What compensation would you expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did not knock. I was not asleep. Compensation is required in this case. That's how the business works. I don't feel ten dollars is enough and I wanted to hear opinions.
I don’t think “required” is quite the word you are looking for. When you book a hotel room, no where do you sign a contract that says if a mistake is made you will get a free room.

Mistakes happen and I’m sure it was somewhat disconcerting to have someone you weren’t expecting in your room, but unless they did something other than just realize their mistake and leave, then no compensation is required.

If you make a mistake at your job, do you automatically provide some sort of compensation to anyone affected by your mistake?

They did not knock. I was not asleep. Compensation is required in this case. That's how the business works. I don't feel ten dollars is enough and I wanted to hear opinions.

I don't think compensation is required in this case, even though they did not knock. Unless they came in and refused to leave and started cleaning while you were in bed.
The hotel did something for you so they met your requirement for compensation, you just aren't happy with the amount they gave you. I'm not sure how you are measuring what kind of compensation you should get, they walked in and presumably walked out. What exactly are you looking for, it isn't that big of a deal.

You also said they were loud, did you not hear them outside your door and not yell "we are in here" before they came in, or were they only loud the minute the both entered the room?

Last edited:

It would never, ever occur to me to seek out compensation for something like this. Yes. They should have knocked, but they didn't. It was late morning. They obviously thought you weren't in your room.

Do you not take any responsibility for this? If I don't use the do not disturb sign, I always assume someone might walk in on me. If everyone is in the room, we latch it.

Yes, they should have knocked. That is standard protocol for housekeeping, or anyone else entering your hotel room for that matter. It seems they thought the room was unoccupied. Maybe when you left to go get breakfast it did not rester you coming back in since you had trouble with the lock. I'm not sure they have that capability to see when you enter and leave, but maybe. In any case, you did not have DND sign up and you did not properly lock the door.

What happened when they entered? Were they rude or did they apologize and leave? Either way, I don't think you are due any refund. It was a mistake. It wouldn't even enter my mind to ask for compensation. Sure I would be a little annoyed, but I would get over it in about five minutes.

I was not asleep.
So why did you imply you were?

You are sleeping and then two two men burst into your room where you are in your bed 4 feet away

The only thing they did wrong was not knock (or at least not knock loud enough). You still haven't answered a number of questions...
* What did the men do when they realized you were still in the room?
* With no DND sign and no safety latch engaged, how do you expect housekeeping to know you're NOT in the room?
* Were you supposed to check out that day?

DS and I were at a hotel last year for a soccer game. We had an early game and so were back in the hotel by late morning. I went to the bathroom. Housekeeping knocked on the door, DS let them in, and she proceeded to start opening the bathroom door! DS never told her I was in there. I guess I should have asked for a free night. Who knew?

Apparently, it's worth $10 when it happens in a Best Western in KY. I highly doubt you're going to hear back from them at this point. Unlikely that they're worried about losing future business from you.

At Beach Club Villas, a few years ago, we had a maintenance man walk into our room around 7:00 am while my family was sleeping. I had gone to get coffee, therefore the top latch was not on. My husband said the guy apologized as he quickly closed the door. He didn't knock because he thought our room was unoccupied. We didn't see it as a big deal and actually laughed that my teens slept through the brief interruption.

In this case, compensation would not be required. Even the courts would tell you that. Compensation is given/awarded to make you whole when you have damages. You're out nothing in this scenario and while it was a scary and unnecessary occurrence, you've not suffered damages as a result. You also take some of the blame for not latching the lock and using the DND sign. I mentioned up-thread that I felt a meal voucher would be worth more. Its worth more than the $10 they credited you, yet not much skin off the hotel's nose to issue it. I used to work for a hotel chain and drink/meal vouchers were our go-to in situations where the customer was fishing for compensation when we felt their case was iffy at best.

Well, they definitely should have knocked and announced themselves. If you were not asleep and you know for certain they didn't, I do think it was right to tell the manager, but I wouldn't have expected any compensation.

I'd say a sincere apology and that's it. The $10 is a nice gesture (particularly as this was a Best Western....not known for being an expensive chain). Really, it's much ado about nothing (to quote Shakespeare)

You didn't have a do not disturb sign out which means, YES I want my room cleaned. They did nothing wrong. I wouldn't expect any compensation. It didn't happen in the middle of the night which would be a major issue, it occurred at 10am which is usually when they start cleaning rooms.

Ohhhh

So you were caught en flagrante?

Totally embarrassing but not worthy of compensation.

That happened to DH and I once at a Club Med years ago, when the "norm" was not even to have locks on the door (so impossible to lock it). Crap happens. We asked for nothing, and got nothing (other than a sincere apology from the maid). We also apologized to her....no one wants to see that. ;-)

That happened to DH and I once at a Club Med years ago, when the "norm" was not even to have locks on the door (so impossible to lock it). Crap happens. We asked for nothing, and got nothing (other than a sincere apology from the maid). We also apologized to her....no one wants to see that. ;-)

Man, that would be a good s/o thread..have you ever been caught :love2:

Man, that would be a good s/o thread..have you ever been caught :love2:

If you haven't, you haven't really lived. Caught by the maid, someone mowing the grass in a cemetery (don't ask....that one is too bizarre for words) and the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter