We're Going to Have a Lot of Big Protests!

Okay, that's pretty good. I had no idea BP was that good.

My thinking wasn't so much about buying gas, but, about "spending" it during your drive. But, if you purchased it at BP, it sounds like it qualifies.

The thing is, even if I were able to take the day off of work and volunteer, we'd have to drive to get there, too. Most of the volunteer stuff for GLBT causes are in or near downtown. We'd be spending that gas, regardless. The only way to minimize the impact would be to buy the gas at BP.

Yep, we're a BP or Hess family too. :teeth:

We started doing BP or Hess because they don't buy Arab oil, but now that I've checked, we've got more reason to stay with what we're already doing. I'll have to make the effort to favor BP now, though.

Same here. Just watch out for some BP stations. The price they post is sometimes cash only and can be higher if you use credit cards. Not a huge issue, but one to be aware of.

Okay, and now I'm hooked. I found the HRC Corporate Equality Index while trying to find out info about BP and Hess.

http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/ceihome.asp

This is fascinating. I've been plugging in the names of companies that we routinely buy from.

Target is great. Disney is exceptional. Publix isn't that good. And of course the company where I work is awful. Time to start looking for a new job, I guess. And possibly a new supermarket (or buy groceries from Super Target).

I'm contemplating writing some of these companies to let them know why they'll be losing my business . . . .

Publix is not that good? Yeouch. There is a Publix literally yards from our house.

Well, time to put the money where the mouth is, eh? Super Target isn't all that much further and we do drive every day.

I have looked at the HRC site before, but it was some time ago. Thanks for the link. I'll go refresh my memory and my commitment to the cause.

I've been checking the Join the Impact site for updates and they're planning another big event:

On December 20th, we ask that you join us again for a nation-wide demonstration that will make an impact on the private sector. Candlelight vigils will be held at commercial centers in cities across the country in remembrance of the rights that once were for 18,000 marriages, and in honor of the rights that one day will be again - for EVERYONE.

They're asking everyone to wear a t-shirts that says "Second Class Citizen". I'm glad to see that we're not sitting by quietly after the first protest. We have to keep the momentum going.

Interisting update......

Focus on the Family announced this afternoon that 202 jobs will be cut companywide — an estimated 20 percent of its workforce. Initial reports bring the total number of remaining employees to around 950.

Focus on the Family is poised to announce major layoffs to its Colorado Springs-based ministry and media empire today. The cutbacks come just weeks after the group pumped more than half a million dollars into the successful effort to pass a gay-marriage ban in California

http://coloradoindependent.com/1528...prop-8-focus-on-the-family-announcing-layoffs

Interisting update......

Focus on the Family announced this afternoon that 202 jobs will be cut companywide — an estimated 20 percent of its workforce. Initial reports bring the total number of remaining employees to around 950.

Focus on the Family is poised to announce major layoffs to its Colorado Springs-based ministry and media empire today. The cutbacks come just weeks after the group pumped more than half a million dollars into the successful effort to pass a gay-marriage ban in California

http://coloradoindependent.com/1528...prop-8-focus-on-the-family-announcing-layoffs

Good, they campaigned themselves to death. :thumbsup2

Interisting update......

karma's a ... um. got edited. oops.

Interisting update......

Focus on Your Own Family :rotfl:

SCHAUDENFREUDE!!

Not sure I agree with this, but thought I would share the news.....

TALLAHASSEE - Gay rights activists plan to demonstrate outside Gov. Charlie Crist's wedding to Carole Rome this month.

The group Impact-Florida has called on its members to gather in pink T-shirts outside First United Methodist Church of St. Petersburg on Dec.12 to "congratulate" Crist and Rome while their wedding takes place inside. The demonstration will continue outside the wedding reception at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in downtown St. Petersburg.

"After the positive congratulatory observance, there will be a candlelight vigil close to the [Vinoy] in downtown St. Pete to mourn the loss of gays right to get married," the group's Web site states, referring to a gay marriage ban that passed by ballot initiative in November.

Read more here....

http://suncoastpinellas.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/01/gay-rights-protest-planned-governors-wedding/

Not sure I agree with this, but thought I would share the news.....

TALLAHASSEE - Gay rights activists plan to demonstrate outside Gov. Charlie Crist's wedding to Carole Rome this month.

The group Impact-Florida has called on its members to gather in pink T-shirts outside First United Methodist Church of St. Petersburg on Dec.12 to "congratulate" Crist and Rome while their wedding takes place inside. The demonstration will continue outside the wedding reception at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in downtown St. Petersburg.

"After the positive congratulatory observance, there will be a candlelight vigil close to the [Vinoy] in downtown St. Pete to mourn the loss of gays right to get married," the group's Web site states, referring to a gay marriage ban that passed by ballot initiative in November.

Read more here....

http://suncoastpinellas.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/01/gay-rights-protest-planned-governors-wedding/

I'm SURE that I dont' agree with this.

I think it's in very poor taste.

I'm SURE that I dont' agree with this.

I think it's in very poor taste.

Granted, demonstrating at a wedding is in very poor taste, but so is supporting Amendment 2 when you orientation and marriage is very much in question. :confused3

Granted, demonstrating at a wedding is in very poor taste, but so is supporting Amendment 2 when you orientation and marriage is very much in question. :confused3

Yeah. But if we're trying to get the "undecided" portion of straight voters on our side, something like this doesn't help us. All they see is "they're protesting his wedding!".

Not good

Yeah. But if we're trying to get the "undecided" portion of straight voters on our side, something like this doesn't help us. All they see is "they're protesting his wedding!".

Not good

Ya, but I'm getting tired of trying to get the " "undecided" portion of straight voters on our side." Trying to reason with people and ask them if they would be kind enough to please give us our rights hasn't worked out so well for us.

The time for nice is past I think. If it's a culture war they want, we'll give them one :scared1:

Hi! I'm just a sympathizer, but a child of the 60's who has participated in many a march. The louder your voices, the better in my opinion. The boycott list that was linked here on the DIS was very helpful to me too. Do what you have to do in a peaceful manner. My heart is with you. :thumbsup2

Ok, I've thought it over, and I now agree with Mike and Rob. There would have to be some pretty compelling reasons for me to protest this guys wedding. I suppose we should respect the "sanctity" of marriage, the irony should be funny if this guy really is marrying his "beard" as Mike suggests.

Another Florida shocker!

So I'm watching the news tonight, and this little gem of a story comes on.

http://www.wesh.com/news/18197018/detail.html

I find it interesting that in this state millions are being spent keeping gays from marrying and adopting, yet bestiality remains to be legal!:scared1:

And not only is it legal, it cant get enough muster to get passed through the house and senate as a law! :scared1:

Senator Aronberg has pushed to get a beastiality law in the state, and he's been shot down.

He'll support a new attempt this year by Senator Nan Rich out of Sunrise.

Aronberg expects that legislation will also fail. He says even though the crime is shocking, what's more shocking is that the state isn't doing anything about it.

"You're dealing with a lot of legislators from rural North Florida who are worried that the language in this well-intended statute could impinge on their farming or rodeos or other things done in rural areas."
:sad2:

I think I have my sign for the next protest.... "Florida: Beastiality OK, Gays adopting NOT OK!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter