~Words/phrases that annoy you IRL or on Discussion Boards~

I can’t believe the word hillbilly is still being used. It’s an ethnic slur. As a Southerner, I am not only annoyed when I hear it or see it written, but find it offensive.

Really?? I was born and raised here in Tennessee and we still use the word "hillbilly." I never thought of it as an ethnic slur. Do you also take offense to "redneck?" No flaming, just curious.

My biggest pet peeve, though, is when people type long or fairly long posts without dividing it into paragraphs, or even worse - without a decent attempt at punctuation. If I see a post like that, I don't even try to read it.

Amen to that! My eyes cross before I'm halfway into the story! :3dglasses

I don't mind furbabies although I'm not sure that I've ever referred to any of our guys as furbabies. Would I have to refer to our birds as featherbabies?

I'm perfectly fine with abbreviations for things like Walt Disney World (WDW) or the Magic Kingdom (MK), but abbreviating things like vacation (vaca) does grate my nerves. If you are only a few letters away from typing out the whole word, do it! I'm not sure why one bothers me and the others don't. :confused3

I was never a fan of the DW/DS/DM/DMaytag Repairman thing in the beginning but started doing it because I didn't want people to think I didn't consider Lauri "Dear" to me. :rotfl:

And typing like you are texting is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't even text like that.

Most of mine have been mentioned already except this one:

Wicked

It's wicked hot outside.
He is wicked cool.
I have a wicked headache.

Blech. I hate it IRL and on the boards.

Thats a part of New England dialect. Sorrry we all annoy you so.

I hate the phrase "back in the day." Which day? April 7, 1972?

Furbabies is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I'm an animal lover and my DOG's picture is in my signature. But the word furbaby just gets on my last nerve. I had never heard that until I read it on the DIS boards.

This isn't a word or phrase that bothers me, but I can't read posts where the first letter of every word is capitalized. I see it a lot and don't understand how anyone every picked it up as a a writing style. As soon as I see a post like that, I skip it. My brain just can't process it.

I know that. You never hear it down here. Sorry that it bugging me bothers you. I thought that's what this thread was for. :confused3

Well I think there is a difference when its a part of our language growing up verses silly abbreviations and shortcuts to the english language.

Its possible that some people here do not realize that "wicked" is a part of our dialect. Just like "fixin to" is a southern phrase.

Well I think there is a difference when its a part of our language growing up verses silly abbreviations and shortcuts to the english language.

Its possible that some people here do not realize that "wicked" is a part of our dialect. Just like "fixin to" is a southern phrase.

This is a thread about words and phrases that bother people. If "wicked" bothers someone then that is life. We all have things like that. That is the point of the thread. I'm sure there are things I say that are pointed out on this thread that were part of my language growing up and it doesn't bother me a bit.

I saw Racheal Ray on tv the other day and she used the word "sammie" for sandwich. Why? How does sammie mean sandwich? It made her sound 2 years old. I also agree with the person who mentioned "breakie" for breakfast. I guess this tells me I don't like cutsie terms.

This is a thread about words and phrases that bother people. If "wicked" bothers someone then that is life. We all have things like that. That is the point of the thread. I'm sure there are things I say that are pointed out on this thread that were part of my language growing up and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Which is why I pointed out its a regional thing and not some made up phrase. Its a part of who we are is all.

*sigh* I say "fixin' to" sometimes. It a Southern thing, it's a part of out dialect, too. If that phrase annoys someone I certainly wouldn't take offense to it.

But to each his own.

My biggest one is Uber-that drives me nuts!
I also don't like
WE are pregnant-when did guys get uterus's??
Sammies
Baby bump, preggie,prego, ressies
I really don't like Wicked either even if it is normal dialect for some places, the word Ya'll is like nails on a blackboard too. The one I really hate are YO and Dude (that is noraml around where I am and I can't stand those either!)

I can’t believe the word hillbilly is still being used. It’s an ethnic slur. As a Southerner, I am not only annoyed when I hear it or see it written, but find it offensive.

It's stereotypical and derogatory - but it is not an ethnic slur.

I saw Racheal Ray on tv the other day and she used the word "sammie" for sandwich. Why? How does sammie mean sandwich? It made her sound 2 years old. I also agree with the person who mentioned "breakie" for breakfast. I guess this tells me I don't like cutsie terms.

Ohh she's just beyond annoying for this very reason. Sammie, EVOO, stoup - UG!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* I say "fixin' to" sometimes. It a Southern thing, it's a part of our dialect

I say "fixin' to" as well. I am not choosing sides in what sounds like an argument between two people here on the DIS who seem to get on each other's nerves, but that is a good point that "fixin' to" in the south is kind of like "wicked" up north (although I don't think phorsenuf was the one who said "fixin' to" bothered her). It's just part of our language in the south, and is just another example of using a word or phrase in a way that it is not typically defined by the English language.

However, I thought this thread was specifically intended to be about how people write on the internet/e-mail, and not about words used by people verbally and just typed out because it's simply how one talks :confused:. Those are 2 separate things.

I must say as another poster brought up that starting all words with capital letters or typing every other letter as a capital is a typing style that also bugs me. Or when people type in all capitals :scared1:.

Testing, Testing: AS I WRITE THIS ON MY COMPUTER, I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS, BUT I THINK THE DIS AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES THAT INTO JUST THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD BEING CAPITALIZED (SO THAT PEOPLE DON'T SOUND QUITE SO MUCH LIKE THEY ARE YELLING AT EVERYONE, WHETHER ON PURPOSE OR OUT OF IGNORANCE).

ETA: Oh wow. My theory was proven wrong by my own experiment. So some people really do start every word with a capital on purpose. How bizarre :confused3 :rotfl2:.

However, I thought this thread was specifically intended to be about how people write on the internet/e-mail, and not about words used by people verbally and just typed out because it's simply one talks :confused:. Those are 2 separate things.
I don't think so. It said words/phrases that annoy your in real life or on discussion boards. So, it was pretty broad.

Testing, Testing: AS I WRITE THIS ON MY COMPUTER, I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS, BUT I THINK THE DIS AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES THAT INTO JUST THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD BEING CAPITALIZED (SO THAT PEOPLE DON'T SOUND QUITE SO MUCH LIKE THEY ARE YELLING AT EVERYONE, WHETHER ON PURPOSE OR OUT OF IGNORANCE).

ETA: Oh wow. My theory was proven wrong by my own experiment. So some people really do start every word with a capital on purpose. How bizarre :confused3 :rotfl2:.

:lmao: You've got me laughing too. Thanks for experimenting.

I don't think so. It said words/phrases that annoy your in real life or on discussion boards. So, it was pretty broad.

Oh yeah, you're right. That's what I get for not re-checking the original post :blush:. I guess I just assumed the best about the thread. People don't tend to get as offended or defensive about internet speak, but criticism about one's real-life speak, especially if it is a cultural phrase and not just some new-fangled or trendy word or phrase, is sure to cause those feelings.

Fairydust - what is wrong with grandbabies? I don't have grandchildren or even children, but that word sounds perfectly normal to me :confused:. Maybe it's a difference in American English and British English.

Anywho..........:rolleyes:
The word closure when used in relation to something sad
The saying "thinking outside the box"

I'm from Jersey so I'm sure I say things that aggravate my southern neighbors here in Virginia!!:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter