April 2018 Check-In

Anyone else thinking of doing Walking in Walt's footstep at the end of April? I think I will book the 9:30am tour on Friday April 27th as I will be by myself that day while DH goes surfing!

We were looking at that very tour. DH is thinking it won't tell him anything he doesn't already know though.

We can start booking dining tomorrow. Carnation Cafe for lunch day 1, open for dinner, Carthay for lunch day 2, unsure for dinner, maybe the new dessert party but more likely we'll just wander round snacking..., lunch at Blue Bayou on our final day, half day as we're driving up to LA in the afternoon (tips on time to leave? I imagine traffic might be bad on a Friday afternoon? We're staying near the Beverly Centre and have no plans til Hollywood Improv at 9pm)

I also plan some breakfast at Red Rose, Ralph Brennans and not sure about the day we will start in DCA. We also have Bengal BBQ, Cozy Cones, dole whip and corn dogs (for DH) on the to do list. I want to get a cake at Jolly Holiday, never been there!

I'm super bummed that WOC won't be showing end of April. At least I never saw F! or PTN so I hope I will enjoy them! I plan on booking BB F! pkg and PTN dessert party.

Honestly don't stress -- I could be in the minority here but WOC is overrated if you ask me. Of course it's all relative -- if you put WOC at my local amusement park it would be the best thing ever, but compared to F! I find it much less inspirational. We saw it twice in its original form, once for the 50th, and one more recently - I enjoyed the 50th most, but basically it's a lot of film clips and cool water effects. We also have had super annoying people behind us twice - maybe it's the alcohol availability, but we had groups of people talk (loudly) through the entire show, even when we paid for the dining package. Annoying.

On the other hand, I have seen F! more than I can count and we're still ponying up a lot of cash to get the BB package and a "front row" seat. We've done the dessert package as well as the stand-here-for-an-hour-to-get-a-good-spot plan and it's always worth it.

I also loved PTN when we saw it during the 50th -- a great combo of technology and nostalgia. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the dessert party -- we didn't sign up for that on this trip (but we did spring for tea at Steakhouse 55 so that's fun!). I know you'll have a great trip - again, don't let WOC get you down; focus on everything amazing!!

I'm working out the details to go to Disneyland on April 16-18 with two of my kids (10, 12) The 16 yo and the hubby don't want to go ( :sad2: ) . We would arrive on the 15th, then on the 19th we'll head to the ocean, spend the 20th at Harry Potter world, then fly home on the 21st.

I'm debating whether to get a Good Neighbor Hotel, or try an AirBnB a little farther our since we plan to use Lyft to get around anyway.

I'm sure you'll be fine with either option, but you might consider a Good Neighbor hotel within walking distance -- there are some good bargains and it makes getting around easy. We like the Best Western Park Place Inn -- right across from the main entrance. Just a thought :)

As March draws closer I am getiing more and more excited! C'mon April! I think I am driving DH crazy with my constant comments or questions about our trip, or maybe he's used to it by now. He loves Disneyland too, but he's more of the 'non-planner, I'll get excited when I get there' type of person. We are usually not parade people, but I've never seen PtN, so we may try for that. Since it's at DCA I am not convinced a dining package will be necessary. It'll be weird going this trip and not riding Screamin' (ugh, Incredicoaster) over and over again. Super excited to be at my happy place either way though! :goodvibes

I'm with you - counting the days!! I will definitely miss California Screamin', but it looks like Splash will be back online around April 14 so that's a bonus. PtN is pretty cool and we'll definitely stake out a spot for that. I'm like you - my DH is along for the ride and has a great time, but I'm the one with the spread sheet!!

I can't wait for more information about the entertainment schedule for after the 14th. :D I had hoped to be booking my F! pkg any day now but no luck :(
All the changes over at DCA have me a little nervous too even though it is exciting to hear about some of the new entertainment/dining package options and maybe (fingers crossed) Cove Bar will be open for April!!!
We aren't usually 'parade people' as the crowds and wait time to get a good spot really puts us off however reading about the length of the parade route and wider streets in CA could mean it might be a bit less crazy to find a spot.
Hopefully. Maybe. :laughing: And maybe they'll have it every night as there is no WOC. :goodvibes

I like the idea of the Sonoma Terrace PtN dessert pkg but I don't really want to book without hearing about other experiences first. I've never been the guinea pig, I rely on the more experienced DISers to do that job! :p

I had trouble booking the F! package online but I called and was able to do it on the phone (for Blue Bayou). I tried for April 15th and was told that date "wasn't released yet," but I was able to book for the 13th so I went for it. That was over a week ago - not sure if they've released more dates or not.

What are your favorite meals or treats? The ones that you HAVE to get each and every time.. We're trying to figure out our "top" lists - rides, treats, ect.

I feel like we need some sort of game plan so we don't feel overwhelmed if it's super busy while we are there :)

Last night we checked out a couple Disneyland youtubers and some ride videos. Getting excited!

I feel like there's great food around every corner in Disneyland! Anything from Bengal Barbecue is awesome, Carsland has some amazing treats, and the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is fabulous. Just getting started!

Honestly don't stress -- I could be in the minority here but WOC is overrated if you ask me. Of course it's all relative -- if you put WOC at my local amusement park it would be the best thing ever, but compared to F! I find it much less inspirational. We saw it twice in its original form, once for the 50th, and one more recently - I enjoyed the 50th most, but basically it's a lot of film clips and cool water effects. We also have had super annoying people behind us twice - maybe it's the alcohol availability, but we had groups of people talk (loudly) through the entire show, even when we paid for the dining package. Annoying.

On the other hand, I have seen F! more than I can count and we're still ponying up a lot of cash to get the BB package and a "front row" seat. We've done the dessert package as well as the stand-here-for-an-hour-to-get-a-good-spot plan and it's always worth it.

I also loved PTN when we saw it during the 50th -- a great combo of technology and nostalgia. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the dessert party -- we didn't sign up for that on this trip (but we did spring for tea at Steakhouse 55 so that's fun!). I know you'll have a great trip - again, don't let WOC get you down; focus on everything amazing!!

Thank you!

At the end I booked the dining bkg at Wine Country Trattoria for PTN. I am dairy-free so I won't be able to enjoy most of the desserts AND the cheeses at the PTN dessert party and I liked the menu at WCT better than the one at CC.

This morning I logged it at 7am EST and couldn't find any reservation at Cafe Orleans for April 26 between 4:50-6:40pm for 2. I chose 6:40pm but found it odd since there was 6pm availabilities at all the other restaurants!!

... At the end I booked the dining bkg at Wine Country Trattoria for PTN. I am dairy-free so I won't be able to enjoy most of the desserts AND the cheeses at the PTN dessert party and I liked the menu at WCT better than the one at CC.
This morning I logged it at 7am EST and couldn't find any reservation at Cafe Orleans for April 26 between 4:50-6:40pm for 2. I chose 6:40pm but found it odd since there was 6pm availabilities at all the other restaurants!!

Not to sway you from your original choice to dine at WCT, but know that you can request a dairy free dessert plate for the dessert parties. I've done it for the WOC Dessert Party, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for the PTN Dessert Party. The dairy free plate has actual desserts and no cheese, not just fruit (although you will be given fruit alone, if that is what you request).
As for your choice of dining times at CO, keep checking back between now and your trip dates. If you see a time you like better, modify your reservation. Often, more times will open up later.

I just saw a post on the micechat discussion board with Splash Mountain having a "rumored" refurb end date of April 13th. I REALLY hope that is true... we will be there the following week. It's bad enough losing Screamin' but adding Splash to that would be awful! Let's hope it's finished for both our visits! :-)

Guest services is telling me that Splash will be open April 14. Let's hope! We're there 12th - 15th!

We're officially going! April 15-18! My kids really want to see the light up parade, they LOVED the Electric parade. I'm a little behind on planning things. Is there a dining package for something light up and amazing?

There are meal packages for Paint the Night at DCA -- I think Wine Country Trattoria has lunch or dinner and Carthay Circle has dinner. Both give reserved seating to the parade.

There is a "reception" also, but it was sold out when I looked at the 15th and 16th; you might have better luck for your days.

So far the Fantasmic! dining packages at Disneyland are only being sold through April 13th, but that may extend. I'm not sure if they are doing a refurb or just haven't released the rest of April, but that's a thought.

Good luck and have a great time!

Fantasmic packages are available until the 27th now...BUT THE SHOW MUST NOT BE ON ON THE 25TH AND 26TH, THE TWO NIGHTS WE ARE THERE!

We have tickets for the 27th too but we're driving up to LA after a late lunch.

Fantasmic packages are available until the 27th now...BUT THE SHOW MUST NOT BE ON ON THE 25TH AND 26TH, THE TWO NIGHTS WE ARE THERE!

We have tickets for the 27th too but we're driving up to LA after a late lunch.

We are at DLR Aug 24-28th but only in the parks Aug 25-27th so I booked the Blue Bayou F! pkg on 27th even though I was hoping for the 26th like you as we will need to leave Anaheim at 5am on the 28th to catch our flight back home.

We ended up with booking the BB for a regular dinner on the 26th, esp keen as Pirates is going to be down. Star Wars VR that day too. All ADR booked now, just have to do our transfer from LAX and then a hire car for the Anaheim-LA-Vegas portion of our trip.

We ended up with booking the BB for a regular dinner on the 26th, esp keen as Pirates is going to be down. Star Wars VR that day too. All ADR booked now, just have to do our transfer from LAX and then a hire car for the Anaheim-LA-Vegas portion of our trip.

What is the link for the Star Wars VR experience? Thanks!

Hi everyone. We will be going the 27th-29th (two nights). Do you know if it will be possible to see Paint the Night, Fantasmic, AND the fireworks?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter