What it is with runny egg yolks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask...are you from Alabama? Because that's what my Daddy calls them and he was raised in Alabama and he's the only other person I've heard call them that! :D

I'm born and raised in Alabama, but I've never heard them called "dippy" eggs. Just "over light" or "over easy".

I mainly call them delicious....especially so if mixed in with grits.

But yeah...there are lots of "hometown" type places here that have been putting fried eggs with runny yolks on non-breakfast items for many years. Have been eating runny eggs on various types of sandwiches and potatoes since I was a kid. Nothing new at all here.

I'm born and raised in Alabama, but I've never heard them called "dippy" eggs. Just "over light" or "over easy".

But yeah...there are lots of "hometown" type places here that have been putting fried eggs with runny yolks on non-breakfast items for many years. Have been eating runny eggs on various types of sandwiches and potatoes since I was a kid. Nothing new at all here.

After I posted that, I saw someone say something about Pittsburg...that would make sense as well as his maternal grandfather (who lived with them most of my dad's life until Grandaddy MacAulay died (well before I was born)) lived somewhere in Pennsylvania after emigrating from Scotland before moving to Alabama.

I'm from Alabama and my parents just called them runny eggs.

You guys. I feel like I need to educate you on the correct terminology.

It isn't "over-easy". They're called "dippy eggs". Because you can dip your toast in them.

You're welcome.

Yes! We call them dippy eggs too. Growing up, I never even knew what over easy was because my mom called them dippy eggs.

Why do so many menus seem to be inundated with runny yolks? Poached eggs, sunny side up eggs.

Half of the brunch entrees at Homecoming have a runny yolk egg! It's even worse at Raglan for the bruncy mains.

I don't get it. Is this a new trend in food?

Because it is not Easter and do not like hard boiled eggs.................

Give them a try, they are rich, creamy, and PACKED full of flavor and not chalky.................

Runny yolks are nothing new with eggs. But lately, it has become rather vogue in the food industry to add a runny yolk egg on top of things. And IMO it's a bit overblown and I see things runny yolk egged that not ought be egged. But much like truffle oil, this too shall pass and we will return to eggs your way on menus. :)

Runny-yolk eggs on various things, like on burgers, have been a thing around here for quite a while. :love: One of my favorite "snotty egg" dishes (outside of burgers like this) is a salad with wild mushrooms, grilled asparagus topped with a poached egg. Oh man.

6npnT5teF06n6VgbFIa0JCiF984I1ZPupAErrMdph9laKF_Hy-KK-mq2J_pqR5OdHq83AcDfDpRK7kts7QgZ9LUARGH3CqZZZLhdNK6OZr9qQka7j52G7ISkXZ3h8n6AYPipzmjCXC4=w600

BTW a runny egg on a burger? DELICIOUS!

I agree! The first time I went to a Red Robin and saw it on the menu I knew I had to try it. They ask if you want the egg cooked firm or runny. Runny for me! One bite and I was like, "Why haven't I been eating this all of my life??"

But I grew up on soft eggs (over easy and soft-boiled). Love 'em. Love eggs period.

I agree! The first time I went to a Red Robin and saw it on the menu I knew I had to try it. They ask if you want the egg cooked firm or runny. Runny for me! One bite and I was like, "Why haven't I been eating this all of my life??"

But I grew up on soft eggs (over easy and soft-boiled). Love 'em. Love eggs period.
I agree. I dont think there's a point in getting an egg on a burger if its not runny. :teeth: So yummy.

For me when I see eggs on a menu it is similar to ordering a steak. U order the cut and how you want it cooked.

Sunny side, over, scrambled poached doesn’t matter what style you stilll need to tell them how you want it done. Ex over easy. Scrambled soft.

I hate any brown on my eggs and will order omelets soft and still a little runny.

As for on a burger they have been on diner menus for years for the late night 1am to 5 am crowd leaving the bars. Some want to combine breakfast with a burger.

Now they are just “in style”. A way to add protein and richness. But like bacon can be over used.

I remember going to a Wimpy Burger in London 30 years ago and they had a burger with an egg on top, so it is not a new concept.

After I posted that, I saw someone say something about Pittsburg...that would make sense as well as his maternal grandfather (who lived with them most of my dad's life until Grandaddy MacAulay died (well before I was born)) lived somewhere in Pennsylvania after emigrating from Scotland before moving to Alabama.

Yes! We call them dippy eggs too. Growing up, I never even knew what over easy was because my mom called them dippy eggs.

I grew up in NE PA close to the Poconos (still here!) And we called them over-easy my whole childhood.....but I have a friend who also grew up here and calls them dippy eggs. My kids got into the habit of calling them dippy-eggs when they were younger because of her and her kids, so now we all call them dippy-eggs for the past 20 years. We're North of Amish country and no Amish live here so I don't think it came from there.

Oh, and dippy eggs....YUM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter