• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do people randomly add the letter "s" to some restaurant names?

No, it’s “Pecos Bill.” No apostrophe; maybe it’s plural or just the plain name of a place.

It irks me more to see people write “dinning.” There is no such word. It’s “dining” people—a single letter N.

I hate correcting my fellow posters for spelling or grammar. As long as we all can understand each other, that’s what matters. :)

Yet, when I see the letter N written twice in “dining,” it annoys me irrationally.
Dinning is a real word - it just doesn't refer to food in any way! It means a loud, prolonged noise.

Dinning is a real word - it just doesn't refer to food in any way! It means a loud, prolonged noise.

Funny, I always thought the word “din” was a noun, and therefore, could not have an “ing” ending like a verb. But you are correct. :)

That said, I don’t think it’s possible for there to be a Disney Dinning Plan. Unless maybe we are talking about the cacophony of those Star Wars Marches in the Studios. Those things are deafening!

I would never point out grammar mistakes, but I have to say that the added S, dinning and loose vs lose irritates me too. I don’t know why, because I don’t have some outstanding knowledge of correct grammar usage, but it just drives me crazy.

I would never point out grammar mistakes, but I have to say that the added S, dinning and loose vs lose irritates me too. I don’t know why, because I don’t have some outstanding knowledge of correct grammar usage, but it just drives me crazy.

Same. “Dinning,” in particular, really drives me up the wall!!

It definitely is a geographical grammar thing.

I used to live in Hawaii, and that was very common. Costco there is "Costco's".

Makes me cringe whenever I see it on here. Glad to know I am not the only one. I was born and raised in New England, then moved to TN when I was about 9. Here everyone says "walmarts" "krogers" and such. They also "Sale" their stuff in yard "sells". And get stung by waspers, and use the "hose pipe" to water the lawn. Drives me up a wall!

I'll just throw in "Bay Lake Towers".
Also, why to people say "acrost", but usually spell across? Where does that 'T' sound come from???

I, too, am from Michigan and most of my friends say Kroger’s and Meijer’s. Drives me bonkers, but I keep my mouth shut. I love them and would never hurt their feelings by calling them out. These are educated people. It’s just a habit, I think.

:rotfl2:
I'm a teacher, and I go crazy seeing words misspelled as well as grammar mistakes. I even go back and edit what I've written if I notice a typo. However, I'm not going to be the one to point out any of the mistakes that I see. I'm not perfect, so I have no right to expect that from anyone else. I just quietly wince when I see the errors and move on.

This whole thread is cracking me up. I would never correct a person’s grammar on the internet, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t doing it in my head. I immediately think of when people say “Victoria’s Secrets”. She has one secret people, and it’s her underwear!

I will never be able to think of ‘Ohana as anything but an Irish bar now!

Yo dawg, yall's be makin fun uh all dis grammar and stuff. I be aiight yo. Dis cumin septemmer I gonna git lit at the mouze houze so yall's needz ta chill. Na meen? cum co-rected or get e-jected. Peace my bruthas an sistas. Im outta herr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter