Fast pass not honored for flight of passage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother his wife and two children just returned from a week at Disney staying at Animal Kingdom.
This past weekend they attempted to use their Fast Pass for the time reserved for FOP.
There was no fast pass line and the regular line was past the lion king show.
When the asked a CM, they responded that Animal kingdom attendance is almost to capacity and the only way you will ride is to wait like others in the standby line.
The CM also said you can use that fast pass on any other ride in the park.....
When they got to the overhang that showed how long the wait would be it was still 130 min. They were already in line about 60 min.
They did not wait the 3 hours + to ride, and used their fast pass on Expedition Everest.

Now we are going over Halloween and hope this does not occur.

Has anyone else heard of this.

Thanks
Sorry this happened to your family. I don't know what happened and I wouldn't even speculate. If it were me I would have asked for the manager and told them I had a FP for this ride at this time and why can't I go on it. If that didn't work I would have gone to guest services and lodged a complaint. Especially if I had gotten the FP as part of the paid CL program. Then I would be requesting a refund. If it was because my FP's changed to multiple experience FP's for some reason I would be very angry also. I wouldn't know they changed because I don't check email or constantly check MDE while I am in the park.

I hope your brother complained to guest services either at the park or after he came home. This just doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry this happened to your family. I don't know what happened and I wouldn't even speculate. If it were me I would have asked for the manager and told them I had a FP for this ride at this time and why can't I go on it. If that didn't work I would have gone to guest services and lodged a complaint. Especially if I had gotten the FP as part of the paid CL program. Then I would be requesting a refund. If it was because my FP's changed to multiple experience FP's for some reason I would be very angry also. I wouldn't know they changed because I don't check email or constantly check MDE while I am in the park.

I hope your brother complained to guest services either at the park or after he came home. This just doesn't sound right to me.

Every time I have had a FP+ change to a multiple experience FP due to the ride being down ... it has always said that it is still good for the original FP+ if I want to wait for it to come back up. It only excludes some of the top rides if my original FP+ was not one of those rides.

And last couple trips I had rides go down closer to closing time and my replacement FP+ was actually good until close the next day.

When they got to the overhang that showed how long the wait would be it was still 130 min. They were already in line about 60 min.
They did not wait the 3 hours + to ride, and used their fast pass on Expedition Everest.

The overhang ride wait time should have been the total wait time, which would have mean they only had another 70 minutes to wait. Still too long for me but not for many. The only other place I have seen the wait time is when they post a CM at the end of the SB or FP+ line wherever it is and they hold up a manual sign of line starts here and what the wait time is if SB (because you can't see the other sign).

There are several statements you shared that they say the CM said that sounded off, my guess is the CM didn't know what they were talking about AND sadly, your people didn't have a good understanding how it all works in order to question the info they were given.

Last edited:
I would have opened my app, found the FP and showed it to the CM. If there was still an issue after scanning my band and showing the app I would have requested a manager immediately. That FP is the ONLY one I make an effort to get. I would have raised heck.

I agree with PPs that some info is missing here.

Just so you know, multi-experience FP are NOT available for Tier1 at any of the parks, and may have specific exclusions even in MK (Seven Dwarves anyone?). That means you cannot use the FP on FOP unless you specifically have the time assigned for it, not a "general" or "replacement" one. It sounds weird if that was the case.

Last time I was there something similar happened to me because the attraction I had the FP for was closed, so they turned it into a Multi-Experience with exception of all Pandora Rides. I had the DVC tour and got 3 FP more, Pandora Rides once again excluded.

But I did wait the 2+ hours line...IF there is a ride worthy of waiting a long line, it is FOP. My suggestion, do not leave WDW without riding it.

So, I have 3 “anytime” multiple experience fp’s (in addition to the ones I booked myself) For this Sunday because the EMM we booked was canceled. The CM gave me 3 extras for two days! It shows the available rides underneath it and SDMT and all the others are on there. Assuming I’m good to go with SDMT, PP, etc.

The story as presented isn't complete. Much is lost in the telling, either as communicated to the OP or communicated to the family from the CM.
We were there when the land was closed due to capacity and having a FP got you in. So I believe it really isn't possible that a CM told a guest that they were not allowed to use a FP. Sorry, CM are horrible with bad information but no way would they ever tell a guest with a valid FP that they can't get in line.

Did your family explain why they didn't use that FP like they did all other rides? Just walk up to the line?

Why would you be angry if your FP changed due to a ride being down? Just what do you think is a better option than a notice via MDE and an email? Not replacing the FP would be a lot worse.

Just so you know, multi-experience FP are NOT available for Tier1 at any of the parks, and may have specific exclusions even in MK (Seven Dwarves anyone?). That means you cannot use the FP on FOP unless you specifically have the time assigned for it, not a "general" or "replacement" one. It sounds weird if that was the case.

Last time I was there something similar happened to me because the attraction I had the FP for was closed, so they turned it into a Multi-Experience with exception of all Pandora Rides. I had the DVC tour and got 3 FP more, Pandora Rides once again excluded.

But I did wait the 2+ hours line...IF there is a ride worthy of waiting a long line, it is FOP. My suggestion, do not leave WDW without riding it.
They are if the ride you had the FP for originally was a Tier 1 ride. If the FP discussed in the OP was a FoP FP and FoP was down at some point, they most certainly were given a FP that would work for FoP, once it came up.

This is one of those cases where its so hard to figure out exactly what happened and why - just not enough information as the FP line for FOP is permanent. It does sound like they may have had a recovery FP and thought it would be valid for FOP or if they did pre book a FOP maybe they simply couldn't find the FP line and there were communication issues with the CM. Sorry this happened - but again its hard to know what actually happened with a 2nd hand report.

I once had a neighbor return and tell me there were no animals on their safari- I never did figure out that situation :)

Either way - OP don't worry, we visit WDW at least 3/4 x a year and have Never had a FP not honored.
The only time there wouldn't be a FP line is at park closing or during EMH

So, I have 3 “anytime” multiple experience fp’s (in addition to the ones I booked myself) For this Sunday because the EMM we booked was canceled. The CM gave me 3 extras for two days! It shows the available rides underneath it and SDMT and all the others are on there. Assuming I’m good to go with SDMT, PP, etc.
Your good to go on any ride shown on the list.
There have been a few GS recovery FP that worked on FoP. When we had a FP for GMR and they closed it down after FP were booked, we were given a FP that worked on any ride on property, including FoP.

Likely since it’s due to EMM issue they included those rides.

For mine it’s always been clear either by listing the only rides you can use it on OR it excludes rides.

As a former attractions CM, this situation sounds... strange, and it counters the standard procedure in place for most attractions. I don't doubt that this party had valid FP+ booked specifically for FOP. But the typical procedure for when a standby wait time reaches a certain point (usually 3 or 4 hours, depending on the capacity of the ride) is this: management will close the entrance to the standby line, and allow no other guests to get in the standby line until the wait time decreases, but those who are valid FP+ holders will still be allowed to enter the FP+ line. However, given the amount of CMs that work in Pandora Attractions and the rarity of this situation, I also don't doubt that they received the exact information you described from an ill-informed CM.

I'm sorry your brother and his family had this experience. I can't imagine how disappointed they must have been.

My brother his wife and two children just returned from a week at Disney staying at Animal Kingdom.
This past weekend they attempted to use their Fast Pass for the time reserved for FOP.
There was no fast pass line and the regular line was past the lion king show.
When the asked a CM, they responded that Animal kingdom attendance is almost to capacity and the only way you will ride is to wait like others in the standby line.
The CM also said you can use that fast pass on any other ride in the park.....

Now we are going over Halloween and hope this does not occur.

Has anyone else heard of this.

Thanks

If their fastpass was still able to be used on Expedition Everest after waiting 60 minutes in the FOP line, it was a multi-experience fastpass. A regular fastpass would have expired by then. The only thing that makes sense to me is that fastpass scanners were down, and they had to convert their FP to a multi-experience FP.

If their fastpass was still able to be used on Expedition Everest after waiting 60 minutes in the FOP line, it was a multi-experience fastpass. A regular fastpass would have expired by then. The only thing that makes sense to me is that fastpass scanners were down, and they had to convert their FP to a multi-experience FP.
Even if the permanent scanners were down for some reason they have handheld ones to use. (I've had them use those at the Safari before)

Was the CM working at that attraction? And some are saying that he/she didn't give the right information for that attraction and FP? And this is ok?

Yes, Disney has a LOT of CM's and yes there are a LOT in that section of the AK. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right answers for the place they are working at that time.

I love Disney, I really do, but the reasoning behind the excuses given for someone given bad information is just unacceptable. Bus Drivers? Sure. Asking someone in Disney Springs about something going on at MK, I expect to maybe get the wrong answer. But to ask someone working a particular attraction a question about that attraction and getting the wrong answer is not acceptable.

I don't care if they have to give them a cheat sheet every hour about what is going on at that particular time, the person that is in a position that you are most likely to ask a question of, should have the right answer.

OP, I would complain. I would have complained then but short of that, your brother should email them at least. Not much they can do for him and his family at this point but maybe someone will have the thought of "maybe we should fix this".

Was the CM working at that attraction? And some are saying that he/she didn't give the right information for that attraction and FP? And this is ok?

Yes, Disney has a LOT of CM's and yes there are a LOT in that section of the AK. Doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right answers for the place they are working at that time.

I love Disney, I really do, but the reasoning behind the excuses given for someone given bad information is just unacceptable. Bus Drivers? Sure. Asking someone in Disney Springs about something going on at MK, I expect to maybe get the wrong answer. But to ask someone working a particular attraction a question about that attraction and getting the wrong answer is not acceptable.

I don't care if they have to give them a cheat sheet every hour about what is going on at that particular time, the person that is in a position that you are most likely to ask a question of, should have the right answer.

OP, I would complain. I would have complained then but short of that, your brother should email them at least. Not much they can do for him and his family at this point but maybe someone will have the thought of "maybe we should fix this".
I would too, IF the family in the OP is accurate in exactly how it went down.
But did anyone say it was OK to get wrong info from the CM? Or did they just say it's not surprising?

I personally do not think that any CM working told these people their booked FoP FP was not going to be honored, either during it's hour or even later if for some reason the ride was down during their FP time. The first part that makes no sense is the family said there was "no FP line". We all know that's impossible unless the family was there at EMH. So something is missing from the story, something quite important. Exactly what time was their FP for and exactly what time the family was trying to use it

I've been there when it was at it's worse, most crowded and never seen them ever shut down the standby line, they just let it grow and grow till whatever length. Except for close to park closing time. There were times they shut down stand by really late in the day so they could clear it by a reasonable time following closing. They wouldn't let there be a 5 hour line at closing. But they sure let them grow that big in the middle of the day.

Last edited:
I'm thinking there is some information missing from this... Sounds like a miscommunication from either the CM to the family or from the family to the OP. My original thought was that it was a family not as familiar with FP+ and didn't have the time correct (too early/late). OP did return to state that the family did make the FP for that specific ride, so it doesn't sound like an "any ride" FP. More info needed, just doesn't sound right.

The problem is when you have someone unfamiliar with the ins and outs of FP's, lines, etc... and a hiccup happens somewhere along the way. There simply is no way of knowing what was actually said by the parties involved (the guests and the CM). But, looking at the clues, it was not a FoP FP specifically at that instance, now, could there have been a reason a FoP FP was changed? Yeah, but there is still info missing. Perhaps the CM was less than helpful, but it's not clear what actually happened.

On the face of it, if this was a FP they scheduled within their 60 day window specifically for FOP and they were denied entrance to the FP line (and the ride was running), then yes, that is wrong and unacceptable.

I tend to agree with those who said their is other missing info and that a misunderstanding is likely to blame. Could be the family didn't understand the FP process in some way or that the CM didn't understand what the family was trying to accomplish.

The problem is when you have someone unfamiliar with the ins and outs of FP's, lines, etc... and a hiccup happens somewhere along the way. There simply is no way of knowing what was actually said by the parties involved (the guests and the CM). But, looking at the clues, it was not a FoP FP specifically at that instance, now, could there have been a reason a FoP FP was changed? Yeah, but there is still info missing. Perhaps the CM was less than helpful, but it's not clear what actually happened.

Yeah my thinking is that perhaps the OP's family didn't really understand the ins and outs of FP and got confused about something. At FoP (and 7DMT for that matter) they really don't allow you to enter if the reader turns blue. I've seen more than one occasion where people are arguing with the CM and it causes a backup of people waiting to scan. It's especially bad at FoP because people have to get a rider swap pass and they have to hand out those cards, and so on. People will often feign ignorance when they do know better hoping to get by. It really doesn't help when people truly are confused. I think they definitely need to have enough people around to intervene without causing a bottleneck and often they do not.

I feel like that's a Disney-wide problem and it's extremely frustrating. Misinformed CMs stating info. that's incorrect or not explaining the full story about a situation leads to very easily confused ppl. It's not a guests job to know the ins/outs of how Disneys complicated systems. Most of us do know, which is our choice, but it has to be really frustrating for a guest that doesn't live on the disboards like I do lol. It took me a long time to train myself to not take a CMs information at face value. I'm generally someone who doesn't question/doubt employees, but at Disney i know I have to push myself out of my comfort zone and either question, ask a 2nd cm or just not listen at all to a CM, when I'm 99% sure they're wrong.

We've been at least yearly for over a decade and always looking for updates/info on the dis and even I get a little confused or start to question myself when a selfassured cm says something inaccurate, I cant imagine how often a regular guests is steered wrong.

I wish Disney didn't have a system that was so confusing for the non-Disney nerd crowd. But if they really had a FOP fastpass and got into the standby line and waited for 60 minutes before they got to the "overhang" it is very very likely that the original FP they had booked for FOP had already expired. It is really unfortunate that the system has to be soo confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter