At a buffet, do you ever think to yourself "PIG"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jann1033 said:
personally i didn't take the op as meaning she necessarily did think that way, she was asking what others felt,,maybe she is self conscious about going up herself or just purely wondered, so no real need to be irate ( sou-i sou-i oink oink:rotfl: :rotfl: )

This is what I was thinking when I read it. It wasn't till I started moving down the thread that I saw that people were seeing it diffrently. :confused3

Now, Im am not a small girl. I may be short, but I have a size on me. So I am always thinking what people "might" be thinking when they see me eat. Does that stop me from making trips to the line if Im wanting something.....hell no. If im hunrgry and want something I go get it. I can care less what they think. I am always thinking about what may be going through their minds about whats on my plate or how many plates I got. But thats where it stops.

And of course, being a people watcher person that I am i do notice what people are getting on their plates and how many trips they are taking. Do I really care?......nope! Does it matter if they are male or female?.......nope! Am I worried about their size and the relation to the number of trips their are taking?.........nope!

And the whole "pigs in at trough/buffet" thing is pretty lame and very school kid mean. And its totally not necessary.

This has never really occurred to me. I usually go grab two plates fill them up and grab a third then I dish it out to my two kids. I go through this at least three times during the entire buffet. So I suppose one would think I am either stuffing the food in my pockets (Give me some of your tots,) or just really hungry. :rotfl2:

Hey, that is what vacation is for. :cool1:

Wish I lived in Fl said:
If people took a lot on their plates and didn't eat it it would bother me as a waste of food. I try not to take any more food than will be eaten.
Otherwise i mind my own business at Buffets.

Sometimes I see something on buffet that looks really good so, I load up. Of course, when I get back to table it is bad. I hate not eating it all but sure have done so in the past. I alway feel like everyone saw what I did and is ticked that I left that much but still go back for a new plate.

My thoughts are it's Disney and you're on vacation so eat as many plates as you want within reason. It's fun to get a little bit of each item or a hefty portion of your favorites. But after my last trip I say what I thought was piggish. At breakfast a little boy who looked no older than 10, walked right past our table with a plate that must have had at least 20 pieces of bacon and nothing else. As for being a pig, I think that has more to do with your table manners than how much is on your plate. Enjoy your food of course, but have some courtesy for those around you.

superdiz said:
In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

My question is this----What kind of question is this? I mean she asks a ? that she should have known was going to be offensive to more than 1 person and ppl are just like "I don't think she meant anything bad" well how is she meaning anything good? Honestly,think about it,how is asking ppl how many trips it takes to a buffet before they think someone is a PIG is acceptable?

If she had asked if anyone had ever had an uncomfortable experience at a buffet,that would be one thing but to ask ppl if they've ever thought someone was a pig is another! I'm sure that there are many Twiggy wannabes out there who order a glass of water and a piece of bread who think that anyone who puts more than 3 items on a plate is a pig but for the average person(the "average" female is now a size 12) 2 to 3 trips is not gluttony.

If the OP was not trying to be offensive I don't believe she did a very good job-Had she worded it differently her ? would have received honest feedback from ppl in a position to know best but all she did was perpetuate the feelings of hurt and embarrasment already felt by many people in just that situation.

I prefer 1 or 2 items of food on my plate, I don't like my food all mixed together, I like to savor what each food item taste like, not have the flavor of another food mixed into the food I'm eating.

Oink! Oink! I may return a lot of times and dirty lots of plates though.

I go up several times with my children. I think all parents of young children do. They don't like food touching, they end up not liking the item they picked, the want to go up just for 2 stawberries, etc.. I could go on and on. The only dinner buffet we do is Cape May Cafe. We do Crystal Palace and Donald's in AK for breakfast. I guess I'm so busy at these buffets, I never notice anyone else! :)

I never pay attention to how many times other diners are filling their plates, I'm too busy working on my own!!! :rotfl: Seriously, I don't really care how many trips someone else makes to the buffet line. I don't like to mix certain items on my plate,and I like to eat hot items while they are still hot, so I make lots of little trips. If someone is just sitting back watching everyone else eat and thinking "pig", oh well, that's their problem, not mine! :rotfl2:

NOLAminnie said:
My thoughts are it's Disney and you're on vacation so eat as many plates as you want within reason. It's fun to get a little bit of each item or a hefty portion of your favorites. But after my last trip I say what I thought was piggish. At breakfast a little boy who looked no older than 10, walked right past our table with a plate that must have had at least 20 pieces of bacon and nothing else. As for being a pig, I think that has more to do with your table manners than how much is on your plate. Enjoy your food of course, but have some courtesy for those around you.

Maybe he brought it back for the whole table?
Sometimes my family will do that- send one person up to get, say fruit or bacon or whatever, for the whole table to share- usually if we have eggs or pancakes or something on our plates we don't really want the other foods to touch.

Just a thought. :goodvibes

superdiz said:
In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

THankfully, in my all life I have never had such thoughts. Maybe becasue I have seen in the hurt and pain in one I loves eyes by others warped ideas of acceptable eating habits or appearance. To make such judgements is not one made with love or compassion. I do not participate and pray for those that make such appraisels of another human being.

I am truly sad for you that you have such shallow thinking. I may suggest another view in your dining, focus on the joy in your life. Is it not wonderful that you can lift your own fork, rather than use a feeding tube. Is it not wonderful that you can walk up to a buffet rather than wheel yourself there. Is it not wonderful you can see your food, the decor in the dining establishment because you have vision. Is it not wonderful you can hear the laughter of children??

Try thinking alittle more positively and your view of life may change. you only get out of life what you put in it! Imagine if you were struck down with an illness that would casue you to gain a ton of weight, I wonder how you would view life then??

For me everyone in this world is a wonderful creation with beauty for me to experience. Big tall short small round thin whatever, if you focus so much on someones appearance, how tragic for you. You may have allowed a wonderful person that could have brought great joy into your life pass you right by.......

By the way the most lovely woman in the world are our largests.. the preganant ones!!! Filled with life and all its promises.....and love to see them up at the buffets filling their bellies with good eats for their babies....

Maybe you can focus your attention on how people percieve your insides rather than your outsides...... Glad to know when I leave this place my God will not be asking .... so how much do you weigh ???

I have to agree that all moms are going to be tagged "PIG" if people are counting the number of trips to the buffet line! :rotfl:

I go up with DS to make sure he gets something besides mac & cheese, and when he finishes his first plate I go up with him again! In between I get my own food while DH sits with DS. Let's remember that a lot of the buffets are character meals, so you have to move fast. Linger at the food line, miss the photo op!

I have never paid any attention to how much food anybody else has or how many trips they make to the buffet line. I would prefer not to be at a table right in the line of traffic, either, so I wouldn't be very good at that game! For those of you who enjoy the "pig police" game, more power to ya'! ;)

I think I am more concerned about being seen as a pig than thinking others are pigs. For example...SO and I went to a chinese buffet near our house last week some time. It was later in the evening (8ish) and they didn't close till 10pm, that being said, there were not too many people in the restaurant. I think there were 4 booths including us with 2 people (man/woman couple) and one booth with couple and 2 small kids (we were all seated in a row along one wall, with our table being the first closest to the bar). One of my favorite items on the buffet is the sushi rolls, but the tray where they were located was empty upon our entrance and first trip up...I was disappointed, but told SO who was facing the bar to keep his eye out for replenishment. By the time I finished my first plate there was still no sushi...so I went up and got a little more of some other items. At this point SO had already been up twice as well. Right after I sat down they replenished the sushi :rolleyes: but I didn't want to look like a "pig" so I asked SO to go up for me. :blush: After all my concern with this I can honestly say I didn't notice what anyone else was eating or how many times they had gone up. I did however notice something else that made me think poor thoughts about someone else at the buffet. The last booth down had the family in it. The husband was going up to the bar and had to walk past the other 4 booths on his way. He pauses next to the second table back and then proceeds to have a loud conversation across the room to his wife about bills that he had paid that day. Goes something like this:

wife: (shouting at his from back of restaurant) "something something something...checking account"
husband: "yeah I paid the xxx bill today" (walks a little further, turns around and shouts back again) "oh and the insurance, I had that taken out of the account today" (turns away again to go to the bar, then turns back and shouts again) "oh no wait, I was having them take it out in installments...blah blah blah" (there was more, but you get the idea)

I personally think it is more disturbing to shout your personal financial business across 4 booths in a restaurant (which was quiet will only like 12 of us in it and low oriental background music, so EVERYONE heard his comments) than to go to the buffet for multiple plates.

the Fidge said:
THankfully, in my all life I have never had such thoughts. Maybe becasue I have seen in the hurt and pain in one I loves eyes by others warped ideas of acceptable eating habits or appearance. To make such judgements is not one made with love or compassion. I do not participate and pray for those that make such appraisels of another human being.

I am truly sad for you that you have such shallow thinking. I may suggest another view in your dining, focus on the joy in your life. Is it not wonderful that you can lift your own fork, rather than use a feeding tube. Is it not wonderful that you can walk up to a buffet rather than wheel yourself there. Is it not wonderful you can see your food, the decor in the dining establishment because you have vision. Is it not wonderful you can hear the laughter of children??

Try thinking alittle more positively and your view of life may change. you only get out of life what you put in it! Imagine if you were struck down with an illness that would casue you to gain a ton of weight, I wonder how you would view life then??

For me everyone in this world is a wonderful creation with beauty for me to experience. Big tall short small round thin whatever, if you focus so much on someones appearance, how tragic for you. You may have allowed a wonderful person that could have brought great joy into your life pass you right by.......

By the way the most lovely woman in the world are our largests.. the preganant ones!!! Filled with life and all its promises.....and love to see them up at the buffets filling their bellies with good eats for their babies....

Maybe you can focus your attention on how people percieve your insides rather than your outsides...... Glad to know when I leave this place my God will not be asking .... so how much do you weigh ???

Pregnant chicks are hot. As for the rest of your post, I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup2

NOLAminnie said:
But after my last trip I say what I thought was piggish. At breakfast a little boy who looked no older than 10, walked right past our table with a plate that must have had at least 20 pieces of bacon and nothing else.

You are killen me with this stuff, piggish/20 pieces of bacon. Get it. Hah. :lmao:

I may look like I'm going up 1-2 (or 5) times more than I should but my excuse is...I don't like my food to touch. If I pile it all on, then it would be touching and I can't have that. Also, when I'm at a buffet....I'm gonna GRUB and I don't care who notices or what they think about it. Besides, chances are I'll never see these flolks again...EVER.

It wasn't at Disney, but I was at a buffet one time where a woman was eating oysters on the half shell for the entire time DW and I were sitting across from her. While we had salads, entrees, second helpings, and desserts, she returned for a plate full of oysters numerous times. I was actually in awe :worship: She probably weighed 110 sopping wet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter