What compensation would you expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
from a hotel if two male housekeepers burst into your room unannounced while you were in bed? The owner of the Best Western in Corbin KY took $10 off our tab last week. I'm telling him that is not nearly enough and he is not responding.

Would you feel it was due if it was 2 female housekeepers?

You are sleeping and then two two men burst into your room where you are in your bed 4 feet away. And it's not a big deal to you? You are very strange.

You asked for opinions, why be so judgemental? I would rather be strange than entilted!

They did not knock. I was not asleep. Compensation is required in this case. That's how the business works. I don't feel ten dollars is enough and I wanted to hear opinions.

Again you wanted to hear opinions, you obviously feel like you are entitled to something, quite frankly if you are that upset about it speak with your future business. Don't stay there again, plain and simple.

That happened to DH and I once at a Club Med years ago, when the "norm" was not even to have locks on the door (so impossible to lock it). Crap happens. We asked for nothing, and got nothing (other than a sincere apology from the maid). We also apologized to her....no one wants to see that. ;-)

What???? You stayed at a hotel with no locks on the doors??? Is that even legal, what about your property or your safety??????

It's weird to have two housekeepers enter. I can't recall the last time I saw two housekeepers working in tandem at a hotel, even luxury resorts let alone a Best Western in Kentucky. And $10 is such a weird bit of compensation.

I actually saw this at Pop Century last summer. It was a man and a woman, I'm guessing one of them was in training, but there were two cleaning the room next to mine. I only noticed because they left the latch in the door so the door wouldn't close, and constantly opened and closed the door while I was trying to take a nap, letting the door slam on the latch. I got up to see what was going on and watched for a minute. I never realized how many times they go in and out of a room to clean it!

I don't live my life looking for compensation but many people seem to. So no, I wouldn't expect or seek compensation.
Guy I work with eats at a certain pizza place. Complains about it all the time and they comp him his food all the time. Yet he goes there almost twice a month.

What if they were female housekeepers? Would that make a difference?
Have to ask on this before answering..... what do they look like? :love1: (perfect emoji :D)

Would not happen to me as I always use the door lock and it would only open an inch or so.

After 10.15 am
What time was check out ?
It was an honest error and no compensation was /is required.

At that time of day when housekeeping is generally making their rounds, and especially if we plan to still be in bed sleeping or otherwise engaged, we make sure that all precautions are taken to keep housekeeping out of the room- DND sign and lock on the door. A reasonable person would assume that this is a chance you take in a hotel room that time of morning. Now, I will say that they should have knocked first just to be sure no one was there. That is their fault and I would expect them to apologize for their mistake, but I would never expect monetary compensation when no harm was done (other than maybe an embarrassing moment). Unless there is more to this story, I believe you are being a bit unreasonable to expect more.

What???? You stayed at a hotel with no locks on the doors??? Is that even legal, what about your property or your safety??????
It's the way Club Meds USED to be everywhere. There was a safe in the room for your valuables. They've since evolved to be more "family friendly" but read about the history of the place. It was definitely NOT family friendly. I went with my husband....never felt unsafe.

They did not knock. I was not asleep. Compensation is required in this case. That's how the business works. I don't feel ten dollars is enough and I wanted to hear opinions.

Definitely not required. Nothing is required more than "sorry you were still in the room when all indications were that you had left.."

OP doesn't say what HE thinks is fair compensation.

Housekeepers fired? Maybe executed?

Free stays for life at any Best Western?

He accepted the $10 goodwill gesture and left the premises. That should be the end of it. Now a week later he wants more. Get real.

Sorry, OP, I'm in the camp of "I would expect no compensation". I would expect an apology. Not every little blip on the radar requires compensation, and the OP will have a more enjoyable life if he/she recognizes that.

It was 10:15 am. I had looked for a DND sign to hang on the door but turned out it was a magnet the same color as the door and I didn't see it. I had gotten up early to get breakfast before the 9 am end. The door had an odd flip lock that I couldn't figure out in my grogginess.

What do you mean by flip lock? Do you mean what someone else posted, "the little slide lock thing flipped on your door when you are in your room?" Or you mean the deadbolt in the door that slides into the door frame when the knob is flipped sideways? If you didn't flip the knob on the deadbolt, then no, they probably didn't think you were in the room. It takes an extra turn of the key - an usually in the other direction - to flip the deadbolt back inside the door. They would have automatically known someone was inside, even without the DND sign on the outside.

If it was that slide lock that you flip once in the room, they would not have been able to enter the room, even if they had not knocked. You didn't take the time to figure out how to lock it properly.

Either way, YOU have some responsibility for creating this situation that you aren't owning up to. They obviously thought the room was unoccupied so they didn't need to knock. And apparently, you and your wife were - ah - a bit busy, so maybe you didn't hear them if they did quietly knock.

Last edited:
We honeymooned at Sandals, not only wasn’t there a deadbolt, but they never gave us the DND tag we requested. I think they got their jollies walking in on couples! We thought it was hysterical. Of course, that was when I had my nicely tanned young bikini body, I wouldn’t be thrilled now (nor would they...)

Like others in this thread I have had it happen to me before and I didn’t expect compensation. If the DND sign is not out then they have no reason to expect people sleeping at 10:15 am and they did NOTHING wrong.

IMO (which is what you asked when you started the thread) you should be glad you even got $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter