What it is with runny egg yolks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dippy eggs are the best! I still call them dippy eggs, even though my kids are grown up now.

You said you can't stand the whites...I can't stand the chalazae... that white stringy stuff. I ALWAYS take it off when I make eggs unless it's a boiled egg and I can't crack the shell. I make a lot of poached and baked eggs and I crack them into a small strainer, drain off excess, liquid-y whites and remove the chalazae the best I can, without breaking the yolk. I also do this if I'm making a Hollandaise. I think I have an egg problem..... :rolleyes: They actually do cook better without the extra liquid-y white.
Serious Eats (a food website that I really respect) says to do just what you do with the strainer. Makes sense to me. I'm with you on this.

Why do so many menus seem to be inundated with runny yolks? Poached eggs, sunny side up eggs.

Half of the brunch entrees at Homecoming have a runny yolk egg! It's even worse at Raglan for the bruncy mains.

I don't get it. Is this a new trend in food?
Because there is NOTHING on this planet that tastes as good as a runny yolk!!!!LOL I guess its not your thing!

In love a good runny egg as long as the white is cooked. Poached, fried, scrambled and runny just taste better to me In food.

Why do so many menus seem to be inundated with runny yolks? Poached eggs, sunny side up eggs.

Half of the brunch entrees at Homecoming have a runny yolk egg! It's even worse at Raglan for the bruncy mains.

I don't get it. Is this a new trend in food?

Eating your eggs with runny yolks is sometimes seen as a sigh of social status. The elite or wealthy tend to prefer runny yolks (just as they enjoy the taste of caviar, etc). I have no idea how this started but since Disney tends to cater to the wealthy and elite, that's why you see it on the menu of the fancier restaurants. Of course, us poor folks like a good runny yolk sometimes too. Love chopping up a sunny side up egg and spreading it on toast, but you don't see runny yolks served like that in Disney. It's usually on an "open faced" sandwich or some other snazzy named food that makes some people feel like "leets" when they order it I guess.

Eating your eggs with runny yolks is sometimes seen as a sigh of social status. The elite or wealthy tend to prefer runny yolks (just as they enjoy the taste of caviar, etc). I have no idea how this started but since Disney tends to cater to the wealthy and elite, that's why you see it on the menu of the fancier restaurants. Of course, us poor folks like a good runny yolk sometimes too. Love chopping up a sunny side up egg and spreading it on toast, but you don't see runny yolks served like that in Disney. It's usually on an "open faced" sandwich or some other snazzy named food that makes some people feel like "leets" when they order it I guess.

giphy.gif

You mean ruined versus almost ruined. If a good vet could save it, it's perfect.

Haha! I'm with you, actually. I am a medium-rare man, myself. I knew trying to drag a well-done person all the way to medium-rare was going to be too much of a system shock. She can't stand medium-well or well-done now, and it makes me happy to see some juice coming from her cut steak.

In love a good runny egg as long as the white is cooked. Poached, fried, scrambled and runny just taste better to me In food.
Same here. I dont like it when the egg whites are snotty/slimy texture. If that makes sense? Its not a deal breaker, i'll eat it if its in front of me. But i prefer whites cooked.

I gotta say I can't agree with your first two sentences at all. Enjoying a runny yolk has nothing to do with social status nor being elite. I come from a modest home where beans, cornbread, and greens were considered a standard meal, and both my parents loved runny yolks. Same with my grandparents. Now, if you're attempting to say that it has become something of a fixture in nicer restaurants to add to other meal elements not normally associated with runny egg yolks (e.g., hamburgers), I might give that a pass. I'm also neither elite nor wealthy, but I love runny yolks. Caviar? It depends on the situation and menu item. A little on fresh sushi is wonderful, but I'm not particularly a fan of it straight on little triangles of toasted brioche. Food is an equalizer--aside from some things like Wagyu beef or coffee beans that came out of some Indonesian cat poop--we can enjoy various types and styles of food without worrying about social status. And runny egg yolks definitely fall in the non-elite category. pirate:

Dippy eggs are the best! I still call them dippy eggs, even though my kids are grown up now.

You said you can't stand the whites...I can't stand the chalazae... that white stringy stuff. I ALWAYS take it off when I make eggs unless it's a boiled egg and I can't crack the shell. I make a lot of poached and baked eggs and I crack them into a small strainer, drain off excess, liquid-y whites and remove the chalazae the best I can, without breaking the yolk. I also do this if I'm making a Hollandaise. I think I have an egg problem..... :rolleyes: They actually do cook better without the extra liquid-y white.

I do the same thing. My 10th grade Biology.class freaked me out and I have done it ever since ... 26 years and counting...

I gotta say I can't agree with your first two sentences at all. Enjoying a runny yolk has nothing to do with social status nor being elite. I come from a modest home where beans, cornbread, and greens were considered a standard meal, and both my parents loved runny yolks. Same with my grandparents. Now, if you're attempting to say that it has become something of a fixture in nicer restaurants to add to other meal elements not normally associated with runny egg yolks (e.g., hamburgers), I might give that a pass. I'm also neither elite nor wealthy, but I love runny yolks. Caviar? It depends on the situation and menu item. A little on fresh sushi is wonderful, but I'm not particularly a fan of it straight on little triangles of toasted brioche. Food is an equalizer--aside from some things like Wagyu beef or coffee beans that came out of some Indonesian cat poop--we can enjoy various types and styles of food without worrying about social status. And runny egg yolks definitely fall in the non-elite category. pirate:

Come on, now. Adding that 15 cent egg on top just screams wealthy elitism. :rolleyes1

The chalazae is a measure of how fresh the egg is...the more prominent the chalazae is, the fresher the egg.

Come on, now. Adding that 15 cent egg on top just screams wealthy elitism.

Boy, I really must have gotten under your skin. Seriously. Relax. Good grief. It was absolutely seen as a sign of social status in older times ( and some still carry on until this day). It's the same as not seeing eggs benedict or scotch eggs served in more simple or lower cost restaurants. That's not to say others don't enjoy runny yolks (its pretty common in the South now). I even mentioned that in my first post but you were too busy getting upset that you missed all that.

Boy, I really must have gotten under your skin. Seriously. Relax. Good grief. It was absolutely seen as a sign of social status in older times ( and some still carry on until this day). It's the same as not seeing eggs benedict or scotch eggs served in more simple or lower cost restaurants. That's not to say others don't enjoy runny yolks (its pretty common in the South now). I even mentioned that in my first post but you were too busy getting upset that you missed all that.

Don't flatter yourself.

You made a ridiculous post and got called out on it. It appears that you're the one that's bent up about it.

Runny eggs as breakfast, as well as on non-breakfast items, have been a "thing" for as long as I can remember in the south, as previously stated...mostly at small diner type places that are hardly fine dining establishments. And that's a FACT. Maybe where you're from, it's considered "elite", but certainly not anywhere around where I live. Like I said, it's a 15 cent egg.

Maybe your "leets" are just now catching up...or maybe it's just the rest of the country that's behind...because it's been common for poor ole country folks like me in the south forever.

Last edited:
Don't flatter yourself.

No need for me to flatter myself. You do it for me.

You made a ridiculous post and got called out on it.

I did? I don't see anyone else getting so riled up about my post. That's probably because they actually read and comprehended my post instead of flying off the handle and rushing to their keyboard to peck away with mad fingers.

Runny eggs as breakfast, as well as on non-breakfast items, have been a "thing" for as long as I can remember in the south, as previously stated...mostly at small diner type places that are hardly fine dining establishments. And that's a FACT. Maybe where you're from, it's considered "elite", but certainly not anywhere around where I live.

because it's been common for poor ole country folks like me in the south forever.

So, I've kind of lived in the heart of the South my um....entire life? I also kinda...um...mentioned that already? Annnnnd I even mentioned how runny eggs are a thing in the South?

Seriously. Are you even reading my posts before commenting away with mad fingers? Easy. Those plastic keys can break.

Maybe your "leets" are just now catching up...or maybe it's just the rest of the country that's behind...because it's been common for poor ole country folks like me in the south forever.

...aww, c’mon southern charmer...embrace your elitism :rotfl2:

I bet none of you are being targeted with Certified ORGANIC Happy Eggs :snooty: :snooty: :snooty:

039FF5CD-7990-4BAC-B20A-A992E37ED30B.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter