Apple products is it just me, or anyone else?

The cheapest way to get a PC is to buy the components yourself and screw them together. It's not as difficult as you might imagine.

Well - Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple with their Microsoft Store. However, every time I've walked by one it seemed rather (I dunno) empty. The strange thing is that my BIL works for Microsoft and when we visited last Christmas he took us to several of their sites, including their public visitor center in Redmond. There were people playing around there, but it was kind of ironic since most people visiting seemed to taking selfies iPhones. Even though he works for MS, everyone in his family uses iPhones and iPads, although no Apple computers per se. He was issued a Windows phone years ago. I mean - the company gave him the phone for his personal use and would pay for his service, but eventually he got an iPhone even before they effectively discontinued Windows Phone.

Oh, I was referring to going in person to the Apple store to see if they have any suggestions on our Outlook on a Mac woes. I don’t think we have any stand alone Microsoft stores in my area. Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.

My husband had a Microsoft phone and was not impressed. He returned it within the grace period and went back to an iPhone. We’ve dabbled in PC products (computers and the phone), and we are just Apple people. I like Microsoft’s software...when it works.

Oh, I was referring to going in person to the Apple store to see if they have any suggestions on our Outlook on a Mac woes. I don’t think we have any stand alone Microsoft stores in my area. Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.

My husband had a Microsoft phone and was not impressed. He returned it within the grace period and went back to an iPhone. We’ve dabbled in PC products (computers and the phone), and we are just Apple people. I like Microsoft’s software...when it works.

I actually rather liked Microsoft phones, just not Android. Apple phones work great for me. Not only are they pretty and secure, they also use Apple's own chipsets (I believe they are up to A10 bionics now), meaning that the phone gets the most power out of the tiny chipset and that Apple phones and other media devices way outperform the competition.

I actually rather liked Microsoft phones, just not Android. Apple phones work great for me. Not only are they pretty and secure, they also use Apple's own chipsets (I believe they are up to A10 bionics now), meaning that the phone gets the most power out of the tiny chipset and that Apple phones and other media devices way outperform the competition.

That’s the A11 Bionic.

I remember back when Apple bought out a small company called P.A. Semi. It was a small company making customized PowerPC processors. A lot of the applications were military. Apple was rumored to be a customer for some sort of customized application. They basically bought out P.A. Semi for the engineers, who became the backbone of Apple’s in-house mobile processor group. That’s the team that has given Apple the biggest advantage in mobile processors.

Every iOS device has used some sort of ARM licensed processor. Samsung actually designed the one for the first iPhones. Kind of ironic isn't it?

That’s the A11 Bionic.

I remember back when Apple bought out a small company called P.A. Semi. It was a small company making customized PowerPC processors. A lot of the applications were military. Apple was rumored to be a customer for some sort of customized application. They basically bought out P.A. Semi for the engineers, who became the backbone of Apple’s in-house mobile processor group. That’s the team that has given Apple the biggest advantage in mobile processors.

Every iOS device has used some sort of ARM licensed processor. Samsung actually designed the one for the first iPhones. Kind of ironic isn't it?

I stand very much corrected :)

I stand very much corrected :)

Minor detail. However, what Apple has done has really changed the industry. Intel has been trying to get the Atom into mobile phones and tablets with little success. Anyone can make a processor more powerful, but what's done to reduce energy consumption (when it's not noticeable) is where Apple has created an advantage. Apple shifted to Intel PC processors in over a decade ago because with PowerPC they couldn't get a suitable notebook computer G5 processor from Freescale that didn't eat batteries for lunch. Apple's aggressive power management with the A-series is what really makes the most difference. They've managed to make something more powerful, lasts about 10 hours on a single charge, yet operates off a lower capacity battery than the previous generation. They used the volume saved from the battery to add things like the glass back and wireless charging.

Minor detail. However, what Apple has done has really changed the industry. Intel has been trying to get the Atom into mobile phones and tablets with little success. Anyone can make a processor more powerful, but what's done to reduce energy consumption (when it's not noticeable) is where Apple has created an advantage. Apple shifted to Intel PC processors in over a decade ago because with PowerPC they couldn't get a suitable notebook computer G5 processor from Freescale that didn't eat batteries for lunch. Apple's aggressive power management with the A-series is what really makes the most difference. They've managed to make something more powerful, lasts about 10 hours on a single charge, yet operates off a lower capacity battery than the previous generation. They used the volume saved from the battery to add things like the glass back and wireless charging.

Are the A - class chips anything to do with ARM chips? The former Acorn chips? I'm taken to understand that they are pretty punch everywhere and pack a punch with no need for cooling?

Ever since joining the boards I have gone totally Apple and I am now starting to think outside the box and go no Apple. My iMac died after 8 years it was about 700 dollars to fix it so I went with a new Mac. Of course they are updating everything and this new mouse and keyboard (wireless, no batteries) is junk. We are having constant freeze problems with both and after 2 hours with tech support nothing was done. It worked a little better after the support but back to the freezing. Another afternoon will be spent on the phone with them. iPhone 7 is a total disappointment especially my son. We are so upset that they took away the headphone jack that they did this on purpose so they can sell that little cable to use your headphones. My son has gone through 4 of those and the 4th one just died. There were 3 iphone7 in house so each time we used each account to get a new cord. No more replacements from Apple so we have to spend what is it 25 dollars for a new one with a 90 day warranty? That is going to get expensive we now may have to look at wireless headphones another expense. Plus this battery business is a joke where they are slowing down you battery to force you to upgrade. Sorry to vent is it just me are anyone else noticing a change in Apple products.
I'm so sorry to hear about your negative experiences.

A couple of years ago, President Obama donated iPads to every student and teacher in my Pre-K-8 public inner city school. Teachers also got laptops. The office desktops were switched to Apple too. Apple continues to come in and implement workshops for teachers and students in order to learn how to operate our devices to maximum capacity. The more I use my Apple devices, the more I grow to appreciate Apple. Prior to our magnificent Apple grant, we had so many issues with our chrome books and desk top computers, constant viruses, etc. My Dell computer at home has been such a pain, and it finally died a few weeks ago. It will be replaced with an Apple desktop when I have the money. We all have Apple iPhones and LOVE them.

I think technology can drive us all nuts at times. I hope you find solutions that work for you.

Are the A - class chips anything to do with ARM chips? The former Acorn chips? I'm taken to understand that they are pretty punch everywhere and pack a punch with no need for cooling?

Every iOS device (including iPhones and iPads) has used a processor with the ARM instruction set. Their first iPhone processors were customized by Samsung. I think starting with the iPhone 4 was when Apple rolled out the first ARM processors (the A-Series) that were designed in-house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple-designed_processors

ARM is kind of different. They have a variety of ways to license their processor cores. It used to be possible to get it as a completely laid out core where it's just hooked up to the licensee's own design on the silicon. I think these days many companies license what's known as a complete netlist, or possibly in a form that the licensee can tweak themselves. Apple probably has an extremely flexible license, and I think they even add their own instructions. Apple supposedly does stuff like completely shut down one of the processor cores to save on battery life if it's unneeded at the time, then spring back to life quickly when it's needed. Without this kind of power savings, it would be impossible to have a phone operate for 10 hours of watching video or talking on the phone on a single battery charge.

ARM is everywhere. Several of my employers used ARM processors as embedded processors where we built a system around it. I've heard that even Intel uses ARM cores in some of their products. Even something like a hard drive controller is probably built around ARM processor cores these days.

Every iOS device (including iPhones and iPads) has used a processor with the ARM instruction set. Their first iPhone processors were customized by Samsung. I think starting with the iPhone 4 was when Apple rolled out the first ARM processors (the A-Series) that were designed in-house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple-designed_processors

ARM is kind of different. They have a variety of ways to license their processor cores. It used to be possible to get it as a completely laid out core where it's just hooked up to the licensee's own design on the silicon. I think these days many companies license what's known as a complete netlist, or possibly in a form that the licensee can tweak themselves. Apple probably has an extremely flexible license, and I think they even add their own instructions. Apple supposedly does stuff like completely shut down one of the processor cores to save on battery life if it's unneeded at the time, then spring back to life quickly when it's needed. Without this kind of power savings, it would be impossible to have a phone operate for 10 hours of watching video or talking on the phone on a single battery charge.

ARM is everywhere. Several of my employers used ARM processors as embedded processors where we built a system around it. I've heard that even Intel uses ARM cores in some of their products. Even something like a hard drive controller is probably built around ARM processor cores these days.

I'm actually learning a lot here :)

Thanks, bcla! :)

Apple all the way here. Dh takes care of all the 'tecky' stuff and I just use my little Macbook Air.
He has the larger Air, desktop, Ipad, watch and Iphone 10. I really don't care what I use just so it works!!

I don't do Apple because of LISA.

Lisa Nicole Brennan-Jobs (born Lisa Nicole Brennan; May 17, 1978) is an American writer. She is the daughter of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and Chrisann Brennan. For several years,Jobs denied paternity, which led to a legal case and various media reports in the early days of Apple; they eventually reconciled.

So???? :confused3

Do you know the history of every company started that you use the products from??

Not applauding any of his deeds/misdeeds - just enjoying products that are available now.

So???? :confused3

Do you know the history of every company started that you use the products from??

Not applauding any of his deeds/misdeeds - just enjoying products that are available now.

The documentary and semi-biography were fascinating things to watch. They show him as an awkward genius who grows over time to actually care for his daughter and to make amends. He certainly was a complex individual and a genius at that - as they said, he made things that people loved. He wasn't a poet, or a musician or politician. He was just... Jobs.

We originally owned several Apples back in the '80s such as SEs and they were great! We had only Apples in most of our schools at the time and got great discounts to keep buying them for home as well. Also software seemed to come out first for the Macs rather than PCs. I loved how the Mac interface and commands made computers seem easy to use. Eventually I worked for an in-house program that used Macs to help principals and teachers look at their school data; it was an exciting time and I fully bought into the hype!

Our high schools and administrative secretaries etc. though continued to use PCs so DH started buying them for home. For a couple years I was bi-platform using both and feeling torn at times. Even though I loved my I-Pod and how it made music so accessible I became disillusioned with Apple in general especially with the I-phone.

We are now a completely PC home; DS who is a computer nerd keeps us all finely tuned and happy! DS and DH are both big-time gamers and feel that no Apple product can match their souped up PCs.

Though it may not be a popular opinion (no flames please) we are turned off by the 'herd' mentality that we see when it comes to Apple especially considering the clamoring for yearly new models, inflated prices and weaknesses i.e. screens and breakage.

I understand Apple's advantages; my sister loves her I-phone and I-Pad but they are not for us!

Last edited:
The high end Macs can easily outperform all but the most expensive custom PCs at the same price with a nicer form factor... however, there is one niggling thing: compatibility. If you want to game, you need Windows. No two ways about it.

My dream Mac:
  • 2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
  • 128GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
  • 4TB SSD
  • Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory
All in one ludicrously small screen factor, that's amazing!

But... that's over £10k! Very dear for what it is! Certainly a designer product.

new_2017_imac_screen-9-720x405-c.jpg

Last edited:
For me it's the constant updates. Seriously the updates are all the time and sometimes can take forever. Then there's the issue of our USB drive which has a very hard time recognizing our devices. Turns out it's a problem found a lot with windows 10.

I don't mind the layout a huge amount (probably because I'm so used to using tablets and whatnot) and it works well with our touchscreen and usability is fine but our laptop started with 8.1 and we didn't have endless updates nor USB trouble until we got the forced update to windows 10.

I've never cared for Windows, although I've dealt with it in my family because Windows based machines can be cheap. And my wife's Windows laptop just went nuts going to "Automatic Repair" that then just gives up. We tried a few things and I'm willing to try some more, but I'm also downloading the Windows 10 ISO image to burn to DVD, which I ironically can do with a Mac. Worst case scenario is that I need to start over with a new drive.

I’m not really sure why he didn’t like it. He seemed intrigued at first, but that quickly wore off and he returned it. I had a Blackberry at the time, so it would have been an upgrade for me, lol.

So I finished reloading Windows 10 to a new hard drive (actually an old one) so I wouldn't have to just reformat the old drive. In any case trying to do anything with the old drive took forever because it was trying to "repair" itself and there was no way to bypass it. It was easy enough to do a clean install although I've never actually done that before with Windows. What I had was a drive that had been previously formatted for a Mac and where I was able to (from the Windows 10 install DVD I burned) delete a couple of Mac specific partitions and then just reformat the whole thing as one partition.

It was kind of a pain trying to set it up though. It's got none of the manufacturer's installed applications, but I was able to use the Windows 7 product activation key on the bottom of the computer.

And the old drive is still mounting as an external drive so I can back up that data like downloads. But for whatever reason the operating system won't boot and I'm not going to spend days trying to figure out why when I've got a working solution.

I'm so sorry to hear about your negative experiences.

A couple of years ago, President Obama donated iPads to every student and teacher in my Pre-K-8 public inner city school. Teachers also got laptops. The office desktops were switched to Apple too. Apple continues to come in and implement workshops for teachers and students in order to learn how to operate our devices to maximum capacity. The more I use my Apple devices, the more I grow to appreciate Apple. Prior to our magnificent Apple grant, we had so many issues with our chrome books and desk top computers, constant viruses, etc. My Dell computer at home has been such a pain, and it finally died a few weeks ago. It will be replaced with an Apple desktop when I have the money. We all have Apple iPhones and LOVE them.

I think technology can drive us all nuts at times. I hope you find solutions that work for you.
Apple donated those 9,000-something iPads as part of Teach for America, not Obama. Apple has been very generous and very smart with their donations to schools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter