How to turn a romantic, affordable trip for 2 into a ruckus.

MeanestMomEver

Oh Boy!
I wasn't sure where to post this story but I need to tell it. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong spot. This isn't a trip report. It's more like a trip pre-saster.

My husband was so excited. He has a conference next month at the Contemporary. Now that our youngest is a college freshman, it's a great time for me to tag along. Our only out of pocket expense would be our tickets and there is a great rate for conference attendees and their guests! We even had enough FF miles to cover my ticket. Wow! What a great time to escape the snowy Midwest. Is this too good to be true? Yep.

We thought is would fall into place. Midway through our trip, college spring break will begin for our two youngest daughters. The one who is a senior had plans to go to San Diego to visit her boyfriend at his internship. We decided to send college Freshman daughter to Jacksonville FL to visit our oldest daughter, a single professional. They loved the plan. At first.

A week into it, youngest daughter decided that, maybe, she'd rather come with us. After all, someone has to keep mom company while dad is at the conference.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll be fine!"

"No, I'll go with you. It's ok."

Ok, add $25 a night for extra person in room, purchase additional 7 day ticket. Pay for extra meals, shuttle to airport. Pricier air fare. Ok. Not too bad.

But wait. Since daughter #3 is not visiting daughter number 1, that daughter decides she'll drive down for the weekend to see us too. Not only that, she'll even take a couple vacation days too! Ok. That's nice of you. Another $25 a night for the room. I guess we should cover her park ticket. And meals. But I draw the line on the gas. I'm tough like that. After all, she's a grown up.

Guess what. Yep. Daughter #2 says, "Awwwww. They are going too? It will be like old times. I should go too. This is probably the last time we will all be able to go on a family vacation! And besides, boyfriend will be working all day anyway. And I miss my sissies."

So, add another $25 a night to the room. At this point should I just get another room? Probably.
Another park ticket. Gee those dining reservations keep growing. That's going to cost me! Another air fare. Another airport bus fare.

And now everyone is gone from the house longer so the dog kennel bill doubled.

But it's just money and you can't put a price on that one, last, family vacation with "the children," right?

So husband wants to add a couple days to the end of the trip so he has time with the kids. $$$
And, he says, we might as well get Memory Maker because...you know...we won't get photos of our little girls like this again. And, he decides to bring them each a Disney themed Pandora charm because he wants them to remember that one last trip...he's a softie.

So we are feeling all warm and fuzzy. And broke. And then it really gets fun.

Daughter 3, has a best friend from kindergarten who now lives in Gainesville. Surprise! She's going to come spend time with us too. She doesn't know which days yet. She'll let us know. Eventually. hey, no problem. I'm sure those dining reservations and the surprise KTTK tour can be changed up, right? Ha!

And don't any of you worry about the other girls being annoyed that this special family time is being encroached upon because, as luck would have it, Daughter number 2's roommate and another sorority sis will be there too! And I'm sure after 24 hours apart, they'll be missing each other. So, you know. They can hang out.

Um, and did we mention that, surprise! Daughter number 1 has a pretty darn serious secret boyfriend? And wouldn't we love to meet him? Um. Ok.

"Yeah, but it might be his weekend to have his kids, (WHAT?) so he's not sure what he's doing yet. Maybe he can bring them." They'll let us know.

Doesn't that sound so affordable and romantic? Our empty nester, practically free, trip for two!

Would anyone like to join us?

Last edited:
OMG! You are sooo funny. I nearly choked on my coke while reading this . I have no suggestions , but would love to read a trip report / please keep posting .

OMG! You are sooo funny. I nearly choked on my coke while reading this . I have no suggestions , but would love to read a trip report / please keep posting .

Yes, PLEASE write a TR. This is too good of a teaser to just drop.

oh my gosh - what a snowball effect .... especially since it seems like at the end it won't even be a "last trip with the kids" as they will all be haning out with their friends!

oh, and the line "Yeah, but it might be his weekend to have his kids" pretty much caused me to spit out my coffee :rotfl:

I echo the requests for a trip report!

....And my DH says the kids won't want to go anymore once they reach a certain age...:rolleyes:

I love it!! Too funny!!:goodvibes

I'd love to write a trip report! I've never done one before so it may not be as fancy as the norm here. But it's sure to be speckled with plenty of old-fashioned family dysfunction.

You'll meet:

DH The Dad-Army vet and college professor. biggest WDW fan of all who foolishly hopes each trip will be as magical as "that one." He'll be at a conference every day until about 4. His needs: A refillable mug, gorging on German food, a box of potato head parts, kicking anyone's butt on Space Ranger Spin and TSMM, to some day make rope drop at ANY park and, the ultimate honor….being named THAT GUY and getting the sticker to taunt us.

Me- The peri-menopausal, hot-flashing, asthmatic mom. Prone to motion sickness. Numerous Allergies. Hates coasters because I just don't like that feeling of impending death. I also have a fear of flying but I am forcing myself to do it. First time since 1985. Gee. Even I don't look forward to traveling with me. I'm trying to teach myself real-deal photography. I like to take photos to use as reference and inspiration for pastel painting. I hope to get some good ideas for paintings that are not blatant Disney vacation scenes but still magical.

DD 1. Age 27. Florida resident. Industrial Engineer

DD 2. College senior

DD 3. College Freshman

Assorted BFFs who may or may not add to the magic. See OP.

DGS . I didn't even get to him on the OP because my hand was cramping up from one-finger iPhone typing. He's husband's grad student and family friend. He is attending the conference but we may spend a little time with him. He's a PhD candidate and just the kind of kid everyone imagines and hopes their son will be! Brilliant. Polite. Creative. Excellent son-in-law material and so, of course, invisible to my daughters. He's a talented professional photographer on the side and an award winning ballroom dancer. I'm not making this up. If he worked at Disney, he'd be a prince or head of cyber security. No wait. Both! He'd be both.

Our trip begins on March 11 unless our plane crashes. And I have word from a higher power that this could be a possibility:

Me: "I have a lot of flying anxiety and my friend suggested I see you and get something."

My Doctor: (Nodding) "Why are you anxious about flying?"

Me: "I'm not anxious about flying. I'm anxious about crashing."

Dr: "Hahahahaha"

Me thinking: (that's not only an old joke but it's not that funny). "I know it's irrational and everything but I..."

Dr: "Oh no. It's not irrational at all! I hate flying. I hate having no control. One mistake. You're dead. At least if you drive you have some control of your own safety. (Writes prescription for FIFTEEN Xanyx even though I asked for 2) Of course driving is bad too. People die on the highways every day...

Me: Don't tell me this!

Dr: I'm not a psychiatrist. (Laughs again)- but this time it's that uncomfortable laugh that I get from him a lot. And I have a feeling he's wondering if my account is paid up to date.

True story.

Last edited:

Ok, a trip report is a must! You have such a great way of telling a story that I'll look forward to reading your trip report!

So glad I clicked on this thread! I had to after seeing your screen name!

Very funny, in that "I'm glad it's not happening to me" way. Sounds like you will find the humor in everything and have a great trip.

Sounds like this could be very interesting...and for what it's worth my family- both parents who are 50, and younger brother, who is 22, and myself, 25, are going to WDW for the "last" family trip in May, but my parents are not as nice as you because I am also a single professional and paying every penny of my portion of the trip. They are paying my brothers portion because he is still in college. Your daughters better be thankful for your generosity.

oh wow - love the way you describe things and that story with your doctor is priceless :rotfl:

Oh, and as both my wife and I have engineering degrees and can identify with you oldest daughter. In fact, when I told her what you wrote my wife's response was "well, the load for POC is poorly designed!"

Can't wait to hear more ! Sounds like great reading. And for what it's worth - we all have dysfunctional families , you just have such an eloquent way of explaining yours.

This is fantastic! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. I'm in my mid. 30s now but I can totally see myself in the well- meaning but slightly clueless 20 something gals. Thinking. "Why wouldn't my parents want me along for a Disney trip ? How could they have fun without me ?" And I love that your husband is a sentimental softie. I'm sure it will be great, even with all the added unknowns and extra guests. Just not quite what you were expecting!

My son just looked at me weird because I burst out laughing in our living room after reading your conversation with your doctor! Too funny! Yes, please write a trip report when the trip is done. You have a fabulous writing style!! :worship:

It's been many weeks since my original post and I am nearly recovered so here goes...

Just a little refresher: The cast of characters, in order of appearance in the text of this report.

Me (Julie) aka Meanest Mom. Ever!

DH - professor at well known Engineering School.

DGS. Dear Grad Student.-phD candidate under supervision of DH. Age 28.

These characters join the 11day trip beginning on day 4:

DD 2 middle daughter, college student, age 23. Big fan of anything Princessy

DD3. Youngest of our three daughters. College freshman age 19.

DD1. Oldest Daughter. Age 27. Single. Florida Resident. engineer, self described nerd. Business analyst in Treasury Department of major bank.

3-11-14
As a reminder, I had not flown since 1986 and was very anxious about our early morning flight. Our previous 5 family trips were car trips. Very. Long. Car trips. I decided to arm myself with a bottle of 14 Xanax (which evidently, my doctor hands out like candy-see last post) and face those fears. Guess what! I didn't even take one!

My husband was awesome and brought things to keep me entertained and distracted. And, for those of you rolling your eyes about a grown woman being treated like a three year old....I'm gonna tell on you.

We watched The Jungle Book on DH's iPad. It's probably my least favorite movie but it was still fun. And boom Done. Landed. I did it! I did not freak out at all.

Even though DH is a seasoned business traveler, we make some rookie lost-in-the-airport moves but make it to DME check in after only a few minutes. I end up right in front, by two cast members guarding those menacing velvet ropes that prevent anxious Dis-ers from prematurely storming the busses before some secret signal is given that indicates it's time to board. Oddly, they are discussing the (still) missing Malaysian airliner that disappeared just a couple days prior. I begin to sweat and reach my hand into my carry-on to see if my lifetime supply of Xanax is still there. Because it is there, I feel better.

Soon, we board the bus and I begin texting photos of anything remotely recognize able as Florida-ish to DD2 and DD3. They are expecting a winter storm overnight so it seems like a good idea to torment them as they study for mid terms and clean up after our ancient Sheltie who vomits daily. I'm getting pretty excited. The trip is already a success and I'm not even on property yet.

We arrive at the CR around 11am. We are staying there because it's the location of DH and DGS's conference. It's something to do with security. Grad student arrives that evening. But this is my trip report and the conference talk bores me so that's enough about that.

I pretty much knew we would be in the garden wing since the conference rate is really low. But I hadn't counted on being in room 5150. That's the room that is as far as you can possibly get from the main building. I was kinda bummed about that until we walked in and realized the room is huge because it's on the very end. It also has windows on one wall in addition to the huge sliding doors. And it's going to be very quiet and private. And we liked it a lot!

Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the photos but I'll keep trying to fix it.

Last edited:
I was thinking about you and wondering if we'd get the trip report and voila! got this update. The room looks beautiful and the view gorgeous! :goodvibes

Can't wait to read about your adventures!! You have a beautiful family! :)

The part where we realize---it's just the two of us

After we check in we walk over to Magic Kingdom and all of you know what that first glimpse feels like! Ahh. Except it's very humid, 80 something degrees and my 6 foot 5 husband has a very long stride. Although he tries to remember that I have a hard time keeping up, we've only been together 30 years and he still forgets sometimes. So, after jogging to MK a half pace behind Mr sqashapenny, I'm having a pretty substantial asthma episode and a hot flash because menopause is just THAT funny.

Yeah, I'm already dripping in sweat and am going to need to recover a bit. So we inquire about walk up seating at Tonys for lunch. They tell us they can seat us in 20 minutes and they do. And it works perfectly because my issues clear up by then.

We're seated on the shady porch and it's lovely. We order a flat bread pizza to split and are both surprised by how tasty it is. While we wait on the food, I use my camera to take a few photos right from my seat (by the railing). I do pastel painting and it's my hope to get some interesting photos on the trip to use as inspiration.

Before the food arrives we both say how weird it is to be there without the kids and we agree we miss them. We are both close to tearing up but pretend we aren't and change the subject.

"Hey, that balloon seller by the fire station might be fun to paint!"

"Yeah, good thing I brought this big lens. (Sniff)"

Here's an example of a painting I did using one of my Disney photos as a reference.

OMG... :rotfl2:....

I would have to just say NO.... Stop the madness... :rotfl:

I know that you will enjoy your time. together.. I would at least make a date with DH, and tell the kiddo's that they are not invited ahead of time..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter