Disappointing stay at BWV

OK, to try and answer some questions and clear the air....

No, we were not trying to buy points. When I called it was because I was looking at the layout of the rooms (on this site, because I was finally getting excited for our trip and wanted to have an idea what to expect). That's when I saw there wasn't a second sleeping surface in one of the area's (where we planned on the 2 boys to sleep). My wife thought there was a pull out chair (twin bed) in addition to the pull out sofa. That's when I called CS to ask what options we had. I was then told we could request an air mattress (free of charge) or something else, like a cot or roll away bed, but there would probably be a fee. I said an air mattress should be fine. CS entered the request in the reservation. Then was asked if there was anything else, that's when I asked about a room with a view other than the parking lot. That request was also entered. CS then did advise these are only requests and no guarantees, of which I acknowledged and knew. It was then, I talked about the box fans. Didn't know if I should ask for them now or during check in, like we did at our last visit 3 years ago (at the Grand Floridian). CS said w could do either, request with the reservation or at check in. I opted for with the reservation since we were making requests already. I was unaware these items are NOT provided, even when asked or requested. Had CS mentioned that, even if it was presented as "we can ask, but these are typically NOT an option", then I would have had less of an expectation (or actually none at all). I was also willing to pay any up charge if it applied. With all that said, when we arrived I wasn't upset that these things weren't in the room, just figured I could ask now that we were there. So, I called the front desk and once again, was told the items would be sent right up. Great. Never knew they were forbidden or couldn't be provided, and wasn't told any different when I called the desk. So, still under the impression these items and requests were OK, we asked for another fan since our original was for multiple and we received one. Before the end of the night, we had fans, so it all worked out just fine. I was just surprised because Disney is usually right on top of EVERYTHING. So with this delay (that's all it was, a delay, because we did get what we asked for).

Regarding the extra sleep surface. When the air mattress was flat the next morning, we said we'd ask to see if there was a cot or something. If there was a fee for it, we'd pay it so he could have a comfortable nights sleep. When we stopped at bell services that morning to ask if there was a cot, we were told yes, they have them available and it's usually a first come, first served. I was also told there would be no extra charge for a cot. I asked if we could be on that list if one became available, and was then told yes, and that there are some available so they would send one right up. Again, the surprise was when we returned to not see it, after being told they have them, they are available and they were bringing one. When we then returned to bell services to ask about the cot again, they said they would send it up right away. I then asked if we needed to be in the room to "accept" it, and was told no, they would bring it in for us. OK, great. After dinner, there was a roll away twin size bed in our room. The extra bedding was actually already in the room (in the front closet in a bag labeled "extra bedding"). Again, wasn't the end of the world, just another delay. He was able to sleep comfortably that night and the rest of our stay. Just surprised again as Disney is usually on top of everything.

As for the towels. Again, not a major issue other than surprised. Shame on me for not reading the notice sooner to see that they were scheduled to be changed out the next day after the request was made. Didn't seem to be an issue being done a day sooner than posted, other than they didn't replace all the towels, just half of them. Who knows, maybe the confusion was because we had a lock off and they thought only one room needed or asked for new towels? Perhaps. They did get more after they brought the original 4 when we asked. So again, no major issue other than not really knowing the details (2 rooms instead of 1). Edit to add: we had plenty of towels for all of us. We had asked for replacement towels, not MORE or extra towels. The notice of the efforts to conserve water and energy is where I saw they would replace towels, scheduled the day AFTER we asked. When replacing the towels, they replaced 4 of the 8.

This in no way ruined our trip. It just didn't feel like it was up to Disney standards and what we have grown used to. All our prior stays as DVC members at Bay Lake Towers and the Floridian have been wonderful and up the traditional Disney standard. Same applies to the stays we had before becoming DVC members, at Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and even All Star Sports! This stay was just a little different from those standards. All of this is really just first world problems and not an issue in the bigger the picture. I just wanted to share it so others aren't lead to believe everything Disney is always magical and there can be little hiccups along the way. That's all. We still enjoyed our stay, the parks the grounds. Everything except the weather! It was way too hot and humid for my thick New England blood! :crazy2:

I hope to stay at as many different resorts as possible, so I can see what each has to offer in regards to location and set up. Some will be better than others, based on our tastes and current conditions, construction and upgrades/updates. The one thing I would think stays consistent no matter which resort or location, is the level of service and commitment from staff. They have always been second to none, and I absolutely love that about them.

Last edited:
It just didn't feel like it was up to Disney standards and what we have grown used to.

The point most of us are making is what you were asking for is not within the DVC product or delivery, and you're basically being disappointed that the vegetarian restaurant didn't bring you a pig roast.

You have to be very careful about who you speak to on the phone, and what they say. MS is usually pretty clear, main reservations center is not, and when MS calls roll over to the outsource staff, all bets are off to what they say versus reality. Phone staff are not supposed to say no, they're not supposed to say they don't know, and they do have to meet turn time metrics. It can lead to some bad misinformation.

The point most of us are making is what you were asking for is not within the DVC product or delivery, and you're basically being disappointed that the vegetarian restaurant didn't bring you a pig roast.

You have to be very careful about who you speak to on the phone, and what they say. MS is usually pretty clear, main reservations center is not, and when MS calls roll over to the outsource staff, all bets are off to what they say versus reality. Phone staff are not supposed to say no, they're not supposed to say they don't know, and they do have to meet turn time metrics. It can lead to some bad misinformation.

I understand what many of you are saying about these things not being typical (now). But if the phone rep AND the front desk as well as bell services tells me I can in fact have a pig roast, I shouldn't be surprised when they don't bring it out?

If it was just a phone rep that mislead or simply just "yes sir" me, and front desk and bell services also did that, then I shouldn't think it was within limits of requests? I had no idea guests weren't allowed to ask for additional items or have requests. Now I do, I guess, from the others replies. However, the items were requested, was told from multiple departments/services OK, then it was a little less than what I anticipated. Had I been told it might not happen or it would be an hour, two, a day or even a few days, then so be it. I'm trying to say, don't tell guests one thing, and do another. Be straight with me. Don't over promise then under perform. I'd rather have you tell me it will be a few days, then deliver before that.

I get that there's no towel service, but they only provide 4 towels for 8 people? And I understand not providing bedding for a requested extra sleeping surface, but if you are within the room max why wouldnt there be bedding for that number? It seems odd that they'd designate and book a room for X but not provide for X, at minimum. They charged you more points for the bigger room. Would they book a studio for 4 but only provide 1 set of sheets and 2 sets of towels? Or none?

On our May 2018 stay at VGF we had issues with linens and housekeeping. Our 5 person studio did not have linens for the pull out couch (4 people on the reservation) and each day we ended up with fresh towels. Great, right? Not exactly, as they shorted us towels each day (2 towels left three days in a row). Each time I had to call housekeeping for additional towels. I even stopped by the front desk to see what the issue was; we were staying on points and did not expect towel service during our short stay. I still believe that our room was somehow mislabeled in the housekeeping inventory as a cash room for two people. We also had to request two blankets, as there was only 1 in the room when we checked in and I cannot sleep when it is hot, so my poor kids bring winter pjs and everyone else needs a blanket.

But, back to your towel issue, why not wash them one day/night? Viola! Fresh towels.

I understand what many of you are saying about these things not being typical (now). But if the phone rep AND the front desk as well as bell services tells me I can in fact have a pig roast, I shouldn't be surprised when they don't bring it out?

If it was just a phone rep that mislead or simply just "yes sir" me, and front desk and bell services also did that, then I shouldn't think it was within limits of requests? I had no idea guests weren't allowed to ask for additional items or have requests. Now I do, I guess, from the others replies. However, the items were requested, was told from multiple departments/services OK, then it was a little less than what I anticipated. Had I been told it might not happen or it would be an hour, two, a day or even a few days, then so be it. I'm trying to say, don't tell guests one thing, and do another. Be straight with me. Don't over promise then under perform. I'd rather have you tell me it will be a few days, then deliver before that.

When you call the "front desk" from the resort you are getting a call center. That is not uncommon to cause complications for correct or rather incorrect answers and requests not getting passed along.

In the end I think you see that we are all surprised that you even ended up with half the stuff you did as it isn't normal. And I personally think the fact it isn't normal is part of why you ran into any issues in getting them. Also, I do take the "that is just a request" at a different angle than you did. "Just a request" means it's not guaranteed and if you want to be certain of it then you need to provide it yourself. A lot of this is seeing the difference between a timeshare and a hotel because there are differences. I wouldn't disagree that it gets confusing at Disney because of all the crossovers and it might be better if there weren't the differences.

For cot/airbed requests I would have thought it should be made of housekeeping. If that is normally who provides these things, and I think they are, then again it might have been the communication between 2 departments.

Towels - yes. We have received some weird towel combinations over the years at various resorts. Calling to get the corrected number has resolved it but yes, it would be nice if they were always on with what is required. Housekeeping isn't exactly a strong suit in general with Disney.

Last edited:
We always bring our own air mattress and sound machine. When we have a washer and dryer, we wash our own towels. I never thought to ask for any of these things. That said, it's frustrating when the people who should know better give incorrect or incomplete information. I once heard DVC rooms described as "Shabby Chic." Keeping that in mind has really helped to manage my expectations.

Just a guess but if they didn't like the walk at BWV to rooms above Jelly Rolls I'm thinking they definitely wouldn't like the halls at Kidani. :laughing:
I know, right? I was on the end pod at Kidani, I was trying to close a deal on my house that ran over into my vacation. Had to keep going back to the front desk to sign papers and fax. After the 2nd run my brother started driving me. :rotfl2: Sounds insane, but wow those hallways are long.

As to the "country mile" from elevators to room, be aware that if you believe the walk to lobby at BWV can be extreme, you should probably avoid ever staying at AKV, where the walk to end rooms at Jambo is significantly longer and the walk to end rooms at Kidani are the longest for any hotel in the world (meaning on earth not just at Disney), more than 3X longer than BWV.

As already noted, with DVC you are not supposed to be able get such things as an air mattress, cot, or fans, so the fact that you were provided those at all is a bit amazing. As to towels, you can request extra sets but they charge a fee, except that on day 4 you get a free change. In your case, it appears they gave you the extra towels requested and counted that as your four day change rather than charging for the sets. As to TP, it sounds like they may have missed replenishment on day four,

the walk to end rooms at Kidani are the longest for any hotel in the world (meaning on earth not just at Disney), more than 3X longer than BWV.

I've had one hotel stay that I think might rival Kidani. Hyatt - St. Louis - Arches view.

I felt like I was in a Disney hotel with all the twists and turns and halls. AND, if you can believe it, that is the one and only time I've had someone else assigned to the same room as I. My only thought was what a cruel trick of the hotel staff to send someone all that way to a room already occupied. I got there first and definitely wasn't moving. :rolleyes: It felt like I was in a deserted hotel all to myself until I came out of the elevator in the lobby.

Last edited:
I had no idea you could request a fan. We bring a small 6-8 inch fan with us. We were dissapointed that the ceiling fans went away in various DVCs.

Long hallways, ,once we were a door or two away from the end. We looked at it as, "hey we go down the stairs, and we are only 5 mins from Hollywood Studios"

There's much I don't understand here, starting with not understanding how some issues with towels, extra fans (if no sound machine, at least a phone app), and cot could throw one off their trip. To each their own.

But I also don't understand why DVC members so easily accept low standards set by DVD that makes simple requests like OP's "above and beyond." I understand limited mousekeeping (higher costs), but requests for extra towels, cots, toilet paper, etc are so small to either be absorbed by DVC or inclusive in something like an additional one cent assessment to dues.

I think they got towels for 8 to start but they requested fresh towels and only got 4 more sent not 8,
They easily could have washed them in the wash them in the washer and dryer that were in the room. They even provide a box of soap. Box fans? I had no idea they had box fans. I sleep with a fan and we bring a small one with us. If I do not have it I use a white noise app on my phone. The air mattress, you are lucky they had one. They are usually left by guests. The cot you got afterwards was probably for the hotel side, not DVC side. Sounds like most of the issues were for stuff that DVC does not have to provide.

I think you made more requests in one stay than I've made it 18 years!

DVC is supposed to be a home away from home.

"If you need it, best bring it, if you bring it, you better be able to carry it." - DH

(Sorry, I'm a bit grumpy this morning. I really can't get over a request for three box fans. Your kids need a box fan to sleep?)

There's much I don't understand here, starting with not understanding how some issues with towels, extra fans (if no sound machine, at least a phone app), and cot could throw one off their trip. To each their own.

But I also don't understand why DVC members so easily accept low standards set by DVD that makes simple requests like OP's "above and beyond." I understand limited mousekeeping (higher costs), but requests for extra towels, cots, toilet paper, etc are so small to either be absorbed by DVC or inclusive in something like an additional one cent assessment to dues.
I'm not a DVC member but I know multiple ones personally in real life. None of them expect their stays to be like a hotel. One of the ones I know has an Owner's locker so they don't have to fly or try to ship things down every time and is filled with odd things here and there.

I wouldn't call it accepting low standards. I believe it's just part of the timeshare style industry and I don't say that in a way as to say "it is what it is". Just like a few other things that vary between a DVC stay (or even a VRBO style reservation outside of Disney) and a hotel stay.

I do think it's unfortunate the OP was led astray though. Can understand how that sours things.

from the DVC website:
Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities at no extra charge at the start of your stay and during each Housekeeping service. After that, you may purchase more amenities for the following fees (fees are subject to change):
  • Toiletries Package: $5 - includes 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
  • Coffee Package: $3 - includes 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
  • Towel Package: $6 - includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
  • 2 Bathrobes: $6
  • Laundry Detergent (only in 1-, 2- and 3-Bedroom Villas): $1 - includes 1 box for 1 load of laundry
NOTE: Rates are subject to change without notice.

They probably assumed you wanted 1 towel package.

Last edited:

Regardless of what Disney tells you it's evident that if you don't check with us first your information will be unreliable. It would be horribly unfair to the Disney company to expect them to train their workers/contractors so they would be able to provide guests with accurate information. That's just crazy!

By the way, I'm requesting a pig roast on my next trip! Just to see what they say... Based on your experiences, I bet they say "no problem"!

I'm not a DVC member but I know multiple ones personally in real life. None of them expect their stays to be like a hotel. One of the ones I know has an Owner's locker so they don't have to fly or try to ship things down every time and is filled with odd things here and there.

I wouldn't call it accepting low standards. I believe it's just part of the timeshare style industry and I don't say that in a way as to say "it is what it is". Just like a few other things that vary between a DVC stay (or even a VRBO style reservation outside of Disney) and a hotel stay.

I do think it's unfortunate the OP was led astray though. Can understand how that sours things.

Right, but one thing that makes Disney's system largely different is that the timeshare side is that most of the DVC resorts are directly attached to hotels that have the infrastructure and employees to carry out these simple requests.

My expectations and idea of "less" because it's "like home" was established by Disney itself. It's a cop out by Disney to be like other timeshares when Disney's history is to not be equal to the competition but *better than* the competition. The idea of Disney service being different whether in a DVC room or a hotel room is crazy, and it's compounded when the rooms are often literally under the same roof.

Right, but one thing that makes Disney's system largely different is that the timeshare side is that most of the DVC resorts are directly attached to hotels that have the infrastructure and employees to carry out these simple requests.

My expectations and idea of "less" because it's "like home" was established by Disney itself. It's a cop out by Disney to be like other timeshares when Disney's history is to not be equal to the competition but *better than* the competition. The idea of Disney service being different whether in a DVC room or a hotel room is crazy, and it's compounded when the rooms are often literally under the same roof.

When the conditions of the system were outlined it was with completely separate resorts. First it was only The Disney Vacation Club aka OKW then VB and HHI. Next came BWV which was connected but separate from BWI. But at the start they were not part of or even connected to the hotels. And, it is just a timeshare with various restrictions that make it different from a hotel. Many do forget that. If the costs of it keep getting added to then one might as well pay cash to the hotel side to stay onsite.

And, it is just a timeshare with various restrictions that make it different from a hotel. Many do forget that.
I think this is a good way of putting it.

Different products for different types of travelers. That doesn't have to be seen as a negative that it is set up differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!