What it is with runny egg yolks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egg yolk is the new condiment. It's better than ketchup or mayo. Egg yolk is already the main ingredient in mayo, aioli, hollandaise and bernaise sauces. Might as well just use it pure.
It's better than the trend of putting ranch dressing on everything.

I love everything made from yolks; but I just can't eat a yolk that isn't hard cooked. I even operate on an egg mcmuffin to remove the yolk because it's never done enough!

In the south we have eaten runny fried eggs for my entire life. Plain eggs with breakfast or we would eat runny fried egg sandwich with mayo (just like making a grilled cheese), one of my favorite ways is a fried bologna and fried egg sandwich. These type of sandwiches are served in diners and always have been where I’m from. You can order the egg anyway you prefer, but most people here like the runny yolk.
In the north I have eaten fried eggs with a runny yolk my entire life. I do tend to order them out scrambled since I don’t know how fresh the eggs are.

Every morning I have runny fried eggs and toast for breakfast.

Never saw a sunny side up egg on a burger or a pizza 40 years ago.

Eggs on burgers has been popular up here for well over a decade and eggs benedict has been a VERY popular brunch dish for eons.

It's definitely a trend, but it isn't a new thing at all. I've been doing eggs over-easy for years now. Eggs on burgers or on top of dishes is a new trend (as is avocado everything.)

It is not new and not trendy. More like, cultural influences. The Loco Moco is basically a hamburger or spam covered by a fried runny egg over rice, which is why I think nothing about eating the burger at Brown Derby. It is so delicious. I am also happy to see items like Shakshouka (baked eggs dish) on the menu at CG.

Here in New Mexico, topping enchiladas and burgers with a runny egg is very traditional (and delicious). And avocado on everything isn't new to us either.

Love fried eggs with runny yolks. Can’t eat them when they are over cooked! Might as well have ordered a hard boiled egg or scrambled eggs if they are over cooked IMHO. :)

I love runny eggs but I can't eat them anymore post-transplant. I went to get a breakfast sandwich at Panera the other day and had to get scrambled eggs because the sandwich came with a fried egg with runny yolk. I was sad.

I think the first time I recall having an egg on a non-breakfast item was on a loco moco burger in Hawaii in 2011. I love eggs on burgers now. I haven't had one on pizza yet.

And I'm also a dippy egg person. A dippy egg with toast and hash browns Yum!

Now I want to go home and make an egg and toast.

Over easy has always been an option, at least as far back as the very early 60s.
Watch as far back as the silent movie era and you'll see over easy eggs being made then as well.

Read John London, James Fenimore Cooper, and Zane Grey books and they'll be eaten with gusto on the Alaskan permafrost, unsettled by European mountains of NYS and Mid West prairies.

And then, of course, you have the Rocky, straight from the shell breakfast regime...

;)

I love runny yolks over easy and sunny side up. I am 60 and when I was little my Grandmother would fry bacon or sausage and then cook eggs in the grease. She would spoon hot grease over the yolk to cook it.

But I digress, the question the original post asked was putting a runny egg on other foods a new trend. I think it is a relatively newer practice. I have eaten Tex-Mex my entire life being from Texas and it was not until 20-25 years ago that at least one Tex Mex place in Texas started offering these spicy chicken enchaladas with a fried egg and calling it the Elvis Special that they started catching on. Also with the advent of the Food Network and the original Iron Chef is when it really took off. Quail eggs on top of dishes, runny eggs over noodle bowls, etc. started being shown on TV all the time and off it went. I am sure that certain regional dishes were doing it before then but it became more widespread when every TV chef was doing it.

I love the idea and whenever a menu offers the option I will take it if I think it will add to the flavor. Some of the dishes the OP asked about have always included eggs and so they are not new. However in the make it your way world we live in today if you want them fried hard I am sure you can just ask for it and they will do it.

But I digress, the question the original post asked was putting a runny egg on other foods a new trend. I think it is a relatively newer practice. I have eaten Tex-Mex my entire life being from Texas and it was not until 20-25 years ago that at least one Tex Mex place in Texas started offering these spicy chicken enchaladas with a fried egg and calling it the Elvis Special that they started catching on. Also with the advent of the Food Network and the original Iron Chef is when it really took off. Quail eggs on top of dishes, runny eggs over noodle bowls, etc. started being shown on TV all the time and off it went. I am sure that certain regional dishes were doing it before then but it became more widespread when every TV chef was doing it.

I agree it has a lot to do with cooking/travel shows introducing street food and international cuisine. Like I mentioned before, cultural influences. But for people such as myself that grew up eating foods prepared like this, it isn’t new or trendy. I’m good with poached, overeasy...just better not ever see Balut!

Last edited:
Why do so many menus seem to be inundated with runny yolks? Poached eggs, sunny side up eggs.

Half of the brunch entrees at Homecoming have a runny yolk egg! It's even worse at Raglan for the bruncy mains.

I don't get it. Is this a new trend in food?
Because they are much better than dried out, non runny egg yolks.

I find eggs to be completely unappetizing in any form. Even baked goods that taste particularly eggy taste awful to me.

I find eggs to be completely unappetizing in any form. Even baked goods that taste particularly eggy taste awful to me.

My son is like this. He loves French toast but if he finds even the tiniest bit of cooked egg, he gets grossed out. I can't really blame him. Eggs smell pretty terrible. The smell makes me nauseous and lately, I get nauseous as I am eating eggs and can't finish, and I have eaten them my whole life. I don't eat them much anymore.

You guys. I feel like I need to educate you on the correct terminology.

It isn't "over-easy". They're called "dippy eggs". Because you can dip your toast in them.

You're welcome.

I have to ask...are you from Alabama? Because that's what my Daddy calls them and he was raised in Alabama and he's the only other person I've heard call them that! :D

My son is like this. He loves French toast but if he finds even the tiniest bit of cooked egg, he gets grossed out. I can't really blame him. Eggs smell pretty terrible. The smell makes me nauseous and lately, I get nauseous as I am eating eggs and can't finish, and I have eaten them my whole life. I don't eat them much anymore.
I can’t even think about eating an egg before noon. I do like eggs I can dip toast into. Very rarely though—like once a year. I prefer baked eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter