April 2018 Check-In

Hi everyone. We will be going the 27th-29th (two nights). Do you know if it will be possible to see Paint the Night, Fantasmic, AND the fireworks?
You can see PTN one night and then the second night, fireworks play after Fantasmic!.

Will we be able to get a good spot after Fantasmic though? I've heard the times somewhat overlap
They play the music and some of the projections where Fantasmic takes place. You won’t be able to see some of the lower fireworks or Buzz flying but you’d probably have to camp out for hours to have a good spot for that and it just wouldn’t be worth it on a two day trip.

They play the music and some of the projections where Fantasmic takes place. You won’t be able to see some of the lower fireworks or Buzz flying but you’d probably have to camp out for hours to have a good spot for that and it just wouldn’t be worth it on a two day trip.
Is there a possibility of doing fireworks the night of Paint the Night? It doesn't look like times have been released yet as far as I can tell.

I'll be there for Dapper Days weekend! In the parks only on Saturday, 4/21.
It will be my DH and my first trip with just the two of us! We just took our five kids in the beginning of February.
I had my heart set on getting the DD discount for the Disneyland Hotel because I've never stayed on property. But when I called yesterday morning, they were sold out of those rooms. :( So we'll be staying at the Anaheim Hilton. The walk is a little longer than I'd like, so we'll either Uber or take the Toy Story shuttle.
It will be a very short trip, but I am so excited!

We are going to Shanghai for 11 days, then hitting DLR for a few days (park days 4/12-4/14) before we go home. I have been so cocoon planning the China portion of our trip, I am only now starting to look at DLR. so, I just went back and read several pages of this thread, and I’m so glad I did.

I'm super bummed that WOC won't be showing end of April. At least I never saw F! or PTN so I hope I will enjoy them! I plan on booking BB F! pkg and PTN dessert party.

I, too, am really disappointed to (potentially) miss out on WoC and was looking forward to the dessert party viewing. I AM excited for our kids to see PTN, but like a PP stated, I don’t like being the guinea pig for a new event/show/parade. I’m so conflicted as to whether we should do the dining package or not. Especially if you have to still line up early to get a good view, similar to what I read about WoC. And sometimes when it’s a new event, the CMs aren’t always confident about procedures, themselves.

As for F!, when DH and I went in 2013(?), I think we only had FPs, but we were SO frustrated with the viewing. Very different experience than the “stadium” at WDW. I probably only saw about 1/2 of the show because of the people standing around me (I’m on the shorter side). That really left a bad taste in my mouth. So, I haven’t even looked into a dining package for that.

I am starting to get a little stressed now because I feel like I am really behind in planning for this. But then I remember, DH and I had NO plan when we went before and we still had a wonderful time...I think that is the beauty of DLR - I know it can be more crowded, but I think the crowds themselves are much more relaxed and laid back.

We are going on our first trip to Disneyland - myself and adult DD. We are staying at the Camelot Inn from April 14th to 21st. It's a birthday trip so we weren't flexible on the dates.

We have tickets for 4 park days (no hopping!). We will do Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Not renting a car but using Karmel shuttle back and forth from LAX.

We want to spend a day (probably Sunday) at Huntington Beach and another day midweek (Wednesday or Thursday) at the Griffith Observatory (and area using public transit once we get to the city). Using Uber to get around.

I am patiently waiting for events/entertainment to be updated for our whole week before I make plans. We are interested in seeing any parades or nighttime extravaganzas - Fantasmic!

This is all new to us so we are open to adventure and happy about just being in Disneyland!

Hi Everyone!

We're counting down the days 'til our Disneyland Vacation, April 23 - 27. It's our first trip & first time returning to DL in nearly 5 years. Last time we went was May '12! We were still living in AZ then, so took advantage of the proximity to go a couple times a year. Now we're in MI & it's a much different story! Everyone thinks we're nuts not to go to WDW instead but we can't help it - DL has our hearts.

Plan is to drive to Chicago 4/20, deep dish pizza at Gino's East for dinner, spend the night. 4/21 we'll be in the city. Breakfast at Lou Mitchell's, visit the Art Institute, walk along Mag Mile & stop at the Disney Store there if we have time.

Flight departs O'Hare @ 9:15 pm. Arrives LAX 12:21 am. Praying our kids, 8 & 10, will be able to sleep some on the flight. Spending the night in L.A. but unsure what plan for Sunday will be...

If POC closes 4/23 for refurb, we'll visit the park 4/22 in order to ride it, then go 4/23 - 4/25, skip Thurs. 4/26, return Fri. 4/27 for our final day (have 5 Day Hoppers).

If Thurs. is our skip day, we'll sleep in a little, visit Downtown Disney, have lunch at Trader Sam's (never been there, not sure DH even knows it exists so will be fun surprise). Then travel back to L.A. for dinner with friends.

If POC is open beyond 4/22, plan is to get spend part of Sunday in L.A. instead. Meet friends for brunch & hit up the Getty for a quick visit. We'll drive to Anaheim in the late afternoon, check into the hotel (Days Inn & Suites Garden Grove), Cheesecake Factory at Anaheim Garden Walk for dinner, & Mon. 4/23 will be our first day at DL instead (have professional family photos scheduled in the park on Monday, too). We'd do the park 4/23 - 4/27.

The thing we're most excited about for this trip is it will be the FIRST time our kids are old enough/tall enough to do EVERYTHING, so it's the FIRST time we'll get to experience many of the rides as a family. Feels so momentous!! Seriously cannot wait to experience Indiana Jones with them...

Just so excited for everything... Eating corndogs from the Little Red Wagon, smelling the warm perfume of churros in the air, seeing the kids faces when they meet their favorite characters again, watching the fireworks over the castle, riding my favorite rides (Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, HM, BTMRR, POC, Splash, Indiana Jones), glimpsing the light burning in the window of Walt's apartment, tossing pennies into Snow White's wishing well, hearing the music as we stroll hand-in-hand down Main St....

April can't come fast enough!

Last edited:
I'm planning a trip to DL in April and will have 4 or 5 days for the parks. I want to see both the PTN parade as well as Fantasmic and the fireworks. If I have to choose one dining package, can I have your comments as to which one you would pick? Also, a PP above mentioned the overlap of the fireworks after Fantasmic. Is it smarter to see Fantasmic and the fireworks on separate nights? I could do that with the park time I have.
TIA.

I'm planning a trip to DL in April and will have 4 or 5 days for the parks. I want to see both the PTN parade as well as Fantasmic and the fireworks. If I have to choose one dining package, can I have your comments as to which one you would pick? Also, a PP above mentioned the overlap of the fireworks after Fantasmic. Is it smarter to see Fantasmic and the fireworks on separate nights? I could do that with the park time I have.
TIA.

Personally, I'd do the Blue Bayou dining package, and reserve an early dining time to ensure you get the 1st Fantasmic showing, then stay in place to watch the fireworks. Apparently it's not the ideal viewing spot for the fireworks but they do the projections over Rivers of America. The PtN parade is quite a long route so you should be able to get a decent spot without having to invest too much time or purchasing a dining package.

I'm following my own advice and have booked the F! pkg at Blue Bayou for a 4:20 dining time. I might try to change it to a bit later giving the time but it is also important to me that I get a waterside table so my thinking is the earlier the better. Because fireworks are never a guarantee I have booked my package for the Friday of my stay, giving me Saturday as a back up if the weather doesn't permit.

HTH!

Personally, I'd do the Blue Bayou dining package, and reserve an early dining time to ensure you get the 1st Fantasmic showing, then stay in place to watch the fireworks. Apparently it's not the ideal viewing spot for the fireworks but they do the projections over Rivers of America. The PtN parade is quite a long route so you should be able to get a decent spot without having to invest too much time or purchasing a dining package.

I'm following my own advice and have booked the F! pkg at Blue Bayou for a 4:20 dining time. I might try to change it to a bit later giving the time but it is also important to me that I get a waterside table so my thinking is the earlier the better. Because fireworks are never a guarantee I have booked my package for the Friday of my stay, giving me Saturday as a back up if the weather doesn't permit.

HTH!
Thanks so much for these thoughts and tips! I will look into the BB dining package.
I'll welcome other comments.

I booked the lunch pkg at Wine Country Trattoria for PtN on our first day in the park (Wednesday April 25) and Blue Bayou F! pkg (1st show) at 6pm on Friday April 27).

I am waiting for reports on PTN route and view before cancelling that package.

I also plan on watching the fireworks on Thursday evening with Friday as a backup (on Friday we will watch them from F! location).

TIA.

Thanks for asking this question because I was wondering the same about the dining packages. And @sweethannah thanks for your reply! At the moment, we’ve booked a F! dining package at the Riverbelle Terrace. As a family of 5, BB is just a bit pricey :eek: , but more importantly, I don’t think two of my boys would be very excited about the menu. And if I’m having to pay adult prices, I want my kids to actually eat the food!

Thanks so much for these thoughts and tips! I will look into the BB dining package.
I'll welcome other comments.
:wave:
We are thinking of the Blue Bayou package too, now I’m hearing POTC will be down? But guess it won’t affect restaurant. I’m just disappointed because my daughter is coming with and this is her first time at DL, so I wanted her to see this version. Different than WDW one.

:wave:
We are thinking of the Blue Bayou package too, now I’m hearing POTC will be down? But guess it won’t affect restaurant. I’m just disappointed because my daughter is coming with and this is her first time at DL, so I wanted her to see this version. Different than WDW one.
I didn't know you guys were going to DL?!? Are you sure POTC will be down when you are there? I thought I read a thread that indicated it would be in the summer?

Kind of last minute Disneyland day trip. Which day between April 1-3 do people think would be the best?

I didn't know you guys were going to DL?!? Are you sure POTC will be down when you are there? I thought I read a thread that indicated it would be in the summer?
Yup we are 4/29-5/5. Going with youngest DD. Who is 28! She’s on a break from school. Regular term ends but she’s decided to take a full load for summer too, so she can have a lighter load for her last year.
Then other daughter coming with me for Aug/Sept WL trip!
DD is very excited we’ll be in DL for May 4 Starwars Day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter