Cranium Command's Buzzy has been stolen

Seems to be additional conflicting reports around claiming Buzzy is still missing or that Disney has identified a private buyer in possession of him. Still no real confirmation of anything though.
I don’t see Disney commenting on this matter publicly.

I have to admit, I was crushed when they closed WoL. Cranium Command was fantastic, Body Wars was good for its time. Yes, the whole pavilion aged before it closed. Too much of Disney ages before it gets attention. But an updated WoL with an Inside Out theme would have actually been IP in EPCOT I'd support. Body Wars needed attention even before it closed. But it SHOULD have been done.

EPCOT crumbled under Disney's desire to have someone else pay for their amusement park. A flawed model that has cost them 20+ years. Like so much else, Disney hasn't had to suffer for it. Someday they will if they don't get their act together. Fortunately it seems like they are finally moving the right way. Bringing WoL back to life, or something else in that spot, is a necessity to make that side of EPCOT relevant and not just a coaster stop for GotG.

I highly doubt the hydraulic lines were actually pressurized, probably just had fluid in them. First, I really doubt Disney would be running a hydraulic pump for no reason on a non-operating ride. Second, if they were pressurized they would've easily caught how did it because he probably would've left in an ambulance. Pressurized hydraulic fluid coming out of a pierced line can literally cut your arm off. I've seen stories of pinhole leaks going straight through people's hands.

I'd be interested to know what tools he used, you can't cut through a hydraulic hose with a box blade. If I remember the video right, I think there were tools left in that area, so I wonder if they just used Disney's tools.

I highly doubt the hydraulic lines were actually pressurized, probably just had fluid in them. First, I really doubt Disney would be running a hydraulic pump for no reason on a non-operating ride. Second, if they were pressurized they would've easily caught how did it because he probably would've left in an ambulance. Pressurized hydraulic fluid coming out of a pierced line can literally cut your arm off. I've seen stories of pinhole leaks going straight through people's hands.

I doubt animatronics need hydraulics that work at that pressure.

I just can't get behind this story. In addition to the unlikely logistics, all of the Disney fan Twitter accounts involved in breaking this story seem to be on a first name basis with one another, while basically nobody else has ever heard of them. They have spent three days creating hashtags, retweeting each other, and continuing to create buzz (no pun intended) in what I think is more a bid for followers than anything else.

I will add that evidence that Buzzy is currently missing from his former location is not proof that he was stolen.

It certainly could be true, but these days I err very heavily on the side of caution when it comes to unsubstantiated news/rumors of any kind :)

Here's what Buzzy looked like when he was taken

buzzy_reresized.jpg

and this is what he looks like after some age progression. Liam Neeson is being contacted by Disney to help in the search.

buzzy_reresized.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt animatronics need hydraulics that work at that pressure.
The lowest hydraulic pressure I've ever seen on a system is 1000 psi, which will still go right through your skin. The whole point of hydraulics is power density, the higher the pressure the smaller the lines and smaller the actuators. Considering the small space inside an animatronic, I'd think they'd like higher pressure so they could use smaller/quicker actuators.

Either way, no way they left the pump running for months for no reason.

Yea something of that nature would get one in big trouble. Seems like a serious risk to try to time security and get lucky.

They don't search strollers that much and a Li-on battery powered rotary tool is fairly small, relatively quiet, and would make quick work of the cutting. Just wrap Buzzy in a moving blanket and strap to a hand truck, roll to an awaiting vehicle backstage, as no one would think twice about the guy backstage in a delivery uniform moving something. Paying off someone that regularly delivers backstage would be far easier than trying to use a stroller. I use to get into events via the loading dock by wearing a chef jacket back in my youth.

Last edited:
Amused by the back and forth about this being a good/bad attraction. Personally, I loved Fuzzy.
Wait a minute -- wasn't "Fuzzy" the victim -- ummh, test subject -- in the ExtraTerrorestial Alien Encounter pre-show?

Yeah, the way those wires/lines are cut, doesn't look like he was removed by a professional. Maybe if they were demolishing the show they would cut through the cables/lines like that and just use the figure for scrap parts but nothing else in the show building has come down. Very fishy...

Yeah, the way those wires/lines are cut, doesn't look like he was removed by a professional. Maybe if they were demolishing the show they would cut through the cables/lines like that and just use the figure for scrap parts but nothing else in the show building has come down. Very fishy...

If Disney had no plans to make the figure operational again, then the cuts wouldn't the that strange. No reason to pay for the time to do careful disconnection if you don't need to.

I think he was removed. So if they wanted to store him in archival I believe they would still cut him loose like they did. Why take the time to remove it cleaner. I would think the building is going so no need to do a clean job in building. Second he would be cleaned up for storage wherever. just my opinion.

I thought Cranium Command was a very enjoyable show. Sure, it would feel a bit dated today with characters only familiar to people in the 80's, but the concept was good and could be updated for today's audiences.

In fact, most people I've talked to thought that was the best attraction in the Wonders of Life pavilion and were most sad when it closed. Body Wars and the other minor attractions didn't get nearly as much love (though Body Wars had other issues)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter