At a buffet, do you ever think to yourself "PIG"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdiz

Unofficial Disney Foodie - MOO
In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Odd questions but I'm intrigued... :wave:

**Edit to add in 2019 As I missed the complete craziness this became in 2006**

9/21/19 - So I’m back on here and looking into DVC and I looked into my history and found this gem.

I thought it was necessary to clarify and dig it up, not because I want to argue, but I had 0 clue how much this post would offend and I wanted to clarify and maybe open a discussion for others who have similar food struggles/issues.

I’ve always struggled with my weight. When I originally posted this I was at my thinnest, dieting like a fiend, and planning my wedding. We were going to Disney and to be honest I just wanted to eat it all on our honeymoon 😂😂. I have always had a hang up about my body and at that time I had lost 50 lbs and still felt fat in a size 8. I was and still am VERY uncomfortable and self conscious at buffets. I felt/feel like people are looking at what I’m eating and thinking I’m a pig each time I go up.

I shared that thought with my fiancée at the time, now husband, and he sayid people don’t give a fudge what you are doing on vacation at a buffet, they are focused on themselves.

I came here to see what people thought. I tried to make it light and keep my personal issues out if it but I see it hit a chord. For that I apologize.

Another reason why I felt the need to comment again- I still feel this way (self conscious at a buffet) and love that my husband was right!

Also, thanks to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt :)

Are you self conscious in the buffet line, too?

Last edited:
personally, i don't usually notice who went up when/how often unless it's someone i'm with . i go up tons of times in a buffet cause i am neurotic about hot things being hot. so i get soup, then salad, then entree so that's 3 times there already. so maybe someone might think i'm being a pig but I'm not .

now if someone walked by with a heaping pile of mushed together garbagey looking food, i'd think "YIkes" just simply cause i can't stand it when stuff is all gross then they are going to eat it, no matter age sex or whatever.

Since i like to try little bits of everything i go up mulitple times but i'm not taking huge amounts of any one thing. I am more concerned with myself and the people I am with rather then what everyone else is doing or eating. I could care less how my trips someone goes up to the buffet. :confused3

I usually go 3 times...Once for my dinner food, once for salad, and once for dessert.

I do what Grumpy C. Hook does too. I would feel embarrassed if I wasted a lot of food. This is the reason why I take little portions at a time and sample.
So some people might think I'm pigging out, but I know I'm not and that's the only thing that matters. :goodvibes

superdiz said:
In reference to another diner that you've seen go up once or twice before? How many times to they have to go up before you think it? Does it make a difference if they are male or female?

Hmmm.....that's not too nice. :worried: I don't usually pay ANY attention to what the other people are doing. Hey, we're on vacation!!!! Eat all you want! :teeth: I don't know if YOU actually do that, but here's my thing....

I go up over and over and over and over again because I have a visually impaired little girl and I need to help her make and carry her plate to the table and then I can do my own. I also have a 6 yr old, so I go up with her too. Gosh. I may go back and forth with plates 3 or 4 times before I can get my own!! Now I have to be concerned that some nasty bugger with think "Pig" when I finally get my turn to help myself. :(

People should THINK before they think nasty stuff (on any subject). :confused3 Just my two cents on it.

Lives4Disney :sunny:

Aw, Lives4Disney, I wouldn't be too concerned! I really don't think anyone pays much attention to how many times people visit the buffet lines.. or at least I really hope not!

I'm more concerned on getting my food to the table w/o dropping my plate and eating it once I sit down to bother to notice what anyone else is doing!

superdiz said:

#1 I try my hardest to not be judgemental of others. Like most I am not always successful but I certainly make huge efforts to be understanding and not look for the negative.

#2 While on vacation I focus on myself and my family. Unless it was somebody I was eating with, there's no way I would want or would need to know how many times anybody else in the restaurant got up for a plate a food.

#3 I honestly hope there aren't people on here that go to buffets and keep track of what other people are eating and then make snap judgements about that person.

It would be rude if anyone worried how much others were eating! Who cares? If my kids want to try different foods, I tell them to take a little. If they like it, they can go back for more. Last time I was at Goofy's Kitchen in DL, I ate until I was full and it was goooooooooooood! :wave:

I guess I would only think that about someone else if I saw a person take a ton of X item on the buffet table, like half the mashed potatoes. But I wouldn't really care, it's not like that's all there is in the restaurant and there won't be any potatoes for me.

Really, at a buffet I'm too busy stuffing myself piggishly to notice if anyone's going up for their 15th helping of dessert. Besides, at WDW we're all on vacation--calories don't count! ;)

I often think to myself 'pig' when I go for my second and third plate of desserts. I still eat it all though. :cutie: if someone piles their plate - good for them if they can eat it all.

Laura said:
Besides, at WDW we're all on vacation--calories don't count! ;)

Haha, I wish, tell my scale that :eek: I guess the calories count since I do live here. :(

I always worry about what people think of me when I'm eating out, but I don't eat abnormally. I'm just overly self conscious. And I think I'm too busy worrying about what others are thinking of me to worry about anyone else!

Lives4Disney said:
Hmmm.....that's not too nice. :worried: I don't usually pay ANY attention to what the other people are doing. Hey, we're on vacation!!!! Eat all you want! :teeth: I don't know if YOU actually do that, but here's my thing....

I go up over and over and over and over again because I have a visually impaired little girl and I need to help her make and carry her plate to the table and then I can do my own. I also have a 6 yr old, so I go up with her too. Gosh. I may go back and forth with plates 3 or 4 times before I can get my own!! Now I have to be concerned that some nasty bugger with think "Pig" when I finally get my turn to help myself. :(

People should THINK before they think nasty stuff (on any subject). :confused3 Just my two cents on it.

Lives4Disney :sunny:
I must look like a huge pig as well. I have 4 little boys and I take them up separately (easier this way) 3-4 times each. Once for fruit and salad because I want them to have something healthy to start then main food and then dessert sometimes for some more of something new they tried and liked. So I go up to the buffet 12 times minimum with my sons and 3 times for me. :eek: At Goofy's Kitchen in DL I must have looked like a hog. :scared: Obviously since I'm so busy, I have no time to worry about what others are eating or how much. ;)

People like the Op make me mad!-There I said it--I mean honestly whose place it to think anything about someone they don't know or maybe "think" they know--My mom is a big lady not in thanks to her appetite but because of having thyroid disease--and because of this and ppl like the Op she hates going to a buffet restaurants

I don't know how many times we have gone to a buffet and theres always some smart*ss there to make some sort of crude comment----and for those who do dont think the person doesnt know--the snickering and nudging your buddies at the table and the little chin lift that says "check that out" is a dead give away.

To Each Is Own---If you dont want to see someone make more than one trip to the buffet ask for a table where you dont have to see it but dont sit there and ruin someone elses night out because your parents didnt teach you respect or manners

Funny you asked cause I tend to think of ppl in line at buffet as pigs at a trough. Just the idea of everyone pushin and shoving to get their share sometimes when the line is crowded. Not so much at disney buffets but other buffets.

I tend to buffets as a rule as I always eat to much. I don't worry to much about what others are eating.

It's funny sometimes to walk by a buffet line and say YOU all look like a bunch of pigs at the trough tho. Females usually hates the comment males laugh. By the way I do wear a friendly smile when I say it and mean it in a good not in a bad way.

I don't pay attention to other diners. I try not to judge anyone. Anyway, I'm too busy going up 10 or 12 times filling plates for children and myself. :rotfl: Matter of fact, at a buffet I tell the kids to eat up...it's usually our lunch and supper! :rotfl2:

personally i didn't take the op as meaning she necessarily did think that way, she was asking what others felt,,maybe she is self conscious about going up herself or just purely wondered, so no real need to be irate ( sou-i sou-i oink oink:rotfl: :rotfl: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter