CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Diego is a beautiful place. If you can spend a couple of days there, you'll really enjoy it.

It's unlikely. At best we'd be there 24 hours... but we would like to possibly visit Balboa Park and La Jolla Cove and/or Sunset Cliffs if we have enough time.

It looks amazing.

SO COOL!!!

Carnival is now introducing "Frightfully Fun": Halloween festivities for all the family, happening during the whole month of October. They will feature a character named "Patch the Pumpkin Pirate", thriller dance classes, Deck Parties, Halloween Theme Trivia, scary and not so scary movies, halloween treats and drinks.

I've always been a Halloween fan and this is very exciting for me!

:banana:

I want to say that this is not the case for SF. It is a wonderful city with the best food, great museums, a nice zoo and tons of history. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and spent lots of time in the city. I learned to drive a manual car there too. Once you do that you can drive anywhere! The placement of the city with the bay on one side and the hills on the other makes for a foggy city and yes, it is often rainy. I wouldn't hesitate to spend any time in this fabulous city.

LA has just as many problems (with better weather!).

I am very sorry to speak badly about your home city! We had a rough day there. I have a friend from high school who moved there for a few years in her 20s and loved it. I never made it to visit her and have wanted to see San Fransisco since then. We saw some of the media reports ahead of time but thought they were probably typical media exaggeration. The only thing we were worried about ahead of time was parking. We drove cross country and it was the only city we drove through where parking seems to be unsafe (read about it ahead of time). We really did not want our car broken into since we were so far from home. Even with that we were surprised that we did not like it. The city had a very surreal post apocolyptic feel. I know I am digging a deeper hole here. I am sorry! We drove in from the north through the Sierra Nevada mountains and could not believe how spectacular northern California was. Absolutely draw dropping, beautiful. Napa as well. Then we drove down to Disneyland, stopping at some National parks along the way. We had been to southern California before. CA is a beautiful state.

Has anyone been on the Carnival Horizon yet? Looking into potentially booking it for summer 2019. We're Gold on DCL and have done 3 RCCL cruises and 1 NCL (plus going on Bliss in February). We've yet to try Carnival, but are intrigued (seriously considered the Vista previously, but never pulled the trigger). We always wanted to try a southern Caribbean itinerary, and the Horizon will be offering that next summer.

I dislike most big cities, but San Diego is pretty darn nice. It's been over 20 years since I've been to SF. I liked it then, but I've heard it's changed and not for the better.

Has anyone been on the Carnival Horizon yet? Looking into potentially booking it for summer 2019. We're Gold on DCL and have done 3 RCCL cruises and 1 NCL (plus going on Bliss in February). We've yet to try Carnival, but are intrigued (seriously considered the Vista previously, but never pulled the trigger). We always wanted to try a southern Caribbean itinerary, and the Horizon will be offering that next summer.

No, but I have been on Vista twice and it's the exact same ship! We enjoyed both of our cruises on Vista.

No, but I have been on Vista twice and it's the exact same ship! We enjoyed both of our cruises on Vista.

I have also sailed on the Vista and the model of the Horizon is quite similar... (Feel free to check the links on the first post, p.1)

The Vista is the ship I have liked more than the Disney Dream and, at least on paper, I think the Horizon sound even better.

If you decide to pull the trigger, let us know. While our experience (so far) has not been directly on the Horizon itself (although I think @lovin'fl is sailing on her this week-end!), we can most likely give you certain advices regarding the ship and good infos on how Carnival works ... and what the differences with DCL are. :)

Any last minute tips for a first time cruiser? This time next week will be on the ship-4 day on Valor out of Galveston. Have decided against drink package, but loaded up cruise cash account, having water delivered to room, will bring on our allotment of soda/wine, documents printed, airport transportation arranged, precruise hotel paid for-what am I missing? Hoping DH has a good enough time to book next cruise-I'd really like to go to Cuba. And while I'd love to cruise Disney sometime omg the cost! Can do a 5 day to Cuba on Carnival for 2k less than a 4 day Bahama cruise on Disney.

Any last minute tips for a first time cruiser? This time next week will be on the ship-4 day on Valor out of Galveston. Have decided against drink package, but loaded up cruise cash account, having water delivered to room, will bring on our allot9ment of soda/wine, documents printed, airport transportation arranged, precruise hotel paid for-what am I missing? Hoping DH has a good enough time to book next cruise-I'd really like to go to Cuba. And while I'd love to cruise Disney sometime omg the cost! Can do a 5 day to Cuba on Carnival for 2k less than a 4 day Bahama cruise on Disney.

Sounds like you are well prepared. One suggestion. Tip your room attendant on day one, your bartenders an extra buck or two with every drink, and your waiter if you like him/her. The extra $30-50 will go a long way.

Any last minute tips for a first time cruiser? This time next week will be on the ship-4 day on Valor out of Galveston. Have decided against drink package, but loaded up cruise cash account, having water delivered to room, will bring on our allotment of soda/wine, documents printed, airport transportation arranged, precruise hotel paid for-what am I missing? Hoping DH has a good enough time to book next cruise-I'd really like to go to Cuba. And while I'd love to cruise Disney sometime omg the cost! Can do a 5 day to Cuba on Carnival for 2k less than a 4 day Bahama cruise on Disney.

Excellent so far.

Let's see...

If you like cocktails, there is usually a cocktail of the day that has 1-2$ off each day. On embarkation day, it's "The Fun Ship" which is now a tradition for DH and I. The "punchliner" is the signature drink at comedy shows, it's also very good.

If you like specialty coffee and mocha "frappucinos" and more fancy tea, the Coffee Shop has a nice selection. You have to pay for it but it's less expensive than your local starbuck and the desserts they sell are to die for.

Comedy shows: if you like it "rough" and are not offended by the F word, do not miss the 18+ shows. If you are a little bit more picky, try the PG shows and see how it goes. And, don't sit in the first rows. ;)

Musical revues can be hit or miss (same for performers... Wasn't a fan of performers on the Vista but the performers I saw in Vroom on both of my Victory cruise were superstars!!!) ... but there is usually one show per cruise that really stands out for its quality. Try to find out which one.

What type of dining did you pick? Early, late or YTD?

Sounds like you are well prepared. One suggestion. Tip your room attendant on day one, your bartenders an extra buck or two with every drink, and your waiter if you like him/her. The extra $30-50 will go a long way.

Do you prepay your tips on top of the first day tips? We have always had great cabin stewards and always prepaid tips...

Saw this on CC: spend $750 on Carnival (or Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard) and get a $150 credit on American Express. Need to add the offer first to your account. The fine print says U.S. cards only.

Our cruise isn't for over a year. But I think there's no risk doing this? Besides tying up the money. My card has the offer and so does DH's. Plan to pay down $750 on each card and get $300 total credit. They seem to run a similar promotion every so often. Hope I can get the credit a few more times. :)

Saw this on CC: spend $750 on Carnival (or Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard) and get a $150 credit on American Express. Need to add the offer first to your account. The fine print says U.S. cards only.

Our cruise isn't for over a year. But I think there's no risk doing this? Besides tying up the money. My card has the offer and so does DH's. Plan to pay down $750 on each card and get $300 total credit. They seem to run a similar promotion every so often. Hope I can get the credit a few more times. :)

Can you combine (you + your DH) on the offer?

Or do you plan to book two cruises? :hyper:

Can you combine (you + your DH) on the offer?

Or do you plan to book two cruises? :hyper:

Just one cruise. :laughing: There just needs to be a charge from Carnival reservations for the credit to post. So will ask TA to charge $750 to my card and $750 to DH's card for the same reservation.

Do you prepay your tips on top of the first day tips? We have always had great cabin stewards and always prepaid tips...

Yeah. Those guys work so hard all day long that I figure they deserve the extra few bucks. I'm saving them by sailing on Carnival anyway.

I have also sailed on the Vista and the model of the Horizon is quite similar... (Feel free to check the links on the first post, p.1)

The Vista is the ship I have liked more than the Disney Dream and, at least on paper, I think the Horizon sound even better.

If you decide to pull the trigger, let us know. While our experience (so far) has not been directly on the Horizon itself (although I think @lovin'fl is sailing on her this week-end!), we can most likely give you certain advices regarding the ship and good infos on how Carnival works ... and what the differences with DCL are. :)

Thanks...we're about 90% sure we'll be booking the Horizon cruise.

Anyone have opinions on the teen clubs? We'll have a 17 & 14 year old at the time of the cruise. Based on what I've seen they are in separate clubs (most likely a good thing) - the 17-yr old in "Club O2" (15-17) and the 14-yr old would be in "Circle C" (12-14).

For Carnival my tips are:

1. Try the Sea Day brunch - filet mignon and eggs, funniest French toast, eggs benedict - seriously some of the best food on the ship.

2. Try your hand at trivia or other events at least once - try to win yourself a "ship on a stick" which is the prize. It's a great souvenir.

3. Know where your smoking areas are; if you're a non-smoker, avoid them, if you're a smoker, stick to them.

4. Try the Port of Call items on the Dinner menus - some of the best dishes have been those special items.

5. If there's something wrong, speak up. Carnival is generally good at guest recovery when the issues are brought to the right people (and sometimes, it takes a couple of tries to find the "right" person).

Thanks...we're about 90% sure we'll be booking the Horizon cruise.

Anyone have opinions on the teen clubs? We'll have a 17 & 14 year old at the time of the cruise. Based on what I've seen they are in separate clubs (most likely a good thing) - the 17-yr old in "Club O2" (15-17) and the 14-yr old would be in "Circle C" (12-14).

Club O2 and Circle C are sometimes separated and sometimes together. Generally when they do dances or other evening activities, it's separate. When they have afternoon activities (like dance classes, break dance class, a magician show them how to do a trick or stuff like that), the two clubs are brought together.

For the 17 year old, I would expect that they'll meet friends in Club O2 night one and then just mostly use that as a meet up place. For my god daughter who was 16-17 when I took her on cruises, the teens generally would meet up and then hang around the 24 hour pizza and ice cream and the late night hot tubs. It's more about just "hanging out" than the not-so-cool activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter