Apple products is it just me, or anyone else?

That's wonderful, but my literally free HTC smartphone outlived 2 Apple products DW tried, and my $150 generic brand BestBuy el-cheapo PC at home is now 6 years old and going strong.

Never had Apple, never will. Then again, I wouldn't pay $100 for ANY smartphone by any manufacturer, let alone $1000. Now get off my lawn!! :D

Klayfish, you’re confused. You’re on my lawn. You’re welcome to stay and tell me how much you don’t like Apple products, though.

Well - I think Microsoft has a Mac specific team working on Office for Mac. Microsoft and Apple have a long history going at least as far back when Microsoft ported Microsoft BASIC to the Apple II as Applesoft BASIC. The Mac versions of Microsoft Word for the Mac worked really well. If there are any real problems, it's probably because Microsoft isn't know for employing the most elegant solutions regardless of the platform.

It doesn’t work well for us. Now we have non-stop issues with Outlook. I never had any issue before the business suite running Word, Excel, and Power Point. It’s definitely more frustrating talking to the Microsoft reps. We spend a long time just trying to get them to understand what the problem is a lot of the time, every once in awhile we get someone who knows what they are doing. I will say, I don’t think we have ever taken it to the actual store for help. It might be worth it.

It doesn’t work well for us. Now we have non-stop issues with Outlook. I never had any issue before the business suite running Word, Excel, and Power Point. It’s definitely more frustrating talking to the Microsoft reps. We spend a long time just trying to get them to understand what the problem is a lot of the time, every once in awhile we get someone who knows what they are doing. I will say, I don’t think we have ever taken it to the actual store for help. It might be worth it.

Well - Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple with their Microsoft Store. However, every time I've walked by one it seemed rather (I dunno) empty. The strange thing is that my BIL works for Microsoft and when we visited last Christmas he took us to several of their sites, including their public visitor center in Redmond. There were people playing around there, but it was kind of ironic since most people visiting seemed to taking selfies iPhones. Even though he works for MS, everyone in his family uses iPhones and iPads, although no Apple computers per se. He was issued a Windows phone years ago. I mean - the company gave him the phone for his personal use and would pay for his service, but eventually he got an iPhone even before they effectively discontinued Windows Phone.

I don't like 8.1, but it is much better than 8, that's true.

Linux ftw.

This is Deepin:

0*6Ji8NXEI0l2Zu6a5.
You'll never convince me Linux will be taken on by the masses. And yes, I've been working with Linux for multiple years. I know how to use vi. Still doesn't mean I think it's ready for "Joe Sixpack".

That’s why I don’t like it. The settings are very different and not as easy to find.
Actually, I think things are easier to find in 10. I type what I want in Cortana and 95%+ of the time it pops up. So one click and some typing, I'm there. Previous windows... click in start, scroll to control panel, find the category for the setting, find the setting, :P

You'll never convince me Linux will be taken on by the masses. And yes, I've been working with Linux for multiple years. I know how to use vi. Still doesn't mean I think it's ready for "Joe Sixpack".

Linux is really for people who are comfortable with command lines and who have someone paid to work on the IT infrastructure full time. However, it's changed my industry. I remember when everyone had a Unix workstation that cost $10,000-$20,000 on their desk. These days all the professional software works on Linux machines, and commodity servers with Intel/AMD processors are cheap and effective. But I don't know about as a computer on someone's desk. Most places I've worked in the past decade use ordinary PCs or Macs to access a server that does the heavy lifting.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is still very niche.

But if people COULD see what some versions of Linux could offer, I betcha there would be a LOT of converts. My top three versions are Deepin, Ubuntu and Mint. Endless is FANTASTIC for first time users, especially if they have no connection to the internet. Elementary is also very, well, elementary. All versions are extremely pretty, knocking Windows for six. And as such, they are also easier to use, faster and more secure than Windows.

The biggest barriers to Linux being taken up is installing the new OS on one's system and forgoing Microsoft Office. People rather stay sedentary.

Just thought I'd give Endless a shout out for third world countries with little access to the internet. The system comes pre-loaded with an Office look-a-like install, a fair wodge of the Wikipedia pre-installed, elementary coding tools to learn and more. All in a compact package that requires little learning.

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 21.04.04.png

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is still very niche.

But if people COULD see what some versions of Linux could offer, I betcha there would be a LOT of converts. My top three versions are Deepin, Ubuntu and Mint. Endless is FANTASTIC for first time users, especially if they have no connection to the internet. Elementary is also very, well, elementary. All versions are extremely pretty, knocking Windows for six. And as such, they are also easier to use, faster and more secure than Windows.

The biggest barriers to Linux being taken up is installing the new OS on one's system and forgoing Microsoft Office. People rather stay sedentary.

Off-topic, but I have a VEEEEEEERY old Windows system (2001 Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM, if that, XP install--that how old) that's just gathering dust in the corner of our basement. I'm looking to play around with a Linux distro on it--what would you recommend?

On topic: I always find these Apple vs PC discussions interesting because they're like discussing politics or religion--everybody's got their position and they're not going to be persuaded otherwise. :D Me, I resisted assimilation into the Borg--er, I mean Apple--collective for years but am pretty much in the Apple Walled Garden now. The hardware works great for us, has lasted forever and I like the integration. But I won't try to convince anyone, everybody's got their personal tastes.

Off-topic, but I have a VEEEEEEERY old Windows system (2001 Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of RAM, if that, XP install--that how old) that's just gathering dust in the corner of our basement. I'm looking to play around with a Linux distro on it--what would you recommend?

On topic: I always find these Apple vs PC discussions interesting because they're like discussing politics or religion--everybody's got their position and they're not going to be persuaded otherwise. :D Me, I resisted assimilation into the Borg--er, I mean Apple--collective for years but am pretty much in the Apple Walled Garden now. The hardware works great for us, has lasted forever and I like the integration. But I won't try to convince anyone, everybody's got their personal tastes.

I'd opt on Ubuntu 17.10 or a flavour thereof. You can explore the various types of Linux here: http://www.distrowatch.com. The more popular the system (ranked on the right hand side) the easier to use, more polished and faster the system is.

Endless is FANTASTIC for first time users, especially if they have no connection to the internet.

Just thought I'd give Endless a shout out for third world countries with little access to the internet.
Those statements are funny made on an internet message board.

I have no problem with change, I just don't like change for change sake. If the change is going to give me enough improvement without degrading what I normally do, that's fine. I can probably work on Linux. But there's something to be said about working on an OS that your compatriots do (so you can help them, they can help you).

Those statements are funny made on an internet message board.

LOL! Got me :teeth: I am referring towards a drive in third world countries to spread information in a learning environment where school kids can be given a cheap laptop, Endless OS with the wikipedia and Office and so on. It's proving quite a success :)

I have no problem with change, I just don't like change for change sake. If the change is going to give me enough improvement without degrading what I normally do, that's fine. I can probably work on Linux. But there's something to be said about working on an OS that your compatriots do (so you can help them, they can help you).

I only work with Linux because I don't give Windows creds and don't have to put up with it. At home I escape by using Macs but I can't afford the expenditure on work computers.

I guess I find Linux all the more accessible because being so used to computing I'm used to chopping and changing between OSs. Heck, I build all my computers, Macs being the exception! I'll give Microsoft this: Office is the defacto standard and a decent suite :)

I don't get the previous comment that if something needs to be fixed that the only practical way is to go ask for help from Apple. Apple makes reinstalling the OS easier than with any other system because the "recovery" system is so well integrated into the hardware. If a Windows machine is toasted, I believe you need to set up a new install of Windows using a complete working machine. With a Mac, you just do that from the same machine.

What I don't necessarily care for is that Apple has turned their latest machines into appliances. The drive and RAM are now a permanent part of the main board, and even those somewhat older machines where the SSD comes in a replaceable card, Apple has used proprietary systems instead of industry standard. They look really nice though since they could make them ridiculously thin since they don't need slots or sockets that take up space.

I really like the last ones that have SATA drives and RAM in sockets. They're not quite as cool looking, but it's really easy to upgrade or to fix many problems that can happen with drives.

Interestingly enough, Fast Company today published its annual rankings of the 50 most innovative companies in the world, and this year, Apple is the number one company on the list for "delivering the future today."

Apple was picked for its impressive list of accomplishments in 2017, which included the iPhone X, the Apple Watch Series 3, ARKit, and its unique focus on hardware and software integration that sets it apart from its competitors. Apple designs its own chips that are optimized for its operating systems, resulting in performance that blows the competition away.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/20/apple-most-innovative-company/

I'm not a tech guy whatsoever, but for the very little I do use, I'm more in the "Apple can do no right" camp. Never had one, never will. To me, it seems like ridiculously overpriced junk.

When I began shopping for my last computer, I gave both platforms a shot. To get the minimum specs I needed to actually run the software I actually use daily, the Apple price for the specs I needed was $2,700. The Windows price for better specs than what I needed was $850.

That was the penultimate nail in the coffin; the final nail was Apple’s iOS update a few months ago. I’m done with them once my iPad dies.

I don't understand the hate against Win10. It feels very similar to Win7 to me. Aside from learning where some settings are (not unusual for an OS change), I haven't had problems.
For me it's the constant updates. Seriously the updates are all the time and sometimes can take forever. Then there's the issue of our USB drive which has a very hard time recognizing our devices. Turns out it's a problem found a lot with windows 10.

I don't mind the layout a huge amount (probably because I'm so used to using tablets and whatnot) and it works well with our touchscreen and usability is fine but our laptop started with 8.1 and we didn't have endless updates nor USB trouble until we got the forced update to windows 10.

For me it's the constant updates. Seriously the updates are all the time and sometimes can take forever. Then there's the issue of our USB drive which has a very hard time recognizing our devices. Turns out it's a problem found a lot with windows 10.

I don't mind the layout a huge amount (probably because I'm so used to using tablets and whatnot) and it works well with our touchscreen and usability is fine but our laptop started with 8.1 and we didn't have endless updates nor USB trouble until we got the forced update to windows 10.
I think at least part of the updates are security fixes. I think in Win10, Microsoft made them more automatic/mandatory.

I think some Apple products work well. I think older ones worked better than newer ones. I still use Apple, but I'm no longer inspired to spend the top dollar version of an item when I know that as soon as this thing is past even the extended warranty, I may have to buy a new one.

We play video games, so our desktops are not Apple products. But we do have iPhone SE's, iPods, and I have an iPad. Work has Dell computers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts