Why do people randomly add the letter "s" to some restaurant names?

rg35

DIS Veteran
This post is apropos of nothing, but I don't really understand why people randomly decide to add the letter "s" to the end of some restaurant names.

The big offenders on this board seem to be variations of both Jiko and 'Ohana. "Jikos", "Jiko's", "Ohana's", and so forth.

FWIW, I see and hear this all the time regarding non-Disney restaurants as well, but I guess with spending a lot of time on these boards it constantly brings it to the forefront of my mind. I guess I'm kind of an ***** about grammar in general, but these are just proper names, so I don't really understand why people transform them.

In any case, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I guess I'm kind of an ***** about grammar in general, but these are just proper names, so I don't really understand why people transform them.

Why do people hear, remember, and/or spell ANYTHING wrong? Because it's either not their forte or not that important to them. Or they are dyslexic. Or any other reason. Doesn't really matter. The restaurants aren't getting their feelings hurt by it. And the message gets across; you know exactly what restaurants they are talking about, and google would figure it out, too.

I like spelling things correctly and writing precisely, and if a *business* spells something terribly I'll reach out to them (like the dentist offering low level "radition" xrays, or Disneyland advertising that you can meet the "StromTroppers" or that they have "artesian" bread when they mean "artisan") to let them know, but when talking to private individuals, IMO that's just not needed or very appropriate on a place like the Dis, IMO.

Though, since you brought it up and since you seem to want to use language correctly, it's totally and completely NOT OK anymore to diminish the atrocities of the Holocaust by using the name for the German forces after "grammar" (or "soup" or anything else). That's why ya got censored by the Dis. At least that's the word I assume you were trying to write...

Unfortunately the incorrect names were introduced to me (ohanas) and (jikos) here on the board, so I think it stuck with my memory. However, I did make it a point to correct myself on the boards once someone else pointed it out. I think it also may come from the fact many standard American restaurants end in 's'. Think about "Tony's" for example.

Lol! It's not important but I agree! I guess it's a pet peeve because the superfluous "S" on anything has irritated me since I was a kid.

I think of it as the family restaurants belonging to the family, hence the possessive noun like: Pepe's Pizza Restaurant owned by Pepe and his family; Vazzy's Restaurant belonging to the Vazzano family.

My nephew is the owner and chef of the Fifth Season Restaurant on Long Island. Nobody puts an "S" on that name. I think it happens more when it is a person's name on it.

It makes some sense when you realize that it's easier to say some words ending in S rather than some other sound. Doesn't work for everything..."Chipotle's" as opposed to "Jiko's"

Doesn't make it grammatically correct, but it's perfectly acceptable to make simple grammar errors in an informal setting like this forum, provided it doesn't alter the intent of the message.

It makes some sense when you realize that it's easier to say some words ending in S rather than some other sound. Doesn't work for everything..."Chipotle's" as opposed to "Jiko's"

Doesn't make it grammatically correct, but it's perfectly acceptable to make simple grammar errors in an informal setting like this forum, provided it doesn't alter the intent of the message.
The proper name of the resturant in question is :
Jiko: The Cooking Place

Don't think that's going to happen anywhere outside of a formal critique such as one would find in a newspaper;).

Interesting.. I also say peco bills but it's Peco Bill...

I think maybe when people refer to a restaurant as in "hey let's go to Peco Bill's" we are referring to them as proper names as in people as they are named.. Example we say let's go to mom's or let's got to Dan's house.. So establishments in our minds are personalized places that have ownership.. Ohana is a "person" and we are going to their place...

do I make sense??

exception would be names that are things.. ex. Olive Garden no one says Olive Gardens.... now if it was just Olive people would say Olive's

Maybe Mcdonalds started it? or is it Mcdonald????

Interesting.. I also say peco bills but it's Peco Bill...

No, it’s “Pecos Bill.” No apostrophe; maybe it’s plural or just the plain name of a place.

It irks me more to see people write “dinning.” There is no such word. It’s “dining” people—a single letter N.

I hate correcting my fellow posters for spelling or grammar. As long as we all can understand each other, that’s what matters. :)

Yet, when I see the letter N written twice in “dining,” it annoys me irrationally.

No, it’s “Pecos Bill.” No apostrophe; maybe it’s plural or just the plain name of a place.

It irks me more to see people write “dinning.” There is no such word. It’s “dining” people—a single letter N.

I hate correcting my fellow posters for spelling or grammar. As long as we all can understand each other, that’s what matters. :)

Yet, when I see the letter N written twice in “dining,” it annoys me irrationally.
Haha, Pecos Bill is a famous "tall tale" character (ie Paul Bunyan and the like).
Completely agree about "dinning" though, drives me nuts.

Though, since you brought it up and since you seem to want to use language correctly, it's totally and completely NOT OK anymore to diminish the atrocities of the Holocaust by using the name for the German forces after "grammar" (or "soup" or anything else). That's why ya got censored by the Dis. At least that's the word I assume you were trying to write...

I actually wrote butthole, but with the letter "a" replacing butt...assuming that was benign enough to make it past the censor. Silly me.

I did not use the word you thought for the very reason you stated.

My favorite internet word usage bungle of all time was on a Craigslist post for someone selling something made out of "wroth iron."

That iron must have been pretty angry!

It is definitely a Midwest thing. We do it to restaurants and grocery stores etc. My sister in law had no idea we did it until she moved to CA and people asked her why she did it all the time. She then told me. Something I never realized either. It is something you grow up hearing everyone doing and learn it from that. Probably will never change - it is very very ingrained in language here (Ohio)

It is definitely a Midwest thing. We do it to restaurants and grocery stores etc. My sister in law had no idea we did it until she moved to CA and people asked her why she did it all the time. She then told me. Something I never realized either. It is something you grow up hearing everyone doing and learn it from that. Probably will never change - it is very very ingrained in language here (Ohio)

Speak for yourself! ;)

Chicago here, we don't add an S to restaurants.

We will put "the" in front of a lot of things though...going to "the" Jewel for milk. Running to "the" Target for socks. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter