~Why Do People Let There Dogs Jump!!!

:rotfl:I would love for you to come and teach my dog the one bark rule!

:rotfl: I know some people have different opinions on their pets behaviors and feel that it's a dogs "job" to notify you someone is there or alert you when something isn't right. I understand that. Maybe we just got lucky with our dog because he never barks when someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door. I don't even think we had to train him...:confused3 but some dogs are just insane with the barking.:eek:

Even when the guest comes in and has been there for awhile the dogs just bark and bark. I guess I don't know how people can tolerate that. I just think it's rude when you're trying to have a conversation and the dog just constantly barks.

:rotfl:I would love for you to come and teach my dog the one bark rule!

Even though my dog jumps (and as I mentioned in my previous post, I put him on a very short leash when guests come).... He doesn't bark. I have no idea why. He just really isn't a barker.

He knows how to bark, and when he wants something he barks. But, he doesn't bark at people. I do like that aspect of him. I have a feeling the next dog I get will be the opposite.. bark all the time but not jump. That would be my type of luck! lol.

Again. to the OP, I do hope it isn't infected. :(

That's just someone who can't control their dog. It may be more difficult to stop the barking, but jumping up is easy to stop. I've taught my guy to stay up at the top of the stairs when the door bell rings, it's just too crowded down at the door with a bunch of 80 pound wiggle trying to get attention.

you are going to their house, so you have deal with it..

Not like they are bringing the dog to yours..

This is kind of how I feel about it, my dogs don't jump, but they do bark, and sniff........but THEY live here. I don't put them "away" when anyone comes over.
I also don't have any friends that are afraid of my dogs.

I never met this person! I was going to pick up a table from CL's and was not informed of the dog ahead of time!

I don't think she needed to inform you of the dog.
and its a puppy right? not a vicious unprovoked attack.
it was most likely being playful. still unacceptable behavior, but not mean and vicious.

it was most likely being playful. still unacceptable behavior, but not mean and vicious.

well, I disagree! I think people that own dogs need to be much more responsible! I would have not gone in or would have had her put the dog in another room had I known. and NO it was not a playful hit!! That little thing was nasty!!
I am seeing a dr. tomorrow. Let that be a lesson to them!

well, I disagree! I think people that own dogs need to be much more responsible! I would have not gone in or would have had her put the dog in another room had I known. and NO it was not a playful hit!! That little thing was nasty!!
I am seeing a dr. tomorrow. Let that be a lesson to them!

what kind of dog is it? just curious

You should not have to forewarn someone that you are afraid of dogs.

Guests shouldn't be used as a training device. Put your stupid dogs away if you are going to have a guest over. When someone was coming to my home, the dog went downstairs until that someone asked where the dog was and I should let it up.

I completely agree.

I just woke and it looks like it bled all night long (small amounts)

Bleeding = oxygen is present in the wound. Oxygen + anaerobic organism like tetanus = dead anaerobic organism. = no tetanus shot required.

And even if you wanted one, the toxoid shot would be the one you want, without the diphtheria and pertussis (if my mom were alive she could tell you how frighteningly ill she became, for a month, after being lied to about getting the toxoid but actually getting the DPT against her wishes...death had nothing to do with THAT medical error by the way, not trying to terrify LOL), for many reasons *along with* the reason that the DPT shot won't help out if you already have tetanus in your system (much like even if a flu shot is going to "take" and not hurt you more, it's NOT going to help you immediately if you've already been exposed to the flu)

And...almost no place has the plain and simple toxoid.

But it's all moot b/c the oxygen introduced into the wound as it bled has taken care of any tetanus that MIGHT have been in the wound, so you're all good.

I never met this person! I was going to pick up a table from CL's and was not informed of the dog ahead of time!

Oh gracious don't go to someone's HOME for a craigslist pickup! Ack! Meet at a PUBLIC place. Not someone's home... Dog bite is the least of your problems when doing that.... glad you're OK!

I completely agree.

Bleeding = oxygen is present in the wound. Oxygen + anaerobic organism like tetanus = dead anaerobic organism. = no tetanus shot required.

And even if you wanted one, the toxoid shot would be the one you want, without the diphtheria and pertussis (if my mom were alive she could tell you how frighteningly ill she became, for a month, after being lied to about getting the toxoid but actually getting the DPT against her wishes...death had nothing to do with THAT medical error by the way, not trying to terrify LOL), for many reasons *along with* the reason that the DPT shot won't help out if you already have tetanus in your system (much like even if a flu shot is going to "take" and not hurt you more, it's NOT going to help you immediately if you've already been exposed to the flu)

And...almost no place has the plain and simple toxoid.

But it's all moot b/c the oxygen introduced into the wound as it bled has taken care of any tetanus that MIGHT have been in the wound, so you're all good.

Oh gracious don't go to someone's HOME for a craigslist pickup! Ack! Meet at a PUBLIC place. Not someone's home... Dog bite is the least of your problems when doing that.... glad you're OK!

yah, thanks for the science lesson, but no need. I am a chemist/ microbiologist. And maybe where you live there is an issue with going to someones home to get a "dining set" but that is not some thing we have with issues here! I deal daily with CL. Never once a problem, well, except stupid dog owners!

And maybe where you live there is an issue with going to someones home to get a "dining set" but that is not some thing we have with issues here! I deal daily with CL. Never once a problem, well, except stupid dog owners!

OP I think Bumbershoot has a point, you should really be careful going to a strangers home...........just because its Marblehead doesn't mean anything.........crazy people live everywhere.
and that could be precisely the reason the dog was not put out of sight, she also had a "stranger" coming to her home from CL.

we hear stories all the time about CL and crime
just be careful.

OP I think Bumbershoot has a point, you should really be careful going to a strangers home...........just because its Marblehead doesn't mean anything.........crazy people live everywhere.
and that could be precisely the reason the dog was not put out of sight, she also had a "stranger" coming to her home from CL.

we hear stories all the time about CL and crime
just be careful.

ok, we are going to stop this right now. It was NOT because I came to the house, the women admitted her dog is nuts and her boyfriend said he hates when this dog does this.
as for me going to someones home. They would be more afraid of me then me of them.

case closed......period, over and out!

ok, we are going to stop this right now. It was NOT because I came to the house, the women admitted her dog is nuts and her boyfriend said he hates when this dog does this.
as for me going to someones home. They would be more afraid of me then me of them.

case closed......period, over and out!

You don't have to get upset.
just making an observation.
thats all.
:)

You don't have to get upset.
just making an observation.
thats all.
:)

that is why I said nothing about CL to begin with! The issue at hand is a noisy barking clawing little dog, and leave it to the Dis to turn it. It is so irritating!

that is why I said nothing about CL to begin with! The issue at hand is a noisy barking clawing little dog, and leave it to the Dis to turn it. It is so irritating!

No one "turned" anything...just tried to give you advice so you'd stay safe :confused3.

But FWIW- I think they should've warned you, too. What if you were allergic to dogs?

I admit it. My dog jumps on people. He's a big old boy and it's out of pure love, but because he's so big, it is overwhelming to people. We do not have visitors often. However, if I know someone is coming over, or someone comes to the door that I want to let in the house, I make the dog go outside or in a bedroom. I'd never let him surprise someone like that.

He's well trained in many other ways but I can't seem to fix his super-excited greetings at the door. I'd love some advice. (he's a 2 year old golden, if that makes any difference).

I know. You have phobic people on these boards that are afraid to buy/sell things WITH LIVE PEOPLE, especially CARS. They really think people are "out to get them".:lmao:

This is kind of how I feel about it, my dogs don't jump, but they do bark, and sniff........but THEY live here. I don't put them "away" when anyone comes over.

Seriously? You just don't get it. And I think you never will. And this is why we have a problem in this world. People are not willing or able to think about other people's feelings. They will do whatever they want. Everyone else be damned. Sad, sad, sad...

And, as for why people let their dogs jump? Because they're idiots.

Seriously? You just don't get it. And I think you never will. And this is why we have a problem in this world. People are not willing or able to think about other people's feelings. They will do whatever they want. Everyone else be damned. Sad, sad, sad...

And, as for why people let their dogs jump? Because they're idiots.

Did you miss the part where I said my dogs DON"T jump ?? did you miss the part where I said my friends are not afraid of dogs.
they bark when someone knocks, they stop, they sniff, they are dogs.
they don't jump.
why would I put them out of sight?
why don't you read what I wrote before you criticize what I said. no need to attack me

Did you miss the part where I said my dogs DON"T jump ?? did you miss the part where I said my friends are not afraid of dogs.
they bark when someone knocks, they stop, they sniff, they are dogs.
they don't jump.
why would I put them out of sight?
why don't you read what I wrote before you criticize what I said. no need to attack me

I did read your post.

Ok, great, your friends are not afraid of dogs. You do realize that some people are and some people just don't like dogs. You would put your dogs away from your invited guests because you should repsect the people you've invited to your home.

If the only people you invite to your home are your friends that you know have no problem with being jumped on and sniffed, then, by all means, let your dogs do what they want when they come.

I half-agree... I don't put my dogs away when people come over either, and my dogs are obnoxious. But I clearly state when inviting people over that the dogs are obnoxious, jumping and barking for the first 5 mins, then they go lay down and go back to sleep (they are 10 yrs old, that's all the excitement they can take). But I definitely inform anyone coming over about them. If I know that someone does not want to deal with the dogs, they are not invited over. We'll go to their place, or meet somewhere else.

The knee to the chest worked great... for them not to jump on DH or I! Doesn't carry over to other people though, because visitors weren't consistent with doing it. And I don't expect them to train the dogs for us so couldn't really be after every single person to do it. After 10 yrs, it is what it is. If you can't deal with a couple minutes of jumping, it would be better to not come over.

To the OP, they definitely should have told you! Hope you feel better.

And to another PP, i'll admit to a mild cat-phobia myself. We are definitely dog people. :) I used to sleep over my cousins house (who is now the proverbial cat lady) and her cat would attack and try to claw my feet all the time. Freaked me out... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter