~Why Do People Let There Dogs Jump!!!

NatashaDisneyCM

DIS Veteran
(their not there)...sorry...on people who walk in the door? I am deathly afraid of dogs,
and I went to an extremely nice area in Marblehead, I walked in and this dog...not a cute dog either, jumped all over me and nailed me in the upper leg!
Broke my skin, and I am bleeding and have this huge lump that is a dark purple!

I know there is a ton of dog lovers on here. But I did nothing to this dog, and she did not warn me, I walked in and got nailed!

I am sorry, but not everyone that visits you likes dogs. This hurts pretty bad, and I know she feels bad. But I just did not ask for this.

had to vent!!

(their not there)...sorry...on people who walk in the door? I am deathly afraid of dogs,
and I went to an extremely nice area in Marblehead, I walked in and this dog...not a cute dog either, jumped all over me and nailed me in the upper leg!
Broke my skin, and I am bleeding and have this huge lump that is a dark purple!

I know there is a ton of dog lovers on here. But I did nothing to this dog, and she did not warn me, I walked in and got nailed!

I am sorry, but not everyone that visits you likes dogs. This hurts pretty bad, and I know she feels bad. But I just did not ask for this.

had to vent!!

I'm not too crazy about poorly trained dogs myself, clean that wound good, hope you feel better soon.

I am a huge dog lover, but I don't like when I go into someones house and their dogs jump and bark. The minute someone comes to my door, I either put the dogs away or out in the yard.

They shouldn't do that, but I'm a animal lover so I don't mind. But I hate when they let them sniff your stuff :rotfl:

I put neosporine on it. it HURTS!! Had I known they had a dog, I would have forewarned them I am afraid of dogs. The puppy is 15 months old, and she right away pulled out all the papers to show me the dog is up to date on shots etc....
I felt bad she felt bad....but it HURTS!!:scared1:

I'm so very sorry that happened to you. I know what you feel like about being scared when a dog jumps at you. Our family just got our first dog a year and 1/2 ago and we are still trying to break him of jumping up on people. Thankfully he has not hurt anyone. I tell him OFF but it's not working, I will have to try using a water bottle and OFF. Again, I'm so sorry you were hurt :grouphug:

Another way to break a dog of jumping is the old "knee to the chest" trick. As the dog jumps say "NO JUMPS" loudly and bend your knee so it hits the dog in the chest. The dog might fall over and give you a dirty look but it only takes a few repetitions to get the message across. It might continue to jump on others but it won't jump on you!

I learned this at obedience class. It worked on my cockers of about 25 pounds each. My new Pom is so small the knee ends up over her head. We're going to try the "squirt with a water bottle" trick with Miss Roxie.

You should not have to forewarn someone that you are afraid of dogs.

Guests shouldn't be used as a training device. Put your stupid dogs away if you are going to have a guest over. When someone was coming to my home, the dog went downstairs until that someone asked where the dog was and I should let it up.

I put neosporine on it. it HURTS!! Had I known they had a dog, I would have forewarned them I am afraid of dogs. The puppy is 15 months old, and she right away pulled out all the papers to show me the dog is up to date on shots etc....
I felt bad she felt bad....but it HURTS!!:scared1:

So, wait...this dog jumped up and BIT you? :eek: You're going to need to see a doctor. Bites can be very nasty and hard to keep clean. She may be up to date on rabies, et al, but dog mouths carry a whole host of nasties. And that old saying that dog's mouths are cleaner than people's mouths? Don't you believe it. People carry lots of germs too, but we don't lick each other's butts! Shame on your friend for allowing her 15month old dog to jump on you!

I have no patience for poorly trained dogs.

Me either. My mother acquired a Border Collie pup 3 years ago(yeah, just what a tottery 74yo lady needs~oy :sad2:) She actually *taught* the dog to jump up "for kisses" so she wouldn't have to bend down to greet the dog. :headache: We need a head-smacking smiley.

I find the simplest method is to shun doggie and never pet it in an excited state. I also block, with whatever, knee, arm, etc...and say no.

You train the dog to calmly sit before it is allowed to get pets. And it has to sit "pretty".

I was over at my sister's and the BIL brings their untrained puppy over. Granted he is 4 months but heck he is not little.

Well I watch as the GF allows the puppy to jump on her as she sits pets the pup wildly and then a few minutes later the dog repeats the jumping however this time the GF does not want to pet the pup, so the pup ends up nipping her and clawing her.

She turns to me and says...."why does he do that?" I said because you allow him to. You can't let him in your lap one minute and then expect the pup to know you don't want him to do that again.

This is of course after she sees the pup walk over to me and I make him sit and then pet him.;)

I told her I have 2 big dogs. Training them to jump on you is not something you want to do. Yes it is cute when they are puppies but when they are 70+lbs....not so cute.

So, wait...this dog jumped up and BIT you? :eek: You're going to need to see a doctor. Bites can be very nasty and hard to keep clean. She may be up to date on rabies, et al, but dog mouths carry a whole host of nasties. And that old saying that dog's mouths are cleaner than people's mouths? Don't you believe it. People carry lots of germs too, but we don't lick each other's butts! Shame on your friend for allowing her 15month old dog to jump on you!

sorry, lol It was not a bite, it was that he ran to the back side of me and clawed me throu my pants really hard!! It felt like a bite!! At first that is what I thought had happened. But we looked at it, and she sprayed some stuff on me.

I was kind of in shock! It was a little, nosey dog...loud! I had just stepped in and did not even see, but I heard him.
and then it happened.

If it was a bite I would go to the ER. Do you think I need to for a claw?

sorry, lol It was not a bite, it was that he ran to the back side of me and clawed me throu my pants really hard!! It felt like a bite!! At first that is what I thought had happened. But we looked at it, and she sprayed some stuff on me.

I was kind of in shock! It was a little, nosey dog...loud! I had just stepped in and did not even see, but I heard him.
and then it happened.

If it was a bite I would go to the ER. Do you think I need to for a claw?

Did the claw scratch your skin or did it just scratch you through the fabric? If the dog's nasty dirty claw scratched you, you need to keep an eye on it. Claws, like fingernails, can deliver a lot of icky stuff

Did the claw scratch your skin or did it just scratch you through the fabric? If the dog's nasty dirty claw scratched you, you need to keep an eye on it. Claws, like fingernails, can deliver a lot of icky stuff

it went threw my pants, and it is bleeding, and I have a hole where he hit it. I put neosporine on a bandaid and put that on it for the night. I will check it in the morning, and go to the ER if I need to

I dont know that I would be so sure it was his claw and that he didnt actually bite you. Some dogs gets mouthy when excited. How long ago did it happen that its still bleeding?

At the very least I would tell this friend that she needs to keep her dog from jumping up on anybody and she should have her dog in another room when a guest comes if she cant!

Sorry it hurts so much. Maybe have it looked at.

OP are you current on your tetnus? Are you diabetic or any other condition making you more prone to infection? If you are then you should keep a close eye on it, or your doc may want to do antibiotic for prophylaxis. No need for the ER. Call your md if you are concerned

Ouch! To go thru pants and cut you, that dog needs its nails trimmed. And yeah, if you are sore, see redness, inflammation (at all) see a dr tomorrow, no need to get an infection and dogs have lots and lots of germs. Sorry this happened. And hopefully it will resolve itself without too much issue!
I love dogs, but that behavior is not good nor tolerable IMHO!
Hope you feel better Very quickly! :grouphug:

it went threw my pants, and it is bleeding, and I have a hole where he hit it. I put neosporine on a bandaid and put that on it for the night. I will check it in the morning, and go to the ER if I need to

Definitely keep an eye on that. If you develop a red streak from it, even a little one, you need to see a doctor.

Ugh, I hate jumping dogs! I take my two dogs to the dog park quite often and I always end up covered in mud from other people's dogs jumping on me! :mad: Ok, yes, I am at a dog park, but that doesn't mean I want your badly trained dog on top of me!

I stopped working a month before my due date, when I was pregnant with DS. I started taking the dogs to the dog park daily because it was a nice outing, some decent exercise for me, and it kept the dogs from wearing me out for the rest of the day. The last day that I went to the park before DS was born was 6 days before my due date.... the biggest Rottweiler I've ever seen jumped up on me, both paws right on my stomach. :scared: Immediately, my smaller German Shepherd, Sasha, tackled this dog that easily outweighed her by a good 50 lbs and pinned him to the ground. The owner was very apologetic... the Rott was young and friendly, but I still ended up having to go to the hospital to get checked out. Ugh. Thankfully my son was fine, but I kept both me and my crazy overprotective Sasha-Bear out of the park until DS was a few months old!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter