A "Common object" you don't have in your home

I don't have an ice cream scoop or spoon rest (didn't realize those were common)

No toaster (and no toaster over)

no hair dryer or curling iron or straightener (even though I have long, thick hair)

no potato masher (I am not even sure I know what this is, but people keep referring to them)

Probably the oddest ones are:

no ironing board (I toss a towel on the table when I iron something)
no mop (I much prefer to scrub on my hands and knees---floor gets much cleaner that way; it's a small place so not such a big deal).

Last edited:
:thumbsup2 Cool!

We don't have a DVD player or any kind of audio equipment. We rarely ever listen to music and when we do, it's a digital playlist we run through the speakers of our desktop computer. We don't have a blender, food processor, bread maker, instant pot, waffle-iron, toaster oven, rice cooker or pretty much any small kitchen appliance. (Or I should say I don't - my DH would have no clue what is or isn't in the kitchen. :rolleyes: )

We don't have a light fixture in our master bedroom. Weird, I know, but in the 60's when this place was built it was very common to have lamp plugs only, no ceiling fixture. And our saddest "don't have" is we don't have A/C. This has been the hottest summer in decades and it was miserable lots of days.
No lack of audio equipment is, among all the posted items, the thing I would not live without. Music is so important to me (and our whole family really). Funny how peopel are so different

No lack of audio equipment is, among all the posted items, the thing I would not live without. Music is so important to me (and our whole family really). Funny how peopel are so different
I'm kind of like the PP in the dishwasher post. Never had it, don't miss it. I haven't had a stereo since I was a young adolescent; I think the last album I owned was Billy Joel's 52nd Street when I was about 12. I've owned vehicles that I've never even bothered to learn how to operate the sound system. I just lock it on to a talk radio station and push the on/off button. :laughing:

Last edited:
I'm kind of like the PP in the dishwasher post. Never had it, don't miss it. I haven't had a stereo since I was a young adolescent; I think the last album I owned was Billy Joel's 52nd Street when I was about 12. I've owned vehicles that I've never even bothered to learn how to operate the sound system.
Whereas I grew up with a dad who was a radio DJ and loved music. He brough home new things all the time and my best childhood memories are of listening to him spin tunes in teh evneings.
I love modern technology like sonos which allows me to have the music going in the great room, bedroom, bathroom, terrace . . .

We don't have towel racks for bath towels in any of our bathrooms.

Seriously. Was a slip through the cracks thing when we built the house, and our bath fixtures were quickly discontinued, so we've never been able to find a match. Drape them over the shower rod daily.
I'm not a fan of towel racks, so we don't have any. The ones we did have were replaced with "hooks" when we renovated. Each person has one, and there are hooks for hand towels, too. :p

I thought of another thing we don't have - a doorbell.

I agree it is funny to see what people have and don't have, or like and don't like.

We would be lost without our music devices. We have lots of them around the house and yard, and we like our individual Bose speakers, too. In the car I've kept my Sirius going and decided I won't be without it anymore, lol. It makes the commute a little more enjoyable and keeps me calm, even in heavy traffic.

A teapot, an atm card and a debit card. I have multiples of everything else that has been mentioned here (except for the chapel or the pool). No ice cream scoop? Barbarians! No dishwasher? I am not living there!

As we found out when we brought everything upstairs pre-Harvey and everything downstairs post-Harvey, we have a lot of stuff. Crock pot? Yep. Waffle maker? Yep. Panini press? Yep. Rice Cooker? Yep. Two of those. Bread maker? Yep. Electric chocolate melter? Yep. And on and on. And we use all of it.

Edited to add - we have 3 microwaves. The one installed in the kitchen, the emergency hurricane one that can be easily hooked up to the generator and an extra of the installed one (getting one that fits the hole is a pain - so we have a spare).

Spoon rest
Wood cutting board
Toaster (though I have a tabletop toaster/convection oven)
Salt n pepper shakers
Roaster (I just buy the disposables when I want to make a turkey)
Dish drainer (I just put them to the side as I rinse, and DS dries and puts them away)
Hairdryer/straightener/curler (don't need them, and my hair is healthier than when I used them!)
Teapot
Insta Pot
Popcorn popper
Stereo (we just use streaming on the tv, computer or phones)
Blu-ray/dvd player (we use the PS4 for that)
Kitchen-aid stand mixer (I have a hand held :( )

I couldn't think of anything until @NHdisneylover mentioned an ironing board, we don't have one. In our house ironing has never been a thing as we've always been casual dressers. When laundry is done it gets hung in the closet or folded and put away in the wardrobe. I guess we have an iron somewhere, when DDs were kids they used to show horses and some of their riding outfits needed pressing. But that was almost 20 years ago, don't think I've seen the iron since.:)

We don't have or own a microwave.

I went 5 months without one in 2005 because ours died and it was back to college where we were living so there were none to be found locally for months. It was hard but I made due with a toaster over. Never plan to do that again.

We don;t have an electric can opener. We have DVDs but no DVD player. Supposedly the video game system can play them, but when we tried last week it couldn't.

We never had a toaster until two weeks ago when I bought one. We have been using toaster ovens for YEARS, but I wanted my kids to be able to make their own breakfast without burning themselves , so finally got a toaster.

We don't have a landline phone either.

We don't have curtains anywhere in our downstairs or in our bedroom. We have accordion shades that we leave up most of the time. I just don't like hiding all the daylight. We have beautiful wooded views and I like to see them. The 3 guest bedrooms have blinds and curtains in case people want them.

I also never have fabric softener. Don't use it. Not sure that counts??

It is so interesting to see what people have and what they choose not to have. A spoon rest would be great, but I don't like a lot of stuff on my counter. I just fold a paper towel each time I need to rest my spoons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter