April 2018 Check-In

... So, for now, I’m telling myself to be content with “just” the reserved viewing area...

Which reserved area will you be in -- CCR or WCT? The Dessert Party is really fun, but we've seen WOC with free FPs, from the reserved dining areas, and from the Dessert Party area, and there is good viewing available in all these areas. With the exception of the Dessert Party (and even that comes with the risk of obstructed views), how good your view is depends greatly on how much time you are willing to invest in researching, planning, and waiting for your spots. Even in the free FP areas, when we've put in the wait time for the spots we know we want, we've had really good views of the show.
Since everyone in your group is old enough to help with holding spots, you should be able to invest plenty of time by taking turns to get the spots you want. (Since you'll be viewing on 4/12, the last night before WOC goes down for refurb, be prepared to invest extra wait time -- I'd give it at least 2 hours, if not a bit more, for prime spots at a rail.) If you haven't already read this thread, study the first post to see where you want to be in the viewing area (choose your top 3 spots). Then on your WOC day, go to Paradise Bay earlier in the day to familiarize yourself with the viewing area, to scope out your spots, and to see how the view of the water is from there (too close? too far?). Then, know when to line up and where, and be ready to go when CMs start the line. If your first spot is taken when you get to your area, move immediately to spot 2, etc. Don't waste time looking around -- spots will disappear in the meantime. Good luck and enjoy the show!

Last edited:
Which reserved area will you be in -- CCR or WCT? The Dessert Party is really fun, but we've seen WOC with free FPs, from the reserved dining areas, and from the Dessert Party area, and there is good viewing available in all these areas. With the exception of the Dessert Party (and even that comes with the risk of obstructed views), how good your view is depends greatly on how much time you are willing to invest in researching, planning, and waiting for your spots. Even in the free FP areas, when we've put in the wait time for the spots we know we want, we've had really good views of the show.
Since everyone in your group is old enough to help with holding spots, you should be able to invest plenty of time by taking turns to get the spots you want. (Since you'll be viewing on 4/12, the last night before WOC goes down for refurb, be prepared to invest extra wait time -- I'd give it at least 2 hours, if not a bit more, for prime spots at a rail.) If you haven't already read this thread, study the first post to see where you want to be in the viewing area (choose your top 3 spots). Then on your WOC day, go to Paradise Bay earlier in the day to familiarize yourself with the viewing area, to scope out your spots, and to see how the view of the water is from there (too close? too far?). Then, know when to line up and where, and be ready to go when CMs start the line. If your first spot is taken when you get to your area, move immediately to spot 2, etc. Don't waste time looking around -- spots will disappear in the meantime. Good luck and enjoy the show!

Thanks for all the advice, and I have read over the WoC Superthread 1st post several times...I chose CCR but I’m honestly not tied to eating there. I think it seemed like the kids would like the menu items more there.

To me, as in anything in life, there is a trade-off between time and money, right? With getting the dining package, we’ll be paying both ways - the cost of the meal and the time to eat a sit-down meal and time to line up and reserve our spots (2 hours :faint:). DH and I had *such* a bad experience with our FPs when we went the first time; I am definitely aversive to that. Right now, the dessert party is sold out on Thursday, but not Wednesday night - which *could* be a possibility. I wonder what Wednesday night with just FP would be like?

... Right now, the dessert party is sold out on Thursday, but not Wednesday night - which *could* be a possibility. I wonder what Wednesday night with just FP would be like?
With free FPs, we've found that the minimum time investment is 90 minutes. Add more time for more crowded days and/or if more importance is placed on the quality of the view. If your first experience with free FPs was poor, then it might be worth doing the Dessert Party, even though it is pricey. The Dessert Party gives you a chair (!), the least wait time, and the best chance at a good to great view. You would probably still need to invest about 30-45 minutes wait time, but that's minimal compared to the other options. I would be tempted to book the Dessert Party now because you have until 24 hours beforehand to cancel with a full refund if you change your mind. In the meantime, you could keep checking to see if reservations open up for the party on the Thursday. If they do, you could move your reservation at that time.

With free FPs, we've found that the minimum time investment is 90 minutes. Add more time for more crowded days and/or if more importance is placed on the quality of the view. If your first experience with free FPs was poor, then it might be worth doing the Dessert Party, even though it is pricey. The Dessert Party gives you a chair (!), the least wait time, and the best chance at a good to great view. You would probably still need to invest about 30-45 minutes wait time, but that's minimal compared to the other options. I would be tempted to book the Dessert Party now because you have until 24 hours beforehand to cancel with a full refund if you change your mind. In the meantime, you could keep checking to see if reservations open up for the party on the Thursday. If they do, you could move your reservation at that time.

Oooooh - you’re not helping! :rotfl:

Party of 3 for Dapper Weekend (April 20-23rd) at the DLH with the amazing Dapper Day rates! We are saving 47% off of rack rate. We have a great weekend planned with the Sonoma Terrace PTN reception, The VOID (Star Wars VR at Downtown Disney) and F! RBT premium viewing. WOC is on refurb over our weekend. I hope to see everyone in their Disney/Vintage finest on the 22nd. My son and each have nearly matching straw boaters (Dapper Dans'esque) and my wife will be in a Minnie inspired dress.

Mike

We are also a party of 3 for Dapper Weekend. We went last year and just had to make it another girls' weekend...woohoo!!! Apr. 21-Apr. 23 staying at PPH. We're doing Afternoon Tea at DLH (we had a blast having cocktails before hand at Trader Sam's and then walking into the prim and proper tea), the Dapper Expo, The VOID and PTN dinner at Wine Country for the two who have not seen it. Now I just have to figure out what shoes/sandals that will get me through the 16 hour day...we are still feeling the effects on our feet from last year. LOL

1st solo trip (on my bucket list of course). Husband was gone for 6 weeks for army, leaving me with a 2yr old & a full time job (props to all the single mommas out there! It is hard work raising a tiny human in your own!). I’ll be there for 3 days, not sharing my food with anyone or wiping boogies or negotiating how many bites of spinach to eat before being excused from dinner! Yaaaaaa!!!!

Last edited:
Unfortunate April update for us -- we booked the Sonoma Terrace Paint the Night Reception for April 15 (our last night there) and last week I got a call from a CM who said it was a computer error and the party isn't happening until later that week... We're getting a refund because it's just cast member previews the weekend we're there. Not gonna lie, we're a little bummed. We've seen Paint the Night but thought this would be a fun addition. Guess not!

I haven't heard this and I have reservations for April 16!

I haven't heard this and I have reservations for April 16!

I have them for the 16th as well. I think just April 13-15 are the cast previews. I was online the morning the party went live for booking, and the weekend was never bookable. I think the OP just ended up reserving that date on a glitch. April 16 was open to guests for a couple weeks before it sold out.

Two weeks until we leave! I've got so much to do before then ( Life, just lifing all over the place) that I keep forgetting we're going! I probably need that vacation.

I have them for the 16th as well. I think just April 13-15 are the cast previews. I was online the morning the party went live for booking, and the weekend was never bookable. I think the OP just ended up reserving that date on a glitch. April 16 was open to guests for a couple weeks before it sold out.
That's what I heard too -- bummer for us since we're leaving the morning of the 16th. Oh well - we still get to see Pixar Fest and the debut of the new fireworks show. Down to 12 days - can't wait!

We will be there for one day on 4/9. Hoping the spring break crowds are done by then but any insight on that from locals? Looking forward to visiting for the first time in 7 years.

Getting closer! Bought our tickets last night on the Target website (5% off with the red card) and they are loaded onto my Disneyland app

We will be there for one day on 4/9. Hoping the spring break crowds are done by then but any insight on that from locals? Looking forward to visiting for the first time in 7 years.
I am not a local, but am from NorCal with a Deluxe AP. We manage to do 3-4 trips a year. Unfortunately, I have noticed that Mondays seem to be very busy (although let's face it, nowadays crowds are never really low unless it's raining).

I would say to definitely try to be there 30 minutes prior to openining and utilize those morning hours as much as possible. Maxpass will be your best friend and will help out immensely in knocking out the headliners in the morning hours. If you are at a point where you can't book a FP through Maxpass I like doing offpeak type attractions - like the Tiki Room, Moments with Mr. Lincoln, or Tom Sawyer Island. Just keep booking those fastpasses until you can't anymore.

Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter