Disappointing stay at BWV

The DVC Boards are the best way to find out more about DVC. Spend a little more time here and you'll get all the scoop on what's going on.

Which is why we are a tough crowd. You aren't the first - and won't be the last - person to post on this board disappointed because hotel like expectations weren't met and you got wrong answers about DVC stays from CMs. Spend some time here and in a few years you will also sigh aloud when someone posts that they can't get a room for points that is available on the CRO website, or that they didn't check in until "after 4."

If you plan on buying points at Riviera some day, there is a lot to learn about DVC and how DVC is totally different from hotels. Plus with Riviera being totally DCV like OKW and SSR, they might do a lot better on treating guests like DVC members, at least better than the DVC resorts attached to Disney hotels. Plus throw in the CP kids working housekeeping and the front desk who know nothing about how DVC works and you get problems like the OP's. You pay for everything at a DVC resort. It's a good idea to learn that before you buy your points.

DEFINITELY do not buy DVC for something it is not. Buy for what is contracted and nothing more. Don't assume that it will get better or that Disney pixie dust will be there to smooth over the problems.

One thing DVC owners see probably more than other Disney guests is Disney operating as a corporation - making bottom line decisions and having corporate reality affect us more directly than other guests (we immediately saw the impact of union negotiations for wage increases in our dues, after the mass shooting in Vegas, Disney started emptying trash every day in rooms as a security measure - whether you like it or not. When the valet parking contract was renegotiated our valet benefits disappeared literally overnight). Owning DVC is a good way to discover that pixie dust is really dollar store glitter.

Our trash was emptied daily. We didn't ask, it was just done. Each evening when we returned, the kitchen and bathroom trash bins were empty and new liners in.
Daily trash service was added when Disney decided to do security checks for each room each day--that was done late 2017/early 2018.

It's complicated but things were handled slightly different for DVC than for non-DVC rooms.

For DVC the daily trash service is in lieu of daily security checks. If you stay in one of Disney's normal rooms you'd get a daily security check OR you'd have your room serviced everyday (some people reported getting both but I haven't kept up on that).

Daily trash service was added when Disney decided to do security checks for each room each day--that was done late 2017/early 2018.

It's complicated but things were handled slightly different for DVC than for non-DVC rooms.

For DVC the daily trash service is in lieu of daily security checks. If you stay in one of Disney's normal rooms you'd get a daily security check OR you'd have your room serviced everyday (some people reported getting both but I haven't kept up on that).

Or to put it another way.....trash removal was added so that they could justify adding the expense to the maintnence fees for the room security checks that they were directed to do and wanted members to cover without a ton of out cry. :rolleyes:

The DVC Boards are the best way to find out more about DVC. Spend a little more time here and you'll get all the scoop on what's going on.

This is a very true and a good idea; before we first bought into DVC I spent over a year reading these boards to find out as much as I could on the subject so pretty much there were no surprises.

On our last trip I was reminded of something I read on these boards in the past and that is to take an inventory of what is in your room upon arrival so if you have to call for any missing items you can do it all at one time. On our last trip we didn't have any hangers or tee towels in the kitchen so I called housekeeping and very promptly received several hangers and two tee towels. Later I discovered I had no dish soap, I called and was told that I would be charged for the dish soap. I very quickly nixed that stating that as a DVC owner we are supposed to have dish soap in the room and by an oversite on the part of housekeeping no dish was placed in our room. The person on the other end backed down and shortly there after the needed soap was delivered.

We just got back from our first stay in a one bedroom at copper creek and I think we had 8 bath towels. Was something up with there only being 4 in the OP's two-bedroom?

We just got back from our first stay in a one bedroom at copper creek and I think we had 8 bath towels. Was something up with there only being 4 in the OP's two-bedroom?
Your housekeeper needs training. You should have gotten four when you arrived and four more on day four. He asked for more towels and they brought him a Towel Pack, four bath towels, two hand towels, four face cloths and one tub mat.

While I did request a room with a view other than the parking lot, I didn't realize it would be soooooooo far away!

Lol. The BW info post either here or on the Resorts side is/was literally partially named with “even the long hallways”.

Fans, cots, air mattress, extra towels are really not something we get with DVC.

Agreed

And I understand not providing bedding for a requested extra sleeping surface, but if you are within the room max why wouldnt there be bedding for that number?

There is bedding for the beds. Not the people. They don’t know how people want to sleep.

No, we were not trying to buy points.

It’s not a question about what you wanted to do, but about the person on the other end of the phone and their role.

So, I called the front desk

I knew that was going to be said.

FYI for now and forevermore, pressing that Front Desk button never gets you to the resorts front desk. Ever.

When we stopped at bell services that morning to ask if there was a cot, we were told yes

Bell services might not have clued in to you being Dvc. Sometimes people are odd their game. Many moons ago I was working at a restaurant/bar about an hour before closing. I was tired and just wiped out. I got to chatting woth customers, was trying to give them good service, and on request (because it was “missing”) brought them an ashtray. Alas...they were in the non smoking section. It wasn’t missing. It wasn’t supposed to be there. D’oh! Sometimes...employees aren’t firing on all cylinders.

I understand what many of you are saying about these things not being typical (now). But if the phone rep AND the front desk as well as bell services tells me I can in fact have a pig roast, I shouldn't be surprised when they don't bring it out?

Now you know to check here first. Disney just doesn’t like to say no, and I think they think we’ll just forget about stuff if they just obscure things.

But I also don't understand why DVC members so easily accept low standards set by DVD that makes simple requests like OP's "above and beyond." I understand limited mousekeeping (higher costs), but requests for extra towels, cots, toilet paper, etc are so small to either be absorbed by DVC or inclusive in something like an additional one cent assessment to dues.

I knew what I was buying when I bought Dvc.

Did you?

I don’t want another penny charged for things I won’t use.

Right, but one thing that makes Disney's system largely different is that the timeshare side is that most of the DVC resorts are directly attached to hotels that have the infrastructure and employees to carry out these simple requests.

My expectations and idea of "less" because it's "like home" was established by Disney itself. It's a cop out by Disney to be like other timeshares when Disney's history is to not be equal to the competition but *better than* the competition. The idea of Disney service being different whether in a DVC room or a hotel room is crazy, and it's compounded when the rooms are often literally under the same roof.

We are getting a discount on our stays. We have kitchens. We have a good deal going. Dvc is better than any other timeshare I’ve heard of. So...

One can't disagree that that is how the system was setup, but where it's reasonable to disagree is whether it was the best decision to be "just a timeshare" or whether DVC could have been something more.

They have Disney attached to them. You stand a good chance at getting a room when you book. (unlike RCI when my mom tried for as long as you’re able to try to get me a room in Ireland and was never able to do so) It *is* better than other timeshares; it’s not the same as the Disney hotels.

(Except for GFV, which is really amazing, and I have to remind myself when I’m not there that I’m not there lol.)

We didn't necessarily have a bad stay at the boardwalk villas but I wasn't a fan of some of the similar things mentioned. Long hallways, we didn't have an easy exit strategy to get out to the bus or boardwalk area with a stroller. The pool area also didn't blow me away compared to some of the other DVC resorts. We did it as a split stay with wilderness lodge. I love the boardwalk location but we enjoyed wilderness as a hotel more.

We didn't necessarily have a bad stay at the boardwalk villas but I wasn't a fan of some of the similar things mentioned. Long hallways, we didn't have an easy exit strategy to get out to the bus or boardwalk area with a stroller. The pool area also didn't blow me away compared to some of the other DVC resorts. We did it as a split stay with wilderness lodge. I love the boardwalk location but we enjoyed wilderness as a hotel more.

First I want to say that I love BW, it's my home resort and pretty much the only place my husband wants to stay. The location is great and we just like the whole vibe at BW.

That being said I do agree that the pool area could be improved upon especially in the kiddy area. For me and my husband the pool is fine but when I see some of the other pools and the kiddy areas I'm green with envy...WL has a really cool pool/play area for the little ones and now that we take our grandchildren I really wish BW had a better area too. I guess it's probably the one thing I would change about BW...JMHO.

We wash our towels. I pack an unopened package of laundry pods and a zip bag of dryer sheets in our checked luggage. DVC is clear that they don't do daily cleaning or replace towels. It takes 5 minutes a day no big deal. Sleeping arrangements need to be thought through when deciding on villa size. I try to think through all that we might need and either bring it, pick it up locally, ship it or order it. I expect DVC to provide a clean villa in the size and category I reserved.

Do they provide bedding for a pullout couch or Murphy bed?
All the beds provided by Disney have bedding. Usually the sleeper sofa or murphy bed is already made up when you arrive. If it isn't, the bedding should be in the closet or in the coffee table in a zipper bag. If you need to bring your own air bed because you have someone who doesn't want to share a bed or DVC allows a fifth person in the room but doesn't provide the bed, you need to bring your own bedding as well.

All the beds provided by Disney have bedding. Usually the sleeper sofa or murphy bed is already made up when you arrive. If it isn't, the bedding should be in the closet or in the coffee table in a zipper bag. If you need to bring your own air bed because you have someone who doesn't want to share a bed or DVC allows a fifth person in the room but doesn't provide the bed, you need to bring your own bedding as well.

I see! Thanks!

We also had a disappointing stay at BWV. 2 bedroom lock off, 3007 & 3009. Sounds like we were 1 floor below you. We used those back stairs, I didn't have a problem with the location. Our issues were : we were never able to access our room through the 1 bedroom, so every time we had to enter through the studio. Engineering visited twice, runners twice, and we made 3 trips to the lobby. No magic bands worked, no key cards ( they tried 2 sets), no phones. A CM was able to get in once so we could open the adjoining door, but that was it. Also, there was what appeared to be a urine stain on my daughters sheets. Housekeeping did come and change it, but still it was gross. Trying washing towels, but they took over2 hours to dry. Hole in the rug in the bedroom too.We're doing a split stay and are now at Beach Club. 100% better! I did send an email to the GM at Boardwalk.

It's a shame because I love that whole boardwalk area and the entertainment at night. But I agree, I would rather stay at Yacht or Beach Club and just walk over (nicer pool area too).

We also had a disappointing stay at BWV. 2 bedroom lock off, 3007 & 3009. Sounds like we were 1 floor below you. We used those back stairs, I didn't have a problem with the location. Our issues were : we were never able to access our room through the 1 bedroom, so every time we had to enter through the studio. Engineering visited twice, runners twice, and we made 3 trips to the lobby. No magic bands worked, no key cards ( they tried 2 sets), no phones. A CM was able to get in once so we could open the adjoining door, but that was it. Also, there was what appeared to be a urine stain on my daughters sheets. Housekeeping did come and change it, but still it was gross. Trying washing towels, but they took over2 hours to dry. Hole in the rug in the bedroom too.We're doing a split stay and are now at Beach Club. 100% better! I did send an email to the GM at Boardwalk.
sounds like your yearly maintenance dues we're well spent. So sorry for all the trouble. Oh to people that love DVC ...any comments? Does she deserve a refund of her maintenance dues and the points she spent.... The answer is yes. The sheets are you kidding me. Sloppy service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter