Walking to Disney Challenge

Just wish I could get myself really really motivated and START walking...
I guess it really isnt motivation... its just time after a busy day at work
and all the things you have to do to keep your home (ones other job)
functioning!

I will do this!
Congrats to those who are doing well and those who are struggling... you can do it!!! Afterall, your going to Disney World!

Hi everyone! I originally posted back in June and got off to a pretty slow start. Without a trip booked, I had a hard time getting motivated.
I finally convinced my DH that I needed a tangible goal. If I walk 500 miles by Dec 31st, we will book a trip for this time Aug 2006. DH was a bit skeptical at first, but as he's seen my progress and determination thus far, he's pretty sure we're going. The kids, of course, are cheering me on!
I've figured out that I need to walk approx 3.5 miles on the treadmill every day. I've been trying to do 5 miles a day because I know there will be days that I won't be able to get on the treadmill.

Anyways, I've been following this thread and it's amazing to see the progress so many of you have made!

I've got my passport ready - I'll be crossing the border some time next week!

Wowzers, it's 1439.3 miles from my home to the Contemporary (where I want to stay, but no reservations yet.) So I'll adjust it when the reservations are made. And my DS and FBIL haven't got the wedding date set yet, so I'll just figure 38 weeks til then. So I'll walk 6 days a week (along with doing the FIRM), and it'll have to be 6 miles four days, and seven miles 2 days. . .oh my!!! Well it'll cut down on the time I have to mindlessly snack :) I'm gonna try real hard!!

This is a fun thread. I would like to join everyone on the walk to Disney. I will be starting off from Southern NH and walking to BWV. Total distance: 1345.2! Start Date: August 26, 2005

Wow!! This will take me awhile, but when I'm done I'll be at my favorite place! I will be counting walking outside and then when winter closes in I will use any time I spend on the treadmill/bikes at the gym. :sunny:

I'd love to do this. Can anyone recommend a good pedometer I could wear all day at work?

Gee, I just stumbled across this thread (heck, I just stumbled across WISH a couple days ago), and I think it's a fab idea. At a former workplace of mine in North Jersey, we used to do a similarly-themed "Race to the Beach" in the summer. Of course, I've let myself go way too much since those days, and I really, really need to start doing something.
I've committed to "Five for September" and "Lighter for Halloween" thus far, and I think this would be a great way to help keep my interest in walking everyday. I think it's 96 days or so until we next leave for WDW, and I think that's a nice time frame to have a new go at a healthier lifestyle.
Of course, I just looked up the mileage from my home in scenic Reading, PA (yes, we have a pagoda; no, there's no real reason for it, other than somebody in the 1920s thought it would be a good idea for a restaurant...) to the AKL, where we're styaing this trip. 1029 miles. I'd have to walk 10.7 miles a day between now and departure date to get there. Yoi. Don't quite know if I'm up for that, but we'll give it the old PSU try. :paw: :paw: :paw:
Wish me luck...
Laura Q
:drinking1

Woo hoo! I finally reached my first milestone - 100 treadmill miles! I'm right on track for 500 miles by Dec 31st - the point at which I will allow myself to book our trip for Aug 2006.
Although I haven't been dieting(quite the opposite in fact) - I lost 4 lbs in the month of August!

I broke the 300 mile barrier this weekend. We walked over six miles at Six Flags Great Adventure on Saturday. I'm in the longest leg of my journey - the state of Virginia. I have have 30 miles until I reach the North Carolina state line. :cool1:

walk903.JPG

I had posted a couple weeks ago that I just cant get motivated or something.... and then a little more than a week ago... i get in a car accident and things are now even more crazy for me. I normally have to use my car for work, but on days im not going to physical therapy, or covering for a coworker, I can walk to the office, since I am bound to working in there vs out in field. Its just under a mile, maybe I can do this! and there is a slight incline going to office and a larger one coming home.
(hope i dont chicken out).
Anyways, all you others keep up the great work!!!

Well, after my first four days on the journey, I've traveled about 12.8 miles. Picking up after an extended absence from fit-walking, I'm only doing about 3.2 miles an hour. But I'll get there eventually!
LauraQ
:drinking1
12.8/1029 (and miles to go before I sleep)

i just found the address for my resort (POFQ) im going to try walking. Too bad im not going to count all the stairs at school lol. 1031.09 miles to go!

Here's a bump...

I realized that I was wearing my pedometer in the wrong place - a little too far to the side. I had been taking 1 hour walks everyday and ending the day with fewer than 10,000 steps. That was pretty frustrating! It's much better now that I've been wearing it correctly - I'm averaging about 5 miles per day and my total is now 330 miles!

Barrie
330/3083

Hi everyone :wave:

IntenseBlue your map is looking mighty fine!!!!

Debbie, welcome to OHIO! Make sure to eat a buckeye while you're there (yum)

I'm just over 800 miles now. My map is about 120 miles further than I am (I set it as a milestone). I think I just crossed the border into SC.

Keep movin' everyone

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
Hi everyone :wave:

IntenseBlue your map is looking mighty fine!!!!

Debbie, welcome to OHIO! Make sure to eat a buckeye while you're there (yum)

I'm just over 800 miles now. My map is about 120 miles further than I am (I set it as a milestone). I think I just crossed the border into SC.

Keep movin' everyone

Sunny

Thanks Sunny. Congrats on reaching 800 miles!

I don't think I've made it to NC because it's just been too darn hot and humid and I haven't been motivated like I had been at the beginning of the challenge. I am looking forward to cooler days and adding to those miles in the days and weeks ahead.

Sha said:
I had posted a couple weeks ago that I just cant get motivated or something.... and then a little more than a week ago... i get in a car accident and things are now even more crazy for me. I normally have to use my car for work, but on days im not going to physical therapy, or covering for a coworker, I can walk to the office, since I am bound to working in there vs out in field. Its just under a mile, maybe I can do this! and there is a slight incline going to office and a larger one coming home.
(hope i dont chicken out).
Anyways, all you others keep up the great work!!!
You can do it! I am WISHing you the best experience. If you cannot take that many steps just yet, work up to that 1 mile. You have the bestest opportunity. Good luck to you.
ktbutterfly2011 said:
i just found the address for my resort (POFQ) im going to try walking. Too bad im not going to count all the stairs at school lol. 1031.09 miles to go!
IMHO I think they should count! Figure them up some way and make them equate to some distance. You will arrive in no time!

I haven't checked out my distance in a long time, but I have been recording. So I spent tonight doing math. So far I am:
642.04 (gotta love my Garmin)/1047.3. I need to cover another 405.26 miles then I am there.

I am still coveting your maps. I love those, just not going to figure out how in the world you do those.

Hi everyone! :wave:
I made it to North Carolina this week. :cheer2:

I've walked 342.9 of 1020.1 miles since March this year.

I saw the clip-art in other people's siggies and thought it was a good idea to join. I better get started today, it's 909.83 miles to the Contemporary!

I tallied up again today. I made it 786.12/1047. Only 261.06 left! Whoo Hoo.
Had to get new shoes today. I walked out of mine already.

Hi everyone :)

I just broke 1,000 miles yesterday :cool1: :cheer2: :banana: ~324 miles to go. I'm psyched :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Sunny

I LOVE the idea of walking to Disney! As soon as I saw this thread, I rushed out to Wal Mart to buy a pedometer. POFQ is 1045 miles from my front door (according to map quest). I'm on my way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter