CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent so far.

Let's see...

If you like cocktails, there is usually a cocktail of the day that has 1-2$ off each day. On embarkation day, it's "The Fun Ship" which is now a tradition for DH and I. The "punchliner" is the signature drink at comedy shows, it's also very good.

If you like specialty coffee and mocha "frappucinos" and more fancy tea, the Coffee Shop has a nice selection. You have to pay for it but it's less expensive than your local starbuck and the desserts they sell are to die for.

Comedy shows: if you like it "rough" and are not offended by the F word, do not miss the 18+ shows. If you are a little bit more picky, try the PG shows and see how it goes. And, don't sit in the first rows. ;)

Musical revues can be hit or miss (same for performers... Wasn't a fan of performers on the Vista but the performers I saw in Vroom on both of my Victory cruise were superstars!!!) ... but there is usually one show per cruise that really stands out for its quality. Try to find out which one.

What type of dining did you pick? Early, late or YTD?
1. Try the Sea Day brunch - filet mignon and eggs, funniest French toast, eggs benedict - seriously some of the best food on the ship.
Tip your room attendant on day one, your bartenders an extra buck or two with every drink, and your waiter if you like him/her. The extra $30-50 will go a long way.

Thank you guys for the awesome tips!
we are early dining. this cruise is supposed to also be a regional meeting where we are supposed to be in meetings for a couple hours each day. We will see. But the early dining is where our group is supposed to be together. Have a feeling we are gonna love the 18+ shows...

And the cuba cruise-friends just invited us to join them on their cuba cruise next fall. Getting details now and hopefully book soon!
Work sucks today so looking forward to getting a way for a few days soon!!

For Carnival my tips are:

1. Try the Sea Day brunch - filet mignon and eggs, funniest French toast, eggs benedict - seriously some of the best food on the ship.

2. Try your hand at trivia or other events at least once - try to win yourself a "ship on a stick" which is the prize. It's a great souvenir.

3. Know where your smoking areas are; if you're a non-smoker, avoid them, if you're a smoker, stick to them.

4. Try the Port of Call items on the Dinner menus - some of the best dishes have been those special items.

5. If there's something wrong, speak up. Carnival is generally good at guest recovery when the issues are brought to the right people (and sometimes, it takes a couple of tries to find the "right" person).

:thumbsup2 I strongly approve all those tips.

I would add to #1: The port days breakfast menu in the dining room is also very good. I'm obsessed with the vanilla french toast and the avocado toast. We always order 1 of each on top of what we pick for breakfast.

Thank you guys for the awesome tips!
we are early dining. this cruise is supposed to also be a regional meeting where we are supposed to be in meetings for a couple hours each day. We will see. But the early dining is where our group is supposed to be together. Have a feeling we are gonna love the 18+ shows...

And the cuba cruise-friends just invited us to join them on their cuba cruise next fall. Getting details now and hopefully book soon!
Work sucks today so looking forward to getting a way for a few days soon!!

Early dining: Like on DCL, you should have the same team every night. I've never been disappointed. :)

Club O2 and Circle C are sometimes separated and sometimes together. Generally when they do dances or other evening activities, it's separate. When they have afternoon activities (like dance classes, break dance class, a magician show them how to do a trick or stuff like that), the two clubs are brought together.

For the 17 year old, I would expect that they'll meet friends in Club O2 night one and then just mostly use that as a meet up place. For my god daughter who was 16-17 when I took her on cruises, the teens generally would meet up and then hang around the 24 hour pizza and ice cream and the late night hot tubs. It's more about just "hanging out" than the not-so-cool activities.

Thanks. It sounds like they are heavy on dance classes...probably not something either of my kids would care for. Hopefully there's some better activities - especially for the 14-yr old (DD). When she was younger, on DCL, we practically had to drag her out kicking & screaming of Oceaneer's Club/Lab (it was similar with RCCL). However, since she's been in the Edge age range on DCL, she spends little to no time there. Our 17-yr old (DS) was the opposite. Would almost never go to the younger kids clubs, and then once he moved up to the tween & teen clubs we never see him.

One more question for now (sorry, I'm full of them now)...anyone try the Family Harbor rooms? We're leaning towards one of those.

Thanks. It sounds like they are heavy on dance classes...probably not something either of my kids would care for. Hopefully there's some better activities - especially for the 14-yr old (DD). When she was younger, on DCL, we practically had to drag her out kicking & screaming of Oceaneer's Club/Lab (it was similar with RCCL). However, since she's been in the Edge age range on DCL, she spends little to no time there. Our 17-yr old (DS) was the opposite. Would almost never go to the younger kids clubs, and then once he moved up to the tween & teen clubs we never see him.

One more question for now (sorry, I'm full of them now)...anyone try the Family Harbor rooms? We're leaning towards one of those.

I haven't but I know a lot of them are under the galley so not ideal if you want a "quiet" room. I've seen many reviews complaining about the noise.

I haven't but I know a lot of them are under the galley so not ideal if you want a "quiet" room. I've seen many reviews complaining about the noise.

Noise generally doesn't bother me. First off, an any cruise, we're hardly ever in our stateroom. To sleep and shower...that's about it. If I'm in the room for any length of time I go nuts. The kids? They have headphones (or AirPods now) in their ears pretty much 24/7 so they won't hear any noises anyway.

I have heard this as well, but you can avoid those under the galley by checking the deck plans. Galley noise is extensive I guess? It will wake you up early when they start prepping breakfast, and carries on late with clean up etc. I would love to stay in a Family Harbor room though, the lounge for breakfast, ice cream all day, coffee/etc, and I think they have games and possibly video games too? And I think it gives you kids meals free in the specialty dining, if you do that. I think if you are from the aft elevators and back you would be fine. I guess if you are looking for a cove balcony or suite though you would find it noisy. Aft balcony would probably be nice? there are reviews on youtube you can check out to see the rooms.

I have heard this as well, but you can avoid those under the galley by checking the deck plans. Galley noise is extensive I guess? It will wake you up early when they start prepping breakfast, and carries on late with clean up etc. I would love to stay in a Family Harbor room though, the lounge for breakfast, ice cream all day, coffee/etc, and I think they have games and possibly video games too? And I think it gives you kids meals free in the specialty dining, if you do that. I think if you are from the aft elevators and back you would be fine. I guess if you are looking for a cove balcony or suite though you would find it noisy. Aft balcony would probably be nice? there are reviews on youtube you can check out to see the rooms.

It has a lot of perks, which I have described in the first post.

Noise generally doesn't bother me. First off, an any cruise, we're hardly ever in our stateroom. To sleep and shower...that's about it. If I'm in the room for any length of time I go nuts. The kids? They have headphones (or AirPods now) in their ears pretty much 24/7 so they won't hear any noises anyway.
What about noise when your trying to sleep? I had an extremely noisy room over the WDW theater last week. It was like 10 out of 10 on the noise level from from 2pm to 930pm. The whole room would shake and vibrate from what was going on below us. I don't spend a lot of time in the room, but it was annoying when I was in there. We were also by the crew door which would open and slam about every 10 seconds starting at around 5 am. Also for some reason all the announcements would blast in our room. I would never ever recommend this room to anyone.
I have read the rooms over the galleys on the Vista are extremely noisy very early in the morning. Like being underneath a bowling alley. I would read some of the reviews on the cruise critic.

Leaving for our drive to New Orleans tomorrow! So much to do today still and the new tropical depression forming has me slightly depressed. I really need a beach day.

Leaving for our drive to New Orleans tomorrow! So much to do today still and the new tropical depression forming has me slightly depressed. I really need a beach day.

Oh no! I just saw that. (I follow-up on the matter since we leave in a few days). Hopefully you can have some sort of cruise. But you can possibly expect a change in itinerary.

Hoping you'll get a great vacation.

We are leaving in a few days and "Michael" is supposed to be a tropical storm again and "brush" the east coast as we are flying to FLL. I have a feeling that our plane is going to be re-routed (same point A and point B but longer flight).

Thanks...we're about 90% sure we'll be booking the Horizon cruise.

Anyone have opinions on the teen clubs? We'll have a 17 & 14 year old at the time of the cruise. Based on what I've seen they are in separate clubs (most likely a good thing) - the 17-yr old in "Club O2" (15-17) and the 14-yr old would be in "Circle C" (12-14).
We did the 8 night Southern itinerary on Vista and loved it!! Great ship and awesome itinerary, especially Curaçao. My daughter loved Club O2 and hung out with the other teens the entire trip. We haven’t done family harbor as we always book 2 connecting inside rooms for all our cruises. We may be doing that same itinerary on Horizon in 2020, it really was a great cruise. For what it’s worth, we’ve become Gold status on Carnival, all on the Vista - she’s a great ship!!

Hoping you'll get a great vacation.

We are leaving in a few days and "Michael" is supposed to be a tropical storm again and "brush" the east coast as we are flying to FLL. I have a feeling that our plane is going to be re-routed (same point A and point B but longer flight).
I just looked at the forecast. They are expecting it to strengthen to a cat 3. I guess conditions are very favorable in the gulf. It's funny we heard about Florence for weeks and this one just sort of popped up out of nowhere. According to the cone it's supposed to head up through Goergia and Carolina's. I think the Miami area will be fine. Planes can go around the storm as long as the weather is not bad where you're landing you should be ok.

Sitting in the terminal waiting to board. Our ports have been reversed but not cancelled so that is good. Looks like TS Michael will turn towards Florida and not hit LA or AL.

We're home from the Conquest! :sad: Had an amazing time. Pretty ship, great ports of call and met some really awesome people. I wanted to write my thoughts down while it was still fresh. So in no particular order:

1. We stayed at the Home2Suites in Ft. Lauderdale. We love these hotels and this one did not disappoint. Paid about $135 for the night, included breakfast and a shuttle to the port. Highly recommend.

2. Embarkation day was an absolute breeze. Like I mentioned before, it took 7 whole minutes from getting off the hotel shuttle to walking into the atrium. S&S cards were in our little mailbox. Rooms were available at 1:30.

3. We had an interior room (7th floor-Aft) for the first time and it was fine. I missed having a window just to know what time it is and seeing the weather. Our room location was fantastic though. 2 floors straight up to the buffet, 2 floors down to the promenade. No noise problems whatsoever, although, I do recommend a portable fan for noise and to keep the air circulating. Sounded like some people did have a problem with their rooms being warm as well. One couple we met bought a fan in San Juan and said it helped tremendously.

4. Bring a power strip!! There was ONE outlet on the little desk. For some reason, I was thinking there were more, but that was on the Magic (a larger class of ship).

5. Our room steward was great. Greeted us by name every time we saw him. We opted to have our room cleaned just in the evenings, which was perfectly fine for us. I know some people complain about the 1 time cleaning and if we had kids, I can understand that. But the 1 time is no issue to us. We tipped him an extra $20 and he was very appreciative.

6. This was also the first time we chose My Time Dining. I learned this has pros & cons. We loved being able to go eat when we wanted. The flexibility is great. However, we really do miss having the same serving team every night. It's definitely a trade off. Service did seem a little slower, but nothing I would complain about.

7. The ship itself is very easy to navigate. The layout is exactly the same as the Glory, which is a reason we chose this ship. The decor wasn't too crazy, I believe the theme was Art/Artists. (Dining rooms were Monet/Renoir, comedy lounge was Degas, etc.)

8. We spent a TON of time in the Aft Pool, which was labeled Adults Only. We were VERY appreciate that that rule was strictly enforced. There were no kids in that pool or the hottubs at any point. The pool also had a retractable roof which did get used. This was something that disappointed us on the Magic. The aft pool was always filled with kids and it got to the point that it wasn't fun to use. We spent a lot of time in the hottubs on the port/starboard sides, but when its 100 degrees, sometimes you just want a pool.

9. Speaking of kids, there weren't many. If there were, we didn't notice them. So September would be a great time to cruise if that's what you're looking for!

10. Stage shows were very good. Our favorites for Epic Rock & Flick. Didn't care much for Heart of Soul and we missed the 80s Pop one unfortunately. Love & Marriage show did not disappoint. We also did the Carnival Quest show, which was the same night. If you've never done this and you are not easily offended, do not miss this. It's a one time show and it filled up fast.

11. Go see the comedy shows! They're our favorite! Definitely do the 18+ shows, although I heard the PG ones are great as well.

12. St. Maarten was definitely still in a rebuilding stage and honestly, it was our least favorite stop. It is partly our fault because we didn't plan anything for the day, however, it was slightly disappointing. I would recommend an excursion or getting a taxi to a beach. Sounded lots of people we spoke to did an island tour and said the island is still in bad shape or there was not much to see. Take that with a grain of salt though!

13. I HIGHLY recommend Thenford Grey tours for St. Kitts. We did their snorkeling tour ($45 pp) and had an amazing day. The island is beautiful and the tour company itself was just wonderful. They are a third party however, they were the only outside company that was in the area where you met the Carnival tours. Everyone else was kept outside the area and we took that as a good sign. If we go back, we'd do another with them with no hesitation.

14. We were only in San Juan until 1:30, but it was a nice break from beaches. We just walked from the port to Old San Juan and the city is beautiful. We got pina coladas from the original restaurant they were created in and wandered through the shops. I wouldn't mind going back at all.

15. Grand Turk was great as well, it was our 2nd time there. DH rented snorkeling stuff and did that most of the day. Margaritaville is there as well (sorry I refuse to eat there with how expensive it is) but they had a huge pool that was available. You really don't need an excursion here, but they did have a bunch available.

16. Food in general was great, no real complaints. We did the dining room 5 nights, buffet 2 nights and just late night pizza another night. I really enjoyed the Deli and Blue Iguana Cantina. Guy's was great as always. They also had BBQ, but never tried it.

17. The Cheers package was expensive but we did get our money's worth for sure. We had 3 full Sea Days so I know we came out ahead on those days. Honestly, a Bloody Mary in the morning, a couple frozen drinks/beers at the pool, wine with dinner, and a couple more drinks at the shows/comedy club/bars at night and it was worth it. Not to mention my at least once daily trips to the coffee bar. Everyone needs to decide that for themselves though!

18. Because our flight didn't leave until 3:30 we signed up for the Everglades tour on our debarkation day ($50 pp). We were off the ship by 8AM, got a bus to the Everglades Holiday Park, went on an airboat tour and saw a gator show, then were transported to FLL airport. Had a great time and would definitely recommend if you had a late flight!

OK, I think I covered the things I wanted to mention, but feel free to ask questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter