~Why Do People Let There Dogs Jump!!!

Sadly, My dog is not trained very well to not jump. We do not get many visitors to our house, which I feel has something to do with that.

However, I put him on a short leash when someone does comes over. He is a smaller dog, but I know that not everyone wants a dog jumping at them. I would be terrified if he hurt someone or jumped on someone who didn't like dogs.

I am sorry this happened to you.

I feel you. I'm not going to lie. . .I am NOT a dog person. By the time I was 10 I had witnessed two pretty severe dog attacks. The last one was with a neighbor's dog that I had actually played quite a few times with and felt comfortable with. . .BUT she turned on a friend's little brother and he ended up with over 200+ stitches in his back.

I want to like dogs . . .but until I get to know them on MY terms. . .keep that damn thing away from me! I have owned one dog. He was a small cocker pekingese mix. I knew as soon as I got him that he didn't like little kids. So, no matter how much I loved him, I did not trust him around little kids. . .not people he had just met. Your friend was wrong for even letting her dog jump on you.

Funny story. . .I went to visit my aunt in San Fransisco. As soon as I opened the door of the rental car, this huge doberman came bounding out of the house at me. I was back in that car soooo fast! Lol! My aunt came out. ."oh she's harmless. . .blah blah blah. . .didn't matter to me. BUT. . honestly by the end of the week there, she was my best buddy. What a good sweet dog. . .However! Give me time to get to know the dog and make my own choices. My aunt was good about keeping us separated until I felt comfortable getting to know her.

I apologize in advance to any dog lovers here, BUT my personal philosophy is that I'm ok if I can pick it up and through it across the room. .. if I can't. . .then I have to get to know it first. I'm a cat person. . .I never met a cat that I was scared of. ..and I've met some crazy, scary cats. BUT I totally respect if you come to my house and you are not a cat person. Fear is fear. Be a responsible pet owner. Understand that every Joe isn't going to instantly love your pet. My cat would never go out after somebody. . .but if somebody was new to her and I could obviously see she wasn't happy. . .whipping her tail and ears back. .. you better believe I would tell them to stop because she is getting mad. If I knew they were afraid of her to begin with. . .she'd be out of sight anyway.

Pet owners that don't get that are right up there with parents who think their kids are angels all the time. It's just wrong and rude. :(

ETA- I hope you heal up without any problems, but keep an eye on it and go see a doctor at the first sign of infection.

I'm a cat person. . .I never met a cat that I was scared of. ..and I've met some crazy, scary cats. BUT I totally respect if you come to my house and you are not a cat person. Fear is fear. Be a responsible pet owner. Understand that every Joe isn't going to instantly love your pet. My cat would never go out after somebody. . .but if somebody was new to her and I could obviously see she wasn't happy. . .whipping her tail and ears back. .. you better believe I would tell them to stop because she is getting mad. If I knew they were afraid of her to begin with. . .she'd be out of sight anyway.

It's so funny that you say that because I totally have a fear of cats... but I am always too embarassed about it say anything when I'm visiting people with cats. :lmao: I have two 95 lb German Shepherds and have been known to go stomping into a dog fight foot-first to break it up... but cats scare the bejeezus out of me! My childhood best friend had a MEAN cat who always tried to bite me... he was declawed and he would stand in the doorway to block my way and hiss.

I guess it needs to go all way with pet owners - respect other people's boundaries! :thumbsup2

It's so funny that you say that because I totally have a fear of cats... but I am always too embarassed about it say anything when I'm visiting people with cats. :lmao: I have two 95 lb German Shepherds and have been known to go stomping into a dog fight foot-first to break it up... but cats scare the bejeezus out of me! My childhood best friend had a MEAN cat who always tried to bite me... he was declawed and he would stand in the doorway to block my way and hiss.

I guess it needs to go all way with pet owners - respect other people's boundaries! :thumbsup2

That's exactly it! I grew up with cats. I understand them and can read there body language. I know how to deal with their behaviors. I get that everybody may not have that. I was not raised with dogs. . .and I'll be the first to admit when I had my dog I didn't have the first clue. But it all worked out. :) But like you said. . .you just have to respect everybody's differences. I do that. I kind of find it odd that somebody could be afraid of a 10lb cat but not of a 95lb dog. . .BUT I do GET it! :laughing:

BTW. . .I would have hissed back at that friends cat in my best mamma cat voice that he would have been shaking in his little paws! :rotfl2:

I am sorry this happen to you. If you already clean it and put antibiotic you should be fine just keep applying the antibiotic for a few days. I have 5 dogs and there is usually a foster in my house. I do not invite people that are not dog lovers into my house, the way I see it is this is their house too and if they do not like my dogs then they are not welcome, we can meet somewhere else. My big dogs don't jump my pomeranian does and no matter what we have done when he gets exited he does (we pick him up most time until he calms down). I never had an issue with my dogs. What does bother me is when we go on walks and random dogs jump on me. My step-mom is afraid of cats which I found it kind of funny because she is scared of my 9lb black cat but not 16lb(and he is not overweight!) persian.

Thanks everyone for your stories and support, I thought I might get flamed about this!! lol I just woke and it looks like it bled all night long (small amounts) It just is very painful!! And I guess I am not sure if I actually got bit or not! He was behind me...so that is questionable!!

I can understand if someone taunts a dog and they get bit. But since I was a kid, I have always seemed to attract dogs that hurt people!!
no clue why, but I had one dog brake lose from his chain, I was walking down the street, and he nailed me. He bite off half of my ear! it is ok now,
but that was awful!

then again, which I was a little kid, walking to the local store. I had an retired police dog run at me, getting me on the back...he stood on hind legs and clawed me all down my back!!!

and I have had two other bites.......never once provoked by me.
so this is why I am a non dog lover!! lol

I also have a good friend that does not understand this, and this has stopped me from going to her house. She always lets her HUSKY jump all over me, I HATE i!! it is very traumatic to some one like me!

so thanks for all your comments. I think dogs are cute, just have had bad experiences!!:goodvibes

I think it's rude, rude, rude for people to allow their dogs to paw all over people. If they can't be controlled, then it's best they be put in a room until the guest leaves. I do the knee in the chest trick for my jumping dogs -- that, or you lightly step on their back paws, which causes them to back off. My two older dogs don't jump on people, though they do bark. The 3 month old pup forgets herself sometimes and jumps, but for the most part, she will sit before getting attention.

My dogs are no angels, but we work with them constantly. I always end up with "spirited" dogs. :laughing: My son's GF was just telling us over Easter that she appreciates how we discipline them for misbehaving around her toddler, because her mother allows her dog to jump all over the little one. Who wants to be around a dog like that?

(their not there)...sorry...on people who walk in the door? I am deathly afraid of dogs,
and I went to an extremely nice area in Marblehead, I walked in and this dog...not a cute dog either, jumped all over me and nailed me in the upper leg!
Broke my skin, and I am bleeding and have this huge lump that is a dark purple!

I know there is a ton of dog lovers on here. But I did nothing to this dog, and she did not warn me, I walked in and got nailed!

I am sorry, but not everyone that visits you likes dogs. This hurts pretty bad, and I know she feels bad. But I just did not ask for this.

had to vent!!

I always warn that mine jump. If you tell me you have dog fear, mine go outside.

I'm not really a dog person; I'm not necessarily scared of them, but until I get to know a dog, I'm pretty wary of it. It's mainly big dogs I don't trust - I'm on the smaller side and I've been bowled over by big dogs jumping up on me before. My friend had a HUGE dog that jumped on me every time I went over and knocked me flying each time - I finally stopped going over and when I told her why, she said she never knew it bothered me! Who likes being knocked over by big dogs??!!

I try to respect people's wishes with my cats - a few people I know don't like cats so I try to keep the cats away from them when they visit. Luckily my cats are totally anti-social and tend to hide when people come over!

Did the owner of the dog offer to pay for the pants the dog ripped? I am sure the owner wants you to think it was the dog's claw because if you report a dog bite she will have to take it to the vet to be checked.

I believe that dog bites are not supposed to be bandaged, so you might want to check on that. You should also have a tetanus shot.

We have a big yellow lab and we trained him from a puppy to sit until the person comes in the door and we tell him it's ok to greet our visitor. Sometimes my hubby will get him all wriled up when he comes home and the dog kind of jumps up on his back legs but never ON to someone. I would be SOOOO mad if he did that!

But honestly...nothing makes me more annoyed than ringing a doorbell or knocking on a door and hearing absolutely out of control barking. Drives me INSANE. One bark to notify you someone is there...maybe. But yap yap yap the entire time I am in the house? ZIP IT YAPPY. So rude to allow your dogs to do that. :mad:

Our GS mix liked to jump up to say Hi, he was very friendly and loved people but it was an unacceptable behavior so we broke him of it and trained him to only jump up if people asked him to. We broke him by simply putting our knee in his chest and saying "NO" very sternly, it didn't take long for him to get it. To train him to jump up when we wanted him too (because we loved getting kisses and "hugs" from him) we would tap our chest and say "up" and he knew it was OK to do so. Your friend needs to take her dog to a trainer and the sooner the better because otherwise the dog will not change his behavoirs.
I hope your leg heals up soon, watch it for infection, don't bandage it put do keep it clean, dry and medicated and you should be fine. :)

Those people need to train that dog. A dog aged 15 months should NOT be jumping on people.

As far as your wound....keep it very clean and keep an eye on it. If it starts getting real red or hot or more painful get to an MD.

We have a big yellow lab and we trained him from a puppy to sit until the person comes in the door and we tell him it's ok to greet our visitor. Sometimes my hubby will get him all wriled up when he comes home and the dog kind of jumps up on his back legs but never ON to someone. I would be SOOOO mad if he did that!

But honestly...nothing makes me more annoyed than ringing a doorbell or knocking on a door and hearing absolutely out of control barking. Drives me INSANE. One bark to notify you someone is there...maybe. But yap yap yap the entire time I am in the house? ZIP IT YAPPY. So rude to allow your dogs to do that. :mad:

:rotfl:I would love for you to come and teach my dog the one bark rule!

Sorry this happened to you.

I work for a Husband and Wife, not in their home but in an office which is open to the public. Every day they bring their "3" dogs to work. The dogs range in age from 13 years to 5 years and they got each one when it was approximately 1 year old.

The first two came from the SPCA, the youngest is a rescue dog. When one barks they all bark, when one runs or breaks for the door they all do. Then the wife starts screaming at them and that just adds to the mayhem. There's always an excuse why the dogs react the way they do - they don't like people who wear hats, or have a beard, or tall people or short people - you get the picture.

I've been snapped at more than once and twice had my skin broken by one of them. I feel bad for people when they walk-in because of the "greeting" they get. There have been times I was shaking so bad I had to leave the office to calm down. They say I don't like dogs.

I keep my mouth shut and let my face do the talking because I know if I said something I may end up losing my job and I need it.

I don't understand why people can't put themsleves in the place of the other person and see what's happening. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners.

Lord, doesn't anyone teach their dog to sit anymore, if they're sittin', they don't jump. ;)

you are going to their house, so you have deal with it..

Not like they are bringing the dog to yours..

I'm not too crazy about poorly trained dogs myself, clean that wound good, hope you feel better soon.

Yes, please take care and feel better!

I grew up around hunting dogs and I learned to throw my knee right into their head, hard, when a dog jumps on me. I've had a few people try to object. Their dogs never jumped on me again, either the owner learned to control the dog or the dog didn't want more of my knee. And, dog owners, I've never made a dog yelp doing it but a few have stopped to shake their heads. Please control your dogs. I love a well trained dog and will spend loads of time giving them attention if they don't jump me.

Our dog is about 15 months. We're having a heck of a time training him not to jump. He's gotten everything else we've trained him. But he barks and he jumps.

We've started making him sit before we pay attention to him (and he promptly flops over so we can rub his belly!) and he's been sitting faster and faster. So it might be working...finally. BUT when someone comes to the door, I always grab him and pick him up before I answer...he's all of 13 pounds so the "knee" method doesn't really work...

EDIT: because I know he jumps, if I had someone coming over to look at a table, I would carry him to show the table or put him in the kitchen. I would not keep him loose. Because I don't know the person coming and how they'll react (and if they'll hurt him!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter