• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do people randomly add the letter "s" to some restaurant names?

This whole thread is cracking me up. I would never correct a person’s grammar on the internet, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t doing it in my head. I immediately think of when people say “Victoria’s Secrets”. She has one secret people, and it’s her underwear!

I will never be able to think of ‘Ohana as anything but an Irish bar now!
You've read my mind.

This post is apropos of nothing, but I don't really understand why people randomly decide to add the letter "s" to the end of some restaurant names.

The big offenders on this board seem to be variations of both Jiko and 'Ohana. "Jikos", "Jiko's", "Ohana's", and so forth.

FWIW, I see and hear this all the time regarding non-Disney restaurants as well, but I guess with spending a lot of time on these boards it constantly brings it to the forefront of my mind. I guess I'm kind of an ***** about grammar in general, but these are just proper names, so I don't really understand why people transform them.

In any case, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Generally and historically a lot of single name restaurants are/were possessive.
Even mainstream we have 'Fridays' (not possessive, but would make more sense if it was), Applebee's, DonPablo's, Chili's, Arby's, Mcdonald's, Fleming's, Bertucci's, Friendly's, Joe's Crabshack, Denny's, Romano's, PF Changs, Carrabba's, etc.

Probably just a phonetic habit lol.

Then again, I grew up in South Philadelphia and now live in Jersey. You's guys wanna grab food?

My favorite internet word usage bungle of all time was on a Craigslist post for someone selling something made out of "wroth iron."

That iron must have been pretty angry!
I love the people selling "sequence" prom dresses. So are they multiple dresses sold in chronological order?

Funny how some of us have little things that bug them. For me it's not adding an s, it's when people use the word "weary" when they mean "wary" and vice versa, like nails on a blackboard for me. If you young people don't know what a blackboard is, google it. LOL

Being from the Philly area, when I say idea, I put an “r” on at the end and say idear. It’s a Philly regional thing.
It's not really a Philly thing..

From my experience it's a NE thing (though not every NE person does it).

Step-father-in-law is from just outside of Boston and every single person I've met around there says 'Idear'

As the inside joke goes with him he puts 'r's where they don't belong and fails to pronounce 'r's where they do belong

I just saw someone write "mute point" in another thread on this board.

It's taking all my self control to not inform them that it's "moot point."
One of my favorites from Friends:
Joey: This is all a moo point.
Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

How about Raglan Road being called Ragland Road ???? Why, just why.........?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter