversation about acceptable mug use. See? Its not just on the DIS! After dinner, we all walked over and said hello to them. It was awkward.

3. This night marked the beginning of The Great Pressed Penny Controversy. Im going to have to save that for my next trip report on our June 2014 trip for two, which I hope to crack out pretty quickly.

4. Pillow pets. Seriously? I Literally. Just cant even.

5. We are Space Ranger Spin maniacs. Everyone wants to top Dads score. We rarely do.

6. Constantly walking around the boarded off 7 Dwarfs Mine Train site was a mixture of frustration and excitement. We wouldnt be riding it on this spring break trip but it is nice to have something fun to plan for a future trip.

7. SOMEBODY was on extra good behavior due to a guilty conscience. I wont mention any names or nicknames. But I got to do anything I wanted. Heh heh.

8. Again, the girls missed their big sister. They called her to tell her so. I almost cried. They really are such sweet young women.

9. I asked a photopass photographer if I could take HIS photo. I was serious and not trying to be rude or anything. But he was annoyed by that. Sorry Dude.

10. We stayed at the park until closing and had a great time.

Almost there! 1.5 days to go. I promise to finish.

AND THANK YOU for all the positive comments and complements. You make it fun. Positive people rock. <cough cough, It wasn't my fault the bill got screwed up.>

Last edited:

OMG! The shoe conversation!

Sitting in a hotel room at some out of the way conference for work, and thank goodness I am alone because I literally CAN NOT STOP LAUGHING!

Please write a book. Please?

Thanks for the laughs. The last time I enjoyed a trip report this much was when I happened onto one of the classics by Nebo.

Ok, I've decided to wrap up this trip report, once and for all. I hate to admit this but as I index-finger type on my phone, six months later, I'm laying on a bed in our room at POFQ.

Can't imagine why I never finished the book(s) I work on sporadically.

Anyway, the next day was a DHS day. My husband had a 9:30 meeting with a security guy there and we arrived at the park at opening. (We had tickets so we used them.). We grabbed a quick drink a cupcake to split on a picnic table by Fairfax Faire. (I think that's what it's called.)

The gentleman came out from behind the fence to greet hubby earlier than expected. He was very pleasant and professional, of course, and complemented my shirt, a basic Minnie Mouse tee. Of course, I had just had a cup cake malfunction and had frosting on my face and right hand so as he extended his hand I just held my sticky hand up, giving the internationally-recognized symbol for "I eat like a two-year old, so you probably don't want to shake my hand." He answered back with the gesture that said, "Thank God, you gave the appropriate hand signal. I really don't want Elsa frosting on my shirt and tie."

Whenever I'm in an awkward situation or nervous, or sweaty or covered with foods, instead of speaking English, I usually answer in Dorklish, a crude language of my own. Words pop out choppily, strung together out of proper order or even as abbreviated forms. Sometimes, I don't even get the whole sentence out before I just. Kind of give. Up then try. To finish it but. Yeah. It's weird.

So, today, as I mopped blue frosting from my hands and face, my husband introduced me. Not only did i have to decline his outstretched hand but i also had to respond to him saying, "Hey, that's a great shirt!"

I was expecting him to just ask if we'd been having a good stay. But NO he had to throw a curve ball. So, I came up with.

"Oh. (Awkward pause.). ThankS...you. It's. Well. Minnie Mouse. I mean. Where else would you wear this shirt?"

(Oh Good Lord! What?)

I'm guessing that because of the sugar content of the cupcake, my stupid greeting and feeling dorky in my theme park look, a hot flash began. I felt like some poured a bucket of hot water over my head.

By the way, we were near the end of the trip. I was down to limited clothing options. I wore horrifying cargo capri pants (which have since been sent to Goodwill) in addition to the Minnie shirt- which is very unflattering across the mid section, though it's no fault of the shirt. Frankly, it wasn't until I returned to the room and saw photos from the day that I realized just how awful I looked in this shirt. I also had on Nikes with neon yellow-green laces and a Vera Bradley cross-body bag. I would not wear this outfit anywhere else. But at Disney, I have to go with comfort over style so that I can last in the parks as long as the rest of my family. I'm sure many women do the same. Thinking back, if my kids had been more awake when I left that morning, they probably would have tried to convince me to wear something else. So, OF COURSE, that's the day I meet a business contact.

I couldn't have felt like more of a goof ball, meeting this elegantly dressed professional gentleman. Thankfully, it was short-lived discomfort. The two of them quickly disappeared behind the fence and I went off to take photos and look for the Animation Academy.

I took photos of large pots of geraniums on stone pillars and many other photos too. I would later use the geraniums for a painting. I'll try to post that later.

Then, because no one in my family ever wanted to try this, I decided I was doing Animation Academy, no matter how long it took. I entered the Animation area and began looking around. It wasn't well marked and, oddly, no cast members were around. Maybe they were still in defensive positions taken during the daily TSMM stampede. Anyway, I wondered around and started to have a little wheezing/asthma situation, though nothing serious. That usually makes it hard for me to concentrate. I ended up in a line and I figured it was the one I wanted. So, I waited about ten minutes and I was shown in. "Wow! So formal," I was thinking. It turns out I had been in line to meet Minnie Mouse. I didn't want to hurt her feelings and I was still in full-on awkward mode so I pretended to be really excited to meet her. And since my camera was handy, her helper gladly recorded the moment so I could enjoy it for ever. There I was, coughing, wheezing, wearing clothing I pretty much hate and awkwardly making small talk at Minnie. "Oh. Hi. Minnie. You are my favorite. Hi." The icing on the cake came later, in the form of actual icing. Yep. when I saw the photos, and let me just say, there were plenty of them, I saw actual icing on my face. Of course. Bonus: My teeth were also slightly blue. Thanks Elsa.

Finally, I get in the right waiting area and after a very long wait, I'm in! Yes! The animation academy at last.

The animator walked us through: First draw a circle about the size of a grapefruit. Now draw a smaller one in the center. And there you have folks. Mike Waskowski! Thanks for coming.

What?

After all my suffering we spend 5 minutes drawing Mike Waskowskis head?

I'm convinced that when they need to make up time or the animator needs to make a phone call or pee or something, they have everyone draw Mike Waskowski's head. I'm convinced of that because since that first class, I've been back six times. I've drawn Olaf, Rapunzel, Flynn Ryder, Mickey and Dopey twice. And each class was fun, detailed and about 20 minutes.

Still, I did my best to protect my drawing as I headed to the restroom. I did some fancy physics-defying feats as I carefully pinched that drawing between my camera and my purse, both suspended on the stall hook. However, at the sink, I wasn't as skilled and Mike was a bit wrinkled while sandwiched in my armpit as I washed and dried.

I was wishing I had remembered the paper towel tube as suggested on the Dis boards. Just then my husband called. His meeting was done and he saved the day, preserving my precious, 5-minute masterpiece in a portfolio he had with him.

Then, we moved on to enjoying our favorite attractions just as the girls were waking up and sending texts to us. They had planned to arrive around 11 because they wanted to sleep in. As it turned out, they arrived at about 3 and did their own thing most of the day. Hubby and I finished our day early and went back for a nap followed by more attempts to straighten out the bill. This was followed by the big melt-down finale caused by perfectionist husband's wish to check the bags for the airlines at 8 pm. Our daughters did not get that telepathic message.

I'm not even going to type it. We had just been together for too long.

But it all worked out fine. It always does.

The next morning we had about five hours to enjoy the Magic Kingdom before heading to the airport.

It was yet another awkward morning for me. A gigantic cockroach ran out of the sink drain as I began to brush my teeth. I am quite certain I woke up the entire Garden Wing and scared the life out of that poor bug. Which was probably lucky and less painful for him, because cockroaches are not shown the mercy we show most other catch and release insects.

Next, early admission again (woo hoo) for breakfast at the Crystal Palace. I'd just gotten that 8 am reservation the day before and we were excited to be able to enjoy almost empty Main Street with lots of silliness, photos and personal attention from the famous Barbara! Thanks MDE and whomever cancelled.

After breakfast, hubby gave us all Minnie Mouse charms for our bracelets that he'd picked up on the sly. Awww. And we were all emotional and sentimental about this trip and the ones prior.

We may have had some unpleasant moments but the great moments outweighed the bad by far. It had been just wonderful.

And now, I want to throw in some advice. You may have heard tech-critical complainers on soapboxes, talking about how people are so busy photographing everything that they miss the actual experiences. I have to say I whole-heartedly disagree. Except in extreme instances, I think we are so fortunate to live in this tech-happy age. I'm loving it. And I'm loving my photos. I'm sure you noticed I mention photos a lot. As I age and my memory goes, it's the photographs that help me remember past trips. The photos trigger memories and those memories trigger even more memories. I'm so grateful for every photo I have

So...take lots and lots of pictures of all your special moments. Make sure you have your PEOPLE that you love in most of your photos. And, if you avoid being in photos because you don't like the way you look, or you think you gained too much weight, or you don't look good in that outfit or even if you are sweaty and have blue frosting on your face, STOP THAT! You are beautiful to the people who love you. When they look at you and at pictures of you they see your soul, not your size or any of that other stuff.

I have only a few photos of my mother, who died when I was 23. Most of the photos I have are from her youth. I only have a couple where she looked the way she looked when I knew her. And to me, those are the most beautiful.

TRUST ME: Stop ducking out of family photos.

Just smile. And don't overthink the smile. Think of something funny and grin about it. Beautiful!

Thanks for reading and for the kind feedback. I may TR our two brief couple-only trips that followed this one. For now, I'm heading to my very first MNSSHP. I'd send a picture of me in my costume but I just feel too fat, so...

Just kidding!
We promised to send the kids pictures. And we will!

Last edited:

Hopefully, I've added a photo of a pastel painting of a pot of Geraniums. In March, there were pots of these at DHS and they were gorgeous. I have a lot more floral photos from that park in my idea file.

Yes, the painting photo shows up and it is BEAUTIFUL!! You have quite the talent. Or should I say talents? I thoroughly enjoyed this TR and hope you write more!! :cool1:

I know what you mean about meltdowns and other not so pleasant things that happen on trips….We never remember those and that's a great thing!! I have so many wonderful memories of vacationing with my family, it's all worth it!! ;)

Also, I have been trying to get in more photos recently after realizing it will be important to my kids in the future. I just have to put my vanity aside. :cool2:

I hope you have a great time at the MNSSHP and enjoy the rest of your trip!! :dance3::dance3:

Loved this!!! Your daughters are beautiful and look like their gorgeous Mom!! Your trip report was so much fun to read and I bet you couple trips will be just as much fun to read about!!!

As for your book, you could do presales here on the Dis!!!!

Here I've been dreading all the picture taking coming up at my daughter's wedding ........ Now I'm just gonna enjoy myself and SMILE! Thank you for that!

Thanks again for taking the time. I am one who ducks out of photos. Your comment touched a cord. Enjoy Fall in Indiana, fellow Hoosier. It can be a magical time.

You have brightened many of my days! Thank you for taking the time to write. And...Ummmm.......I'm going to stalk you for the next TR! :thumbsup2

Best trip report I've read so far. Thank you so much for writing it!! I really hope you write about your other trips.
Thanks for the laughs.

I just happened upon this thread tonight and have read every report and comment. I couldn't stop laughing! (People at work around me are wondering what I'm doing). Thank you for the report :)
We will be taking our family vacation in 28 days and there will be 12 of us. My family of 6, my sister's family of 4, and our parents. I've always wanted to journal our trip but wasn't sure I could. I think I'm going to try - although not on here...yet.
I've made a list of things that are a must now - including a couple of cupcakes and matching shirts for a photo for mom. Most importantly, thank you for the added reminder to get in the pictures. I will be taking that one to heart. I know the trip will mean more to all of us looking back in years to come if we are all in the pictures.

Thanks so much for your report, i loved every minute of it. And you are so right about being the pictures, there are hardly any of me anywhere, I will keep that in mind going forward.

Looking forward to your next one, hope i don't miss it...

Oh my goodness, we were at POFQ the same time as you! This is going to sound crazy, but did you and your husband ride test track on Tuesday (9/23?) I swore I saw you. The reason being, your husband looks just like a professor I had in college. (not Purdue, IU shhh…) And then when I read your update, I thought it might really have been you!
I love reading your report. You are hilarious. Keep it coming. :)

Oh my goodness, we were at POFQ the same time as you! This is going to sound crazy, but did you and your husband ride test track on Tuesday (9/23?) I swore I saw you. The reason being, your husband looks just like a professor I had in college. (not Purdue, IU shhh&#133;) And then when I read your update, I thought it might really have been you! I love reading your report. You are hilarious. Keep it coming. :)

No. We were only there 9/24-28. But I would have loved a surprise DIS meeting. Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to decide if my next two trips had anything to report besides the usual.

Oh my....where do I start?! I have had THE best fun reading your TR the past two days - you have an amazing writing skill and hands down this is THE best TR ever! I usually do not read TR's without pictures mostly because I am a visual person and need pics to relate but your TR doesn't need any pics (altho it would be fun to see some more - ;))

I have been trying to write a book and get it published (I won't disclose on the Boards what it is about because last time I did that a few years ago, I saw a very similar book on the shelves of Barnes & Noble - pure coincidence I'm certain). Any who.....I would love to PM to you to get your opinion on something my kids have been wanting me to do for over 5 years. And you're the perfect victim....I mean candidate.....for my project :upsidedow:scratchin

Your family vacation could be reversed to mirror our last Disney vacation except I took 3 of my boys. What a fun trip you had and I can't imagine your family doing it any other way. I hope you got to ride 7DMT on a future trip and that your girls get to join you again. I'll have to take a look at your ticker to see what other trips you've taken - please share your adventures with all of us. We love reading all about them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter