At a buffet, do you ever think to yourself "PIG"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jann1033 said:
just a question to all who are insulted by this question..i did you notice the line under her user name???? this is why i am thinking she is not trying to be rude here and since she only has a few posts, maybe not thinking how it could have come across???????( i could be totally off base but you know what they say about assumeing. sorry but i didn't feel like going all the way back and "quoting" the person who reamed me out for suggesting maybe OP isn't trying to be a creep ;) )

I was mainly the one who was insulted by her question and I still am! Yes i did notice the line under her sig but then many ppl have food related lines under their sig and I'm glad to say I haven't seen any of them comparing humans to animals in relation to food.

Had she come back to explain what her standing was in regards to that question I would feel better but she has yet to make a return appearance to clear up whatever misconception I may have had which leads me to believe that her question was put exactly as she meant it and thereby continues to be vile.

Jann in an earlier post you compared comments such as what the OP made as being equivalant to racial slurs and such. And spoke of how ppl who wouldn't make racial slurs feel no remorse for berating overweight ppl and how totally inconsiderate that is and I agree and THAT has been my main area of angst in reference to the Op.

I still stand by my earlier posts and hope that the OP is going to come back and clarify her meaning she was brazen enough to ask the question lets hope her bravada carries on and she comes back to explain.

TastefullyChris said:
Personally, I agree with many on this thread...I could care less who is making how many trips to the buffet line, as long as they are not wasteful and are not messy or "gross" (i.e. wiping their nose and then rooting around in the rolls! :crazy2: )

However, I did have a friend who was a recovering from anorexia. She was incredibly paranoid about food, portions, etc. One time we ordered a pizza and I put one slice on each of our plates. She insisted on switching plates with me because I inadvertantly gave her the larger piece! I told her she was being silly, but she got very panicky and tearful, so I switched!

There are people who have sooo many food issues and hang-ups. Perhaps the original poster asking the question is one of them. Most of us eat and enjoy it, but there are some who have a lot of emotion tied up with their eating. :confused3

So....for any of you out there who are self-conscious and worried about being judged for what you are eating...WE DON'T CARE! Enjoy yourself and your vacation!!! (Just be neat, please! :thumbsup2 )

Just read the whole thread and it's nice to know that most people really don't care what you're eating. I'm one who had a borderline eating disorder for a while and recovered. Still have the hangup of ALWAYS being concerned about what other people think of me in regards to food, though. I think if someone made the pigs at the trough comment while I was up getting food, I'd be spending several minutes crying in the bathroom. BUT, knowing that a lot of people (at least of those who posted here) are either too busy or too concerned about what other people are thinking of THEM that they don't pay attention to anyone else (I happen to be one of these) makes me feel a little better.

For the general public, stop and think before you make any kind of demeaning comments- whether you intend them that way or not. What is a funny joke for you could be ruining someone else's day.

[For the general public, stop and think before you make any kind of demeaning comments- whether you intend them that way or not. What is a funny joke for you could be ruining someone else's day.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Very well put!! :cool2:

DUH!

For awhile now, I kept looking at this thread and thought FOR SURE the OP must have meant....

"Do You Think Of YOURSELF As A Pig?":rotfl2: Moi? Of Course I do! Isn't that why buffets exist???????:teeth:

Otherwise, I cannot imagine what the OP even was thinkin'........

Or maybe she wasn't...

Just a thought that has occurred to me is one that I have heard here before.... please THINK before you post!!!!!!

melomouse

The reason I mentioned eating disorders and emotional baggage with food in my earlier post is that my initial response to the starting post of this thread was, "Hmm...this person sounds like they are concerned about what people will think of them if they let loose and enjoy the buffet!" I think that is what she was getting at, not "Boy, people sure can be pigs at buffets!"

I do agree though, that she should clarify her meaning. Most people would have defended themselves by now if their post were misinterpreted.

She hasn't been back online since she posted this thread. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. Most of us have outside lives and don't necessarily check the boards constantly. Her statements in THIS OTHER THREAD thread seem to indicate she loves to eat alot of food.

I was a flippin' pig last night. we took our daughter and her friend to a 'Chinese' buffet for dinner. we'd only gone there for lunch before. I couldn't help notice the plates and plates of crab legs and claws everyone had on their tables. when we got our bill it was $54.00 for 2 adults and 2 kids. :crazy2: I immediately proceeded to the crab line and attacked it, determined to get my 'money's worth'. we'll stick to that place for lunch only.

superdiz said:
In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

This is the OP's comment. I think it is clear what she meant. She is not by any means talking about herself. She clearly states about "another diner". Who cares what she thinks...if her life is that boring that she need pay attention to what others do then so be it! I do indeed think that people who might worry about what a stranger is eating really must have some deep issues in their lives. All I can say is I feel bad for her neighbors. :rotfl2:

To be honest i never look at what others eat. I myself do not like buffets but I do a breafast at 1900 park fare and Bomas.....I go up many times but just take a small amount each time, I don't car what people think about me, I enjoy it when I go :wave:

I've paid for an all you care to eat buffet, so I'll eat as much as I care to eat :confused3

Like I'm gonna worry about what Joe Nobody at the table next to me thinks? When am I ever going to see them again?!

Plus, my motto is: GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH!

(Luckily I'm only small and don't eat THAT much so there should be some buffet left for everyone else - otherwise I apologise to those dining at the Crystal Palace for lunch on August 7th...)

The one and only time I happened to notice unbecomming behavior at a buffet was at a local place where a gentleman who was seated alone proceeded to go up back and forth about 20 times. (no, I am not exagerating). He was taking everything from full overloaded plates of steamed clams to 1 foot high piles of crablegs.

Now comes the "piggy" part...... you wouldn't mind if he was EATING it all.

Instead he has eating only the "big" crablegs and throwing aside anything which appeared to small to him. (All I could thing about was the documentary on The Learning Channel or some other cable channel - where they showed the ship fishing for Alaskan King Crab Legs and the horrendus conditions the workers suffered, some even drowning!! Yikes ) Also he took about 25 pieces of some sort of sushi which had salmon wrapped around rice and proceeded to pull off the salmon and discard the rice into what became a little plate of rice clumps that was piled so high the waitress couldn't even carry it away from his table without it falling all over. (Oink, Oink, Oink)

By the way I only noticed this because this man happened to be seated about three feet ahead of us facing directly at our table. (I just want it to be known that I do not normally keep tabs on what other people are eating at the buffets) :)

I'm going to have to say that the OP wasn't trying to insult anyone, especially since she considers herself an "unoffical Disney foodie."

Since here we don't really have the "buffet concept", I only go to a buffet when I'm at Disney and/or the US. (At DLP, they also have the buffet concept) (oh, and I am excluidng breakfast buffets at hotels, because I consider that as regular breakfast)

Yes, I am a "pig" when at a buffet, speaking portions-wise.

Last buffet I went to: Cape Cod at Newport Beach Club hotel at DLRP on January 8, 2006 for dinner. I went two (or three?) times for appetizers (that ham! that salmon! and no way I put fish and meat on 1 plate!)
I went twice for entree (that roast! that fish!! and I still put those together on a plate)
We asked our waitress for another basket of bread (and butter! hmm, real butter!)
I went three times for dessert. No way I put cold and warm things together on a plate. And that raspberry-thing was sooooo good.

The other time I went to a buffet, was at DL, at the Plaza Inn, for breakfast with Minnie. I had omelet, bacon, ham, sausage, potatoes, etc etc etc and FOUR MICKEY WAFFLES! I felt sick during the rest of the day, but they were SO good!

Did I think about myself at a pig? Not really... Maybe the four waffles were a little exaggerated, but still...

I do believe in getting my money's worth!

And I still think that family sitting at the table next to us were pigs. When they left, the whole table and the whole floor under the table/ chairs was covered with food their children threw around. Now THAT is being a pig

PS: 4 waffles or not, I didn't gain any weight! One has to love the mile syou walk when being at Disney!

I also agree with when you make a huge mess, and then leave it for the servers/busboys to clean it up, then you are a pig, not for eating a lot at a buffet.

Wow, I am surprised that so many ppl took what the op asked and made it out to be mean and rude!

I am not exactly tiny, and I also have children. I try myself not to go to a buffet no more than 2-3 times (salad-dinner-dessert or getting something else because I didn't like what I had got) because I am always thinking someone is watching me, and thinks I am a PIG. No matter if I am going back up to get something for my DH, DD, or DS I feel as if I am going to break some unwritten law about to many time up to the buffet.

The op just asked a question...lighten up.

I don't pay attention to what other diners are eating. I'm too busy with my family to ever notice if someone has made too many visits to the buffet & if somehow it was brought to my attention, I wouldn't care either. Eat what you want!! :goodvibes

magicmouse2 said:
I often think to myself 'pig' when I go for my second and third plate of desserts. I still eat it all though. :cutie: if someone piles their plate - good for them if they can eat it all.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

yeah, that is so me! LOL I usually have 3 rounds of food THEN hit the desserts a couple of times... :teeth:

oh, but I now have my buffet eating down to a science, take small samples of everything...I don't waste nearly as much food now as I used to! lol

mmm...dessert...mmm...

I don't care what people eat when they are out to eat. I will take only one piece of meat and sit down and then go back. I might do this a couple of times. I do not want to take more than I will eat. Also the only time I pay attention is when I am sitting next to a big family, since it is only DH & I, and see the parents making trip after trip for the children. I think how great they are for caring so much and then I think will they ever going to get to eat themselves?

For all you parents out there I think you are great for everything you do. For putting your children and loved ones first you are the true magic in this world!

irishbosoxfan said:
Jann in an earlier post you compared comments such as what the OP made as being equivalant to racial slurs and such. And spoke of how ppl who wouldn't make racial slurs feel no remorse for berating overweight ppl and how totally inconsiderate that is and I agree and THAT has been my main area of angst in reference to the Op.

actually to clarify the above, I was referencing the posts a few above ( ie 16,17,31,34) when a few posted they were upset when people made rude comments to them or loved ones( like the pig at the trough comment ) that was not in reference to anything the op said.

TastefullyChris said:
The reason I mentioned eating disorders and emotional baggage with food in my earlier post is that my initial response to the starting post of this thread was, "Hmm...this person sounds like they are concerned about what people will think of them if they let loose and enjoy the buffet!" I think that is what she was getting at, not "Boy, people sure can be pigs at buffets!"

I do agree though, that she should clarify her meaning. Most people would have defended themselves by now if their post were misinterpreted.
I am not sure how it was meant but I interpreted it as OP viewing other diners as "pigs" and was looking for validation. I am not a skinny girl and was offended when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter