A "Common object" you don't have in your home

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
My kids are eating ice cream, and it got me thinking. Growing up as a child, my family never had an ice cream scoop. We ate ice cream often---but always just scooped it out with a large serving spoon instead of an ice cream scoop.

Now, as an adult with my own home, I don't have a spoon rest. I just never think to buy one. Almost every time I cook, I think I should get one...but I never do.

Do you have something like this in your home?

Only had one spoon rest in all my life. No idea what happened to it.

Gotta have an ice cream scoop. I'm always putting a guilt trip on my husband (who won't use it - and we have 2) because, he scoops (with my good silver) into such hard ice cream it bends the spoons.

We don't have a corkscrew, but we don't drink wine either.

Fireplace andiron/tools set - don't have one of those, and we've got a fireplace.

Only had one spoon rest in all my life. No idea what happened to it.

Gotta have an ice cream scoop. I'm always putting a guilt trip on my husband (who won't use it - and we have 2) because, he scoops (with my good silver) into such hard ice cream it bends the spoons.

We don't have a corkscrew, but we don't drink wine either.

Fireplace andiron/tools set - don't have one of those, and we've got a fireplace.

YES! I remember bending so many spoons as a kid! But with your good silver?!?!? Oh no!

I do not own a docking system for an I pod. Does that count?
I also do not have an auto garage door opener.

Well... I don't have an iPod OR a garage, so I guess I'm out of this one, LOL! I do, however, have andirons and fireplace tools, although no fireplace. :jester:

Actually, I don't have a serving platter. I have a round, 14" pyrex plate (known as the nacho plate) that I will use for sliced turkey, carved chicken, etc., but no real serving platter.

Not only do you have to have an ice cream scoop, you have to have a really good, strong one! ::yes::

My spoon rest is getting a bit long in the tooth. It's been broken many times, but I keep finding it glued back together again. Just last week I had it in the dish drainer with a piece broken off, I came home and it was whole again! :lmao: It's not a matter of not wanting to buy another or anything like that; it's just, I guess, that DH knows I've had so many of my favorite things broken, he's taken to fixing them when he can for me. I should really just go back to where I bought it and get another! (Note to self: Do it!)

We don't have any handrails in the house. We did at one point, but we took them down. We should put them back up again. Maybe modernize them.

My kids are eating ice cream, and it got me thinking. Growing up as a child, my family never had an ice cream scoop. We ate ice cream often---but always just scooped it out with a large serving spoon instead of an ice cream scoop.

Now, as an adult with my own home, I don't have a spoon rest. I just never think to buy one. Almost every time I cook, I think I should get one...but I never do.

Do you have something like this in your home?

I don't have a spoon rest either although I cook all the time. I just don't like the clutter on my counter top. Once my sister came to my home and exclaimed "you don't have a melon baller???!!!"

Last edited:

Have never owned an ice cream scoop and am eating ice cream as I type. I'm all for bending serving spoons out of shape to dip. Guess I'll take a look at what's available and order one.

No ice cream scoop here either, though we don't eat ice cream that often anyway.

My contribution to the thread is no salt and pepper shakers.

Not only do you have to have an ice cream scoop, you have to have a really good, strong one! ::yes::

My spoon rest is getting a bit long in the tooth. It's been broken many times, but I keep finding it glued back together again. Just last week I had it in the dish drainer with a piece broken off, I came home and it was whole again! :lmao: It's not a matter of not wanting to buy another or anything like that; it's just, I guess, that DH knows I've had so many of my favorite things broken, he's taken to fixing them when he can for me. I should really just go back to where I bought it and get another! (Note to self: Do it!)

We don't have any handrails in the house. We did at one point, but we took them down. We should put them back up again. Maybe modernize them.

Big deal. My husband can fix anything with duct tape. :snooty:

No ice cream scoop here either, though we don't eat ice cream that often anyway.

My contribution to the thread is no salt and pepper shakers.

I have salt and pepper shakers, but no salt or pepper. NOT really true- I have both in my spice cabinet but use them only for cooking, never on the table. My S&P shakers are a collection, and I have some really cute ones (like Snow White kissing the top of Dopey's bald head, and Pooh snuggled up to Eeyore.. stuff like that).

I thought I'd be the only weird one saying we don't have salt and pepper shakers. Actually we do, but they are old and broken. I just keep forgetting to buy new ones. I usually salt my food lightly while cooking, rarely add any to the actual cooked fish afterwards. And Lord knows I don't need to add salt to any restaurant foods, they are already too salty for me. I use pepper minimally. If a recipe calls for a half teaspoon of pepper, I'll maybe use 1/8th tsp

A Keurig coffee maker.
We have a regular coffee maker, it used to get used at Thanksgiving and Christmas only.
About a year ago my wife got in the habit of making a pot of coffee on Saturday morning.
Otherwise, we make instant.

A crock pot. I never found the need nor had a desire for a slow cooker.
I make the yummiest pulled chicken in my crock pot. Also have a great recipe for banana bread in a crock pot.

But, mostly, my crock pots (yes 2 of them) were used for pot luck dinners we went to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!