What it is with runny egg yolks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never really like eggs, but when I discovered runny-yolk eggs, I actually like them! The only part I usually eat is the runny yolk.

My step-father-in-law orders it the same way I do but puts in "you can burn them" and he's meaning so they get done well.

We cook a few egg dishes where I work and can not stand when people ask for over cooked eggs. The smell is horrendous. It starts to let out the sulfur smell when you over cook them. And FYI for those who want runny egg yolks, ours come already pasteurized so they are safe to eat "raw".

We cook a few egg dishes where I work and can not stand when people ask for over cooked eggs. The smell is horrendous. It starts to let out the sulfur smell when you over cook them.
I don't think as a customer he is concerned with the smell. He just wants his eggs cooked the way he likes it...you know like everyone else.

Never heard about a smell. I certainly don't have that issue at home when I cook my eggs. I'd think if they smelled my husband who doesn't like eggs would tell me lol.

We'll just avoid your work so we won't upset the cooks ;)

You guys. I feel like I need to educate you on the correct terminology.

It isn't "over-easy". They're called "dippy eggs". Because you can dip your toast in them.

You're welcome.
My mother also calls them dippy eggs! I live on the east coast and recently visited Seattle, ate at a fabulous breakfast place called "Lolas" and when asked how I wanted my eggs cooked, I said "over easy, is that what you call it here?" She replied, "yup, what else would you call it?" I said dippy eggs and she gave me a strange look.

I don't think as a customer he is concerned with the smell. He just wants his eggs cooked the way he likes it...you know like everyone else.

Never heard about a smell. I certainly don't have that issue at home when I cook my eggs. I'd think if they smelled my husband who doesn't like eggs would tell me lol.

We'll just avoid your work so we won't upset the cooks ;)

Trust me, I'm not the only one who notices.

When we first got married, my wife did not like eggs. Her mother only cooked them scrambled or over hard. I asked her to try my over easy eggs just once, and if she didn't like them, I would never ask her again. She now always asks me for those eggs I can dip my bacon and toast in. When I grill burgers, she always wants a "runny egg" on that too. We went through the same thing with steak (well-done vs medium), but that is another story.

Trust me, I'm not the only one who notices.
I didn't say only you noticed.

After 60+ years I don't think he would decide to stop ordering the way he likes his eggs to be cooked (which is what everyone else wants as well for their eggs to be cooked the way they want) because a stranger on the internet said their place can't stand the way the customer orders the eggs but thank you for sharing I guess. I'll be sure to pass along the information :thumbsup2

You’ve never heard of the rotten egg smell?? It’s science and happens when eggs are overcooked.
We've never had it happen to us. I've never had it at home either and he's for sure cooked eggs the way he likes them with everyone around. I guess he's cooking them differently than the cooks do in a restaurant only explanation I can give. Thankfully no waiter/waitress/worker/cook has come out to tell us if that were the case. But I guess like the PP we'll just be talked about behind our backs oh well.

I don't expect my step-father-in-law to stop ordering his eggs and I'm not certain why it's even a sticking point as if the expectation is he'll just up and decide to not be the customer their work doesn't like. But thanks for the lesson as well; again I'll be sure to pass it on :thumbsup2

We've never had it happen to us. I've never had it at home either and he's for sure cooked eggs the way he likes them with everyone around. I guess he's cooking them differently than the cooks do in a restaurant only explanation I can give. Thankfully no waiter/waitress/worker/cook has come out to tell us if that were the case. But I guess like the PP we'll just be talked about behind our backs oh well.

The pp’s reply may have been perhaps a bit coarse or even unnecessary, but doesn’t automatically make them a gossip.

They said they “can not stand when people ask for overcooked eggs” due to the smell it produces. Again, I was only pointing out that the smell is a scientific fact. Properly prepared well-done eggs won’t release the chemical foul smell. Hard boiled eggs are a great example.

I don't expect my step-father-in-law to stop ordering his eggs and I'm not certain why it's even a sticking point as if the expectation is he'll just up and decide to not be the customer their work doesn't like. But thanks for the lesson as well; again I'll be sure to pass it on :thumbsup2

I never brought up your SFIL, so zero expectation on my end - order away! :thumbsup2

The pp’s reply may have been perhaps a bit coarse or even unnecessary, but doesn’t automatically make them a gossip.

They said they “can not stand when people ask for overcooked eggs” due to the smell it produces. Again, I was only pointing out that the smell is a scientific fact. Properly prepared well-done eggs won’t release the chemical foul smell. Hard boiled eggs are a great example.

I never brought up your SFIL, so zero expectation on my end - order away! :thumbsup2
Thanks for the information. Legit we've never experienced the smell at home so it must be how he's cooking it then compared to how restaurants cook it. Trust me my husband wouldn't hesitate to tell us all if it did smell lol.

I'll chalk it up to an unnecessary comment brought up to begin with :D

I didn't say only you noticed.

After 60+ years I don't think he would decide to stop ordering the way he likes his eggs to be cooked (which is what everyone else wants as well for their eggs to be cooked the way they want) because a stranger on the internet said their place can't stand the way the customer orders the eggs but thank you for sharing I guess. I'll be sure to pass along the information :thumbsup2

I never suggested anyone stop ordering like that. I just said the smell was horrible. I don't know why you have all this animosity about someone's opinion on eggs.

Let me preface this with a disclaimer that I'm not against how anyone likes or dislikes their eggs! I honestly don't care how anyone orders their eggs. I am personally sensitive to the smell of overcooked eggs and I notice it right away. It actually smells like wet dog to me. (I have two dogs) I read around online after seeing some of this discussion and found this:

Why Overcooked Eggs Smell So Bad
https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/why-overcooked-eggs-smell-so-bad
"Egg Yolks have trace amounts of iron, and egg whites have sulfur compounds. Now, with properly cooked eggs, you won’t get a major stink. But as you heat an egg over 140°F, sulfur atoms become free from the albumen proteins and start looking for trouble. That trouble doesn’t start to really get stinky until you heat your eggs past 180°F. Once they're above 180°F, the hydrogen sulfide aroma compounds begin to form rapidly and produce that distinct smell we all know and despise."

I love eggs and cook them a lot. Usually poached, baked or boiled, all with a soft or dippy/runny yolk. When I fry them, which I haven't done in a while because I'm watching calories before my Disney trip, I make them dippy/runny yolk and some gluten free toast with butter for dipping. I don't like my omelettes or scrambled eggs runny at all. Uncooked albumen grosses me out.

Let me preface this with a disclaimer that I'm not against how anyone likes or dislikes their eggs! I honestly don't care how anyone orders their eggs. I am personally sensitive to the smell of overcooked eggs and I notice it right away. It actually smells like wet dog to me. (I have two dogs) I read around online after seeing some of this discussion and found this:

Why Overcooked Eggs Smell So Bad
https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/why-overcooked-eggs-smell-so-bad
"Egg Yolks have trace amounts of iron, and egg whites have sulfur compounds. Now, with properly cooked eggs, you won’t get a major stink. But as you heat an egg over 140°F, sulfur atoms become free from the albumen proteins and start looking for trouble. That trouble doesn’t start to really get stinky until you heat your eggs past 180°F. Once they're above 180°F, the hydrogen sulfide aroma compounds begin to form rapidly and produce that distinct smell we all know and despise."
Perhaps their cooktops are at a much higher temperature at restaurants than we do at home. I could see that. Keeping the cooktops constantly hot to be ready for orders not adjusting the heat necessarily as much as he would do at home. He doesn't take out the temperature guage at home but it must not be over the max temp where it starts to smell.

I never suggested anyone stop ordering like that. I just said the smell was horrible. I don't know why you have all this animosity about someone's opinion on eggs.
No not animosity. I don't know why you felt it was necessary to begin with. Kinda left field really. In the end though agree to disagree :-)

Perhaps their cooktops are at a much higher temperature at restaurants than we do at home. I could see that. Keeping the cooktops constantly hot to be ready for orders not adjusting the heat necessarily as much as he would do at home. He doesn't take out the temperature guage at home but it must not be over the max temp where it starts to smell.

I could see that happening at restaurants; especially during the breakfast rush. I don't get that smell when we go somewhere where a chef makes omelettes to order in front of you, but I also notice that they usually plate while the omelette is still runny inside. I guess it finishes cooking on the plate until you sit down.
Anyway....my mom cooks scrambled eggs hard over HIGH heat and they usually have that smell. I think that's where I started to notice the difference in smells. My dad is the one who made us dippy/runny eggs growing up and that's what I preferred. It might be a generational thing....cook it until everything is killed and safe to eat! (AKA: bacteria, salmonella, trichinosis, etc) My mom and dad are 80's and my mom has always cooked things to death so we don't "get sick". I think we've come a long way in food safety since my grandmother butchered her own chickens in the back yard! :thumbsup2

I HATE HATE HATE raw egg white - even just a little big. You might as well serve me snot on a plate. I like a thicker runny egg yolk - not an absolutely raw yolk (that sometimes isn't even warm).

My DH on the other hand literally wants his egg all but raw. He likes it cooked just enough on the bottom to hold together but the top is 100% raw. As long as I don't have to eat it I don't care how he eats his.

I find it very, very hard to order an egg in a restaurant where the white is 100% cooked. I guess it's because so many people like the runny yolk that they are willing to leave the white partially raw to make sure that the yolk isn't overcooked. That's when I give up and order scrambled eggs.

I love poached eggs and soft boiled eggs that I make as I make sure the white is cooked but the yolk is still "dippy". I'd never heard that term before, but I like it.

And FYI for those who want runny egg yolks, ours come already pasteurized so they are safe to eat "raw".

I was so glad to find out about pasteurized raw eggs when I was pregnant. I love a good caesar dressing or poached egg. My mom used to give us soft boiled eggs as kids so I've been eating runny eggs for a lifetime. I like all the runny eggs on menus these days.

I HATE HATE HATE raw egg white - even just a little big. You might as well serve me snot on a plate. I like a thicker runny egg yolk - not an absolutely raw yolk (that sometimes isn't even warm).

My DH on the other hand literally wants his egg all but raw. He likes it cooked just enough on the bottom to hold together but the top is 100% raw. As long as I don't have to eat it I don't care how he eats his.

I find it very, very hard to order an egg in a restaurant where the white is 100% cooked. I guess it's because so many people like the runny yolk that they are willing to leave the white partially raw to make sure that the yolk isn't overcooked. That's when I give up and order scrambled eggs.

I love poached eggs and soft boiled eggs that I make as I make sure the white is cooked but the yolk is still "dippy". I'd never heard that term before, but I like it.

Dippy eggs are the best! I still call them dippy eggs, even though my kids are grown up now.

You said you can't stand the whites...I can't stand the chalazae... that white stringy stuff. I ALWAYS take it off when I make eggs unless it's a boiled egg and I can't crack the shell. I make a lot of poached and baked eggs and I crack them into a small strainer, drain off excess, liquid-y whites and remove the chalazae the best I can, without breaking the yolk. I also do this if I'm making a Hollandaise. I think I have an egg problem..... :rolleyes: They actually do cook better without the extra liquid-y white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!