Why do people randomly add the letter "s" to some restaurant names?

If it's good for "Selena", it's ok with the Dis -

AnythingForSelenas.gif

I come from a part of the country where the word "youse" is in general usage. As in "what do youse want for dinner? Jikos or O'hanas?" Rebel that I am, I refused to use "youse" in any sentences and the only time I refer to O'hanas is when I speak of O'hana's overly salted foods.

I always wondered about adding a third "n" to dining, thereby turning it into "dinning". But, at the end of the day, who cares? People are just here looking for help with their trips and, until the DIS hosts a spelling bee, it's all good!

I come from a part of the country where the word "youse" is in general usage. As in "what do youse want for dinner? Jikos or O'hanas?" Rebel that I am, I refused to use "youse" in any sentences and the only time I refer to O'hanas is when I speak of O'hana's overly salted foods.

I always wondered about adding a third "n" to dining, thereby turning it into "dinning". But, at the end of the day, who cares? People are just here looking for help with their trips and, until the DIS hosts a spelling bee, it's all good!

I only write "youse" whilst posting online when I feel particularly comfortable with my fellow posters or we're discussing regionalisms.
As far as using Jiko, 'Ohana, and youse in a sentence I'd prolly (look at that-slang!) go for: "Youse want Jiko's or 'Ohana's?";).
Still, I had a "combo" education (some schooling in the Caribbean and some in the USA) so my spelling sometimes confuses even me :rotfl2:.

Last edited:

The only thing I notice is loose always put where the word LOSE should be.

I wanted to loose my mind
I didn't want them to loose my luggage
I'm not going to loose any sleep over it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just a thought...........I think people sometimes add the s because they are used to adding the s to first or last names when speaking.

Merry Christmas from the Smiths
I'm going to the Cranes
I'm going to Kellys...I'm going to Michaels, I'm going to Bobs etc.

You might say I'm going to Target or Kmart and (never say Targets or Kmarts) but...... I bet a lot of people say I'm going to Costcos instead of just saying Costco

Just a thought...........I think people sometimes add the s because they are used to adding the s to first or last names when speaking.

Merry Christmas from the Smiths
I'm going to the Cranes
I'm going to Kellys...I'm going to Michaels, I'm going to Bobs etc.

You might say I'm going to Target or Kmart and (never say Targets or Kmarts) but...... I bet a lot of people say I'm going to Costcos instead of just saying Costco
I say Costco, Target, and Kmart (well we really don't have Kmart around us anymore lol) and so do a lot of people around me but then conversely I say I'm going to Penneys or ALDIs (and so do a lot of people around me).

I've probably done it without thinking about it. When a name ends in a vowel sound, or when it is a name (or sounds like a surname), it may be more likely to add the "s".

Kroger was the 'real world' example I was going to use...although, I'm not guilty of it. It drives me batty when I hear people say they're going to Kroger's. Of course, I also cringe when I also see people type O'hana ... because that makes it look like you're going to an Irish pub.

Kroger was the 'real world' example I was going to use...although, I'm not guilty of it. It drives me batty when I hear people say they're going to Kroger's. Of course, I also cringe when I also see people type O'hana ... because that makes it look like you're going to an Irish pub.

I'm guilty of always calling Kroger "Krogers". I don't know why I do it.

Maybe it is a shortened form of including the word restaurant in the name? For example, Jiko is being thought of as Jiko's restaurant and shorted to Jiko's?

Maybe it is a shortened form of including the word restaurant in the name? For example, Jiko is being thought of as Jiko's restaurant and shorted to Jiko's?

Even that would be incorrect unless Jiko was the name of the owner and it actually was "Jiko's restaurant".

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: This really cracked me up. Thank for the laugh! There's nothing that irks me more than the grammar police. Im posting on Dis to offer advice to travellers....then someone comes along and points out that my grammar or spelling is wrong. Really, get a life. :furious: That's not necessary and frankly thats just instigating an argument. There are a couple of posters on dis who are known for doing that sort of thing. Not cool!

Even that would be incorrect unless Jiko was the name of the owner and it actually was "Jiko's restaurant".

I wonder if it is done more often with restaurant names that do sound like they could be someone's actual name, like Jiko.

I only write "youse" whilst posting online when I feel particularly comfortable with my fellow posters or we're discussing regionalisms.
As far as using Jiko, 'Ohana, and youse in a sentence I'd prolly (look at that-slang!) go for: "Youse want Jiko's or 'Ohana's?";).
Still, I had a "combo" education (some schooling in the Caribbean and some in the USA) so my spelling sometimes confuses even me :rotfl2:.
And it is 'Ohana, a Polynesian restaurant, not O'hana, an Irish restaurant!
Denise

Yes! I cringe everytime I hear "Fords" and "Meijers"[/Q
I am from Michigan also. People here say “Fords” and “Meijers” because when those businesses started they were owned by those families. People worked for the Ford’s motor company and shopped at the Meijer’s store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter