CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not Montreal? (I live in Montreal and always fly from Montreal).

I'm nervous driving in Montreal. I don't even like driving in Ottawa down town and I think it's fairly tame in comparison! Plus in March I worry there'd be a freak snowstorm I would have to drive in. But I think I can do it. I'd probably drive to Montreal the night before, and stay somewhere near the airport that I could get parking at for the week I'm away. It's a lot cheaper and there are so many more flight options from Montreal than Ottawa.

I'm nervous driving in Montreal. I don't even like driving in Ottawa down town and I think it's fairly tame in comparison! Plus in March I worry there'd be a freak snowstorm I would have to drive in. But I think I can do it. I'd probably drive to Montreal the night before, and stay somewhere near the airport that I could get parking at for the week I'm away. It's a lot cheaper and there are so many more flight options from Montreal than Ottawa.

Train tickets and/or bus tickets from Ottawa to Montreal are usually cheap (I'm sure I've seen prices around 25$ each way) and there are many promos. You should look it up. :)

That being said, the drive between Ottawa and Montreal Airport is mostly on the highway. You don't need to go through the town at all. One of my best friends used to live in Ottawa and I used to go visit her. I was a nervous driver, yet, the drive between MTL and OTT was so easy!

Train tickets and/or bus tickets from Ottawa to Montreal are usually cheap (I'm sure I've seen prices around 25$ each way) and there are many promos. You should look it up. :)

That being said, the drive between Ottawa and Montreal Airport is mostly on the highway. You don't need to go through the town at all. One of my best friends used to live in Ottawa and I used to go visit her. I was a nervous driver, yet, the drive between MTL and OTT was so easy!

I was looking at trains as well since I live near the train station in Ottawa it would be easy and no driving required! But I have been told it's pretty easy to drive, as you say. I guess I'll have to see how much I really want this cruise :) and how much it costs to drive (and park) vs train.

Carnival Dream review:
I have been dragging my feet with this review because I hate posting anything at all negative about Carnival as it is still my favorite cruise line to date. I also feel like our experience on this ship is an exception, or at least for us. The reviews I am reading lately make me wonder a bit. I am drawing the conclusion that Carnival provides an inconsistent product. This I am willing to forgive for the price.
So I am a Carnival cheerleader, but this ship had some issues for us. We personally will avoid this ship in the future. This doesn't mean we had a bad cruise-- we had a great time and still love Carnival. I will list our issues-- most have to do with cleanliness.
1. Our cabin was not clean. Someone had thrown up or spilled something gross on the counter in the cabin and it had dripped onto and through the cabinetry near the refrigerator and safe. It had not been thoroughly cleaned- gross obviously! The cabin was not vacuumed during our stay. I even left
sand on the carpet to see if the room would get vacuumed, but the steward only vacuumed that one spot. Nothing in our cabin had been cleaned in a LONG time. We bring lysol wipes and bathroom throwaway scrubbers on cruises just in case. I do not always use them but did this time. They were black after use.
2. Our entire floor smelled stale and musty and was also warm. I would not recommend deck 2 on this ship at all. They reroute air conditioning away from this floor. Most other decks had substantially more air conditioning through hallways and public areas. Dh and I made a point to walk through other floors on several occasions to test this. Floors above felt cold and smelled pleasantly. If you sail Carnival Dream pick a room above deck 2. Dh and I agreed we would have had a completely different experience had our cabin been on let's say deck 7. Very pleasant temp, pleasant smell, like it was a different ship. We complained about this issue at guest services on 3 occasions and they were nice but basically brushed us off. They would send someone to our room to reassure us that it was quite comfortable. The best they could do was get the temperature in our room about 8 degrees colder than the air outside. We explained to them that this was barely air conditioning. The "tech" they sent to our room had a great sense of humor. Once when he was reassuring me that our room was "quite comfortable," he had sweat dripping down his face. I could not help cracking up and he tried to keep a straight face, but he started cracking up too. It was as Ben E N pointed out a Mr. Incredible verses Insuricare moment. Our room never felt refreshing or pleasant, just bearable. This ship had a water event about 6 months ago. I am not sure if that is why our floored smelled musty (or as our 9 year old described it, "like stinky feet all the time"). DH described the smell as an onion or rotten meat smell. It was funny when we got in our car after the cruise I felt like I could still smell the smell. Like on Seinfeld when the BO smell attached itself to Jerry.
3. I would also not recommend booking a cabin underneath the galley unless you plan on waking up at 5am every morning! I saw the sunrise several times on this cruise. Lol. I bring earplugs and Dh sleeps like a log but the galley activity woke us up every morning!
4. There was only one "craft at sea" activity scheduled for our entire cruise. On our other 2 Carnival cruises, I am pretty sure there was one per sea day. We felt the activities on this ship in general were less robust than on previous CCL cruises. Not sure if this is a shift by the company or if our cruise/ cruise director was off.
5. Speaking of our cruise director, we barely saw him the entire cruise. I hate to call him out because he seemed nice enough, but even my teen commented that he barely saw the cruise director around. We do not need a lot of direction ourselves but there was a lack of cohesion on this cruise.
6. We chose anytime dining for this cruise as we have for previous cruises. On previous cruises service during anytime dining has been excellent, but on this cruise we found the service scattered, sometimes excellent, sometimes okay. Also, on other cruises we have always been seated at adequate tables but on this cruise, every night we ate as a group in the dining room, we were seated at a table for 4 as a party of 5. They placed a chair on the end of the table which made the table feel very crowded.
7. The cruise felt too crowded. I think we have learned that August is not the best time to cruise. We have taken 3 cruises in August over the years (2 CCL one DCL), and they all felt too crowded in August.
8. On the CCL Dream photographs are literally on the walls and you are just supposed to find them. Good luck! We have never experienced this on any ship or vacation. I have read reviews that mentioned this system, but it is hard to appreciate it until you have experienced it. Our kids had a good time finding some of our pictures, but kind of an unbelievable system. We never found all the photos that were taken. Also, all pictures are a la carte and anything considered a "portrait" is more expensive--$30 per photo. There was no ten for a price or something like that.
9. Our TV was on the fritz and had a crackling sound (not reception related). The picture was also sketchy. We also complained about this to guest services but there was no follow up in this area.
10. The crew did not seem as upbeat or friendly as on previous CCL cruises. Everyone was generally nice, but the crew seemed over it. People who were obviously supposed to be vacuuming by stairs just going through the motions and accomplishing nothing. I do not think we ever had someone pick up a plate off of our table while we ate in the buffet.
11. Condition of ship so-so. The sofa in our stateroom was incredibly stained. This was true of many carpets and chairs throughout the ship. Other chairs were so worn out that when you would sit on them they would collapse or sag.
13. The area for dive in movies was at capacity many nights. We have not felt like this area was too small to accommodate passengers for dive in movies on other ships, but it was too small on the Dream. I am wondering if this is because there were not enough other activities, or if it was ship design.
14. The layout of this ship is unfortunate and has poor flow.
15. The decor on the Dream is a bit strange even for me.
People were playing their own music from speakers or tablets around the ship. We experienced this at the hot tubs and on deck in more typically quiet areas. We have never encountered this before on a cruise but did see it 3times on this one. I am not sure if this is technically allowed?
17. The tv choices are quite crappy now-- but this is not ship specific. Our kids found a "new" show on Cartoon Network about 3 bears but otherwise the map channel was the most interesting one on there. This is not a big deal for us but just noted.
18. Did not seem like there was any management around. The captain was also not "present." This was different from our other 2 Carnival cruises.

A mini comparison to DCL for sake of the thread lol:
1. The air conditioning on DCL has usually been superb for us. We did experience one DCL cabin where the a/c was only okay. But in general all areas on DCL feel refreshing and clean, sometimes I have to put on a sweater. But I would rather have to put on a sweater than have the ship feel sticky and uncomfortable. Maybe not worth the extra $7000 our trip would have cost though!
2. Our cabins on DCL have always been satisfactory, although not always perfectly clean. We have found dust and occasional grime in DCL cabins and sometimes more wear on cabins than we would like to see for the price.
3. We have always been seated at appropriately sized tables on DCL, but we do prefer the anytime dining on CCL. And we prefer the food availability on CCL. On CCL we feel like it is our vacation, on our terms, but on DCL, we have to roll with their timetable. Too rigid for us.
4. We find the cruise directors on DCL weak and have never been impressed by any, but on DCL management is very present and generally responsive.
5. Love DCL's TV selection.
6. Do not love DCL's outdoor movie set up or lack of popcorn. Love their movie theatre but do not love popcorn charges, just silly.

In sum, the big issue for us is cleanliness. Other things are secondary. (Well, the kids club is a close second, other issues distant second). The air conditioning ties to cleanliness. Unfortunately, the ac is something out of our control. I know on the Vista that each cabin has it's own a/c unit, so CCL is addressing this issue with newer ships. Our a/c in our Vista cabin was heavenly. But our a/c on the Conquest, which is DCL Wonder era, was also excellent. So I think you have to do your research. Now that we know that there is some inconsistency on cabin cleanliness on CCL, we will go armed with even more lysol wipes and lysol to spray the carpet wall to wall (got this idea off of someone else's review). Also will bring more air freshener. I hate to admit it but I am willing to "clean" a bit in the cabin for a $7000 cruise discount. But... we also will do more research on specific ships. We found the Conquest very clean and in great condition, even better than Vista. Not crowded, excellent cruise.
As everyone points out, the price comparison with DCL is nuts. We paid $3300 for 5 people (got price drops), one inside, one balcony. DCL would have been in the $11000-12000 for our family for a very similar itinerary. That is just not a price that makes us happy for a 7 night vacation, no matter what it is. At this point we have 5 future cruises booked through summer 2020, three with CCL, one NCL, one DCL. Four night on DCL, 7 and 8 nights on the others. We like to cruise, and cruising on CCL is definitely a great value. I know my review will probably seem overly critical, but I am just trying to be as honest as possible. We do not expect everything to be perfect on a vacation, actually I like imperfection (Dh not as much lol), but I do notice things that could be improved. I did let Carnival know about these things. On that note, I will list some of the positives from our CCL Dream cruise:
1. Guys burgers (as usual) and food overall-- love it
2. Bartenders were really on top of popcorn service for dive in movies. Had boxes lined up ready to take all night.
3. GREAT dive in movie choices.
4. Desserts in buffet at lunch have been kicked up a notch and were excellent.
4. We liked the large atrium.
5. Tender system for Belize VERY well organized.
6. Kids loved the kids club-- real high point for the entire line. Our kids still like the CCL kids club better than the DCL kids club. As I have written before this was a real shocker for us on our first CCL cruise, but after 3 CCL cruises I can see why. The counselors are more engaged and come up with fun, basic games, where the kids have to be creative themselves, create something out of nothing, whereas on DCL the creativity is handed to them, done already, maybe less satisfying? I am not saying they dislike the DCL kids club but that they get "bored," and when I pick them up they are usually playing alone on ipads as opposed to happy and out of breath from playing with "friends." The only thing they really like in the DCL kids clubs is gaga ball. They also do not like Marvel and only one likes Star Wars-- slightly. They like the drawing area on DCL, but it is often too crowded, and again, it is a more solitary activity, which is fine, but they make a lot more "friends" on CCL. On DCL, it seems like many families have already negotiated friendships for their kids ahead of time on Facebook.
8. mini
golf location great, relaxing area
9. good experience in spa, caved and bought 2 elemis products for the first time. Have to admit they are excellent.
10. comedians (Michael Issacs! So funny.) and trivia-- awesome on CCL.
11. Love the cafe
12. Effortless boarding and disembark
13. Great ports (Cozumel-Paradise Beach, Belize- cave tubing, Mahogany Bay) and NOLA is a great departure port.

Our next cruise is the Breeze in March.

Nice review. The Dream was our very first cruise in 2012. Sad to read she is not up to par. If you have not been on Breeze yet you will love her (I hope). My favorite ship; still Dream class but post-Farcus! Also, it has the ropes course which is fun.

Carnival Dream review:
I have been dragging my feet with this review because I hate posting anything at all negative about Carnival as it is still my favorite cruise line to date. I also feel like our experience on this ship is an exception, or at least for us. The reviews I am reading lately make me wonder a bit. I am drawing the conclusion that Carnival provides an inconsistent product. This I am willing to forgive for the price.
So I am a Carnival cheerleader, but this ship had some issues for us. We personally will avoid this ship in the future. This doesn't mean we had a bad cruise-- we had a great time and still love Carnival. I will list our issues-- most have to do with cleanliness.
1. Our cabin was not clean. Someone had thrown up or spilled something gross on the counter in the cabin and it had dripped onto and through the cabinetry near the refrigerator and safe. It had not been thoroughly cleaned- gross obviously! The cabin was not vacuumed during our stay. I even left
sand on the carpet to see if the room would get vacuumed, but the steward only vacuumed that one spot. Nothing in our cabin had been cleaned in a LONG time. We bring lysol wipes and bathroom throwaway scrubbers on cruises just in case. I do not always use them but did this time. They were black after use.
2. Our entire floor smelled stale and musty and was also warm. I would not recommend deck 2 on this ship at all. They reroute air conditioning away from this floor. Most other decks had substantially more air conditioning through hallways and public areas. Dh and I made a point to walk through other floors on several occasions to test this. Floors above felt cold and smelled pleasantly. If you sail Carnival Dream pick a room above deck 2. Dh and I agreed we would have had a completely different experience had our cabin been on let's say deck 7. Very pleasant temp, pleasant smell, like it was a different ship. We complained about this issue at guest services on 3 occasions and they were nice but basically brushed us off. They would send someone to our room to reassure us that it was quite comfortable. The best they could do was get the temperature in our room about 8 degrees colder than the air outside. We explained to them that this was barely air conditioning. The "tech" they sent to our room had a great sense of humor. Once when he was reassuring me that our room was "quite comfortable," he had sweat dripping down his face. I could not help cracking up and he tried to keep a straight face, but he started cracking up too. It was as Ben E N pointed out a Mr. Incredible verses Insuricare moment. Our room never felt refreshing or pleasant, just bearable. This ship had a water event about 6 months ago. I am not sure if that is why our floored smelled musty (or as our 9 year old described it, "like stinky feet all the time"). DH described the smell as an onion or rotten meat smell. It was funny when we got in our car after the cruise I felt like I could still smell the smell. Like on Seinfeld when the BO smell attached itself to Jerry.
3. I would also not recommend booking a cabin underneath the galley unless you plan on waking up at 5am every morning! I saw the sunrise several times on this cruise. Lol. I bring earplugs and Dh sleeps like a log but the galley activity woke us up every morning!
4. There was only one "craft at sea" activity scheduled for our entire cruise. On our other 2 Carnival cruises, I am pretty sure there was one per sea day. We felt the activities on this ship in general were less robust than on previous CCL cruises. Not sure if this is a shift by the company or if our cruise/ cruise director was off.
5. Speaking of our cruise director, we barely saw him the entire cruise. I hate to call him out because he seemed nice enough, but even my teen commented that he barely saw the cruise director around. We do not need a lot of direction ourselves but there was a lack of cohesion on this cruise.
6. We chose anytime dining for this cruise as we have for previous cruises. On previous cruises service during anytime dining has been excellent, but on this cruise we found the service scattered, sometimes excellent, sometimes okay. Also, on other cruises we have always been seated at adequate tables but on this cruise, every night we ate as a group in the dining room, we were seated at a table for 4 as a party of 5. They placed a chair on the end of the table which made the table feel very crowded.
7. The cruise felt too crowded. I think we have learned that August is not the best time to cruise. We have taken 3 cruises in August over the years (2 CCL one DCL), and they all felt too crowded in August.
8. On the CCL Dream photographs are literally on the walls and you are just supposed to find them. Good luck! We have never experienced this on any ship or vacation. I have read reviews that mentioned this system, but it is hard to appreciate it until you have experienced it. Our kids had a good time finding some of our pictures, but kind of an unbelievable system. We never found all the photos that were taken. Also, all pictures are a la carte and anything considered a "portrait" is more expensive--$30 per photo. There was no ten for a price or something like that.
9. Our TV was on the fritz and had a crackling sound (not reception related). The picture was also sketchy. We also complained about this to guest services but there was no follow up in this area.
10. The crew did not seem as upbeat or friendly as on previous CCL cruises. Everyone was generally nice, but the crew seemed over it. People who were obviously supposed to be vacuuming by stairs just going through the motions and accomplishing nothing. I do not think we ever had someone pick up a plate off of our table while we ate in the buffet.
11. Condition of ship so-so. The sofa in our stateroom was incredibly stained. This was true of many carpets and chairs throughout the ship. Other chairs were so worn out that when you would sit on them they would collapse or sag.
13. The area for dive in movies was at capacity many nights. We have not felt like this area was too small to accommodate passengers for dive in movies on other ships, but it was too small on the Dream. I am wondering if this is because there were not enough other activities, or if it was ship design.
People were playing their own music from speakers or tablets around the ship. We experienced this at the hot tubs and on deck in more typically quiet areas. We have never encountered this before on a cruise but did see it 3times on this one. I am not sure if this is technically allowed?
17. The tv choices are quite crappy now-- but this is not ship specific. Our kids found a "new" show on Cartoon Network about 3 bears but otherwise the map channel was the most interesting one on there. This is not a big deal for us but just noted.
18. Did not seem like there was any management around. The captain was also not "present." This was different from our other 2 Carnival cruises.

1. The air conditioning on DCL has usually been superb for us. We did experience one DCL cabin where the a/c was only okay. But in general all areas on DCL feel refreshing and clean, sometimes I have to put on a sweater. But I would rather have to put on a sweater than have the ship feel sticky and uncomfortable. Maybe not worth the extra $7000 our trip would have cost though!
2. Our cabins on DCL have always been satisfactory, although not always perfectly clean. We have found dust and occasional grime in DCL cabins and sometimes more wear on cabins than we would like to see for the price.
3. We have always been seated at appropriately sized tables on DCL, but we do prefer the anytime dining on CCL. And we prefer the food availability on CCL. On CCL we feel like it is our vacation, on our terms, but on DCL, we have to roll with their timetable. Too rigid for us.
4. We find the cruise directors on DCL weak and have never been impressed by any, but on DCL management is very present and generally responsive.
6. Do not love DCL's outdoor movie set up or lack of popcorn. Love their movie theatre but do not love popcorn charges, just silly.

In sum, the big issue for us is cleanliness. Other things are secondary. (Well, the kids club is a close second, other issues distant second). The air conditioning ties to cleanliness. Unfortunately, the ac is something out of our control. I know on the Vista that each cabin has it's own a/c unit, so CCL is addressing this issue with newer ships. Our a/c in our Vista cabin was heavenly. But our a/c on the Conquest, which is DCL Wonder era, was also excellent. So I think you have to do your research. Now that we know that there is some inconsistency on cabin cleanliness on CCL, we will go armed with even more lysol wipes and lysol to spray the carpet wall to wall (got this idea off of someone else's review). Also will bring more air freshener. I hate to admit it but I am willing to "clean" a bit in the cabin for a $7000 cruise discount. But... we also will do more research on specific ships. We found the Conquest very clean and in great condition, even better than Vista. Not crowded, excellent cruise.
As everyone points out, the price comparison with DCL is nuts. We paid $3300 for 5 people (got price drops), one inside, one balcony. DCL would have been in the $11000-12000 for our family for a very similar itinerary. That is just not a price that makes us happy for a 7 night vacation, no matter what it is. At this point we have 5 future cruises booked through summer 2020, three with CCL, one NCL, one DCL. Four night on DCL, 7 and 8 nights on the others. We like to cruise, and cruising on CCL is definitely a great value. I know my review will probably seem overly critical, but I am just trying to be as honest as possible. We do not expect everything to be perfect on a vacation, actually I like imperfection (Dh not as much lol), but I do notice things that could be improved. I did let Carnival know about these things. On that note, I will list some of the positives from our CCL Dream cruise:
2. Bartenders were really on top of popcorn service for dive in movies. Had boxes lined up ready to take all night.
6. Kids loved the kids club-- real high point for the entire line. Our kids still like the CCL kids club better than the DCL kids club. As I have written before this was a real shocker for us on our first CCL cruise, but after 3 CCL cruises I can see why. The counselors are more engaged and come up with fun, basic games, where the kids have to be creative themselves, create something out of nothing, whereas on DCL the creativity is handed to them, done already, maybe less satisfying? I am not saying they dislike the DCL kids club but that they get "bored," and when I pick them up they are usually playing alone on ipads as opposed to happy and out of breath from playing with "friends." The only thing they really like in the DCL kids clubs is gaga ball. They also do not like Marvel and only one likes Star Wars-- slightly. They like the drawing area on DCL, but it is often too crowded, and again, it is a more solitary activity, which is fine, but they make a lot more "friends" on CCL. On DCL, it seems like many families have already negotiated friendships for their kids ahead of time on Facebook.
8. mini
9. good experience in spa, caved and bought 2 elemis products for the first time. Have to admit they are excellent.
11. Love the cafe
13. Great ports (Cozumel-Paradise Beach, Belize- cave tubing, Mahogany Bay) and NOLA is a great departure port.

1. Ewwwwwww! This not acceptable AT ALL. Did you complain to guest services? I would have asked to change cabins or at least a deep clean. And would have swiped dirty things with the lysol in front of them just to show them how dirty the cabin was. If you did, how did they respond?

2&3. I will add this info on the first post regarding the Dream.

8. I thought all the ships were upgraded with Pixels but clearly this is not the Dream case. Hopefully, they'll upgrade it soon. We had that system on our first Carnival cruise & never found our pictures. Apparently they offer packages when the ships have Pixels.

11. Wasn't the Dream refurbished last year?

16. So annoying!!! Who does that?

I strongly believe that it is important to be critical. I'm always severe on my comments cards too (on both cruise lines). I'm thinking of adding a list of ship to the first post who are most likely to please DCL lovers (if they decide to try Carnival) as I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that certain Carnival ship would be better suited for DCL lovers...

...and I feel like most of them are newer ships.

Can't wait to read your Breeze comparison. :D

Carnival Dream review:

8. mini
11. Love the cafe

Thanks for such a fair and honest review. We were act considering the Dream instead of the Vista cruise that we booked over the weekend. I’m happy we didn’t book it.

The full time CD on the Dream is Chris Williams, “The Flying Scotsman,” he was on vacay for a bit andbis now on Vista will Matt Mitchum is on Vacay. I’m so bummed you missed having him as your CD, he’s awesome!

It certainly sound like you made the most of your cruise. Will you do us a favor and review your NCL cruise when you get back, I’d love to know how they compute CCL and DCL.

1. Ewwwwwww! This not acceptable AT ALL. Did you complain to guest services? I would have asked to change cabins or at least a deep clean. And would have swiped dirty things with the lysol in front of them just to show them how dirty the cabin was. If you did, how did they respond?

2&3. I will add this info on the first post regarding the Dream.

8. I thought all the ships were upgraded with Pixels but clearly this is not the Dream case. Hopefully, they'll upgrade it soon. We had that system on our first Carnival cruise & never found our pictures. Apparently they offer packages when the ships have Pixels.

11. Wasn't the Dream refurbished last year?

16. So annoying!!! Who does that?

I strongly believe that it is important to be critical. I'm always severe on my comments cards too (on both cruise lines). I'm thinking of adding a list of ship to the first post who are most likely to please DCL lovers (if they decide to try Carnival) as I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that certain Carnival ship would be better suited for DCL lovers...

...and I feel like most of them are newer ships.

Can't wait to read your Breeze comparison. :D

Unfortunately we did not complain about the cleanliness at guest services, but I did go on at length about it on the online survey they sent after the cruise. I know we should have complained. What happened is we got into the cabin and noticed issues right away. Our room steward showed up moments later and DH told him that the cabin really needed to be cleaned. He pointed out several issues and said our steward said it would be done right away after muster. We got on the ship kind of late, maybe around 3. So we thought he would seriously clean the room. Unfortunately, we were not in the cabin much until late and noticed then he had barely addressed the issues. He had wiped some of the "throw up type stuff" off but not all of it. I was just ready to get comfortable in the cabin and then spent about 20 min "scrubbing" the bathroom and wiping down all surfaces. I only had a small bottle of lysol and did not get far with it, but I did have more than enough lysol wipes. At that point I was done with that issue but we did complain about a/c and TV.
If anyone is interested, these are the scrubbers we bring. https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-scrub-singles-bathroom-pads/rain-clean/

The picture thing is wild. When I first saw it, I was overwhelmed, but then the kids started playing find the picture and really had a good time with it. Apparently they have much better eyes than we do. Unfortunately, we didn't find all of them. They have many in huge stacks that do not fit on the walls and we just did not have the patience. The bummer is that I have gotten used to digital pics and like having that copy. Also, they were more expensive. :sad:

I thought the Dream was dry docked recently too. I do not know. I have a feeling they are going to really gut and redo that ship because it seemed like they were holding out replacing things.

We are really looking forward to the breeze!

Nice review. The Dream was our very first cruise in 2012. Sad to read she is not up to par. If you have not been on Breeze yet you will love her (I hope). My favorite ship; still Dream class but post-Farcus! Also, it has the ropes course which is fun.
I can't wait to hear about your upcoming cruise! And your excursion to the ruins.

Unfortunately we did not complain about the cleanliness at guest services, but I did go on at length about it on the online survey they sent after the cruise. I know we should have complained. What happened is we got into the cabin and noticed issues right away. Our room steward showed up moments later and DH told him that the cabin really needed to be cleaned. He pointed out several issues and said our steward said it would be done right away after muster. We got on the ship kind of late, maybe around 3. So we thought he would seriously clean the room. Unfortunately, we were not in the cabin much until late and noticed then he had barely addressed the issues. He had wiped some of the "throw up type stuff" off but not all of it. I was just ready to get comfortable in the cabin and then spent about 20 min "scrubbing" the bathroom and wiping down all surfaces. I only had a small bottle of lysol and did not get far with it, but I did have more than enough lysol wipes. At that point I was done with that issue but we did complain about a/c and TV.
If anyone is interested, these are the scrubbers we bring. https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-scrub-singles-bathroom-pads/rain-clean/

The picture thing is wild. When I first saw it, I was overwhelmed, but then the kids started playing find the picture and really had a good time with it. Apparently they have much better eyes than we do. Unfortunately, we didn't find all of them. They have many in huge stacks that do not fit on the walls and we just did not have the patience. The bummer is that I have gotten used to digital pics and like having that copy. Also, they were more expensive. :sad:

I thought the Dream was dry docked recently too. I do not know. I have a feeling they are going to really gut and redo that ship because it seemed like they were holding out replacing things.

We are really looking forward to the breeze!

I hear that, if you are really unsatisfied ,whenever they have availability, they can get you a better cabin and/or at least deep clean it and send you a little gift later. Seems to me that it was not the most efficient steward... You shouldn't have to clean up your own cabin yourself but I understand why you felt the need to do it.

Third party review (my mom!) of the NCL Bliss. She just got back from a 7 night Alaskan cruise with 3 of her friends, so 4 women:

-Did not see many kids at all, but again this was Alaska in September.
-Ship was beautiful, very elegant but still felt casual. Colors were pretty blues, greys, whites, blacks. One of the prettiest ships she's been on. Very different than the bright Carnival colors.
-Buffet was huge and even though it was busy, it was laid out very well. Tons of different buffet lines so it never felt overly crowded.
-Food was very good in the dining rooms. She said there were 3 "included" dining rooms that were smaller and more intimate than the traditional large dining rooms we're used to.
-They ate at the steak house (extra fee) one night and said it was delicious.
-Spa and fitness rooms very nice.
-She raved about a lounge on the top deck that they spent a lot of time in. Floor to ceiling windows, oversized plush chairs, etc. Loved it.
-They had a mini-suite and the room was a great size. Said the bathrooms were enormous and they had plenty of room. The showers had jets!
-The crew was amazing, everyone was so nice and accommodating.
-Shows in the theater were great, they loved Jersey Boys.
-Said there were 2 pools on deck, but no one really used them. Lots of hot tubs.
-I asked about the atrium, and the Bliss (like most NCL ships I believe) does not have the typical CCL-type atrium. There was a huge crystal chandelier and a staircase, but not that huge open space feeling you get on a CCL ship.
-More bars/lounges than she could count!
-The Bliss does have laser tag and go-karts on the top decks. They didn't use either one, but she did comment that she has no idea why NCL thought either was a good idea, especially in Alaska. The go-karts especially take up a TON of room, the set up is pretty ugly, and it's a really low capacity "attraction." It's like someone took the Tomorrowland Speedway and stuck it on top of a cruise ship. **I'm sure if you have kids (or a DH who races cars like mine!), you might have a different opinion of this, but to her, the choice seemed really strange and the space could have been utilized much better**

She did mention a few weeks ago that NCL sent her an email saying she could bid on an upgrade, I assume a Haven suite. (Never heard of this before). She did not receive the upgrade, but she decided to talk to the Hotel Director on embarkation day to see if she could pay for an upgrade if the ship wasn't full. Well, the Haven ended up being fully booked, but he did end up offering them an additional inside cabin around the corner from their suite at no charge, which she thought was so nice of them. One of the women ended up staying in that room along with some of their luggage, so it worked out great.

Oh and a random fun thing, the carpets in the stateroom hallways have fish on them. The fish are always swimming towards the front of the ship so you know which way you're heading. Thought that was very cute and very Disney!

We've always been hesitant to book with NCL but she said they had a great time, the ship was overall great and Alaska was beautiful. Considering my mom is wayyyyy more of a warm weather, beach, Caribbean person, I'm happy to hear she loved it. So it sounds like the Bliss might be a great option for Alaska!

Thanks for such a fair and honest review. We were act considering the Dream instead of the Vista cruise that we booked over the weekend. I’m happy we didn’t book it.

The full time CD on the Dream is Chris Williams, “The Flying Scotsman,” he was on vacay for a bit andbis now on Vista will Matt Mitchum is on Vacay. I’m so bummed you missed having him as your CD, he’s awesome!

It certainly sound like you made the most of your cruise. Will you do us a favor and review your NCL cruise when you get back, I’d love to know how they compute CCL and DCL.

Yes, we did not have Chris Williams :(. You made the right choice with Vista! I am sure they will really redo the Dream at some point and it will be like a new ship. But until then... there are many others. We are on Ncl Thanksgiving 2019, so it will be a while unfortunately. We have been on NCL before and like them a lot, but our kids prefer CCL. To me, NCL has a slightly more adult vibe than CCL. The shows are better on NCL than CCL. Their buffet is amazing and very relaxing , less bustling feel than CCl. Like you see people reading a book sometimes in their buffet. They have a 24 hour free restaurant that feels like a bennigan's or chilis which is awesome, but they do not have as many quickservice food venues as Ccl. They have a crepe stand on top deck. Awesome. If you are willing to sleep 4 in a room they have 3rd and 4th guests sail free offers sometimes that make their pricing more affordable. But over the last couple of years it seems like their prices have gone up. We got a last minute sailaway deal 2 years ago for $499 per person, week long cruise, interior cabins. So you might be able to get good last minute deals. The other cruise we took on NCL, we kept rebooking it as better "sales" came along. We ended up with 3rd and 4th guest sail free, free gratuities and free extra dining. The current one we have booked, we have rebooked once when a "tax free" sale popped up. We have not seen a 3rd and 4th guest sail free on that one yet, but we are hoping.

One thing I love is just how truly different the cruise lines all seem to be. Like NCL really is very different from CCL and DCL. It would not be as fun if they were like Pepsi and coke.

I hear that, if you are really unsatisfied ,whenever they have availability, they can get you a better cabin and/or at least deep clean it and send you a little gift later. Seems to me that it was not the most efficient steward... You shouldn't have to clean up your own cabin yourself but I understand why you felt the need to do it.
I know you are right!!

Change, change, change!

Just when I thought that our Family trip to Aulani in 2020 (Me-DH-FIL & MIL) was pretty much a done deal...

My DH and MIL confessed to me that with the same budget, they would rather go on two to three cruises... One of them being a Bermuda cruise departing from NYC. They say that they are "hooked to cruising and can't see themselves doing anything else than cruising from now on".

The thing is: Hawaii has been my FIL's dream pretty much forever and the reason we planned this trip in the first place. DH and MIL now want to convince my FIL to do the cruises instead of Hawaii. I was down with it but when half of your party is not really into it anymore... I mean, what can you do... :confused3 Now, I'm waiting for them to break the news to him... (And I feel super bad)

...and currently watching for Bermuda openings in 2020. :surfweb:

Last edited:
The thing is: Hawaii has been my FIL's dream pretty much forever and the reason we planned this trip in the first place. DH and MIL now want to convince my FIL to do the cruises instead of Hawaii. I was down with it but when half of your party is not really into it anymore... I mean, what can you do... :confused3 Now, I'm waiting for them to break the news to him... (And I feel super bad)

Why not cruise Hawaii? Although I have heard the NCL POA isn't the best experience, but just use it as a floating hotel. At least then you could see all the islands. Oahu isn't the prettiest island by far, but it does have a lot to do there.

Why not cruise Hawaii? Although I have heard the NCL POA isn't the best experience, but just use it as a floating hotel. At least then you could see all the islands. Oahu isn't the prettiest island by far, but it does have a lot to do there.

The shortest cruises for Hawaii I have seen last 7 days + 2 to 3 days to travel there (we live on the east coast) = 10 days.

The problem is, because of our jobs and pets, we cannot leave for more than 7 days.

The shortest cruises for Hawaii I have seen last 7 days + 2 to 3 days to travel there (we live on the east coast) = 10 days.

The problem is, because of our jobs and pets, we cannot leave for more than 7 days.

I don't know the rest of your situation, but what you just said could be the beginning of a compromise. Hawaii in 1 week is REALLY tough. It takes almost a full day to get there and back, leaving only 5 days, and as others have said, there is so many different things to do and see on the different islands that "hopping" either by cruise ship or small planes is desirable. We have done more than one 2 week trip to those Islands and haven't seen it all yet.

So is there any chance that in a couple/few years, you could all generate more than one week's vacation in a row? If that were the case, your FIL might be willing to postpone Hawaii now, to do it justice later. If not, I guess you'll have to work it out some other way. All the best!

I don't know the rest of your situation, but what you just said could be the beginning of a compromise. Hawaii in 1 week is REALLY tough. It takes almost a full day to get there and back, leaving only 5 days, and as others have said, there is so many different things to do and see on the different islands that "hopping" either by cruise ship or small planes is desirable. We have done more than one 2 week trip to those Islands and haven't seen it all yet.

So is there any chance that in a couple/few years, you could all generate more than one week's vacation in a row? If that were the case, your FIL might be willing to postpone Hawaii now, to do it justice later. If not, I guess you'll have to work it out some other way. All the best!

The problem is my FIL & MIL are not getting any younger and are not in the best shape. My fear is that while the possibility could be there in the future, it's unlikely they will be able to travel that far.

I guess time will tell. We already have a cruise planned for 2019 so... We'll see how they feel after that.

The problem is my FIL & MIL are not getting any younger and are not in the best shape. My fear is that while the possibility could be there in the future, it's unlikely they will be able to travel that far.

I guess time will tell. We already have a cruise planned for 2019 so... We'll see how they feel after that.

Aging parents. I can relate. The good news is, whichever you choose, you will be spending precious time together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter