CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDITED: As I mentioned a few days ago, we were supposed to go to Aulani because Hawaii is my FIL's dream, but my MIL and DH told me they'd rather do a cruise. My MIL is also dreaming of visiting Stanley Park in Vancouver because her father was very passionate about it... And here I am, trying to find a way to make everyone happy when we can't be out of the city for more than 8 nights total (not negociable).

I did some research and have found some interesting Holland America cruises... Which gave us some options. In the end, we had a family meeting about it and everybody was super enthusiactic --that's an understatement-- for this one:

A short Hawaii stay (3 nights) with a short 3 or 4 nights Coastal Cruise, departing from California and going to Vancouver (including a stop in Astoria or Victoria) ... Which should spare us a little bit of jet lag on our way back.

Oh, and the Port of Vancouver is super close to Stanley Park so my MIL is ecstatic.

As for the cruise line I mean... Holland seems nice enough! I think we could appreciate it!

Last edited:
We are onboard the Carnival Conquest! I just have to say this was the easiest boarding I’ve ever had. Sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and the Harmony of the Seas is here too. I am not kidding, from the time we got off the hotel shuttle to walking into the atrium...it took 7 minutes. Rooms are ready at 1:30 and we are enjoying our Cheers package in the Sports Bar so DH can watch the Syracuse game. Ship is really pretty! Will review/answer any questions upon our return!!

We are onboard the Carnival Conquest! I just have to say this was the easiest boarding I’ve ever had. Sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and the Harmony of the Seas is here too. I am not kidding, from the time we got off the hotel shuttle to walking into the atrium...it took 7 minutes. Rooms are ready at 1:30 and we are enjoying our Cheers package in the Sports Bar so DH can watch the Syracuse game. Ship is really pretty! Will review/answer any questions upon our return!!

Have a great trip! Glad the boarding process went so easily for you. Enjoy the Cheers package, I am looking forward to doing the same when I cruise again next summer.

I love the Conquest!! Have a great trip.

Awesome! I hope you get nice weather and get to visit all the planned stops. :)

Does anybody know if Carnival (or any other cruise lines than Holland) does short 3 or 4 nights cruises departing from California and going to Vancouver?

Does anybody know if Carnival (or any other cruise lines than Holland) does short 3 or 4 nights cruises departing from California and going to Vancouver?

I did a search using Cruise Critic's search function for Pacific Coastal cruises of 3-5 days length. It came up with several options from HAL, Princess and Cunard. I didn't see anyone else. Adding longer cruises (6-9 days), gives you a bunch more options - adding NCL, Celebrity, Seabourn, and Crystal.

Princess does 3 to 5 night cruises from LA to Vancouver April to May. HAL does a couple from San Diego to Vancouver as well.

3 night May 5, 2019 San Francisco, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Volendam
3 night Mar 26, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Emerald Princess
4 night Apr 29, 2019 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Eurodam
4 night Apr 30, 2019 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Oosterdam
3 night May 4, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Golden Princess
3 night May 4, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Golden Princess
3 night May 5, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Coral Princess
5 night May 5, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Ruby Princess
3 night May 9, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Star Princess

4 night Apr 28, 2020 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Koningsdam
4 night May 5, 2020 San Francisco, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Grand Princess
3 night May 10, 2020 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Coral Princess
3 night May 14, 2020 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Emerald Princess

I did a search using Cruise Critic's search function for Pacific Coastal cruises of 3-5 days length. It came up with several options from HAL, Princess and Cunard. I didn't see anyone else. Adding longer cruises (6-9 days), gives you a bunch more options - adding NCL, Celebrity, Seabourn, and Crystal.

Yeah, I have suggested that wild card (the longer cruise) without success.

Sounds like it's going to be HAL. Unless they develop a sudden interest for LA, which would be surprising.

San Francisco and San Diego both sound so different, yet both amazing. Not sure which town we will be departing from yet...

Princess does 3 to 5 night cruises from LA to Vancouver April to May. HAL does a couple from San Diego to Vancouver as well.

3 night May 5, 2019 San Francisco, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Volendam
3 night Mar 26, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Emerald Princess
4 night Apr 29, 2019 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Eurodam
4 night Apr 30, 2019 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Oosterdam
3 night May 5, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Coral Princess
5 night May 5, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Ruby Princess
3 night May 9, 2019 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Star Princess

4 night Apr 28, 2020 San Diego, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Holland America / Koningsdam
4 night May 5, 2020 San Francisco, CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Grand Princess
3 night May 10, 2020 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Coral Princess
3 night May 14, 2020 Los Angeles (San Pedro), CA Vancouver, BC, Canada Princess / Emerald Princess

It would most likely be Mid-April or Early June 2020.

I would love to try Princess but I heard LA was really ghetto compared to San Francisco and San Diego so I have a feeling we will going for Holland because of that.

It would most likely be Mid-April or Early June 2020.

I would love to try Princess but I heard LA was really ghetto compared to San Francisco and San Diego so I have a feeling we will going for Holland because of that.

We were in San Fransisco last June for the first time and we were surprised how much we disliked it. We thought it would be beautiful, but it was dirty, overcast, homeless people everywhere. Very unwelcoming place. People who live there seem miserable. Felt unsafe the entire time we were there. Makes New York seem like Disneyland. We were there five minutes before a homeless person started yelling at us aggressively and nonsensically. Number one on my least favorite city in the world list. From what we read online, if you park at any of the garages downtown prepare to have your car broken into. Funny, dh tried to use a bathroom at Starbucks but they would not let him because he did not purchase anything. He would have but the line was huge and did not have the time to wait. He was like I though anyone could use Starbucks' bathrooms now? Apparently not in San Fransisco. I guess because of all the homeless people.

The 4-nights include a stop in Victoria and end in Vancouver so I think that would be nice too.

Yes!!! My MIL went :hyper: when I told her there was whale watch cruises departing from Victoria. Some of the three nights also include a stop in Victoria.

We were in San Fransisco last June for the first time and we were surprised how much we disliked it. We thought it would be beautiful, but it was dirty, overcast, homeless people everywhere. Very unwelcoming place. People who live there seem miserable. Felt unsafe the entire time we were there. Makes New York seem like Disneyland. We were there five minutes before a homeless person started yelling at us aggressively and nonsensically. Number one on my least favorite city in the world list. From what we read online, if you park at any of the garages downtown prepare to have your car broken into. Funny, dh tried to use a bathroom at Starbucks but they would not let him because he did not purchase anything. He would have but the line was huge and did not have the time to wait. He was like I though anyone could use Starbucks' bathrooms now? Apparently not in San Fransisco. I guess because of all the homeless people.

We do not use cars so, that's good.

Not surprised that you were not able to use restroom without buying anything. It's like that pretty much everywhere here in Montreal. But thanks for letting us know.

How were the touristy places like Golden Gate Park and Pier 39? Safer or just as bad?

We do not use cars so, that's good.

Not surprised that you were not able to use restroom without buying anything. It's like that pretty much everywhere here in Montreal. But thanks for letting us know.

How were the touristy places like Golden Gate Park and Pier 39? Safer or just as bad?

We did not go to golden gate park. The embarcadero was a mess. We went to giradellis which was fine. We also went to the disney museum which was excellent. But anywhere we went except for the disney museum had homeless people. It is too bad that the Disney family put the Disney museum there. We thought the Starbucks experience was interesting because the month before Starbucks issued a statement saying restrooms would be open. Good that you will not have a car with you if you go there. The entire time we were there we wanted out. We were driving through and only there for the day.

We did not go to golden gate park. The embarcadero was a mess. We went to giradellis which was fine. We also went to the disney museum which was excellent. But anywhere we went except for the disney museum had homeless people. It is too bad that the Disney family put the Disney museum there. We thought the Starbucks experience was interesting because the month before Starbucks issued a statement saying restrooms would be open. Good that you will not have a car with you if you go there. The entire time we were there we wanted out. We were driving through and only there for the day.

Thank you. I've made a short research regarding the problems in SF and sounds like it's as bad (I'm tempted to say "worst") as you have described and it honestly had an impact on my family members.

We have all decided to opt for San Diego instead.

Last edited:

I want to say that this is not the case for SF. It is a wonderful city with the best food, great museums, a nice zoo and tons of history. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and spent lots of time in the city. I learned to drive a manual car there too. Once you do that you can drive anywhere! The placement of the city with the bay on one side and the hills on the other makes for a foggy city and yes, it is often rainy. I wouldn't hesitate to spend any time in this fabulous city.

LA has just as many problems (with better weather!).

I want to say that this is not the case for SF. It is a wonderful city with the best food, great museums, a nice zoo and tons of history. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and spent lots of time in the city. I learned to drive a manual car there too. Once you do that you can drive anywhere! The placement of the city with the bay on one side and the hills on the other makes for a foggy city and yes, it is often rainy. I wouldn't hesitate to spend any time in this fabulous city.

LA has just as many problems (with better weather!).

It seems to be a very recent problem...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rancisco-poop-problem-inequality-homelessness

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-fran...urting-tourism-people-eat-out-of-garbage-cans

https://abc7news.com/politics/street-cleaners-shed-new-light-on-sf-homeless-problem/3664686/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter