Disappointing stay at BWV

When the conditions of the system were outlined it was with completely separate resorts. First it was only The Disney Vacation Club aka OKW then VB and HHI. Next came BWV which was connected but separate from BWI. But at the start they were not part of or even connected to the hotels. And, it is just a timeshare with various restrictions that make it different from a hotel. Many do forget that. If the costs of it keep getting added to then one might as well pay cash to the hotel side to stay onsite.

One can't disagree that that is how the system was setup, but where it's reasonable to disagree is whether it was the best decision to be "just a timeshare" or whether DVC could have been something more. As for costs, stuff like daily housekeeping would drive up costs unnecessarily, but it's the minimal cost stuff that could be covered by like a two cent line item to dues. But if it's going to be less like a hotel and more like a timeshare, they might as well cut out services like bell services.

ETA: i like the sentiment that there are different accommodations for people who like to travel differently, that not everything hotel and DVC sides be ubiquitous and necessarily automatic, but the availability of basic stuff like cots, towels, ect should be readily available. If not baked into dues, then as additional charges without feeling like one is pulling teeth. DVD largely *does* make things possible (towel packages, etc), but it should not be so difficult to get requested services.

I'd sum up my thoughts this way:
*Service* should not be any different on either side. And the extras on the hotel should be available to people on the DVC side, as either an additional charge "pay as you play" or small misc. assessment.

Last edited:
*Service* should not be any different on either side. And the extras on the hotel should be available to people on the DVC side, as either an additional charge "pay as you play" or small misc. assessment.

I agree, *service* should be the same. But the extras on the two sides are different. That's the way it was designed. Hotel v. Timeshare. Most "deluxe" timeshares offer bell services (HHI aside)!

Should someone on the hotel side have a microwave and toaster delivered upon request? Sometimes the answer is "no", even on vacation, even from Disney.

I have only been a member for 5+ years. BWV is one of my homes and my number one favorite place to stay. One main reason is the staff and the services they provide. Just in my short time as a DVC owner, I have seen the benefits change, MF rise at historical rates, etc. I truly went into this long term, prepaid Disney lodging as a timeshare; nothing more and nothing less. Do I get frustrated at seemingly us the owners getting "nickel and dime" to death, yes. Are we told that cutting this service and that benefit helps keeps the ever rising MF in check, yes as we watch them annually climb.

At the end of the day, this product continues to not only hold its value, but appreciate. Supply and demand tells me the DVC product has a very high approval rate. As hard as it is due to the up front cost along with the annual cost to think of this as any other age old timeshare, in my opinion if we do our exceptions will be kept in checked.

I think this is a good way of putting it.

Different products for different types of travelers. That doesn't have to be seen as a negative that it is set up differently.

Its one of the reasons why I don't like it when we tell potential buyers or renters that DVC is a "Deluxe" at the price of a "Moderate" - in many ways DVC doesn't even equal a moderate - and that is in things like rollaway beds and mousekeeping and fresh towels every day - and in things like cancellation ability.

As to the bed, I travel a lot internationally and am used to paying $15-$50 a night for a rollaway bed. Yes, that is right, we decided to take our daughter with us to Sydney and are spending $50 a night for a roll away bed. Giving away rollaways for free means you need to store a lot of rollaways - and that takes space.....something Disney didn't build into DVC was space for rollaways. Heck they are having issues with space for Magical Express luggage storage and bell services grocery delivery. I'm not sure where all these extra beds would be stored.

I have no issues with something when it was outlined before purchase. Then you know what you are buying and can either choose to purchase or not. There are other things to complain about but not something that hasn't changed over the years.

I had a "less than stellar" stay at BWV but for other reasons. That aside, I don't understand the towel issue. There is a washer and dryer in the room. Why didn't you just do a load of towels??

Tough crowd :duck:

If it wasn't obvious, I had no idea these things shouldn't have been requested. The box fan request started 3 years ago during our stay at the Grand Floridian. The ease of the request and question of how many implied to me, it wasn't a big deal. I carried that with me to this years stay. Not getting any push back or even a hesitstion when asked, it never crossed my mind it shouldn't be asked/requested. We requested 3 fans only because of the 3 sections we had (2 bedroom lock off, so 3 sections). Honestly, a noise machine or app never crossed my mind. I wished it would have.

Honestly, it never entered my mind to use the washer/dryer with the provided soap. It was in my mind to wash "our" clothes, and not the items provided. Not sure why, but I never thought to wash them ourselves. Now I feel like a dope. But glad it was pointed out, so I can take that with me on future stays.

I guess it boiled down to me *thinking* DVC to be more like a hotel rather than a time share. We've only ever done "hotel" stays in the past, and our prior stays as DVC members wasn't much different. It seems like this stay was more in line with what a normal DVC stay should be, and what we had in the past was the exceptions. Shame on me for coming off as a pompous *** whining because I didn't get my way (or requests). Sorry to those that were offended and felt the need to be defensive. If nothing else, I now see I need to be more familiar with how our DVC works, and not make assumptions on how I *think* it is.

I guess it boiled down to me *thinking* DVC to be more like a hotel rather than a time share. We've only ever done "hotel" stays in the past, and our prior stays as DVC members wasn't much different. It seems like this stay was more in line with what a normal DVC stay should be, and what we had in the past was the exceptions.
This is sorta what I was thinking. I wouldn't take what's being said as too personal here though :) I think people are just trying to say they are separate expectations.

I know a few people who don't like the idea of not getting the more hotel experience they've become accustomed to. For that reason they don't even look at for rent by owner things on VRBO or whatnot much less timeshare stuff. But that said at least one couple has stayed at a Hilton Grand Vacations property one time which allowed owners of Hilton Grand Vacation Club to book on points but also is completely connected to Hilton's website so that any person can book it as a normal hotel stay and that's what they did.

We requested 3 fans only because of the 3 sections we had (2 bedroom lock off, so 3 sections). Honestly, a noise machine or app never crossed my mind.
Honestly the box fan to me personally isn't a crazy request. I have a hard time sleeping in silence and use a standing fan all year round at my house. When it's wintertime I just turn the fan away from me but it's the noise I need. Now I have tried noise apps but not noise machines. The noise apps for me personally just don't mimic the standing fan or louder A/C unit enough but like I said I haven't tried noise machines. I usually can get by with a louder-style a/c unit that is in the room when I'm traveling. If you use your points enough maybe it's worth getting your own box fans and maybe even some additional towels and doing an Owner's locker or something similar. The DVC member I know who has one does 2 trips a year (1 as a couple and 1 with their family) so it's def. worth it to them.

Honestly, it never entered my mind to use the washer/dryer with the provided soap.
Hindsight. I kinda get this too. I mean it's easy to think "it's their towel not mine towel" and not think that you could even wash it. But hey now you know in the future wash away :)

Also want to add that I have one of the purple Owner's Lockers. I keep noise machine and Kuerig and laundry pods/dryers sheets in my purple bin (among other things). Could put a twin sized air mattress in there but I have other stuff like a sweatshirt, hats, extra flip flops, whole set of full sized toiletries, bottle of rum, hair flat iron, spare MBs, tote bag, umbrella and ponchos. Also have the little tackle box thing filled with varying meds, bandaids, tweezers and the such. Might be worth looking into getting one. We have been DVC for 13 years and just finally got a locker last year. Looking forward to having it for our fall 9 night trip. Will use the heck pout of the stuff in it. And it's less packing for me.

Tax Guy,
No one thinks you are pompous, yes it can be a change to go from hotel side to DVC side. Not all DVC’s have an attached hotel. Some DVC resorts do not even have elevators to most rooms to get a rolling bed to. Some DVC resorts are spread out and getting items to you involves a CM getting on a gold cart and driving it to the building. When people ask me about DVC, one of the first things I tell them is that it may look like a hotel room, but act like it is your house aka home away from home. But if something is broke and does not work, just call them to fix it, but everything else is on them. If you want it to bring it. I hope your future trips are great and you enjoy your time in the resorts.

This is sorta what I was thinking. I wouldn't take what's being said as too personal here though :) I think people are just trying to say they are separate expectations.

I know a few people who don't like the idea of not getting the more hotel experience they've become accustomed to. For that reason they don't even look at for rent by owner things on VRBO or whatnot much less timeshare stuff. But that said at least one couple has stayed at a Hilton Grand Vacations property one time which allowed owners of Hilton Grand Vacation Club to book on points but also is completely connected to Hilton's website so that any person can book it as a normal hotel stay and that's what they did.

Honestly the box fan to me personally isn't a crazy request. I have a hard time sleeping in silence and use a standing fan all year round at my house. When it's wintertime I just turn the fan away from me but it's the noise I need. Now I have tried noise apps but not noise machines. The noise apps for me personally just don't mimic the standing fan or louder A/C unit enough but like I said I haven't tried noise machines. I usually can get by with a louder-style a/c unit that is in the room when I'm traveling. If you use your points enough maybe it's worth getting your own box fans and maybe even some additional towels and doing an Owner's locker or something similar. The DVC member I know who has one does 2 trips a year (1 as a couple and 1 with their family) so it's def. worth it to them.

Hindsight. I kinda get this too. I mean it's easy to think "it's their towel not mine towel" and not think that you could even wash it. But hey now you know in the future wash away :)
I agree with the noise apps, why can’t the buy a fan or ac unit and record the noise and loop it. They have fake fan sounds that are awful. I can get buy with the app but sleep way better with a fan.

Fan noises on apps are horrible. I like the sound of the ocean on apps and often sleep with that going.

Tough crowd :duck:

If it wasn't obvious, I had no idea these things shouldn't have been requested. The box fan request started 3 years ago during our stay at the Grand Floridian. The ease of the request and question of how many implied to me, it wasn't a big deal. I carried that with me to this years stay. Not getting any push back or even a hesitstion when asked, it never crossed my mind it shouldn't be asked/requested. We requested 3 fans only because of the 3 sections we had (2 bedroom lock off, so 3 sections). Honestly, a noise machine or app never crossed my mind. I wished it would have.

Honestly, it never entered my mind to use the washer/dryer with the provided soap. It was in my mind to wash "our" clothes, and not the items provided. Not sure why, but I never thought to wash them ourselves. Now I feel like a dope. But glad it was pointed out, so I can take that with me on future stays.

I guess it boiled down to me *thinking* DVC to be more like a hotel rather than a time share. We've only ever done "hotel" stays in the past, and our prior stays as DVC members wasn't much different. It seems like this stay was more in line with what a normal DVC stay should be, and what we had in the past was the exceptions. Shame on me for coming off as a pompous *** whining because I didn't get my way (or requests). Sorry to those that were offended and felt the need to be defensive. If nothing else, I now see I need to be more familiar with how our DVC works, and not make assumptions on how I *think* it is.
Are you a dvc owner? Your complaints all fall within well known DVC timeshare limitations.

I didn't think you can get extra beds/cots at the BWV due to the square footage of the room and the building codes. If they could have put a sleeper chair in their, I would think they would have.

The reason for the towels is probably b/c you mentioned it was a 2BR lock off. When you call they probably only see the type of room it is from the room you are calling from. Yes, they should know you are renting both the studio and the 1BR, but it sounds like they didn't realize it.

Are you a dvc owner? Your complaints all fall within well known DVC timeshare limitations.

Yes, we're DVC owners. As I also mentioned in my posts, I was unaware these requests were NOT allowed or forbidden. So, I guess they aren't well known to all DVC members.

Since member annual fees pay for everything for the upkeep of the resort, there is nothing given for free except to keep the resort maintained. So you can get toilet paper (as good as that is), paper towels, garbage bags, dish and dishwasher detergent without any additional charge because that helps maintain the resort. But not towels or laundry detergent because that keeps you maintained, not the resort.

For BCV, BWV, SSR, BRV the website says the villa can accommodate a fifth or ninth person, but nothing is provided for that person. At BWV, the ninth person gets to sleep on the murphy bed in the studio portion because all the two bedroom villas are lockoffs. Not all the two bedroom villas at SSR, BCV and BRV are lockoffs. Some are dedicated, so no murphy bed in the second bedroom. The website even has layouts of the various villas so you can actually see where all the beds are located. Next trip, check the website before you book your stay.
From the DVC member website:
Laundry and Housekeeping Services

Disney Vacation Club Resorts offer laundry and housekeeping services. Daily housekeeping service is not provided for Members.

A 24-hour self-service laundry room is available at each Disney Vacation Club Resort. There are also dry-cleaning and valet laundry services. Villas with one or more bedrooms feature an in-unit washer and dryer.
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of 7 nights or fewer, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 4, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both.
With Trash & Towel Service, Housekeeping will:
  • Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins
  • Provide fresh bathroom linens
  • Replace bath amenities as needed
  • Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper
  • Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners
Full-Cleaning Service
For stays of 8 or more nights, Full-Cleaning Service is provided on day 4 and Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 8, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both. This cycle repeats for stays longer than 8 days.
With Full-Cleaning Service, Housekeeping will provide everything included with the Trash & Towel Service, plus:
  • Change the bed linens
  • Vacuum and dust the vacation villa
  • Clean the bathroom(s)
  • Clean the kitchen/kitchenette and wash the dishes
For all stays regardless of the length of the stay, daily trash removal will be provided. Rental Guests (non-Members or Disney Vacation Club Members not booking through Membership) receive Full-Cleaning Services every day.
For all of the above, additional Housekeeping Services may be purchased.
Additional Housekeeping Service Daily Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $30 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $45 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $60 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $75 per day requested
Additional Trash & Towel Service Rates:
  • Deluxe Studio: $10 per day requested
  • 1-Bedroom Villa: $15 per day requested
  • 2-Bedroom Villa: $20 per day requested
  • 3-Bedroom Grand Villa: $30 per day requested
Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities at no extra charge at the start of your stay and during each Housekeeping service. After that, you may purchase more amenities for the following fees (fees are subject to change):
  • Toiletries Package: $5 - includes 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
  • Coffee Package: $3 - includes 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
  • Towel Package: $6 - includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
  • 2 Bathrobes: $6
  • Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2- and 3-Bedroom Villas): $1 - includes 1 box for 1 load of laundry
NOTE: Rates are subject to change without notice.

Last edited:
Yes, we're DVC owners. As I also mentioned in my posts, I was unaware these requests were NOT allowed or forbidden. So, I guess they aren't well known to all DVC members.
Well, now you know and can understand why other members on here view your complaints as lacking any foundation. While your requests are not “forbidden”, they go above what you should expect from DVC. I understand the frustration that arose from being told “yes” only to find out that the real answer is “we will try”. But you were asking for things that go beyond what Is the norm and I see any request above the norm that get filled is pixie dust.

I hope your next stay is more satisfactory.

There's much I don't understand here, starting with not understanding how some issues with towels, extra fans (if no sound machine, at least a phone app), and cot could throw one off their trip. To each their own.

But I also don't understand why DVC members so easily accept low standards set by DVD that makes simple requests like OP's "above and beyond." I understand limited mousekeeping (higher costs), but requests for extra towels, cots, toilet paper, etc are so small to either be absorbed by DVC or inclusive in something like an additional one cent assessment to dues.
Right, but one thing that makes Disney's system largely different is that the timeshare side is that most of the DVC resorts are directly attached to hotels that have the infrastructure and employees to carry out these simple requests.

My expectations and idea of "less" because it's "like home" was established by Disney itself. It's a cop out by Disney to be like other timeshares when Disney's history is to not be equal to the competition but *better than* the competition. The idea of Disney service being different whether in a DVC room or a hotel room is crazy, and it's compounded when the rooms are often literally under the same roof.
If you plan on buying points at Riviera some day, there is a lot to learn about DVC and how DVC is totally different from hotels. Plus with Riviera being totally DCV like OKW and SSR, they might do a lot better on treating guests like DVC members, at least better than the DVC resorts attached to Disney hotels. Plus throw in the CP kids working housekeeping and the front desk who know nothing about how DVC works and you get problems like the OP's. You pay for everything at a DVC resort. It's a good idea to learn that before you buy your points.

The DVC Boards are the best way to find out more about DVC. Spend a little more time here and you'll get all the scoop on what's going on.

Since member annual fees pay for everything for the upkeep of the resort, there is nothing given for free except to keep the resort maintained. So you can get toilet paper (as good as that is), paper towels, garbage bags, dish and dishwasher detergent without any additional charge because that helps maintain the resort. But not towels or laundry detergent because that keeps you maintained, not the resort.

For BCV, BWV, SSR, BRV the website says the villa can accommodate a fifth or ninth person, but nothing is provided for that person. At BWV, the ninth person gets to sleep on the murphy bed in the studio portion because all the two bedroom villas are lock-offs. Not all the two bedroom villas at SSR, BCV and BRV are lockoffs. Some are dedicated, so no murphy bed in the second bedroom. The website even has layouts of the various villas so you can actually see where all the beds are located. Next trip, check the website before you book your stay.
From the DVC member website:

Thanks for the link. So, to add to the inconsistencies, we stayed for 7 nights. Our trash was emptied daily. We didn't ask, it was just done. Each evening when we returned, the kitchen and bathroom trash bins were empty and new liners in. We also had a new dish soap left for us (we washed dishes by hand because the dishwasher didn't actually get the dishes clean). This also played into the notion of a "hotel" stay that we were used to and not, what now reads, as a typical DVC stay. :confused3

Our toilet paper request was on day 5 or 6 of our stay (I don't recall the exact day, but remember it was after the scheduled replenish day of towels, etc as posted on the notice I referred to earlier). So, even though the replenish was done the day before (on day 3 instead of day 4 as scheduled), we never got more TP as outlined in the link you posted.

We would have paid any additional fees for the fans and/or cot, as I mentioned in my post, my replies and even at the desks when I asked for them. I wasn't asking knowing it wasn't typically an option, nor was I asking for free either.

When my wife booked the trip and the rooms, she *thought* there was a pull out chair, which would have been perfect for our situation. It wasn't until about a week before our trip that I came to the boards to see the layout, so I could be at least a little familiar with the rooms, the buildings, the pool locations, bus stops, etc. That's when I saw no pull out chair and knew we'd have a (potential) conflict with sleeping arrangements. Sure, the 2 sixteen year old boys could have shared the pull out couch, but (again, not knowing it's not normal) we thought we could ask for another sleep surface (still thinking of the hotel type stay and services).

To reiterate, again, this did NOT ruin our trip, at all. It just seemed odd (to me) with the ASSUMPTIONS of what we were used to, and how it played out. My lesson here is to never assume any level of service, if written or verbal, because they could change.

Thanks to all who replied, and helped to set me straight on what's expected of DVC. I can honestly say I treated our membership as a typical hotel stay and didn't know or even think it would be different. Lesson learned. I'd much rather learn this way, than putting staff in awkward situaitons (like I probably did).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter