2022 Point Chart release date?

Dumb question on point charts... some of the more long-term members may know this offhand... have the point charts ever been unchanged year-to-year? We're recent resale purchasers (closed in October, yay!) and haven't been through a point change yet, though we certainly expected them.
There are many more years that didn't change, than there are that did. Of course, the dates for Easter & Thanksgiving change every year, so the charts were adjusted every year (and still are) to keep those Holiday times in the appropriate seasons.

The charts for 2021 were adjusted to have 7 seasons. Prior to that, there were 5.

IMO, that was one of the two significant changes that have occurred since the beginning. The other decreased the cost of weekend nights (Friday & Saturday) & increased the cost of weekday nights (Sunday - Thursday).

ETA: SSR owners will probably also consider the change to require more points for the THV a significant change.

But that is there main selling point, you can get a week in a studio for 100 pts or 125 pts now. They start messing too much with studios they will lose there biggest sale tactic.

Its once they realise that its only in off-season and you have to add on points if you want holidays.

They might adjust holiday periods again but that suits me as I only travel off-peak anyway.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think “cheap studios” is the main sales driver. There definitely has been some movement in that direction, but the comforts of a full kitchen and washer/dryer and larger units is also a big driver — and would become even bigger if those units were a bit less costly.
But the truly big driver of DVC isn’t specific unit type — it’s simply locking in years of Disney vacations at a fixed price.

I think motivation is also tied to your pre-DVC hotel travel. If you were a value/mod traveler, then a DVC studio gives you a more deluxe experience.
If you came from paying for deluxe hotels, the studios could feel like a step down in some cases.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think “cheap studios” is the main sales driver. There definitely has been some movement in that direction, but the comforts of a full kitchen and washer/dryer and larger units is also a big driver — and would become even bigger if those units were a bit less costly.
But the truly big driver of DVC isn’t specific unit type — it’s simply locking in years of Disney vacations at a fixed price.

I think motivation is also tied to your pre-DVC hotel travel. If you were a value/mod traveler, then a DVC studio gives you a more deluxe experience.
If you came from paying for deluxe hotels, the studios could feel like a step down in some cases.
Yes to above, but also the FLEXIBILITY. When my wife and I go we get a Studio. When I go with my youngest and her 2 boys they perfer a 1 Bedroom. My middle daughter and her husband and family prefer a 2 bedroom. So, I can use my points for the room type that best fits our trip.

Yes to above, but also the FLEXIBILITY. When my wife and I go we get a Studio. When I go with my youngest and her 2 boys they perfer a 1 Bedroom. My middle daughter and her husband and family prefer a 2 bedroom. So, I can use my points for the room type that best fits our trip.

Absolutely! I just don’t think a 1-week annual studio is some overwhelming consensus of DVC owners.
But yes, shifting points would shift uses.

I wonder, for those that own 100-125 points, almost exclusively do weeklong studio stays...

which is preferable:
1. 1 week in home resort studio. Due to such limited studio availability at 7 months, rarely staying anywhere but home resort.
2. point increase in studios/ decrease in 1 bedrooms — opens up a lot more 7 month studio availability. Can now get most resorts at 7 months, but your points only get you 6 nights per year.
3. Point change brings 1 bedrooms in reach. So you can do 4-5 nights per year in a 1 bedroom, for the same points as you used to get a week in a studio. Opens up even doing a full 1-bedroom for 2 weeks out of every 3 years.

For those that solely want to maximize nights at minimum points, increasing studio cost would be a negative. But on greater balance, it could be a real positive for most people.

I wonder, for those that own 100-125 points, almost exclusively do weeklong studio stays...

which is preferable:
1. 1 week in home resort studio. Due to such limited studio availability at 7 months, rarely staying anywhere but home resort.
2. point increase in studios/ decrease in 1 bedrooms — opens up a lot more 7 month studio availability. Can now get most resorts at 7 months, but your points only get you 6 nights per year.
3. Point change brings 1 bedrooms in reach. So you can do 4-5 nights per year in a 1 bedroom, for the same points as you used to get a week in a studio. Opens up even doing a full 1-bedroom for 2 weeks out of every 3 years.

For those that solely want to maximize nights at minimum points, increasing studio cost would be a negative. But on greater balance, it could be a real positive for most people.
Might make a good poll!

IMO, most will opt for more nights over larger villas. YMMV. :)

Might make a good poll!

Maybe. I don't know. I think everyone has a different balance. I mean, if it was a choice of 13 nights in a Deluxe Grand Villa or 14 nights in a studio, most would be willing to give up 1 night. And not everyone always books the cheapest studios: Those who book GFV, Poly, RIV studios... could stay more nights if they booked cheaper studios in another resort. And if it was purely maximizing nights, nobody would book preferred-view rooms.
So everyone has a different balance level where they would make the trade. Even buying DVC was a trade -- If it was PURELY about maximizing nights/dollar, they could have gotten more nights/dollar by doing something off property.

So I don't know where "most" people would strike the balance. I suspect it would be pretty spread out. Plenty of people who would prefer 5 nights in a 1 bedroom over 7 nights in a studio, or vice versa. And plenty of people who would give up the kitchen and extra space to get another 2 nights.

Might make a good poll!

Well..... poll posted...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/point-chart-preferences-if-they-ever-adjust-for-units.3819705/
With about 16 respondents so far... still early... It's about an even split between those who simply want studios as cheap as possible, and those who would take a studio point increase if it made larger units more accessible. More studio availability at 7 months doesn't seem to be a motivating factor. And only 1/16 respondents thus far seems to think it would be so fatal that they would sell of their DVC. (If 1 out of 16 people actually dumped DVC due to any change, it would be huge. But I find whenever you discuss any theoretical change, you have a decent proportion on forums who claim it would be their final straw).

From the beginning, the key factor that has been used to determine ownership interests in, and total point differences among, the rooms at most the resorts has been the square footage of the rooms which has resulted in the 1BRs at a resort to appear to be expensive in relation to the studio and 2BR, i.e., you get that result because the 1BR is much closer in size to the 2BR than the studio.

That use of square footage as the key factor in determining ownership interests and points for each room is actually required by the POS's except for Poly (because of bungalows), CCV (because of cabins). and Riveria (the newby that changed and destroyed a number of rules contained in the prior POS's).

I'd say it was a mix on the square footage because 2BR's actually are the size of 3 studios but not triple the points. 1BR's are double the size of studios and that was almost a 1 to 1 upcharge. I have read others point out that it isn't very common in the timeshare world for that to be the case so DVC 1BR lovers get the kitchen at a premium price for the timeshare world.

But then again, never mind because when DVC was asked about it with the 2020 point chart they stated that 1BR's were more in demand than 2BR's. :rolleyes2

My biggest problem with adjusting the point charts is I do not trust DVC management for one second. After we all became aware of the lock off premium scam, do you really trust DVC management to reallocate fairly and in the best interest of the members? (ok, I admit we are by the Magic Kingdom with all the Pixie Dust in the air-LOL).

I'd have to hope they learned a bit after the 2020 point charts. I don't know whether the lesson was about what they can and cannot do or if the lesson was that we actually have legal access to more info than they thought and can analyze what they do more thoroughly than they imagined (and more than one stated there was no way a member could know such and such info when indeed it's recorded info and not that difficult to find). Hopefully at least they learned they do need to get all their ducks correctly in a row.

Dumb question on point charts... some of the more long-term members may know this offhand... have the point charts ever been unchanged year-to-year? We're recent resale purchasers (closed in October, yay!) and haven't been through a point change yet, though we certainly expected them.

They had stayed identical for so long that people were buying contracts for the exact number of points they required for the room and dates they always went. It was something like 16 or 17 years I think with no changes?

But then again, never mind because when DVC was asked about it with the 2020 point chart they stated that 1BR's were more in demand than 2BR's. :rolleyes2

The issue you have is that you have way more 1BRs than 2BRs in actuality.

Think about it this way you know for a fact dedicated 2BRs are being booked for a 2BR but a lock-off is likely being booked more so at the Studio level and then later 1BR. So just because 2BRs go first does not mean its in more demand it just means there is a possibly supply difference.

So it depends on how they want to look at it in the end. Also there might be way more wait lists as well on 1BRs than 2BRs as well since people give up on getting a studio/2br and go after what they assume will be an easier to get room with their wait list.

This is the big issue with data sometimes. You can have 100% correct data but if you don't understand how to analyze it you come to the wrong conclusion.

My question out of this line of thoughts would be:
  • Is there more people in total numbers wanting a 1BR vs 2BR
  • Would changing the Studio vs 1BR point mix mean that 1BRs book quicker leaving more 2BR lockoffs in the inventory
  • Is the thing with 2BRs booking quicker than 1BRs the points or the lack of supply because lock-offs are becoming Studios + 1BRs instead of staying a 2BR bookable room (since studios are gone)

The point charts have to be this week right? Waiting to see if I want to book a trip next December or January for our big family trip. Want to know where the point charts change.

The point charts have to be this week right? Waiting to see if I want to book a trip next December or January for our big family trip. Want to know where the point charts change.

They just need to be out by Jan 23rd or 24th. The dates when people booking up to 7 nights from check in will start to have access to 2022 dates. However it's more likely they'll be available soon. The longer it goes then probably the larger the changes or at least that's what happened the last time they were released in late January.

The better benefit is the dining plan simply because its available 365 (well not right now because of COVID). With Moonlight its like 10 nights out of the year and thats it.

I could see moonlight being okay if they had it every single week of the year so everyone who stays a week has possible access. They could limit the first 24 hours of reservations to first timers every year. So you get priority the first time you book Moonlight but the 2/3/4/5th time you have to wait for the 1st timers of the year to have first crack.

Doubtful they can swing the cost though. Anything available year round is going to be better.
My suggestion is to give an incredibly good discount on after hour parties once per year (if we can remember those, it seems a century ago). Something like 70% discount or such. I bet even at 30% they would give a profit, DVC might pay to the parks division what they currently pay to rent the parks for a handful of nights to cover a bit of the costs, every member would be able to use the perk. A win for everyone.

Point charts for 2022 are up on the DVC site, it continues what was begun last year to reallocate some points from fall to other seasons.

Here are all the point charts for 2022:

Attachments

• POLY.pdf
    142.9 KB · Views: 8
  • OKW.pdf
    141.1 KB · Views: 9
  • HH.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BWV.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 9
  • VWL.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CCV.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 3
  • AKV.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BCV.pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BLT.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AUL.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 2
The remainder

Attachments

• VGF.pdf
    146.4 KB · Views: 6
  • VGC.pdf
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
  • VB.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SSR.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 4
  • RIV.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 5
I will say there is some craziness in the BWV charts with points going up and down across Studio/1BR/2BR in the same season.

Example Season 2:
Std Studio went down
Std 1BR went up
Std 2BR went up

I will say there is some craziness in the BWV charts with points going up and down across Studio/1BR/2BR in the same season.

Example Season 2:
Std Studio went down
Std 1BR went up
Std 2BR went up
This makes no sense, my guess it's a mistake. Last year there was an error on the VGC (I think) charts and they were updated a few days later.

This makes no sense, my guess it's a mistake. Last year there was an error on the VGC (I think) charts and they were updated a few days later.

I am seeing at Riviera 3rd season Standard View:
Studio - Stay same
1BR - Down 1 Point
2BR - Down 4 Points

But I think we need to look at plus and minus around unit types vs. just seasons to see if we can understand why

I think, from what I have done quickly, is that the changes within unit types for the seasons may not have been done the same. For example, how they adjusted studios for the year doesn’t necessarily track with how the adjusted the 1 bedrooms.

I think there is more there.

ETA. Summer,,,SV studio went down 9 points for the week but the 1 bedroom was reduced by 24...so in 2021 the 1 bedroom was 112 more for the week, but now it’s only 97 points more in 2022

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter