DAS for 2 children

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they cannot see all the people linked to the DAS then how do they assign on each magic band a return time? I think you are mistaken.

When you go to get a time they scan your MB on to a mobile device and they see a list. They tap each name that is being attached to that DAS time. The system then has those names attached to that DAS holder/time so those MagicBands or Tickets will work later.

You are talking about having an issue when you are returning to ride, not when you are getting a time.

When you return DAS holder scans first at the FP scanner, they have a screen in the podium, they look at the photo, then up at my DAS holder to verify, often they call my DS by name and then they verify how many guests are with us to match what they see. They allow him through first then the system lets the number of attached guests through.

Again, you could possibly explain to the CM first, maybe they involve the CM with the mobile device handing out times. It will be up to the CM how to handle. No one can tell you how it will work out only how the system is set up to work.

All of us with family members with special situations go with Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that since I didn't know why they needed a DAS or anything about the kids. I just know I definitely have gone through lines for rides with friends that there is no way I would ride. I don't like roller coasters, however the time spent chatting with friends in line was much more fun then sitting alone while friends were in line.
I agree - I don't dislike lines myself. I like talking to my family while we wait and watching people. I think the line builds up excitement.

When you go to get a time they scan your MB on to a mobile device and they see a list. They tap each name that is being attached to that DAS time. The system then has those names attached to that DAS holder/time so those MagicBands or Tickets will work later.

You are talking about having an issue when you are returning to ride, not when you are getting a time.

When you return DAS holder scans first at the FP scanner, they have a screen in the podium, they look at the photo, then up at my DAS holder to verify, often they call my DS by name and then they verify how many guests are with us to match what they see. They allow him through first then the system lets the number of attached guests through.

Again, you could possibly explain to the CM first, maybe they involve the CM with the mobile device handing out times. It will be up to the CM how to handle. No one can tell you how it will work out only how the system is set up to work.

All of us with family members with special situations go with Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.
There's where the confusion is - at the beginning they see the people. Well, I still don't see why they couldn't just attach all the names to the same ride time, but maybe in the future.

There's where the confusion is - at the beginning they see the people. Well, I still don't see why they couldn't just attach all the names to the same ride time, but maybe in the future.

They can attach all of the names except for the other DAS holder. That might be the best thing to do when everyone wants to ride the same ride...get a return time on each DAS, but attach everyone to the DAS holder that is most likely going to ride. Not perfect, but if you know which child is most likely to change his or her mind, that would be the best way to go.

Does it matter though what order they scan at the 2nd one though? I know they scan at both but if it doesn't matter who scans or if the DAS holder even scans at the 2nd one then they can juts exit the FP line after barely waiting. The CM at FP kiosk 1 probably wouldn't even remember the family and just imagines they are exiting because they changed their minds. I know I've seen CMs at the 2nd pole not even pay attention to the screen on the iPad there.

I don't think so. I think it's just the first scanner that needs to be specific.

I don't understand why having a person attached to more than one DAS means abuse if each person can only be linked to one return time at any given time regardless of how many DAS links.

Here's my situation. I'm not sure what we should do.
My 17yo is autistic. We've gotten a DAS for her in the past and it's worked well for the times we actually need to use it.
My 5yo's anxiety in crowds is getting significantly worse to the point where this summer we had to leave places we visited due to panic attacks due to crowds in confined spaces (we could walk around outside except extremely congested areas but couldn't inside). A DAS would be the exact accomodation she needs so she can be in less crowded areas while waiting.
We split up on occasion. Sometimes I go with DD17 and DH goes with DD15. Other times it's the opposite. Who should be attached to which DAS? Or do we just get one and tell one of the kids she's SOL?

I don't understand why having a person attached to more than one DAS means abuse if each person can only be linked to one return time at any given time regardless of how many DAS links.

My 17yo is autistic. We've gotten a DAS for her in the past and it's worked well for the times we actually need to use it.
My 5yo's anxiety in crowds is getting significantly worse to the point where this summer we had to leave places we visited due to panic attacks due to crowds in confined spaces (we could walk around outside except extremely congested areas but couldn't inside). A DAS would be the exact accomodation she needs so she can be in less crowded areas while waiting.
We split up on occasion. Sometimes I go with DD17 and DH goes with DD15. Other times it's the opposite. Who should be attached to which DAS? Or do we just get one and tell one of the kids she's SOL?
You're not limited in being attached to a single DAS. You're limited in having a single active return time. If you and your husband decide to switch who rides with which daughter after you've gotten the return times, switch bands.

If you have two DAS, one for 15 yo and one for 17 yo, you and your husband can both be attached to each DAS, but you can't have two return times at a time. You can still be flexible about who rides with whom.

When you get the DAS, you can have the whole party "attached" -- you'll need to bring the MB/tickets for each. Any member of your party who is not getting a DAS can be attached to both girl's cards (well, no card anymore). Then when you get a DAS return-time at a ride, you'll be asked "who's riding?" at which point you can name any or all of your party.

The current system prevents abuse because it restricts each guest to only 1 return time on their MB. It's not whether or not you can be attached to more than one DAS, that is fine. In OP's situation she wanted her niece to have a return-time on each DAS, just in case 1 child decides not to ride (which would cancel that DAS return-time); the abuse potential would be if multiple return times were allowed at once because a guest is attached to more than one DAS. Your situation is different in that you want your party to split up, sometimes switching which parent is with which child. No problem.

Enjoy your vacation!

You can be attached to both you just can't have a return time under DD17 and younger DD. When you go to get a return time they will ask who wants to ride this ride and who wants to ride that one.

The OPs problem is that both DAS holders have a return time for the same actraction and DAS #1 holder descides not to ride anymore. So after waiting the same time anyone who was attached to DAS #1 return now can't go with DAS #2 and their return party. We've all suggested since it is an unusual situation to talk to a CM and explain everyone had the same time for the same ride but unfortunately the DAS holder they got their return time under has chosen not to ride even they have another DAS holder with the same return time.

The new termonology does get a tiny bit confussing.

It really does!

I can see that the system would work really well for the two that need to split up!

In OP's situation she wanted her niece to have a return-time on each DAS, just in case 1 child decides not to ride (which would cancel that DAS return-time); the abuse potential would be if multiple return times were allowed at once because a guest is attached to more than one DAS. !
It isn't exactly that I wanted her to be able to have 2 return times though I see how that would end up being the case. I just thought maybe all the riders could be connected under one return time (both DAS holders). But at this point they can't make it a group return time. :) I'm pretty sure though that a CM would be understanding if it comes up. Hopefully, going at low crowd rope drop times will alleviate any difficulty there and they'll barely need the DAS.

One question about that actually - even if there is a low wait time, will they let the DAS holder walk through the FP+ line? My nephew is terrified of the cave like atmosphere at his two favorite rides (Ariel and Finding Nemo).

It really does!

I can see that the system would work really well for the two that need to split up!

It isn't exactly that I wanted her to be able to have 2 return times though I see how that would end up being the case. I just thought maybe all the riders could be connected under one return time (both DAS holders). But at this point they can't make it a group return time. :) I'm pretty sure though that a CM would be understanding if it comes up. Hopefully, going at low crowd rope drop times will alleviate any difficulty there and they'll barely need the DAS.

One question about that actually - even if there is a low wait time, will they let the DAS holder walk through the FP+ line? My nephew is terrified of the cave like atmosphere at his two favorite rides (Ariel and Finding Nemo).

Yes they will. As long as they don't have another return time and the posted is under a certain time they will
let you through the FP line.

Yes they will. As long as they don't have another return time and the posted is under a certain time they will
let you through the FP line.

It depends on the CM - they can also send you through the standby line if the wait is less than 10 minutes.

I think (and this may not work for you) that how I would do it is to book DAS returns under the child most likely to go as much as possible. It sounds like that's the young lady, so I'd book all DAS under her band as a default UNLESS a situation pops up where her brother wants to ride something else while she's on her pick.

So for example...

Space Mountain (she's a yes, he's a maybe) - Book everyone under her. If he backs out, he and 1 caregiver just don't go.
Splash Mountain (she's a yes, he's a "there is no way on God's green earth") Book everyone except him and a caregiver on Splash, book him and the caregiver on Peter Pan.

I think (and this may not work for you) that how I would do it is to book DAS returns under the child most likely to go as much as possible. It sounds like that's the young lady, so I'd book all DAS under her band as a default UNLESS a situation pops up where her brother wants to ride something else while she's on her pick.

So for example...

Space Mountain (she's a yes, he's a maybe) - Book everyone under her. If he backs out, he and 1 caregiver just don't go.
Splash Mountain (she's a yes, he's a "there is no way on God's green earth") Book everyone except him and a caregiver on Splash, book him and the caregiver on Peter Pan.
I think that will be the best solution. They haven't been since the GAC and then they thought they had a handle on how the DAS was going to work but that changed. Hopefully their Christmas trip will work out for them (early Dec) and by next year's big family trip they'll be pros.

ney changed it to attach this to magic bands they should have changed it to allow families with multiple DAS holders to ride or it is not actually an accommodation.

The accommodation is for the guest with the disability, though, not for the whole party.

The accommodation is for the guest with the disability, though, not for the whole party.
An accommodation is supposed to help the disabled guest experience the parks like any other guest.. if the only way to do so would be splitting up all day and never experiencing the rides together as a family it wouldn't really be much of an accommodation at all. We'll just have to disagree on this.

An accommodation is supposed to help the disabled guest experience the parks like any other guest.. if the only way to do so would be splitting up all day and never experiencing the rides together as a family it wouldn't really be much of an accommodation at all. We'll just have to disagree on this.

Since it's been established that your family won't have to split up while using the DAS, it doesn't seem that will be an issue.

However, the point of an accommodation is to provide equal access, not equal experience. And as plenty of families that don't include a disabled member split up during the day for any number of reasons, it isn't really valid to say that if a family has to split up, they aren't enjoying the park like other families.

Additionally, there is no requirement in the ADA that all members of a party accompany or receive the same accommodation as the disabled person. In fact in some cases, it clearly states that only one companion has to be permitted to accompany the disabled person as part of the accommodation. Though Disney hasn't chosen to do so, and I hope they don't, I believe they would be well within the law to allow only one companion to accompany the DAS holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter