Winter Olympics

Me and my partner in ice dancing. Too bad we finished in last place.

russias-tiffani-zagorski-and-russias-jonathan-guerreiro-compete-in-picture-id920203140

But you looked great doing it!

I'm trying to remember... have we ever had a really good ice skating pair?

There's something about Tara & Johnny I like. They make me laugh, & I think Johnny could be fun to hang out with.

But I agree & think NBC's coverage is really poor. I miss seeing the medal ceremonies. And they're not doing a lot of the backstories like they used to do. And they're not going out in South Korea & telling us about the host country. (They may be doing this kind of thing on the morning shows, but I'm not watching the morning shows.)

And, remember, how they would take a little time to show/demonstrate different aspects of the sports - like the difference between a triple toe loop & triple axle or how the skiers' wax will affect their speed?
Medal ceremonies have been dispersed throughout the day but they don't really air during prime time nor as many as they used to. But I did a bit of digging and turns out it's not completely NBC's fault. And part of it is what I suspected---the vast time change difference and how the medal ceremonies are done.

Here's some information on it from an article I was reading (I highlighted the time change aspect and bolded some important parts):
"The biggest issue is a based on the IOC's decision to hold all medal ceremonies in a plaza nearby the Olympic Stadium.

The decision goes back to the 2002 Winter Olympics, when it was decided that medals wouldn't be awarded at the site of the competition but at nightly ceremonies instead.

In addition to giving out medals, the Salt Lake City medal plaza had nightly concerts by such heavy hitters as Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, Barenaked Ladies, Brooks and Dunn, Creed, Alanis Morissette and N'Sync. It was a hit, so the medal plaza concept continued.

Vancouver had the same kind of ceremony-as-party idea in 2010, except that those Games weren't as centralized as Salt Lake City. The Whistler ski resorts, where the skiing and snowboarding took place, are about two hours away from downtown Vancouver. So two different medal ceremonies were needed each night - one for the sports being contested in Vancouver and the other for the sports up in Whistler. There were still stars performing - Usher, Nelly Furtado, Deadmau5 and The Roots all appeared at one of the venues - but the experience was watered down even more.

And therein lies the problem in Pyeonchang. The most popular events in America (figure skating, skiing and snowboarding) are aired live at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT, which means they're contested in the morning in Korea. That means the medal ceremonies for those events don't take place for eight hours, or right in the middle of the night here in the United States. And for events that take place at night in Korea, the medals have to be awarded the following day, which means it can be as long as 24 hours before an athlete get their gold, silver or bronze.

Not only are there no live medal ceremonies for NBC to air its primetime telecast but most of the ceremonies are really old news. For example: Shaun White won his gold medal at 9:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday night. He got that medal around 5 a.m. ET on Wednesday. But NBC didn't have live primetime coverage for 15 hours after that. White's medal ceremony was shown 24 hours after he won his medal. It's still worth it but even at an event that features a lot of tape delay, that's pushing it."
--------------------------------------------------------
Figure skating may not be the best at describing but I know in other sports they've provided some background knowledge.

At some point I think it was during speed skating they discussed and had examples of figure skating shoes w/blade, speed skating and hockey to show how the different shoes and blades affect the sport including how the blade for speed skating hinges basically; they also discussed the gloves worn for speed skating. I know for bobsled they discussed not only the shoes they wear, but also the bobsled itself and how they control it, then they discussed the suits worn for downhill (normal and large) and why they are what they are. For the sports that involved jumping or going downhill and doing tricks they've been very good at discussing what those tricks entail and the verbage (at least a decent amount), etc.

Yes it looked like he was motionless for a few minutes.

I'm guessing the medal ceremony you say was the Biathlon Mixed Relay.

Seems likely. I did find that there is also a mixed parallel event in alpine skiing, but it hasn't happened yet, so it wasn't that.

USA won 4 medals Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning.:cheer2:

All by women.

And the women's hockey team is guaranteed a medal later today or tomorrow.

I wish that we could see some of the medal ceremonies. I don't who wins but I just love watching them. I wouldn't mind a delay.

I was wondering what was up with the Americans' speed skating outfits? Those are so weird.

I wish that we could see some of the medal ceremonies. I don't who wins but I just love watching them. I wouldn't mind a delay.

I was wondering what was up with the Americans' speed skating outfits? Those are so weird.

Do you have the app or can load the streams on the NBC Olympic website? There is a daily stream just for the Medal Ceremonies available when I look at the app on Roku. Here's a link to hopefully all the medal ceremony streams from the website (click on "see all" or use the carousel): http://www.nbcolympics.com/search/results?search_term=medal ceremony

Yes, why are their crotches white?? Such a bizarre look but there must be some reason behind it, right? It makes them go faster? It looks ridiculous.

Whoo Hoo! Gold for Team USA!!!!!

Congratulations to Badgers Brianna Decker, Meghan Duggan, Hilary Knight, Alex Rigsby and Madison native Amanda Kessel!

Condolences to Canadian Badgers Emily Clark, Ann-Renee Desbiens, Meaghan Mikkelson, Sarah Nurse and Blayre Turnbull.

Yes, there were a lot of Badgers playing tonight.

So happy for the girls. They worked so hard for this and have been waiting for it for so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter