~Why Do People Let There Dogs Jump!!!

He's well trained in many other ways but I can't seem to fix his super-excited greetings at the door. I'd love some advice. (he's a 2 year old golden, if that makes any difference).

Does your dog have a sit-stay or down-stay? I would work on that. Door-bell rings, dog goes nuts, tell the dog to sit or down and stay... dog stays in that position and can't jump.

One of my GSD's doesn't jump, but my female would if we let her. We are just very consistent on the sit stay when someone comes to the door. If you have a family member who can help, have one person standing there with the dog with a handful of treats making sure he stays in his sit or down, while the other person goes to the door to greet your visitors. With enough practice, you should be able to just tell your dog to stay and answer the door, and have your golden stay put. The nice thing about goldens is though they have lots of energy and enthusiasm, they also are very trainable and eager to please. :thumbsup2

Another thing you can do is train her to a mat/throw rug. Take her to it, tell her sit on your mat (or whatever phrase you want) and pop her a treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, eventually adding in distractions. Our dogs are so funny, if they hear the treat bucket rattle, they all look around for the mat, rush to it, and try to squeeze on it together! (I even take it with me when we go visit my mom, since it's just a throwrug...)

We also have a house rule that no one is allowed to "acknowledge" an excited dog, we literally turn our back and cross our arms on him/her. Minute the dog's butt hits the floor, it's treat, treat, treat.

Terri

Another thing you can do is train her to a mat/throw rug. Take her to it, tell her sit on your mat (or whatever phrase you want) and pop her a treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, eventually adding in distractions. Our dogs are so funny, if they hear the treat bucket rattle, they all look around for the mat, rush to it, and try to squeeze on it together! (I even take it with me when we go visit my mom, since it's just a throwrug...)

We also have a house rule that no one is allowed to "acknowledge" an excited dog, we literally turn our back and cross our arms on him/her. Minute the dog's butt hits the floor, it's treat, treat, treat.

Terri

I might have to use that. We are in need of some door training here and that is pretty good. Thanks!

Although I have a problem with one of my dogs is PICKY about treating (border collie of course) but she is OCD with her ball so hmmmm.....

Does your dog have a sit-stay or down-stay? I would work on that. Door-bell rings, dog goes nuts, tell the dog to sit or down and stay... dog stays in that position and can't jump.

One of my GSD's doesn't jump, but my female would if we let her. We are just very consistent on the sit stay when someone comes to the door. If you have a family member who can help, have one person standing there with the dog with a handful of treats making sure he stays in his sit or down, while the other person goes to the door to greet your visitors. With enough practice, you should be able to just tell your dog to stay and answer the door, and have your golden stay put. The nice thing about goldens is though they have lots of energy and enthusiasm, they also are very trainable and eager to please. :thumbsup2

Yes, he knows sit and stay. He's a good boy, for the most part. But for some reason he gets in that "red zone" when someone comes over. Especially if it;s my brother or my mom. He ADORES them and just can't seem to control himself when he sees them. They allow him to walk all over them. They ignore all my tips and rules regarding the dog, so while he loves them, he doesn't respect them. He gets super happy to see me when I come home but he will not jump on me. He sits with his whole back end wiggling, but he sits. With them, or anyone else besides the people who live here, he goes insane. I wish I could train my relatives, then maybe I could more easily train the dog, :lmao:

I know what you mean.

I'm afraid of dogs, too, well mainly the big dogs. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter