Apple products is it just me, or anyone else?

Brumeiser

Total Disney Nut
Ever since joining the boards I have gone totally Apple and I am now starting to think outside the box and go no Apple. My iMac died after 8 years it was about 700 dollars to fix it so I went with a new Mac. Of course they are updating everything and this new mouse and keyboard (wireless, no batteries) is junk. We are having constant freeze problems with both and after 2 hours with tech support nothing was done. It worked a little better after the support but back to the freezing. Another afternoon will be spent on the phone with them. iPhone 7 is a total disappointment especially my son. We are so upset that they took away the headphone jack that they did this on purpose so they can sell that little cable to use your headphones. My son has gone through 4 of those and the 4th one just died. There were 3 iphone7 in house so each time we used each account to get a new cord. No more replacements from Apple so we have to spend what is it 25 dollars for a new one with a 90 day warranty? That is going to get expensive we now may have to look at wireless headphones another expense. Plus this battery business is a joke where they are slowing down you battery to force you to upgrade. Sorry to vent is it just me are anyone else noticing a change in Apple products.

I have a mix of MacOS, iOS and Windows tech, and my Apple products are still less-trouble prone than my Windows-based products. Update problems happen with both OS's, so I don't think you'd find a Windows machine any less frustrating. They all have their ups and downs.

As for the cable...for heaven's sake, don't pay $25 for that thing. You can get them for 7 bucks on Amazon, or 2 for 10 bucks if you go with the third party version. Just search for "lightning to headphone adapter."

Personally I think the best bargain would be a used MacBook Pro - the kind where you could change the drive and memory yourself. The last one introduced was in 2012, but there are a lot of the 2012 versions out there because it was on the market for 4 years as the last one of its kind for people who wanted something that still had the optical drive, several ports, and user-upgradability. Those are extremely reliable, and a solid-state drive update will make one perform close to the current ones. There hasn't really been any revolutionary advance in processor technology, so even a model that came out 5 years ago performs close enough to the latest ones. Something like this one:

https://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/d/macbook-pro-mid-2012-great/6473525113.html

Mixed here.

Apple for leisure and home use - everything just WORKS and is of a high quality.

Linux for office use, where a degree of technicality is useful.

I don't care for Android and am unimpressed with Windows 10.

The only Apple products I have any experience with are iPods, iPhones, and iTunes. They all work nearly flawlessly for me and seem very intuitive. For computing purposes I have a PC running Windows 10 which has been terrific for nearly 6 years.

Have had both, but much prefer Windows. Apple's core (ha!) target demographic is people that neither know nor care about how to actually use computers. Upshot being that when something actually goes wrong, the average user has no recourse other than to go to Apple for the fix.

Windows generally requires a baseline level of knowledge to use, and most of the time you can simply google a problem if one comes up and get a fix for it.

Linux is for masochists.

Windows is almost completely customizable with the right amount of know-how. Apple products allow a thin veneer of the appearance of customization, but in the end you're going to be forced to play by their rules and use the applications the way they want you to.

After the last iOS update broke most of the applications I use on my iPad, my next tablet will be Windows-based. I give up on the little needlessly expensive boutique platform.

Have had both, but much prefer Windows. Apple's core (ha!) target demographic is people that neither know nor care about how to actually use computers. Upshot being that when something actually goes wrong, the average user has no recourse other than to go to Apple for the fix.
Not really. Apple has a great environment for people who know how to use computers. They give direct access to the BSD Unix underpinnings using a Terminal window. It can be a little bit dangerous though, although most users don't even touch it.

If you have a problem, Apple has excellent support articles that aren't dependent on the manufacturer, since there's only one. They have a native backup system (Time Machine) that's easy to use. You can also create a backup that can boot from an external drive. If you have a completely destroyed drive you can easily recover using a standard recovery system through the internet. Other than a physical hardware problem with my Mac computer, I've never needed to have an Apple employee help me with anything related to a Mac, including a bad hard drive. Here's one article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

If you need to fix something yourself, Apple makes it a lot easier to do than with a Windows machine. They have this tool called Recovery (loaded to a drive partition) or Internet Recovery (loaded from the Internet using programming in the firmware) that allows the user to reformat, repair a corrupted drive, access the web, restore from a backup, or reinstall the operating system. The best part is that you don't really need anything than the computer, a new drive, and access to the internet. It doesn't even require any kind of activation key to reinstall the OS. This is something the average user is going to find far easier to do than with Windows.

macos-high-sierra-recovery-mode-reinstall.jpg

Mixed here.

Apple for leisure and home use - everything just WORKS and is of a high quality.

Linux for office use, where a degree of technicality is useful.

I don't care for Android and am unimpressed with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is the work of Beelzebub himself. It was old, but I still used Vista until my new tower arrived with 10.

I have seen the cords from Amazon and the reviews are terrible. I just hate to buy one that you may be out of luck after buying it.

How old is the child who has damaged (or lost) so many of those adapters? Seems like more a matter of being responsible. That's not a problem with the product itself.

No problems with mine, but I keep it attached to the headset cord and in a case when not in use.

Also, if you are having problems with wireless peripherals, look into what could be interfering with them.

Last edited:
I stick with Apple because I have had great experiences with their products and like the flow of having my phone/laptop/ipad all linked together. My iPhones have lasted forever (my parents use our old ones too), my Macbook lasted me a good 7 years before crashing and I had never had a Windows last that long for me previously, and I'm just so used to using them now. I have a Windows laptop at work and there is definitely nothing wrong with it, I just prefer Apple at this point.

I have never found the MAC OS intuitive. When I open a window of a program, I expect the menu bar to be in the window, not on the top of the desktop. When I close all the window, I expect the program to close.

After much indecision I did just make the decision to go with another iPhone. Apple products have many reasons to recommend. I do not care for some of the control they exert over their products after purchase. Many of their biggest fans have been extremely disappointed in several of their more recent product offerings, most specifically regarding the elimination of some of their most desired features.

We're pretty much completely Apple based here. My MacBook is 7 or 8 years old, I still have an iPhone 4S (although apps are becoming an issue), we have iMacs that are 5+ years old. I never had a Windows based computer last anywhere near this long. We also use Linux on a couple of things and DH is running more and more on Raspberry Pis.

I have seen the cords from Amazon and the reviews are terrible. I just hate to buy one that you may be out of luck after buying it.

I just bought a couple of the headphone adapters at my peach Mac store for $10 each. They are the Apple brand. Unless you are buying something else, you should not be paying $25 for the adapter.

How old is the child who has damaged (or lost) so many of those adapters? Seems like more a matter of being responsible. That's not a problem with the product itself.

No problems with mine, but I keep it attached to the headset cord and in a case when not in use.

Also, if you are having problems with wireless peripherals, look into what could be interfering with them.
^^^^
This

I just bought a couple of the headphone adapters at my peach Mac store for $10 each. They are the Apple brand. Unless you are buying something else, you should not be paying $25 for the adapter.
^^^^
And this.

Three original adapters that came with the phones, one being used by a 12 year old and no issues.

Not a Mac user. Have considered it since all our phones and tablets are Apple but I’m just not feeling learning things all over again.

As far as phones go (have never had a single issue with an iPad *knock wood*) the minor issues we’ve had Apple CS has been nothing but stellar. I don’t call support though, I go into the Apple Store.

I don't do Apple because of LISA.

Lisa Nicole Brennan-Jobs (born Lisa Nicole Brennan; May 17, 1978) is an American writer. She is the daughter of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and Chrisann Brennan. For several years,Jobs denied paternity, which led to a legal case and various media reports in the early days of Apple; they eventually reconciled.

After much indecision I did just make the decision to go with another iPhone. Apple products have many reasons to recommend. I do not care for some of the control they exert over their products after purchase. Many of their biggest fans have been extremely disappointed in several of their more recent product offerings, most specifically regarding the elimination of some of their most desired features.
Which did you get? I got the 8Plus recently and I like it a lot, especially the camera.

Which did you get? I got the 8Plus recently and I like it a lot, especially the camera.

I just went with the 8. It seems fine. I'm not particularly a technophile to begin with (I leave that for the rest of the family).

I was actually content with my 5S until it started constantly rebooting late last year and gradually leaving me randomly unable to text with more and more people each week. DH actually forced me to make a decision the other night when he got yet another text from yet another friend of mine, wondering why I wasn't answering in a group chat for days. He recently switched to a Samsung and loves it, but I just don't see the appeal of that either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!