DAS for 2 children

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about a single mom with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. They wait in line, the 4 year old decides not to ride, the 6 year old also has to exit the line. Life isn't fair. Sometimes you can't do things when you want to do them due to the circumstances in your family. Disney doesn't have to make extra exceptions for that, nor should someone go in expecting it.
The difference here is that the 5 year old doesn't get to go ahead and ride while telling the six year old to suck it up. Not asking for extra exceptions just an even playing field. Usually if you wait in line the CM can't decide whether or not you can ride. The DAS system is supposed to be a queue so if you wait in line you should be able to ride. That's all. I get some people cheat the system. Yep there cheaters and thieves everywhere. They don't make everyone go through more and more hoops to ride. Disney changed it to attach this to magic bands they should have changed it to allow families with multiple DAS holders to ride or it is not actually an accommodation. Not really trying to debate this - just trying to figure out how they can use DAS without cheating the six year old out of being able to enjoy the park like anyone else.. I got it figured out though.

Last edited:
I was more trying to say they couldn't have multiple return times. Now the none DAS holder can only have 1 return time. Before you could be the companion of every DAS holder in your group and even DAS holders could be companions of other DAS holders. Now you can only have 1 return time even if you are a companion to several parties.
It would work to have one return time no matter which rider goes on...if they are all connected anyway.

The difference here is that the 5 year old doesn't get to go ahead and ride while telling the six year old to suck it up. Not asking for extra exceptions just an even playing field. Usually if you wait in line the CM can't decide whether or not you can ride. The DAS system is supposed to be a queue so if you wait in line you should be able to ride. That's all. I get some people cheat the system. Yep there cheaters and thieves everywhere. They don't make everyone go through more and more hoops to ride. Disney changed it to attach this to magic bands they should have changed it to allow families with multiple DAS holders to ride or it is not actually an accommodation.
In my example no one sucks it up and rides either. Both children wait and exit because one decides not to ride. That's life with siblings. And yes, the CM can decide that someone doesn't ride. They could recheck height just before boarding or ask a child's age and not allow a seating configuration. Waiting for a return time and then having someone decide not to ride is an even playing field because it could happen to anyone.

It would work to have one return time no matter which rider goes on...if they are all connected anyway.

Multiple DAS gets tricky. Like I said earlier your best option will be to speak to the CM at the attraction entrance. If you have the same return time and they were both DAS and you explain that you are a family and all on the same group then hopefully they are a good CM who will understand the situation and see that your family is not trying to game the system. CMs are able to override and let anyone through so a quick explanation should suffice.

The companions are attached to a single DAS holder's return time. When getting a time, the CM will ask who will be riding with them and attach that name to that DAS. As others explained if the DAS holder decides to not ride, the companions can not ride. The best approach for the family since they know their children best is attach the companions to the DAS holder they believe will actually ride.

Your grouping/switching out theory would open the DAS to all kinds of abuse and we would be right back where we started with the GAC mess. Everyone would want it if this were allowed. The current system works well. It provides access without excess. What you are proposing would be more in line with excess.

Key here is making your FP+ reservations for things the non-DAS child wants to do to insure they get on those rides quickly. Arrive at rope drop for shorter lines (even if one parent goes early with this child) and utilize EMH if they are staying on site. Utilize the MDE app for wait times so they can find those attractions where the kids don't have long waits.

I understand you feel it's mean ..... my children were often told they could not do something they wanted to do because their brother could not do it. So we made our decisions based on what everyone could do when we were together. Or we would go together but take time to split so one parent could take kids in different directions for different needs. Many times Dad stays at hotel with DS so they can swim and relax, I take the siblings to the parks so we can go at their pace. And the siblings got special trips/events just for them with one parent while brother stayed home with other parent at other times. Not mean, it's the life we live and we make it work the best we can.
I do agree that it is made difficult so people won't want it. Is it really excess that if you wait the proper amount of time - same time as everyone else - that you get to ride? And I am not saying that if no DAS user goes on that you should be able to ride with a return time because that would indeed open it to abuse. But if everyone is linked in the system the CM can see who is involved. The cm can see there are multiple DAS users right and they can see you have a return time. So why can't there be a set policy on how to handle it rather than it be pixie dust that if your brother and sister both have a return time and you have that return time - your single time - that you can walk on with either DAS holder. I mean they can see in the system right that Apple, Banana, and Orange are all connected. They can see that all 3 have a 12:00 return time so what difference does it make whether Apple walks on with banana or orange? Apple can't have a second return time. This is no abuse and it sounds like all this info is right on the iPad to be seen.

The accommodation is set up for the needs of the disabled. There's just no way to accommodate every single situation with every other party member that might pop up.

If the needs of the user are being met, it's doing it's job. Sometimes it stinks for other people.
Thank you for this answer. You are right - it is set up so that only the person with a DAS is guaranteed to ride if they have waited for the return time.

Thank you for this answer. You are right - it is set up so that only the person with a DAS is guaranteed to ride if they have waited for the return time.

Which when you write it like that and not as a story with people and situations makes sense. Those that don't have a DAS could have ridden the normal way by standing in the physical line or using FP. Its impossible to make a system that would work for everyone in every situation without either making it

1) Very up to the CMs by empowering them to determine if a request is reasonable. The problem with this is that different CMs will have a different reasonable and you wouldn't know if something will truely be ok until you try to do it.
2) Making the system to open and anything goes that everyone wants one and cheats in whatever way they can to get one.

I do agree that it is made difficult so people won't want it. Is it really excess that if you wait the proper amount of time - same time as everyone else - that you get to ride? And I am not saying that if no DAS user goes on that you should be able to ride with a return time because that would indeed open it to abuse. But if everyone is linked in the system the CM can see who is involved. The cm can see there are multiple DAS users right and they can see you have a return time. So why can't there be a set policy on how to handle it rather than it be pixie dust that if your brother and sister both have a return time and you have that return time - your single time - that you can walk on with either DAS holder. I mean they can see in the system right that Apple, Banana, and Orange are all connected. They can see that all 3 have a 12:00 return time so what difference does it make whether Apple walks on with banana or orange? Apple can't have a second return time. This is no abuse and it sounds like all this info is right on the iPad to be seen.
If the whole family has return times for the same attraction, and one decides not to ride, then the non-DAS holding sibling would have a return time for that attraction which would show when they try to scan their band/ticket. In that situation, I would hope that a CM would let them pass with an explanation. But in the other situation, where one DAS holder and that sibling has a return time for attraction A, and the other DAS holder has one for attraction B, if the attraction A DAS holder changes their mind, I would not expect the attraction A return to be accepted on attraction B. Again, you could ask for an exception, but that is asking a lot. You select the attraction before you wait, not wait and then select the attraction. Even if the reason is a sibling decided not to ride, theme parks don't work where someone waits for attraction A and switches to ride attraction B at the last second.

Actually I just thought of a way this could work... at least depending on the children.

Would the DAS holder that isn't wanting to ride be ok with going through the line with everyone?
If so why not just have everyone walk through the line then tell the CMs at loading they don't want to ride and Mom and non rider kid leaves then.

Would think work? This way everyone is past the scanning bands part of the line anyway. Family stays together longer, and if the ride line has cool stuff mom gets to see that too.

What about a single mom with a 4 year old and a 6 year old. They wait in line, the 4 year old decides not to ride, the 6 year old also has to exit the line. Life isn't fair. Sometimes you can't do things when you want to do them due to the circumstances in your family. Disney doesn't have to make extra exceptions for that, nor should someone go in expecting it.

The difference here is that the 5 year old doesn't get to go ahead and ride while telling the six year old to suck it up. Not asking for extra exceptions just an even playing field. Usually if you wait in line the CM can't decide whether or not you can ride. The DAS system is supposed to be a queue so if you wait in line you should be able to ride. That's all. I get some people cheat the system. Yep there cheaters and thieves everywhere. They don't make everyone go through more and more hoops to ride. Disney changed it to attach this to magic bands they should have changed it to allow families with multiple DAS holders to ride or it is not actually an accommodation. Not really trying to debate this - just trying to figure out how they can use DAS without cheating the six year old out of being able to enjoy the park like anyone else.. I got it figured out though.

Actually they are the same exact example but the single Mom actually got the shorter stick. Her family waited IN the queue line all that time and still didn't get to ride. Your family waited OUTSIDE the queue line able to go on shorter rides, meet characters, have a meal, go to the bathroom, shop or even just sit somewhere cool and quiet. Both waited the same time, both missed out on the ride and yet your family was able to do much more.

And the bolded above you answered your own question. The DAS is for the DAS holder, not the "six year old" and therefore there is no keeping them from enjoying the park like everyone else. Like everyone else they need to utilize all the tools aka rope drop, FP+, EMH, splitting up parents etc.

In your specific case the system can probably work, you just have to work with the CM and hopefully they are willing to make it work but you will have to have the non-riding DAS holder go to the attraction entrance or the non-rider just goes through the line and leaves via the chicken exit. The CM can not see where there are multiple DAS users together. In your example - no they can not see the apple, banana and orange. Those iPads show what is there for the person that scanned no other. Up will pop their photo and first name etc. Both kids must show up to the attraction so both can be scanned and verified, then explain your case.

I still would hate to see any kind of grouping or linking of DAS. As soon as I read your idea it only took me about 30 seconds to figure out how to game that system and it would for others too. The more flexibility you build into a system the more loop holes that folks will find.

The CM can not see where there are multiple DAS users together. In your example - no they can not see the apple, banana and orange. Those iPads show what is there for the person that scanned no other. Up will pop their photo and first name etc. Both kids must show up to the attraction so both can be scanned and verified, then explain your case.

I still would hate to see any kind of grouping or linking of DAS. As soon as I read your idea it only took me about 30 seconds to figure out how to game that system and it would for others too. The more flexibility you build into a system the more loop holes that folks will find.

If they cannot see all the people linked to the DAS then how do they assign on each magic band a return time? I think you are mistaken.

Actually I just thought of a way this could work... at least depending on the children.

Would the DAS holder that isn't wanting to ride be ok with going through the line with everyone?
If so why not just have everyone walk through the line then tell the CMs at loading they don't want to ride and Mom and non rider kid leaves then.

Would think work? This way everyone is past the scanning bands part of the line anyway. Family stays together longer, and if the ride line has cool stuff mom gets to see that too.
Good suggestions, thanks for trying, but if that was the case they wouldn't need a DAS. :)

Good suggestions, thanks for trying, but if that was the case they wouldn't need a DAS. :)

Well the DAS isn't a skip to the front so the previous person is saying would the non-rider be okay having to stand in the fastpass line?

To those familiar with DAS do they check them at the second FP reader or only the first? If that is the case the none rider could just go scan and as soon as they are out of range of the CM turn around and exit the line. Then the neice linked with the non-rider would just tap at the 2nd point and no one would be the wiser.

At the end of the day, this is how the system works. Again, examples given on how this situation can crop up with differing family su situations. It just is what it is.

The family could always and ask and explain, but I'd go in expecting the answer to be no and plan accordingly. I just don't think there's a way in the system to add someone to an already passed wait time.

Just planning, FP use, and utilizing some down time to take the other child through regular lines and get on some of those rides is most likely what's going to need to happen.

Well the DAS isn't a skip to the front so the previous person is saying would the non-rider be okay having to stand in the fastpass line?

To those familiar with DAS do they check them at the second FP reader or only the first? If that is the case the none rider could just go scan and as soon as they are out of range of the CM turn around and exit the line. Then the neice linked with the non-rider would just tap at the 2nd point and no one would be the wiser.

They scan both. DAS user has to scan first at the first scanner.

They scan both. DAS user has to scan first at the first scanner.

Does it matter though what order they scan at the 2nd one though? I know they scan at both but if it doesn't matter who scans or if the DAS holder even scans at the 2nd one then they can juts exit the FP line after barely waiting. The CM at FP kiosk 1 probably wouldn't even remember the family and just imagines they are exiting because they changed their minds. I know I've seen CMs at the 2nd pole not even pay attention to the screen on the iPad there.

If they cannot see all the people linked to the DAS then how do they assign on each magic band a return time? I think you are mistaken.

When they assign a return-time, the CM can see a list of others attached to that DAS-holder's band. They do not see the other DAS-holder or the people attached to the other band. I don't believe they can see that any companion is attached to multiple DAS (unless already assigned to a return time). Each DAS-holder's band or ticket must be scanned individually.

I do think that most likely if the scenario arises that one child backs out of the ride, as long as the family approaches the FP+ entrance to ride and explains the situation, then the CM is going to be understanding. Nobody here on the DISboards can guarantee this, though. And considering most people report using the DAS just 1-3 times per day, it's not likely to be a big issue for the family. It is best to be prepared with a plan B. The family may need to split at times to give the 6-yr-old a chance to do rides without the other two.

Enjoy your vacation!

We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions and ideas. I'll pass on all the information.

No, not a skip to the front of the line, but if the child can't go...he/she isn't going to then be able to go in the line see. It's okay. They will work it out.

No, not a skip to the front of the line, but if the child can't go...he/she isn't going to then be able to go in the line see. It's okay. They will work it out.
Yeah I wasn't sure about that since I didn't know why they needed a DAS or anything about the kids. I just know I definitely have gone through lines for rides with friends that there is no way I would ride. I don't like roller coasters, however the time spent chatting with friends in line was much more fun then sitting alone while friends were in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter