We're Going to Have a Lot of Big Protests!

So I'm watching the news tonight, and this little gem of a story comes on.
I think I have my sign for the next protest.... "Florida: Beastiality OK, Gays adopting NOT OK!"

:scared1: Sometimes I wonder about that state of yours...it just sounds so unbelievable...I can't be quite certain it's real rather than a nightmare.

"...or other things done in rural areas..." :scared:

I honestly think I'm going to be ill.

I've been thinking and thinking about the protest of the Governor's wedding.

I have to say, if the protestors are quiet (no chanting, etc.) and do not block the flow of the procession of the Governor and the bride and guests to and from the location of the ceremony (I'm envisioning a well mannered group standing silently to the side) I have to say I think it could be appropriate.

The Governor is a political figure, and our inability to marry is a political issue.

I'd like to hear opinions from those of us who do not think it is a good idea. What am I missing or not taking into consideration?

I'd like to hear opinions from those of us who do not think it is a good idea. What am I missing or not taking into consideration?

I'm still very much on the fence on this. If it were any other governor, or if he had kept his mouth shut about the issue.... fine. But THIS governor has some baggage in the gay department it seems, and he came out firmly against gay marriage, and is willing to let the Attorney General spend more of our tax dollars to keep gays from adopting....

Sometimes ya gotta say enough is enough!

See? That's all caught up in my thinking too. He's acting irresponsibly at best (as a governor)...

He has been a 'confirmed' bachelor for such a long time... ach. I don't know.

I think I'm leaning more toward a quiet, dignified group gathered to the side in silence... I think it is that sort of dramatic action that needs to happen to make a difference.

He can marry but not all the citizens of the state he governs is allowed the same freedom????

He uses tax dollars to fight gay adoption when mental health services, substance abuse services, child welfare services, child protection services, elder services, vulnerable adult protective services, and HIV/AIDS services go begging and for which funding is being cut (yet again) as we speak?

Priorities are totally skewed. Totally.

On a lighter note, did you catch the story on Jeb? Seems he may run for Senator, can you say "grooming for a presidential bid"?

I'll pay to get front row when he debates Palin!

"I can see Russia"

"Well I can see Cuba!" :rotfl2:

The local Orlando organization (http://www.oneorlando.org/)that's spearheading the "Light up the Night" event on December 20th had this listing:

Friday December 12
Florida Governor and supporter of Amendment 2, Charlie Crist, will wed Carole Rome in St. Pete. A local protest will take place near the ceremony, and information can be found at "Join the Impact." Suggested statewide local postcard campaign: "Dear Charlie and Carole. Congratulations on the legal recognition of your relationship and the 1,138 associated rights & benefits. We want only the same, Sincerely, _____ & _____."

Personally, I like the idea of sending them a card. Simple. To the point. Lots of impact. Might have to include our wedding photo . . .

See? That's all caught up in my thinking too. He's acting irresponsibly at best (as a governor)...

He has been a 'confirmed' bachelor for such a long time... ach. I don't know.

I think I'm leaning more toward a quiet, dignified group gathered to the side in silence... I think it is that sort of dramatic action that needs to happen to make a difference.

He can marry but not all the citizens of the state he governs is allowed the same freedom????

He uses tax dollars to fight gay adoption when mental health services, substance abuse services, child welfare services, child protection services, elder services, vulnerable adult protective services, and HIV/AIDS services go begging and for which funding is being cut (yet again) as we speak?

Priorities are totally skewed. Totally.

Despite what HE has done, does SHE deserve to have her wedding day disrupted by protests (silent or not)?

That's what people are going to see. They're going to say "oh, that poor woman, they paraded political issues during a protest at her wedding"

I don't see how that helps sway people to our cause. I think it will reflect badly on the Equal Marriage movement

Yes, Rob. That (sending a card) is an excellent and dignified thing to do.

We can do that too.

You have a point, but I'm going to "default" to the fact that she's marrying a political public figure...

It's a very difficult decision for me, and it's not like I could go even if I decided to... family obligations take precedent, but I'm not going to hide behind my inability to go and forego tormenting myself over determining whether or not I find it to be the right thing to do.

I guess, right now for the most part, I think a peaceful protest is more acceptable than not.

I guess that if I could legally marry my wife, I'd be so darn happy I wouldn't care who protested. Perhaps her joy will carry her through too...:confused3

You have a point, but I'm going to "default" to the fact that she's marrying a political public figure...

It's a very difficult decision for me, and it's not like I could go even if I decided to... family obligations take precedent, but I'm not going to hide behind my inability to go and forego tormenting myself over determining whether or not I find it to be the right thing to do.

I guess, right now for the most part, I think a peaceful protest is more acceptable than not.

I guess that if I could legally marry my wife, I'd be so darn happy I wouldn't care who protested. Perhaps her joy will carry her through too...:confused3

I really don't care if her joy carries her through or not.

We're playing a public relations game. We have to "sell" gay marriage rights to those who voted against it, or who simply didn't vote.

In order to do that, they have to identify and sympathize with us.

It's too easy for those who oppose us to twist this planned protest to their own ends and make it into a PR nightmare for all of us working for marriage equality, not just those who are actually there.

I fear that the "court of public opinion" will judge all of us very harshly for protesting a wedding, regardless of who the groom is.

Just my thoughts on it . . .

Despite what HE has done, does SHE deserve to have her wedding day disrupted by protests (silent or not)?

God knows her honeymoon is going to be bad enough! :rotfl2:

Sorry! :sad2: Couldn't resist!

I fear that the "court of public opinion"

Well one way I look at this is public opinion shouldn't matter. What was the public opinion when Loving v. Virgina passed? :confused3

It's pretty obvious, we didn't get anywhere this past election day on "public opinion".

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Yes, Rob and I thank you for being willing to share them! I do understand what you are saying, but I think that lack of response is what contributed to things working out the way they did.

We needed more visibility, more refutation of the lies, more clout to stop the cheating (bad signatures, improper use of funds, etc.).

I think by selectively protesting a few key marriages, we could make a very powerful point.

I'm sure the African Americans who walked into the diner and sat for service were told not to do that too. Their dignified, peaceful 'protest' of discrimination garnered them more sympathy than they realized at the time.

If there is a peaceful and quiet group/showing/protest of the wedding and reception, some people will be offended, some may even be outraged, and some may react badly. That can also serve to raise awareness in those who are unaware, and demonstrate to others that discrimination costs everyone...

Uk. I'm going on and that's not remotely important here.

Suffice to say, I find your position valid and 'supportable.' However, I believe the time for some dramatic action is upon us. Well thought out, well controlled, but the time is now. Sometimes you simply need to go with keeping the focus on the issue; staying in the public eye...

We'll just have to see how it goes.

One thing I have always found remarkable is the gay community's lack of retaliation with like versus like behavior. For example, when Jesse Helms passed, his funeral was not picketed by haters -- unlike the funerals of so many gays have been. I'm not saying that Helms personally picketed a gay funeral, but his behavior and public statements certainly encouraged others to do so. In other instances, such as when there were laws passed against them, the gay community's behavior has been similarly restrained.

The reaction after Prop 8 has been an exception to this rule, and I think that's due to years of pent up reaction. Unfortunately, some people people took it too far, and made themselves into a public spectacle.

Here's a question-- has the gay community been given recognition for being such wonderful, upstanding citizens? Has their maturity and restraint paid off in public opinion? Surely I wasn't the only person in the USA to notice the obvious differences in behavior between the Haters and the Hated.

Ok, so that was actually a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious. NO it has NOT paid off. Hard to say if it has even been noticed at all, but needless to say, acknowledgment and reward are not coming our way.

I think something has changed in the hearts of our community. We are tired of playing nice while getting stepped on. Playing nice is QUIET, and it gets no results.

Rob, it's certainly sweet of you to think of the bride on her special day. But guess what. She voted against your rights (I think in this case that's a pretty safe bet). She's marrying a man who publicly stomped on your rights. If picketers show up at their wedding, that's karma. I think all straight weddings should be picketed, personally. Then, perhaps the reality of injustice would penetrate the ignorance.

Eeee! Eeeeee! EEEE! 'Cajun! I had this very conversation last evening!

I have to agree with you. I did say that I felt that more than just the governors wedding should be a site of silent protest.

High profile weddings and those of Joe the Plumber and Joe Sixpack should be included too.

Yes, we have always - ALWAYS been dignified and responsible in our acceptance of discrimination. I would hold onto the dignity, and the responsibility but stop being quiet. Enough. It's time to show that we do care about how we are treated. It's time to show that our boring lives are not a thread to opposite gendered couples. We are who and what we are, we exist, we pay taxes, we are educated, we are self supporting, we help our communities, and we are decent law abiding people. Enough of the "deviant life style crap."

Ugh. I'm truly going to try and shut up now, but I have to say, with a little more time to think, I'm coming down on the side of agreeing to show protest at the governor's wedding.

I just spent a good 30 minutes reading different blogs on the Internet concerning this subject. The general consensus falls on Rob's side. The anti gay marriage people think it's an awful thing to do, to protest this wedding. Are we surprised? With 9 days left till this "blessed event" I am still very much on the fence. But if anything, it may get the word out that Crist does have a questionable past. I'm not too concerned about the bride. I mean really, she must know what she is getting into! Can you imagine the beads of sweat that will roll down the back of her neck when the minister asks "Does anyone have any reason that these two should not be lawfully married?"

I envision the caterer, the organist, and the florist all standing in the back of the church with duct tape over their mouths! :lmao:

It will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out in the media.

Rob, it's certainly sweet of you to think of the bride on her special day. But guess what. She voted against your rights (I think in this case that's a pretty safe bet). She's marrying a man who publicly stomped on your rights. If picketers show up at their wedding, that's karma. I think all straight weddings should be picketed, personally. Then, perhaps the reality of injustice would penetrate the ignorance.

Again, I don't give a good gosh darn about her or her special day. I'm worried about how the spin-doctors on the other side will make us look bad for protesting a wedding.

I get what all of you are saying. I'm advocating that we choose our battles wisely, and this doesn't seem like a wise choice to me, that's all.

Not that my opinion is going to mean diddly squat to those folks who are planning to go and protest.

I just don't see how it can possibly reflect well on our community or the marriage equality movement.

Well one way I look at this is public opinion shouldn't matter. What was the public opinion when Loving v. Virgina passed? :confused3

It's pretty obvious, we didn't get anywhere this past election day on "public opinion".

This sums it up for me, I understand the wanting others to "want" equal rights for ALL Americans and human rights for ALL humans worldwide, but I'm not so sure we wouldn't have legal interracial mariages had it not been for Loving v Virginia since we still live in a bigoted country and world.

So this brings up another question. Which way do you think this should be handled? I think we may have to fight this out in the courts, much like they did in Loving v. Virginia. Peacefull protests may help, but it's pretty obvious putting our rights up for a vote is not working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter