~Words/phrases that annoy you IRL or on Discussion Boards~

I say "fixin' to" as well. I am not choosing sides in what sounds like an argument between two people here on the DIS who seem to get on each other's nerves, but that is a good point that "fixin' to" in the south is kind of like "wicked" up north (although I don't think phorsenuf was the one who said "fixin' to" bothered her). It's just part of our language in the south, and is just another example of using a word or phrase in a way that it is not typically defined by the English language.

However, I thought this thread was specifically intended to be about how people write on the internet/e-mail, and not about words used by people verbally and just typed out because it's simply how one talks :confused:. Those are 2 separate things.

I don't think so. It said words/phrases that annoy your in real life or on discussion boards. So, it was pretty broad.

Oh yeah, you're right. That's what I get for not re-checking the original post :blush:. I guess I just assumed the best about the thread. People don't tend to get as offended or defensive about internet speak, but criticism about one's real-life speak, especially if it is a cultural phrase and not just some new-fangled or trendy word or phrase, is sure to cause those feelings.

See, I thought too it had to do with email/internet speak. So I apologize for getting testy.

My bad. ;) (I hate that one!)

too many pages too read. I hate to read back ;)

I hate pooch. when people describe their belly fat. Eeewww. That word just grosses me out.

Ohh she's just beyond annoying for this very reason. Sammie, EVOO, stoup - UG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE EVOO.:lmao: Hate Furbaby, took me like 2 weeks to figure out what that even meant. Same for Prolly! :rotfl2:

I with you all on 'ressies' :headache: It really shouldn't aggravate me, but it does :confused3 Why not type 'res', 'resv', or God forbid, 'reservation'?

Meltdown - A kid is not a nuclear reactor. They are throwing a tantrum or a having a fit!

I get irritated when people say 'flustrated'. It is either frustrated or flustered.

What about 'I could care less'. It is supposed to be 'I couldn't care less'.

What's wrong with Grandbabies??? I have always called my grandmother Grandmommy, isn't that sort of the same thing? She always called us her Grandbabies, just like my girls are our babies.

I really need to have people use paragraphs and spacing if I am going to read their posts.

If folks post photos it looks a lot better if they put a space between them so there is not a large block of just photo with no lines in between.

One real life phrase I detest is when someone says,"And your point is????" I have a family member who says that to me when I'm talking about something, and I find it extremely rude. Now her son does it as well. Grrr!

I can’t believe the word hillbilly is still being used. It’s an ethnic slur. As a Southerner, I am not only annoyed when I hear it or see it written, but find it offensive.

Really?? Sorry! I had no idea it was an ethnic (Southern?) slur. I've said it about people up here in NJ, as in:
There are a lot of hillbillys at the Sussex County fair!

I hate having to scroll left to right and back again to read someone's posts!!! It drives me batty! :crazy: It's usually very wide signatures that do this.

And any response that has no words, just a link. To me that is the equivilent of someone asking for directions and the person they ask doesn't speak a word. They just point. It's just rude and a little mean. Like, "how dare you ask such a stupid question." Or someone hears a rumour and types out their concerns and the next post is a link to snopes. To me that is like saying, "how could you be so foolish to believe that?" That is what it looks like to me anyway.

Furbabies gives me the creeps. :scared1:

It sounds like something out of a sci/fi movie,,,,you know like when in the V miniseries and the women gave birth to the alien only it was a lizard. It was a scalebaby. EEEKKKKKK!

IRL: I loathe when people say "nuc-u-lar" instead of nuclear. The is only one U People!!!!

Meltdown - A kid is not a nuclear reactor. They are throwing a tantrum or a having a fit!

With all due respect to your pet peeve, my child does have meltdowns. We do our best to avoid overstimulating her, but sometimes her reactions are beyond her control. There are plenty of times when she is throwing a tantrum or having a fit, but there are other times when her nervous system fritzed out. :headache:

Back to the topic, I really dislike DH, DD, DS, etc. but not enough to get fussy about it. I tend not to use abbreviations in general. I also dislike 'warsh' for wash and 'supposebly' instead of supposedly. Trendy terms like 'experiential' bother me, too. Everything in life is experiential.

words I don't like on the DIS...

anywho
my bad (I hate this one!)
prolly
Oh no you didn't!
*shrugs*
baby bump, preggie, prego, preggers
IRL: yous

Typing styles I don't like...

text message style, such as, "R U going 2?" - I don't even do this when I'm sending a text message!

Typing Everything With The First Letter Capitalized (Wow - just typing that line was a lot harder than regular typing. Why would anyone do this?)

LEAVING THE CAPS LOCK ON

Long posts with no paragraph breaks, poor punctuation, or a lot of spelling errors (I don't mind a couple, but having a lot of them is very annoying)

What doesn't bother me:
"ressies"
using acronyms (CRT, ADR, DH, DD, DS, etc.)
wicked and fixin' (I don't use them, but think they're great!)
new people who who ask the same questions that have been answered over and over again (the search function is horrible, and I remember being new and overwhelmed myself)

I detest "to die for!"

"Ooohhh, that yummy plum pudding with the creamy filling is to die for!"

Too many men, women and children are dying for no reason. To me this phrase trivialises that. :confused3

....OT....

I hate it when you go on a board, and half of the thread titles start with OT.

OT-How is Boma?
OT-Which lawnmower should I get?
OT-I made my ADRs!
OT-Which resort has fridges?
OT-My childs teacher is nuts.
OT-How to get to SeaWorld?

Why are they OT??? Doesn't that mean "Off Topic?" So if you are starting the thread, how can it be off topic??

Also---I dont mind the term "Furbabies" but I don't like when people compare pets to children--"My dogs are like children to me" "My cats are my kids"

I have pets and children, and they don't compare!!

Someone took offense to my using hillbilly and someone took offense to you saying you don't like the word wicked so I put them together and..oh forget it, LOL
I was just kidding around.;)
Ok :) My first thought was. "Good grief, what have I done now?" :lmao:

Also---I dont mind the term "Furbabies" but I don't like when people compare pets to children--"My dogs are like children to me" "My cats are my kids"

I have pets and children, and they don't compare!!

I agree, they don't compare!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter